• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Is it possible to use benzos responsibly?

Junglabungla42

Greenlighter
To preface this I used to be an alcoholic (or I suppose I still am). I'm talking serious binging since I was 14 due to constant utter debilitating anxiety. When I was in my early 20's I ended up in rehab for alcohol use and I never intended to go back. 2 and a half years later (two weeks to be exact) I relapsed and did a lot of very stupid things, my reason for relapse was being sick of being anxious yet again - for job interviews, dates, social situations, all of it.

Anyway, I've had my problems with benzos in the past, xanax to be precise, but its always felt relatively 'controlled'? When I knew my tolerance was too high, I slowly brought it down using valium, and using a sensible taper came off them completely. But since then, the same problems have occurred from childhood and beyond, crippling anxiety (thus in part the relapse of which I'm feeling is over now completely).

Anyway what I'm asking is - does anyone think it is possible to use benzos sensibly with the above context? I know it sounds perhaps a little bit foolhardy, but I feel like I've just been using other drugs that are far more damaging to my body (like ketamine) to self medicate the anxiety. Or if not benzos anyone have any other reasonable suggestions? Shrooms every now and then for an introspective trip seem to help, but I'm not yet ready to be completely sober, and maybe benzos could help.

If anything I'm just a bit pissed that so many people around me get to use alcohol to 'alleviate their stresses' from time to time and I can't lol. Oh and weed makes me anxious also so that's not a possibility unfortunately.

I had never a Problem abhing benzos. When im under People id like to stay sober and dont wanna feel the annoying effects of an psychoaktive drug. So benzos have its uses especially for the drug pro nerd whos trying to ease any other comedown by using them. Nothing wrong with it id say it eases much in Life
But it hasnt got to be an essential drug.

I had never a Problem abhing benzos. When im under People id like to stay sober and dont wanna feel the annoying effects of an psychoaktive drug. So benzos have its uses especially for the drug pro nerd whos trying to ease any other comedown by using them. Nothing wrong with it id say it eases much in Life
But it hasnt got to be an essential drug.
I completely have no issue with using benzos for say stimulant comedowns and as a 'kill switch' for psychs. So you think low dose daily use could be ok? I feel like I'm asking permission but i'm more or less clueless at this point after my past problems lol.

You said that you were an alcoholic and perhaps you still are. Be careful.
I drank alcoholically from my teens to my early 50s, with brief periods of sobriety here and there.
I tried using benzos therapeutically 3 times. I always ended up abusing the benzos, drinking again, and then addicted to heavy doses of both.
Withdrawal was pure hell, even when under medical care.
I've done a lot of different drugs in my time, and I rarely "swear off" anything. But I will not take another benzodiazepine ever again.

Just be careful.

You said that you were an alcoholic and perhaps you still are. Be careful.
I drank alcoholically from my teens to my early 50s, with brief periods of sobriety here and there.
I tried using benzos therapeutically 3 times. I always ended up abusing the benzos, drinking again, and then addicted to heavy doses of both.
Withdrawal was pure hell, even when under medical care.
I've done a lot of different drugs in my time, and I rarely "swear off" anything. But I will not take another benzodiazepine ever again.

Just be careful.
I'm not going to lie my recent relapse, even if short was under the influence of benzos. That being said my time after rehab for alcohol I was on benzos for a year and was completely sober from booze during that time. After getting off the benzos (for mainly reasons due to my partner and just being sick of being reliant) I then got addicted to ketamine which has since fucked up my body a lot.

My point being is - what is the better of evils. Certainly not alcohol, not ketamine. Maybe benzos could lead to a relapse. To be honest maybe its my recent use of GABAergic substances that's leading me to think this way.

As for yourself now are you totally sober? Withdrawal from alcohol was indeed hell yes, although I found that during rehab I was doped up so much on z drugs at night, Librium and anti-psychotics, it almost made it too easy. I actually asked to be lowered off the benzos and anti-psychotics a week in as I sort of needed to feel 'the pain' of withdrawal if that makes sense. Sounds a bit machoistic now I say it lol.

Nope.
But after decades of severe abuse and addiction to alcohol and various other drugs I've somehow stabilized.
I use kratom fairly heavily during the day and drink a couple beers & smoke a little weed at night.
That's about it.
I was thinking about kratom use, I just heard it can be quite addictive (not that everything else isn't lol). What would you describe the effects are plus potential risks?

I completely have no issue with using benzos for say stimulant comedowns and as a 'kill switch' for psychs. So you think low dose daily use could be ok? I feel like I'm asking permission but i'm more or less clueless at this point after my past problems lol.

yea i ate them for years and never was addicted - don't take them everyday - i took them usually once or twice a week - that was good enough for me

i liked valium the best because of the longer half life so i'd still feel the benefits for a few days after - but i'd usually take 20mg - sometimes just 10mg - but 20mg gave me that nice "whoosh" that i liked :cool:

I have a bunch of Xanax lying around in a box that I inherited when someone I know died. I'm clearing out all those boxes next week and gonna try some. I've never done benzos before so it'll be interesting to get some perspective on them. I've used many drugs in varying habits. I've always had anxiety that I dealt with in my own ways.

