The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Is canada's border protected?

trickfire

Greenlighter
I remember learning in school that Canada and the united states have "the longest unprotected border in the world". Is this the case? My reasoning for asking is because i have never heard of anyone being caught smuggling anything form canada (for example OTC codeine). If this question/topic has been addressed on another thread please direct me, I have tried searching and came up with nothing.

There have been dozens of people caught smuggling ecstasy from canada into the U.S. And other drugs as well. But the U.S./Canada border isn't near as heavily protected as the U.S./Mexico border.

Yea well that's common sense, I don't see how every entry into Canada is patrolled; think of all the states that border it. it seems so easy to go to Canada and bring back a few grams.of codeine, secondly I do understand that the codeine usually contains two other ingredients (asprin, APAP, caffeine, promethazine etc) I also understand the illegality of it but it still just seems too easy.

I remember learning in school that Canada and the united states have "the longest unprotected border in the world". Is this the case? My reasoning for asking is because i have never heard of anyone being caught smuggling anything form canada (for example OTC codeine). If this question/topic has been addressed on another thread please direct me, I have tried searching and came up with nothing.
All they mean when people say that is that there isn't a military presence. There are still controlled border crossing with guards and immigration officers and all that jazz. As for your reasoning people do get caught for smuggling everything from drugs to undeclared purchases every day.

Yea well that's common sense, I don't see how every entry into Canada is patrolled; think of all the states that border it. it seems so easy to go to Canada and bring back a few grams.of codeine, secondly I do understand that the codeine usually contains two other ingredients (asprin, APAP, caffeine, promethazine etc) I also understand the illegality of it but it still just seems too easy.
Seems too easy to obtain a somewhat recreational drug primary useful as an antitussive and a moderate analgesic? Generally I classify international travel as a fairly large ordeal.

homeless >>> NASADD

DiTM has some articles on people getting caught coming from Canada into the US. My friends have gotten their cars torn apart when going into Canada, and on the way back. As for land crossing where there is none, there is heat imaging that is used to detect people trying to cross illegally.

Thanks tommy boy. That's all I needed, not an over analyzation of somebody's intended logic.

there are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of americans that live within minutes of the line . So international travel may mean a couple of miles down the road. We aren't talking about new Zealand; amapola.

There are checkpoints at the border for major roadways and I'm sure that the Great Lakes are patrolled. Otherwise I'm sure there are loads of places that you could freely cross and I even bet there are a good amount of passable logging roads that remain unmonitored. It's very weird that this is still the case as Canada is in fact a source country for both meth and different ecstasy forms and the US is pretty well a highway for heroin and other drugs being funneled in from all over.

One can't help but, wonder if it's the illegal immigration from Mexico that the US cares most about or the drugs. Perhaps it has to do with the cartel involvement.

And I was just giving a scenario in which if i were to go to Toronto for a week what would the risks be if I were to try and bring back a small amount (driving) obviously

The St Lawrence River makes up a large portion of the border, which means that there isn't much land crossing (in NY). Lake Ontario in western NY turns into the St. Lawrence, and together they make up about 8/10 of the border. I have friends that live 10 miles from the border, and I asked them about running across at a random area, and they said the stuff about heat monitoring.

I don't know about other states though.

Montana and North Dakota would be the easiest states to cross at, given the rural nature of the area on both sides of the border

Last time I was in Canada I brought back a bottle of codeine pills. Of corse I put them in a different container to hide them. When the border guard that was searching Our car asked me what they were I told him. He said you can bring 100 pills per person across no need to try and hide them. Then they let us go. That was 15 years ago though. I know there are places you can cross and no one is there. Some people I know go fishing there and use a backroad to get in.

Sorry if I came across as a jerk. You just seemed so amazed which I guess we would attribute to the view on drugs as bad bad bad by the establishment in the States as well as other developed countries.
And I was just giving a scenario in which if i were to go to Toronto for a week what would the risks be if I were to try and bring back a small amount (driving) obviously
The laws surrounding this are hazy and I stopped bothering to try and figure it out when asked a few months back. Most people say you can legally bring two bottles (of 200 pills) back with you. I believe however that the technical limit is 50 units (pills) which is usually enforced as one bottle a person so when they say two are probably going on having more than one person in the car. There is another law that states any medical therapy you begin in another country can be continued for up to three months or something so perhaps the 400 pills means 4pills a day for 100 days? I'm really not sure but it not the same as straight up smuggling a narcotic.

Being a New Englander my first thought would be crossing in Maine. No one even fucking lives up there let alone seeing a cop. Of course you'd still have to cross the St Lawrence but, it'd be in Canada not in the US. I mean really who fucking knows but, the drugs get down here somehow.

I remember seeing a show years ago in which weed smugglers would throw bundles in the Great Lakes and sink em. The receiver on the US side would find the product by GPS and then inflate it by remote causing it to float up to the surface. I know I've seen reports of tunneling as well. Where there is a will (or money to be made) there is a way.

^ Yea, I was on a tour in Montreal and the guide was saying that if you dropped your hat in the water at Niagara Falls, it would end up passing through Montreal on the St. Lawrence. So I guess the same logic could be applied to bundles of drugs.

dude if your looking for tylenol 1 which is APAP and like 8 or 10mg of codiene (i forget) then you should save yourself the trip n buy it off the internet, getting canadian tylenol 1s is one of the few opiates that can be easily purchased online

and the heat censor thing intrigues me, given the rural nature of alot of the canadian boarder, how does one tell the difference between a bear or an elk or what the fuck ever crossing as different then a human, i mean i know you can zoom in and see the shape of the heated object but if they are looking at the entire boarder with heat censors then surely they arent gonna be zoomed in all the time and given the nature of the wildlife up there, surely they dont zoom in on everything that has heat crossing the boarder, im from texas soo i know nothing of the northern boarder but they have heat censors down here too suppossedly and as we all know that dont stop everything, people and drugs are coming across daily sooo im just saying

The topic was about a trivial amount. Ground sensors, cameras, checkpoints or whatever else is used to monitor suspicious activity, for instance being on Canada for a short period of time. If going there on vacation, and having no weird activity there would be no cause, warrant or need for a vehicle to be searched. Also about the whole amount thing..there is no "legal" amount. Codeine in any form, any salt or any method of having it without a prescription is against the controlled substances act. It would be more or less about intent. Thry can tell whether you intended on transporting them across the border or not.