• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is it illegal to be under the influence of LSD?

You have no choice in the UK. If he sees you high he's allowed to search you for illegal drugs.

you really have to stick up for yourself with cops, i think they easily get "lost in the uniform," but at the same time don't make yourself an enemy. and sweet jesus hide your drugs next to your ballbags if you see a cop

but it goes both ways; don't expect to be let off if you're driving all fucked up, but if you make respectable, ethical decisions things will generally work out better for you and the people around you

This does not sound likely, since you are not in possession of something that is in your bloodstream, you need to have actual physical control over it to qualify as being in possession. It could also be argued that technically there will be at least a few molecules of - for instance - cocaine in the body of every American (yes, even your grandma). However, I've seen weirder laws in the US, LOL.

yeah you are correct, not sure where I heard what I thought lol. I think it had something to do with dealers just swallowing bags of heroin or what have you before being searched by cops, but i've also seen the videos of cops trying to force them to spit it out. Still I guess that's concealing evidence or some shit.

edit: ha take this, internal possession illegal in South Dakota, http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle-old/326/southdakota.shtml

This is where I got the idea that LSD is out of your system (mostly at least) before the trip is over:

The drug is almost completely eliminated from the body before the peak effects begin, suggesting that it acts as a sort of catalyst, inducing neurochemical changes which subsequently result in the entheogenic experience. Only about 1-10% of injected LSD is excreted unaltered, the remainder as a variety of degradation products.

from http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/lsd/lsd_myth1.shtml and source: Ott J. Pharmacotheon. 1993. pg 128.

Last edited:
This is where I got the idea that LSD is out of your system (mostly at least) before the trip is over
Read the source, I understand where you are coming from. Problem with this kind of sources is you can never know if they are purely scientific, or from 'popular scientific' literature. In a pharmacological piece, vague terms like 'almost completely eliminated' would not really be used. Anyhow, I always like to do my own calculations when I come across this kind of statements. Half-life of LSD is generally accepted to be 3-5 hours; pharmacologists have a rule of thumb that after 5 times the half-life a substance is completely gone (actually 2.5% still remains by that time). So for LSD this would be 15-25 hours, a lot longer than your average LSD trip.

EDIT: The above is not to say that after 5 times the half-life a drug can not be detected in your blood/urine/whatever anymore.

Last edited:
This is going to vary somewhat depending on where you are. I know some states, in the U.S., do have "possession by consumption" type legislation that allow prosecution of intoxicated persons for possession, i'm unsure of how often that is pursued though. I'm pretty sure most places do have public intoxication legislation, and since it is a misdemeanor and doesn't result in any jail time (aside from a night in the drunk tank) it is much cheaper & simpler to plead guilty & pay a fine, probably a couple hundred bucks, including bail & court costs. And if it were to go to trial, the officer's word would likely suffice as evidence of intoxication if there weren't any drug screens performed. I'm not saying this is right or good, just what would likely happen. I used to work in a law office so i've seen a lot of these types of things. I know a number of people that have gotten charged with "DUI Other" while not intoxicated, or while intoxicated but without ever being given drug or alcohol tests. Its shitty, but it does happen, and there's fairly little you can do about it, unless you've got just a whole bunch of money to throw at it to prove a point. I'm all for that but unfortunately i'm rather poor.

All I can say is that cops are not out to get you man.
They've got a job to do, and it's an important one.
It's about keeping the safety and peace intact though.
We're not criminals (usually), and as long as you're being cool, you're cool. :)

Cops are out to get drugs off the streets.
This is different than being after the users.

Being high isn't enough reason for cops to come after you, unless you're dangerous or valuable to their ulterior motive.

But they're never going to get drugs off the streets so all they can do instead is catch personal users.

I don't think they can arrest you for being high unless you're causing a nuisance but they can certainly lock you until you are no longer a danger to either yourself or others.

Slightly OT: The funniest instance of people tripping around cops was after a Dead show in Long Beach CA in 1987. The concert let out. People were saucered. The arena is by a marina and cops were standing on the corner, about 4 of them cluelessly watching the freaks. One real long haired freak with about 8 other people who were tripping shouts out right in front of the cops "it's the cops, act natural" and proceeds to walk with spine straight past the police as they look at him. Everyone following just pissed in their pants laughing and the cops did nothing of course as they were use to the Deadhead crowd that brought the city money every year at concert time. It was a classic funny moment. You probably had to be there. What is "natural" when a group of people are tripping?

Anyway, don't be so paranoid. People gave good advice. Just use regular common sense and you can have a life full of peaceful trips. Stay away from non peaceful people who are looking for trouble if you are tripping. Dark sunglassed help in many ways. Going into a supermarket tripping it's important to not look anyone in the eye,it makes them uncomfortable because they feel like they are naked when someone tripping is looking at them, like you can see into their soul, and that may be true. =D

public intoxication, on any substance, is against the law in every state. You could be impaired on an otc and they can arrest you.

The legal definition of Public Intoxication follows: "A person commits the crime of public intoxication if he appears in a public place under the influence of alcohol, narcotics or other drug to the degree that he endangers himself or another person or property, or by boisterous and offensive conduct annoys another person in his vicinity."

I'm sure they could arrest you for being public intoxication if it was obvious you were high. But unless you seemed to be a threat to yourself or others they would probably try to stay away from you- lol

Arrest and prosecution are separate, but I suppose it would make for a much less enjoyable experience.

I'm sure they could arrest you for being public intoxication if it was obvious you were high like stated above. But unless you seemed to be a threat to yourself or others they would probably try to stay away from you.

Why would cops try to stay away from me?
If anything, the authorities are the people most likely to confront you.

My point is just that in America the law defines public intoxication as necessarily involving either being intoxicated to the degree of endangering themselves or property, or of being a nuisance or annoyance to those in the vicinity.

Even if you happened to be arrested in America as being intoxicated on any substance, if you were not meeting either two of the aforementioned characteristics, you could affect a legitimate defense and avoid conviction based on a literal interpretation of the law.

^
"Indeed, Luna – a bassist who has played with Austin's rocker-girl group the Platforms and with her own group, Moonticca & the Texas Clock – says she was arrested near the corner of Fourth and Red River precisely because she mouthed off to Austin Police Department officers when she didn't immediately comply with a request to exit a vehicle in which she was a passenger after it was pulled over for a traffic infraction. "

Arguing with the police and acting like a smart-ass will get you nowhere but jail. Still, again, arrest is not conviction.