I take them occasionally because i sometimes find the benefit is worth the rebound effect. Sometimes I regret it. But I always have to pay back the price of that anxiety relief.

This is because I once was a heavy benzo addict. Actually twice. Horrible drug.

It's sometimes hard to use them responsibly. I've noticed that there's a compulsive need to redose - especially with clonazepam. You take 2 mg and it feels nice for a moment. Then you get this feeling, that this isn't enough - I need to take more. Then you end up with 20+ mg clonazepam in your system. With oxazepam I haven't noticed this same effect, but it's a way weaker benzo.

possibly but not probable.
i spose if one doesnt have exrtreme societal issue mybe the therapudic dose is doable and effctive in a life time use,
i rghtlty do not know.... :unsure:
personally for me if i get on benzos i am innit til they fini. lol hoping to curb my usages amlnd try try try to undertand its a magic man. :)

I was thinking about kratom use, I just heard it can be quite addictive (not that everything else isn't lol). What would you describe the effects are plus potential risks?
I'm certain that I'm addicted to kratom. Don't know how bad my WDs would be, as I've never gone a day without it in about 3 years. I initially got on kratom to get off oxys/hydros. It's definitely a lot cheaper and I don't have to worry about fentanyl. I really don't care if I'm addicted for life as long as I have a steady supply.

There seems to be very little risk involved with kratom itself. There have been cases of bad reactions when mixing it with other drugs. No fatalities in which kratom is the primary culprit that I'm aware of. Compare that with the staggering number of deaths caused by other opioids.

The only side effect I've had is about 30 mins of nausea/dizziness if I take too much-- which I've learned not to do. My only complaint is the volume of kratom I have to consume-- 12 to 14 capsules 4 to 5 times a day. But I'll gladly put up with that to be off the oxys/hydros. At least I'm not scrounging for change towards the end of every pay period. I actually have a little money in the bank at all times.

Edit: I take kratom mainly for the energy boost and mood lift. I get a little relief from chronic pain, too. It doesn't get me "high" exactly--- just improves my general attitude.

Yes, but it certainly takes discipline. But it certainly can be easy to increase your tolerance and start stringing together days of consistent use, which is where the real problems start. So conversely, keeping your tolerance low is really the key, and keep it to intermittent use. Personally, I never experienced the "compulsion to redose", so that's never been an issue for me. Even with Flubro, Flual, and even Clonazolam, I never got into trouble with redosing any of them. In fact, I never really exceeded .5 mg of any of them unless I dosed twice in a day, for example, which was likely to be mid-day, then evening if it happened at all. It is one of the reasons I rather like all of those 3 compounds because a little goes so far. But yeah...I also know many other people who have fucked themselves up royally with various benzos, so as always, proceed with caution.

Also, being very busy and having many responsibilities and obligations, I just don't have time to have a problem with them or any other drug, for that matter.

Yes. I have been for 15+ years and i take less now then i did then. I only get anxiety relief and some help with muscle spasms . I don't get high or try to and stick to the directions on the bottle. I know they are addictive and i'm dependent but they are the only medicine that works and i need some peace in my life.

Is it even possible to abuse benzos? I die never found anything worthwhile or recreational in the substances. Either you take them at the end of q Trip or after spun out on amphetamines, thats it. Solo they are quite lame, its ok if you take a little alcohol with them. But i dont bother. Sure there are the social wrecks who cant stand beeing in public but even then how do you abuse a benzo?

Is it even possible to abuse benzos? I die never found anything worthwhile or recreational in the substances. Either you take them at the end of q Trip or after spun out on amphetamines, thats it. Solo they are quite lame, its ok if you take a little alcohol with them. But i dont bother. Sure there are the social wrecks who cant stand beeing in public but even then how do you abuse a benzo?
Yeah, they can induce mild euphoria at first.
It doesn't last long. Where people fuck up is by chasing that high by taking more&more--- and it just doesn't work. You'll turn into a stumbling amnesiac (or worse), but you won't feel high.
I remember taking my first benzo (Librium) when I was 15. I thought it was wonderful.
I haven't gotten that feeling from a benzo since-- although I certainly tried.

Ofcourse-if they are prescribed from doc.and you use it in minimal active dose without raising tolerance....but even like that after some months you would eventually become addicted to some point

Last edited:
Yeah, they can induce mild euphoria at first.
It doesn't last long. Where people fuck up is by chasing that high by taking more&more--- and it just doesn't work. You'll turn into a stumbling amnesiac (or worse), but you won't feel high.
I remember taking my first benzo (Librium) when I was 15. I thought it was wonderful.
I haven't gotten that feeling from a benzo since-- although I certainly tried.

i repeatedly got that feeling.....

i love valium - they're fun to me :shrug: