• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is DMT really the most powerful psychedelic?

wykydtron

Bluelighter
Is DMT really the most powerful psychedelic, or does it just have this reputation (if not here, then elsewhere) because of the ease by which one can break through taking it? Would the maximum dose of LSD or psilocybin a person could take without blacking out really have less powerful effects? Does it even make sense to measure these experiences in terms of power or profundity?

Thats a good point. Pehaps its got its reputation for the accecibility of its profound states. Then again i've never tried it.

by weight its not the most 'powerful' is it? I know LSD dosages are small

I don't think it makes much sense to rank psychedelics in terms of their "power." DMT is what it is, and LSD is what it is, and they have overlapping uses and we group them into similar categories but in the end they are different chemicals with completely different cosmic signatures.

^+1, "power" is the wrong term for sure. But when speaking of relative potency, there are several psychedelics more potent than DMT, lsd being the most potent.

And if we're talking the ability to completely destroy your reality within seconds...then still I'd say 5-meo-dmt or salvia are more powerful

^+1, "power" is the wrong term for sure. But when speaking of relative potency, there are several psychedelics more potent than DMT, lsd being the most potent.

I think there's a benzodifuran or two more potent than LSD?

Last edited:
I don't know about power, it's very psychedelic. Perhaps that's what people mean by power.

At the doses people generally take them at.. Dmt is more powerful... in that way I suppose...

But all that has to do with are the doses..

Maybe if you took 20mgs of lsd you'd be flying through alternate realities too...haha.

Intuitively or experientially I would be tempted to say yes.

But in all truth your question cannot be answered since it is a matter of subjective opinion rather than being objectively quantifiable.

Power meaning, ego crushing/new reality creating/life changing. DMT is in a 3 way tie with salvia and 5-meo-dmt.

Yea it is and it is even produced naturally in your body by your pineal gland when you are born during rem sleep, during meditation and when you die. Its really interesting to read about it.

Yea it is and it is even produced naturally in your body by your pineal gland when you are born during rem sleep, during meditation and when you die. Its really interesting to read about it.

At risk of sounding like a total dick, the scientist in me must point out that those ideas are only speculation (mostly originated by Strassman), and are by no means actually scientifically proven.

At the doses people generally take them at.. Dmt is more powerful... in that way I suppose...

But all that has to do with are the doses..

Maybe if you took 20mgs of lsd you'd be flying through alternate realities too...haha.

But, that's the question. At the maximum dosage of each is there really any difference in profundity or power or whatever you want to call it? Most people can't get their hands on that much LSD, and if they can, they're probably not going to take it all at once because it'd be quite costly and also because it would last a very long time. But, anyone that can get DMT can get enough to take them to the higher levels and only has to invest a couple of minutes in the experience itself.

Last edited:
Power meaning, ego crushing/new reality creating/life changing. DMT is in a 3 way tie with salvia and 5-meo-dmt.

I don't know. I just read about a guy's experience "thumbprinting" and it sounded pretty ego crushing, and life changing to the point of being in an altered state of consciousness for the rest of his life.

Taking 20 mgs of LSD would be a hell of a lot more intense then smoking 20 mgs of DMT

I couldn't even imagine what something like that would do to you , you'd probably feel it forever :D

I don't think that's fair since 1% of that amount is enough for an effective experience for LSD while the same does not go for DMT. The fact that its physically safe does not mean that we shouldn't interpret it as some very particular kind of overdose. For DMT the difference between a medium experience and a breakthrough is so small in terms of dosage that we might call it an inherent effect and not so much an overdose effect.

The threeway tie with salvia and 5-MeO-DMT sounds reasonable but it seems that 5-HO-DMT is also one of the big boys if you are able to get a decent amount in high purity and correct administration. Apparently it is notoriously difficult to purify yourself but it might be more powerful than N,N-DMT in ways...

Taking 20 mgs of LSD... I couldn't even imagine what something like that would do to you , you'd probably feel it forever :D

Ceiling effect. Einsteins theorie's, so far out you are back where you started from.

27 King Tuts (*appx 150 mics each in 1982) resulted in a back to where it started trip. One one hand very condensed intricate visuals that could be ignored and almost normal again. Funny enough 4 of the Tuts resulted in a heavier "far out" trip. 27 too much and not enough. It lasted only a little longer than a rec dose. It is a strange concept I'll never forget. Although growing up "puddling" (a little puddle of liquid in the palm of your hand mostly done at Dead shows) by people was pretty common. Most agreed in the ceiling effect. Cannabis also has this effect also not surprisingly.

But yeah, what does powerful mean? I think salvia takes that prize as most people find a heavy salvia trip is way too much for them. It seems DMT and salvia do not have a ceiling effect but may cause blackout at extremely large doses. But maybe that is the ceiling effect of these.

Salvia is really weird , but it is extremely powerful stuff. I probably tripped on the stuff maybe a hundred times or so over the last few years. Most of the trips I would be focusing on an object or painting around the house where I was at and as the salivia would take effect the object would be stretched and torn into fractal like shapes. And it would feel like I was being pulled super hard the through some type of tunnel or something , it was really crazy stuff. Talking about this now kinda makes me wanna smoke salvia again :)

I consider dmt the most PSYCHEDELIC psychedelic. It also feels the most natural, for how high you get (kinda hard to explain this). But to get as high on acid or shrooms, there is way too much body load and more confusion.

i think, as has been said before, intuitively i would go with dmt as the most powerful hallucinogen, though this obviously cant be quantified. salvia does equal this but i find no pleasure in salvia.

my 2 cents.

The guy who said this sounds pretty credible:

"Thumbprints are not weighed out. By todays dosage sizes the amount would be in the hundreds or higher. It's more like how many sheets would a thumbprint be not doses."

"There is a massive difference between 500mcg and a thumbprint.
There not even comparable trips. As for saturation effect this is from medical research in the 50's comparing doses of lsd. There may not be a notacable difference between 1000 and 2000 mcg. There is a huge difference between 1000mcg. and 40 or 50 mg. Of course the reseachers never ventured into this dosage range. As for Jonathon Ott and Ram Dass I would venture to say neither has had a thumbprint. The quote you printed of Ram Dass is dealing with tolerance anyway not saturation levels.Taking 2400mcg of acid a day for weeks would be alot different than taking 40,000mcg one time. I know close to a hundred people that have had thumbprints and each one would laugh there ass of if someone told them there was no difference between 500mcg. and 50,000mcg.
As for futher clarification try eating 500mcg. and a couple weeks later stick your finger in some LSD crystal and lick it. Then you can see just how similar experiances they are."

Last edited: