• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Is Cannabis Truly a Psychedelic?

Frog Dreams

Bluelighter
Marijuana is a weird psych... is it a psych?

LSD, mescaline, psilocin, DMT, 5-meo-DMT - they all fit together, for me.
They are all part of the same family.

Marijuana makes me hallucinate geometric patterns like the other psychedelics, but it clouds me whereas the other psychedelics provide clarity.

Today, I've had 4 tabs of LSD (620mcg), five full-strength beers, and I am eating my way through about 10 inches of a San Pedro cutting.

I am perfectly clear.

I want to have marijuana. It has been my staple for a long time... but I know - if I have it - it will take me backwards.

Does it take anyone forwards, spiritually?
Or is it more like alcohol and heroin?

Even alcohol doesn't cloud me like large doses of THC... Is this because I have abused it for so long?

I'm almost ready to say goodbye to marijuana.

Ultimately, I don't think it makes me happy.

I suspect it makes me unhappy.

The drug isn't the problem, I don't think... but maybe it is.

I've already had more weed in my life than most people will ever consume.

What is the definition of psychedelic drugs?

I did some reading briefly earlier in the week and it seems like the main prerequisite for psychedelics is particular 5HT receptors?

It's my (limited) understanding that marijuana is more associated with cannabinoid receptors?

yeah
hedonistic and makes you want more. some sort of withdrawals, even if minor.

alcohol and heroin are better agents of escapism. Weed does not always bring people to total state of indifference after all.

someone on reddit was telling me it's not a psychedelic because of how the brain reacts to it isn't the same as real psychedelic drugs. i forget the exact science they used. they were saying it's still considered psychoactive though.

i personally love how weed makes me feel. usually raises my heart rate a bit for a short period of time which i like and then it makes me tired and relaxed if i stop smoking it through out the day. weed is one of those drugs where every one responds differently though.

salvia is another drug that i can't really grasp that it's supposedly not traditionally a psychedelic. by one definition it totally is a psychedelic, but compared to other psychedelics and what it does to the brain it's supposedly a disassociative. the way i think is that disassociatives and pot are still psychedelics by one definition. people on reddit definitely disagree though.

It certainly can be. As a child I'd often throw a quarter of hash onto a frozen pizza, cover it with extra cheese and bang it in the oven. Tripping balls would be an understatement..

I consider cannabis psychedelic. Honestly we have only had a few labels of what drugs could be. Use to be stimulants, depressants, and psychedelics. Now we have gabapentinoids, Salvia and all kinds of effects that do not fit into the older categories. We are going to need about 100 new labels as we discover different plants and drugs that have different effects.

But to me cannabis is like salt on a french fry. The icing on the cake. And enhancer that works well. Not a big smoker, but take a few pulls a day out of a glass pipe keeps me content. I tend to go all day without smoking till just after dinner.

Easily. The first time I got really, really blasted was on Panama Red (I date myself). I swear I became a red hot metal tire rolling through cold butter, throwing off sparks as it moved/rolled. Another time I saw the music notes drift lazily out of the speakers as Alan Parson Project played. I still get visual patterning (open eyed) and a swirling jumbled up mix of colours with closed eyes. I vote yes.

Tom
(and then there was the undulating road....)

Psychedelic comes from the classical Greek ψυχή δηλοῦν (psyche/soul/mind + manifesting).

So in reality, almost all DOAs are psychedelics.

No doubt an overenthusiastic Wikipedian pointed out that THC isn't a 5HT2a ligand.

But neither are things like scopolamine, muscimol and salvinorin A but I think it safe to say that they all produce vivid hallucinations. So even specifying that a given drug must produce such effects doesn't actually limit one to the 5HT2a receptors.

Weed is weird. I'm a very creative person, but when I regularly consume it, my creativity almost completely disappears. If I stop, it comes back, but it isn't until my first session after a break that my mind is absolutely flooded with ideas.

I dunno if it's a psychedelic in the traditional sense. It does seem to cloud and 'close' my mind but only when abused.

Psychedelic comes from the classical Greek ψυχή δηλοῦν (psyche/soul/mind + manifesting).

So in reality, almost all DOAs are psychedelics.

No doubt an overenthusiastic Wikipedian pointed out that THC isn't a 5HT2a ligand.

But neither are things like scopolamine, muscimol and salvinorin A but I think it safe to say that they all produce vivid hallucinations. So even specifying that a given drug must produce such effects doesn't actually limit one to the 5HT2a receptors.

haha lol

@AlsoTapered

Muscimol doesn't feel at all like other "classic" psychs to me.

I have a shitload of experience with Amanita Muscaria. I know the drug more intimately than most people.

I'm not sure that I'd describe it as hallucinogenic. You do have visions, but they are unlike "typical" hallucinations. There are no geometric patterns. There are no open eye visuals. You can turn off (and turn on) the visions at will.

I object less to it being called a hallucinogen, than a psych. It isn't a psych, IMO. There is almost no overlap other than the divinity aspect (both psychs and muscimol are a direct pathway to God).

Can't say about salvia because I've never had it.

Ketamine causes hallucinations. Datura causes hallucinations. Amphetamines cause hallucinations.

It's too broad a definition.

I started this thread because it occurred to me recently that I've never understood the definition of psychedelic drugs... and I still don't.

LSD is unmistakably very closely related to psilocin. Likewise with mescaline.

Salvia and muscimol may have similarities, but (for me) the latter doesn't belong in the same category.

At the end of the day, categories don't matter.

I was playing with the idea of stopping all drug use except for psychedelics (because I consider them healing and non-harmful) but I still want to have salvia one day and I am very much looking forward to the next Muscaria season. I find it difficult to define precisely which drugs are good for me and which drugs are bad.

Instead of deciding what I should consume based on imperfect classifications, I should decide what not to consume on a case-to-case basis.

Halloween coming...

Marijuana...

Today, I've had 4 tabs of LSD (620mcg), five full-strength beers...

In that case how you can compare cannabis, NOT MARIHUANA, to LSD is beyond me a i've always thought of those 2 as of a stairway vs an elevator: the 1st still relies on the user,s own motivation while the other leaves no option but to explore the upper floors... Multiintoxication shouldn't even be tolerated in any case but this is a place of repent sinners sticking to the Norml stance, if not the $¢ientology $e¢t as sometimes i genuinely wonder.

Has elements of a psychedelic. Has elements of a dissociative as well.
Answer, a little bit.
the dissociative aspect of it is very prominent IMO.

One time I had been awake for 40+ hours, had some damn good bud and it was like every element and piece of the reality I observed collapsed into separateness. It is hard to explain.

One time I had been awake for 40+ hours, had some damn good bud and it was like every element and piece of the reality I observed collapsed into separateness. It is hard to explain.
I can easily see that happening but I'm guessing that the sleep deprivation played a big role in that effect.

When I used to take acid a lot I liked to smoke weed towards the end of the trip to give it a boost and keep tripping a little longer.

Has elements of a psychedelic. Has elements of a dissociative as well.
Answer, a little bit.
^this^

Weed has psychedelic (and dissociative) properties but it isn't fully one or the other-- it's a unique and complicated substance in a class by itself.

Egzoset said:
In that case how you can compare cannabis, NOT MARIHUANA, to LSD is beyond me

I'm thoroughly confused by numerous parts of your post... All of it, honestly.

What is the difference between marijuana and marihuana?
What is the difference between marijuana/marihuana and cannabis?

When did I equate them or directly compare them?

This thread is about how to classify weed... I'm not suggesting that weed is on the same level as LSD. In fact, I have directly said otherwise. I said (if I remember correctly, too lazy to scroll up) that weed doesn't fit into the psychedelic category.

Psilocin is like LSD.
Mescaline is like psilocin.
Marijuana - if it is a psych - is the odd one out.

DMT is much closer to psilocin than it is to marijuana.

a i've always thought of those 2 as of a stairway vs an elevator: the 1st still relies on the user,s own motivation while the other leaves no option but to explore the upper floors...

Agree and disagree with this.

You can definitely avoid the upper floors with LSD, it's just torturous.

I know people who have abused acid (it's actually an alkaline, I think, so I should probably stop using that term) for years.

My brother trips sometimes. He learns nothing. He turns off his brain. He enjoys the hallucinations.

How deep you go is up to you. It isn't inevitable. I've been consuming LSD for years. Now that I want to, I can go very deep. Previously, I have flirted with non-dual. I have doubted myself. Now there is no blockage.

I've seen people have acid alkaline and go backwards.

Multiintoxication shouldn't even be tolerated in any case but this is a place of repent sinners sticking to the Norml stance, if not the $¢ientology $e¢t as sometimes i genuinely wonder.

I'm going to need you to clarify this.

You think it's a sin to consume alkaline (LSD) with psilocin? Why?

The scientology thing makes no sense to me.

I assume you were pretty high when you wrote that post.

No stress. No obligation. Just curious. I want to learn, if there's something to learn.

All good, either way.

Easily. The first time I got really, really blasted was on Panama Red
I'll date myself too. Back to the 70's, Acapulco Gold, Panama Red, Columbian. The high test was Thai stick (have not heard that in years) and the there was Hawaiian sensimilla. I also remember Black African as just a regular strain but very dark. In the 70's my older brother sold weed with another dude and they were the main suppliers to the high school. I use to get little gold, almost yellow buds that were very good regular weed.

Now it all seems high test. It has flown off the handles. Have not seem brown Mexican in over 30 years.

I'll date myself too. Back to the 70's, Acapulco Gold, Panama Red, Columbian. The high test was Thai stick (have not heard that in years) and the there was Hawaiian sensimilla. I also remember Black African as just a regular strain but very dark. In the 70's my older brother sold weed with another dude and they were the main suppliers to the high school. I use to get little gold, almost yellow buds that were very good regular weed.

Now it all seems high test. It has flown off the handles. Have not seem brown Mexican in over 30 years.
I've seen brown Mex lately... I think. It was sold as regs, was lightly seeded, had that spicy taste that made me flash back to high school, and was a Sativa.
It was the potency of what it was sold as... regs. It was a pleasant buzz though, good regs. I enjoyed it as day smoke rolling joints.

We called the first gold to hit the market, "yellow pot".
It was quite good, and happy, pot. I'd be curious to see how it rated against the pot of today. Sweet Sativa buzz aside, my SWAG is that it would be about like pot sold as 17% THC.

(SWAG- Scientific Wild Ass Guess)