• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Is Cannabis Truly a Psychedelic?

Some of the best stuff I smoked in the 70s was sold as Panama Red. Who knows where it really came from but it was indeed reddish in color.
In 1975 it sold for $30 an ounce.

We called the first gold to hit the market, "yellow pot".
It was quite good, and happy, pot.
We always called that Colombian Gold. Again, who knows where it really came from but it was quite good.
In the late 70s it jumped to $35 an ounce and I thought that price was outrageous.

We always called that Colombian Gold. Again, who knows where it really came from but it was quite good.
In the late 70s it jumped to $35 an ounce and I thought that price was outrageous.
Yeah. Sold up the chain as "gold", but we said, "It's so gold it's yellow.".
Colombian Redbud was indeed awesome, the best. Panama borders Colombia and used to be part of it.
You probably knew it came from that lowland area and was exported from Colombia later (in the Colombian days). From Panama earlier, in the Mexican days.
The gold was supposedly from the mountains around Santa Marta.
Mr's Olsen said Colombian mountain grown Folger's was, "The richest kind."

Have_You_Tried_Mountai_Grown_Folger%2527s%253F_Print_Ads_04806be8-f0cd-49d3-a1c9-0958379197d7.jpg

"The judge don't know when red's in town
He keeps well hidden underground
But everybody's acting lazy
Falling out and hangin' 'round
My woman said, "hey pedro
You're actin' crazy like a clown"
Nobody feels like working
Panama red is back in town"

Last edited:
yeah
hedonistic and makes you want more. some sort of withdrawals, even if minor.

alcohol and heroin are better agents of escapism. Weed does not always bring people to total state of indifference after all.
Escaping into what with alcohol and heroin a black hole haha?!

yeah, I am no sure why I had those connotations to the word that I had and I kinda took some liberties when using it that wrong way most people do not.

Weed used to be only ever a pure dissociative for me, but since I took acid 2 years ago, it's this very funky mixture of the two.

I get dissociative OEV mixed in with typically bright colors (something like pink or green).. It especially shows when its edibles or concentrates. So for me its a weird, but healthy mix of the two.

The word 'psychedelic' is not really well-defined. In its original context of describing the effects of LSD and mescaline, it was a little poetic, vague, and more catchy than actually useful, and in the context of just being a label for drugs that work with the same mechanism of action as LSD and mescaline, it's essentially just an arbitrary label.

Can cannabis actually be useful like the classical psychedelic drugs, I think is the question? In my experience and opinion, absolutely yes. I actually believe that Δ9-THC is one of the most powerful and profound teachers, given the respect it deserves. It also has a handy bonus of being essentially like two different trips in one because of how different the effects are between a route of administration that bypasses first-pass metabolism (like inhalation) and one that doesn't (like oral).

As with most powerful drugs, I feel that Δ9-THC is not easily defined. However, if I use it with the right set and setting and am willing to accept and give into the effects that it has in store for me, I do find it to be both extremely useful and extremely memorable. This is, of course, modulated by the way it is used. With low dosages of smoked cannabis such as taking a few hits off of a small pipe, I find it mostly comparable to drugs like 2C-C, 2C-B, and 2C-I, where the visual effects are mostly flashy and simple and the headspace is a little confusing but mostly fun. With high dosages of smoked cannabis such as taking big hits off a bong, I find the effects to shift into a different plateau of experience and become more similar to the likes of 2C-E, psilocin, methoxetamine, and salvinorin A. When taken orally in the dosages I have experimented with so far, I find it to be more similar to the likes of LSD, ETH-LAD, and diphenhydramine.

Yesterday I had an extremely powerful trip from taking three (I think) bong hits in the morning before taking a long, hot shower, and I've been thinking about this thread ever since. Δ9-THC requires me to give into its effects in a way that other similarly powerful molecules I've experienced do not, and in a way that I suspect would probably be difficult for a lot of people, and I imagine is probably why a lot of people stop using it due to problems like paranoia at least as they often claim. It's rare that I am broken down in the way that a powerful cannabis trip will do to me. By the end, I was crying in a completely full and relieving way that was both blissful in its release and terrifying in the mind trip that pushed me to that point and mind-blowing in the way that it all played out. For many hours afterwards I simply enjoyed a psychedelic-like afterglow of reflection and appreciation of the profundity, permeated with a sort of satisfied sadness, which I find notably distinct from how the afterglow of a lower dosage sometimes makes me feel happy but unsatisfied.

