Is Jimi Hendrix overated?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
Don't get me wrong, I like his music, but I don't get the people that act like he was the greatest guitarist/musician of all time. I feel the same way about Led Zeppelin. I like some of their music but I don't get the fanatics. So is there something I'm missing? Maybe I'm just not the biggest classic rock fan. Is it because he was ahead of his time in some way? Thoughts...

I think Jimi was an absolute genius. Not overrated at all.

Led Zep on the other hand - i really dislike!

This is all a matter of personal taste though. I generally don't like a lot of late-60s psychedelic rock (of the overblown 20 minute guitar-solo variety) - but i really love Jimi.
He was both "ahead of his time" and steeped in the rhythm'n'blues and early rock'n'roll (having played in both Little Richard's band and the Isley Brothers).
I don't really go in for virtuoso guitar playing - but Hendrix really had a unique, original and wild style and sound.
But most of all, he wrote fucking great songs.
...whereas Led Zeppelin are regarded by many as plagiarists who "borrowed" lots of old blues songs, but didn't credit them to their original composers (generally black blues artists) - and made $millions from the royalties.

As i said though - strictly a matter of opinion.

Hendrix's legacy has been arguably tainted by some of the cash-in releases that were released after his death (especially live stuff).
He was notorious for being picky about his recordings, and it is thought that he would have been dismayed at some of the material that was released posthumously. I really dig his work though - to me it is timeless.

I believe people that praise Jimi love the fact that he was a small black boy that was left handed and learned to play a right handed guitar flipped upside down. Not taking anything away from his music but I think the story is very inspiring.

Seriously?
He happened to be left handed - like quite a few gifted musicians.
Jimi wrote brilliant songs. That's got a lot more to do with it.

yes he was a born lefty, like I said "Not taking anything away from his music"

Jimi, overrated? I grew up listening to him. He was the master and all about the counter-culture.

Fall mountains, just don't fall on me.
Go ahead, Mr. Businessman. You can't dress like me....

(I grew out of the mighty Zeppelin though)

keep making threads like this dude and see what happens. unfriended. ;)

not over rated at all. He created a style and was a master of the strat. SRV is a definitely cleaner but jimi has got feeling. All those hammer ons and pull offs are pretty tough to put together and have it make sense like he does. Big influence on john frusciante and guys like mayer. mayer is a bit more SRV than jimi though.

Music is all about feeling and touch and conveying emotions. Jimi does all of that. It's not always about playing all the right notes. His lyrics are awesome and he was just a cool fucking guy. He can definitely sound sloppy but that's part of his charm.

Listen to little wing man and tell me you don't feel some of that emotion.

For comparison

Here's SRV:

Here's Jimi:

Don't get me wrong, I like his music, but I don't get the people that act like he was the greatest guitarist/musician of all time. I feel the same way about Led Zeppelin. I like some of their music but I don't get the fanatics. So is there something I'm missing? Maybe I'm just not the biggest classic rock fan. Is it because he was ahead of his time in some way? Thoughts...
who are your favourite bands?

his music doesn't particularly do it for me but i don't think hendrix is overrated at all. i don't think his skin color or handedness come into it. he was an incredibly talented guitar player whose style was unique. he wrote and performed soulful, substantial music at a time when the bar was set pretty high.

he gets a lot of attention for the ostentatious electric guitar stuff but he was a great blues player.

alasdair

who are your favourite bands?

I don't really have favorites. There's bands that I like a lot out of different genres but I listen to such a wide variety of music depending on my mood it would be hard to say.

he gets a lot of attention for the ostentatious electric guitar stuff but he was a great blues player.

Maybe that's part of it. I was honestly never much of a blues fan. I do respect it tho.

I find him overrated in certain aspects and underrated in others.

He was not the best technical player of his time. He was as sloppy as they get and much of his freestyle jams are just musical jibberish. I certainly wouldn't even put him in the top 10 of technical guitar payers.

However, He was probably the best showman of his era, or maybe even since. There was no one like Jimi on stage, he had a magnetism that quieted arenas and left the audience in awe. From the way he dressed, to the tricks he pulled on stage, to the acts of smashing guitars (yes, Townsend did this first. But Townsend didn't light the fucker on fire.) He was incredibly inventive in the studio, right up there with the Beatles. He wrote some of the most amazing and memorable songs that we still sing today. His soul bled into his music in such a way that we've rarely (if ever) seen it again. An entire generation identified with his ten fingers and six strings. He was a personality and a songwriter, not the greatest guitar player to me.

I definitely think he gets the recognition he deserves, even if it's for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
I remember non-guitarists saying this when I was a teenager. if you do a google search you'll probably find several pages discussing this exact question.

I would say first you have to put yourself in 1967 and consider the rock scene. The best guitarists from the era had never seen anything like him, he did things with distortion, feedback and sound that no one had even thought of doing. His stage show was also unique and even frightening to some people (mainly women).

Some other things, no one played both rhythm and lead simultaneously quite like he did. I believe he got this idea from Curtis Mayfield but if you are familiar with each player you will realize Hendrix was a lot different. He influenced more guitar players than any other human in history...I could go on.

Also, he was playing what you could consider 'grunge' in the late 60's

Yes he was sloppy at times which was another thing that made him different. (better or worse) You cannot compare SRV to Hendrix- SRV doesn't even exist without Hendrix (he would probably admit this) also SRV wasn't very creative in regards to writing his own material. Having said that, his version of little wing is one the greatest guitar pieces I have ever heard.

Last edited:
^ Jimi was a punk (like all good hippies)!
Top post, i agree. I think a lot of the showmanship embarassed him, ultimately - he wanted to be taken seriously as an artist, rather than performing guitar acrobatics; but damn, he did it well - and indeed changed the way people played rock guitar.

Funnily enough, Lou Reed used to claim he taught Hendrix how to play with that level of feedback and overdriven fuzz.
They did used to jam together (in Lou's Velvet Underground days) - and Reed even inherited one of Hendrix's silk shirts when he died, apparently.
I used to think it was just another outrageous bit of Lou Reed bullshit, but there may be something to it.

But Jimi clearly developed his guitar chops on the "Chitlin Circuit". I don't really know how other people rank guitar players, but for me it is more about feeling than technicality - and to my ears, Jimi had no lack of that.
He certainly rattled the confidence of Britain's "top guitarists" (namely Clapton and Townsend) when he first formed The Experience in London.

IMO no he is not overrated at all. His influences upon music is profound esp in regards to heavy metal and hard rock. Its very possible he created the first rap music. He influenced Miles Davis a great deal. We can role threw a few more people he clearly influenced Prince, Rick James, Lenny Kravitz, Ben Harper, U2, Eddy VH, John Frusciante, David Bowie, Robert Smith (Cure), Lemmy, Queen, Steve Vai. That's just the tip.

He seems sloppy sometimes in his playing, but I think even for Jimi innovation has its difficulties. If you're the first one to go in a direction there is no clear path and exploration means wandering.

He certainly was unconventional. In fact he seemed to light convention ablaze whenever he could. People can argue that the showmanship undermined his artistic standing, but it also profoundly influenced later musical performance. Considering its long standing replication and success id say it was pure marketing genius. Whatever it was I bet Jimi would have looked down his guitar neck at any criticism.. chuckling to himself as he ate out that strat to a bell ringing climax.

Given his musical career was only like half a decade and ended at the ripe old age of 27 I wonder what those years would have brought.

Hendrix is rated right. Some call him best ever, I would agree but there's a bunch of people I have tied at the pinnacle with their own style.

Absolutely not! While it is true as it has been mentioned, he was not the most technical. There are plenty of people who manipulate the fretboard better than he could. Satrani, Vai, Malmsteen, and certainly Buckethead. However none of them would exist if not for Hendrix. He took the guitar into uncharted territories. He completely reinvented the instrument. Quite simply put, there is guitar for prior to the emergence of Hendrix, and there is guitar work after. He may not necessarily be the greatest guitar player ever, but he is without a doubt the greatest guitarist the world will ever know

^ Jimi was a punk (like all good hippies)!
i was referring to his guitar playing during some of the jams (should have pointed that out) i think even during the woodstock performance there was a part that reminded me of cobain style 'grundginess'. (heavy distortion, quick changing barre chords..etc etc.. :)

i was just listening to 'dolly dagger' SRV ripped off parts of the second solo in almost every performance.

Absolutely not! While it is true as it has been mentioned, he was not the most technical. There are plenty of people who manipulate the fretboard better than he could. ....and certainly Buckethead. However none of them would exist if not for Hendrix. He took the guitar into uncharted territories. He completely reinvented the instrument. Quite simply put, there is guitar for prior to the emergence of Hendrix, and there is guitar work after. He may not necessarily be the greatest guitar player ever, but he is without a doubt the greatest guitarist the world will ever know

Too damn right and 100 bonus points for mentioning Buckethead.