• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is it illegal to be under the influence of LSD?

Michaelsd

Greenlighter
If I was walking around my city tripping,or even at a party maybe,and I was confronted by a police officer, can he arrest me?
Any loopholes to avoid arrest?

the best loophole would be to avoid public places if you're new to tripping, or if you're on a high dose.

i've walked past cops while tripping on LSD and even made small talk with them. just don't act insane and give them anything to confront you about.

don't admit to being under the influence of anything. unless maybe alcohol if you're of legal drinking age and not driving, but even then, you can get public intoxication. you can get a ticket for disorderly conduct for nearly anything. so just don't piss the cop off, and he won't mess with you.

don't carry shit on you.

hopefully most of what i said was obvious :)

Not "new" to tripping but I still can't exactly keep a sentence going while tripping.
and yes most of what you said was common sense :p
And I already was taking into consideration that I had nothing on me,and that I was just tripping.
thanks L:)

Probably better to put under legal discussion but yes, being under the influence of LSD is illegal pretty much everywhere. If you're going out in public, wear sunglasses. Or maybe you're lucky like me and have dark brown eyes so no one can tell if your pupils are dilated.

This is kind of an interesting question. I would have thought tho to be under the influence of it you would need to be in possession of it in the first place, which most certainly is a crime, barring some kind of legal study you were taking part in or something.

^ I believe legal discussion is being shut down. If your pupils are dilated and its night time, this would be normal. Like the above posters said, people generally notice that you're intoxicated if you ACT intoxicated. I've been in front of LEO's while intoxicated. They just didn't know because I acted completely normal. I have a lot of experience with psychedelics though and that might've been harder to pull off as a newcomer.

Basically, if you can handle your stuff, make sure you don't have anything on you and you'll be fine.

If not, avoid public situations while under the influence.

If I was walking around my city tripping,or even at a party maybe,and I was confronted by a police officer, can he arrest me?

You're kidding, right? Award for dumbest question ever. What are you, 10 years old or something?

OK here's the answer: all cops get an injection that causes them to grow antenna that lets them SMELL any hallucinogens in your system from a mile away. So if you are tripping, and you even just SEE a cop in the area, your ONLY HOPE is to go right up to them, kick them in the nuts and run as fast as you can. Do that for us, M'Kay? 8)

Of course he can, it's public intoxication. If you're lucky, though, you may get some cops who won't go through the trouble of doing it if you don't seem like you'll be a problem, even if they know. Do NOT count on that, but I've seen it happen. A few friends of mine all had to talk to a cop on 10 hits of acid each who clearly knew they were tripping, supposedly they were being pretty obvious. After talking to a backup cop he asked them "What's the meaning of life?" and one of them responded "Happiness... and... yellow!" He told them to go home and stay safe.

The cops don't know you're tripping. Nobody knows you're tripping unless you tell them. Don't tell anyone you're tripping unless you want them to know you're tripping. Yes, your pupils are huge, but that's not the sort of thing people notice unless they're used to looking for it.

EDIT: Off-topic posts have been removed -- please stay on topic, and for the record it's never the wrong time to be courteous.

Last edited:
i had a buddy that was walking around with his chick shroomin a cop approached them and said "the look of your eyes tells me you need to get back to your house" and left, they got very lucky, just depends on your situation and how the cop is feeling at that point and time. when i trip i stay in a private area where i know ill be safe the whole entire time and i wont get hassled by anyone, if i do go on a walk i go when im close to baseline so im not acting funny or having weird movements

IMO it is totally illegitimate and illegal for a cop to tell you "Go home, ***I feel*** you are not acting properly." Unless you are falling down, swerving into people, knocking shit over as you would be if drunk... just because you seem a little "off" or are laughing alot, does NOT give a cop ANY right to arrest you. Last I checked, there are no "look in the eyes" that is against the law and can result in an arrest. Unless he wants to charge you with public intox and can back that up with an alcohol test, there is NO legal way a cop can just tell you he does not like your looks or how you are acting and make you go home. This is NOT Nazi Germany, no matter what some fascist pig may wish... he's just being a total dickhead, getting off on an ego rush, trying to prove he is Great & Powerful. Just quiet down a little, act polite and move on till you are out of the asshole's radar.

IMO it is totally illegitimate and illegal for a cop to tell you "Go home, ***I feel*** you are not acting properly." Unless you are falling down, swerving into people, knocking shit over as you would be if drunk... just because you seem a little "off" or are laughing alot, does NOT give a cop ANY right to arrest you. Last I checked, there are no "look in the eyes" that is against the law and can result in an arrest. Unless he wants to charge you with public intox and can back that up with an alcohol test, there is NO legal way a cop can just tell you he does not like your looks or how you are acting and make you go home. This is NOT Nazi Germany, no matter what some fascist pig may wish... he's just being a total dickhead, getting off on an ego rush, trying to prove he is Great & Powerful. Just quiet down a little, act polite and move on till you are out of the asshole's radar.

Well, actually there are a lot of places where cop can just tell you to do something and then charge/arrest you for not complying.

My whole observation about this is to just not be there. If you, op, have any worry about running into a cop while on psychedelics right now. Imagine trying to hold your composure around one. So... your question is irrelevant don't be in the situation.

Once some cops harassed me about my pupils being massive while on dxm. They thought I was drunk but i told them I hadn't had anything to drink. I couldn't walk or talk properly, nevertheless I ended up asking them for a ride downtown. They drove me halfway, let me out and I threw up all over the side walk. Nothing resulted from the experience. In a normal state of mind i'd never do such a thing but most cops aren't out there trying to bust you for being high on psychedelics.

If you are causing trouble, making a scene or acting dangerously then obviously the cops should do something about it. Otherwise, they won't even bother you IME. Also I wouldn't go up to a cop and be like "arrest me i'm on 10 hits of LSD", as long as you avoid such stupidity and aren't holding any drugs, you will have zero problems.

The worst part is feeling paranoid around cops while tripping, it has made me have some unnecessarily bad trips, even though the cops never bothered me.

and for the original question, I think it's illegal to be in possession of the drug if you are high on it as it is in your body (depending on geographical location). This however would get tricky as something like LSD will be eliminated from your body before your trip is even over, so technically you would not be in possession of it. Not to mention the difficulty in proving that you had said drug in your system, maybe i'm wrong here but that's how I remember it.

Can he? Sure, a cop can do just about anything he wants to do.
Will he? Unlikely unless you're being an idiot.

In most cases, LEO's won't bother to arrest you just for tripping because they'll have all the paperwork & hassles of booking you, and the case will likely get tossed out in court. Remember, courts require proof and standard drug screens do not test for LSD.

Like anything else in live, be chill and you'll be fine.

it is not illegal but you know what some police can be like..... so maybe keep a straight face

if you can't string a sentence together you could pretend you only know how to speak a different language!

Yep. Totally illegal. Send your LSD to me and I'll dispose of humanely.

Remember, courts require proof and standard drug screens do not test for LSD.

It wouldn't be a blood test - you'd get an impairment test. That would be all the evidence a court would need.

If a pig sees you behaving in an odd way then he is entitled to stop and search you for drugs. He also would then have a duty of care towards you - so he couldn't just let you walk off down the street if he thought you were out of your mind on drugs and a danger to yourself or anyone else. He'd either take you to the station and lock you up or, if you were a child, take you home to the custody of your parents.

I sense a lot of passive-agressiveness towards the police here... An officer telling a group of tripping people they should go home is not even remotely the same as any of the shit that happened in Nazi germany. Besided that, what you actually should compare it with is the stasi in Eastern Germany during the Cold War, although even then it is not in the same league. But I doubt your knowledge of World War II goes anywhere beyond Inglourious Basterds... To me, it just sounds like a cop trying to keep a group of youngsters out of trouble, or perhaps keeping in mind the peace in the neighborhood.

I think it's illegal to be in possession of the drug if you are high on it as it is in your body (depending on geographical location).
This does not sound likely, since you are not in possession of something that is in your bloodstream, you need to have actual physical control over it to qualify as being in possession. It could also be argued that technically there will be at least a few molecules of - for instance - cocaine in the body of every American (yes, even your grandma). However, I've seen weirder laws in the US, LOL.

LSD will be eliminated from your body before your trip is even over
This is an urban myth...

there is NO legal way a cop can just tell you he does not like your looks or how you are acting and make you go home.

Er..yeah he can Dwayne. If a cop encounters you stoned out of your fucking mind and lets you walk off down the street and you walk into the road and cause a traffic accident that kills 3 kids he will lose his job. He will lock you up until you are no risk to yourself or the public.