I haven't yet experienced something as profound from oral Δ9-THC, but I'm working with it. So far, I find it much better for experiencing vivid hallucinations that are as if seen with the eyes rather than the mind's eye, the latter being mostly what smoked cannabis tends to do for me. Edibles are fun but I definitely feel like there is something big waiting around the corner from where I have pushed them to so far. I have little doubt that I'm going to consider them a special and useful tool for a long time to come.

So, is cannabis a psychedelic? I have no problems considering it to be a useful drug alongside the other classical psychedelics, personally. In fact, I have many times considered that it may actually be my favorite trip in some ways, providing visuals, visions, and mind trips that can exceed those produced by many other substances under the right circumstances, although also providing lighter and more recreational experiences more easily than other substances too. Still, as with all drugs, I think what anyone specifically gets out of it will be congruent to what they need and are ready to get out of drugs in general. I wouldn't continue to use it if I did not think it was useful to me, but I am glad that it is.

I think that about sums up my thoughts on the matter.

thc has affinity to 5ht-2a and apparently it also causes phenethylamine release that promotes serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine release and apparently also acetylcholine.

thc has affinity to 5ht-2a and apparently it also causes phenethylamine release that promotes serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine release and apparently also acetylcholine.

It's not really correct to say that Δ9-THC has affinity for 5-HT2A receptors. It has affinity for CB1 receptors, which can form receptor complexes with 5-HT2A receptors. It essentially makes them like a single receptor that can bind two different types of drugs, and in that specific way where those specific complexes can form, Δ9-THC will signal through the same pathways as a 5-HT2A receptor agonist would by binding to the CB1 receptor side of that complex. However, it still doesn't work overall like the drugs we refer to as 5-HT2A receptor agonists, as it does not bind to the 5-HT2A receptor side of that or any receptor complex. It's still a different type of drug and mechanism from things like LSD and psilocin. Lots of drugs can signal through or trigger activation of 5-HT2A receptor-related pathways in indirect ways.

CB1 receptor agonists have very complex and wide-ranging effects on the brain. I have used several and do find them all to be relatable to psychedelics in a similar way to how Δ9-THC is. I wouldn't be confident enough to try to scientifically link any one of its subjective effects to any one of its many brain activity changes yet, though. I do hope our scientific understanding eventually gets developed enough to be able to say those kinds of things with confidence.

The diheteromers also have different interactions with the intracellular g protein signaling complexes which alters the response further, although I think that's a bit understudied

The diheteromers also have different interactions with the intracellular g protein signaling complexes which alters the response further, although I think that's a bit understudied

Yeah, it's definitely all very complex and not straightforward. Like, something I rarely see mentioned is that the CB1-5-HT2A receptor heterodimer does technically signal the same way seemingly regardless of whether a CB1 receptor agonist or a 5-HT2A receptor agonist is attached to it separately, but when you have both types of drugs attached simultaneously, the interactions cancel each other out and have the opposite effect on signaling. So, for instance, if you wanted to consider this heterodimer as a potential source of overlap between the effects of cannabis and psychedelics, you also have to take into consideration that it could be that that is the truth when both types of drugs are used separately, but that it's specifically an effect that you won't get from combining both at the same time, which people often do and base their perceptions of psychedelics in general on. So, there's definitely a lot more going on than Δ9-THC binding to the CB1-5-HT2A receptor heterodimer and therefore being psychedelic. Still, I won't discount it as a possible site of meaningful overlap nonetheless, I still think it's interesting. But yeah, I think it's clear we're still only in the early phases of understanding this kind of stuff. Drug discovery and neuroscience research should only be getting much crazier in the upcoming years.

It can be TrueType psychedelic but all in all I’d call it a psychedelic sedidative.

There is not really a connection to this topic but classical psychedelics like psilocybin or lsd trigger the activation of pla2 which then releases arachidonic acid which is also a precursor of anandamide. No idea what you can make out of this…

There is not really a connection to this topic but classical psychedelics like psilocybin or lsd trigger the activation of pla2 which then releases arachidonic acid which is also a precursor of anandamide. No idea what you can make out of this…

I'll do you one better: they also trigger the release of 2-arachidonoylglycerol (2-AG), the other major endocannabioid, through activation of PLC.

There seems to be little doubt that when 5-HT2A receptor agonists activate the receptor, it leads to subsequent downstream activation of CB1 receptors as well. It's not at all infeasible that activation of CB1 receptors is actually an important part of what produces the effects of 5-HT2A receptor agonists. I don't believe we know enough about it to say with any confidence which effects it might contribute to in particular, though.

Reactions: izo