• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Is Burning Man worth it?

like i said, i don't know shit about burning man. but it sounds expensive to me.

i'd rather pay money to go see music. again, i have zero desire to even go to burning man.

but thanks for calling someone who just admitted ignorance to burning man, ignorant.

take some notes from coffee drinker's post.....at least he put some effort into telling me what you get for $300.

i don't even know how long the festival lasts. but, from someone who is ignorant to burning man, it just sounds like an excuse to eat drugs in the desert. which, don't get me wrong, is awesome. i just think i'd get super annoyed at burning man. it's not my scene.

but thanks for calling someone who just admitted ignorance to burning man, ignorant.
why so sad? if you admit you're ignorant on the subject, why get so prickly when someone simply agrees with you?
take some notes from coffee drinker's post.....at least he put some effort into telling me what you get for $300.
i guess you missed (or chose to overlook) this: "last year, burning man paid about $1,000,000 to the bureau of land management in permit fees. installing, maintaining and removing toilets is about $600,000. fees to other local agencies (e.g. county law enforcement, nevada highway patrol) is about $300,000. etc."

posted 3 posts before coffedrinker's post, fwiw...

alasdair

alasdair, would it be possible to convince you to share more about your experiences at burning man?

i saw your post, dude. obviously, i see it's relevance to why ticket costs are so expensive. but if i were someone going to the event looking to have a good time, i'm not really concerned with their costs. i'm more concerned about what they're going to do for me to get my money's worth.

the money is always worth something if you value the experience enough. personally i only find it funny because of the contradiction between the hippie lifestyle i see portrayed at the festival in photos and the money spent.

In conclusion, I am convinced that the experience is worth the hassle, but its something that one should really prepare for. I do not think I will be able to attend this year due to my work schedule conflicts but can see real potential for next year. This gives me plenty of time to prepare for it which is what I really need because I am the type of person who wants to contribute to this community as much as possible. If i went this year, it would be rushed as I barely have time to buy lights for my bicycle.

i´d love to go there, especially this year, as friends of mine will perform there. (dysphemic & miss eliza. if you see them please greet them from "the bug")
but getting there (from europe) AND getting all the stuff there thaT i´d need to have is almost impossible for me....

anyone wants to take me with them? :)

i guess you missed (or chose to overlook) this: "last year, burning man paid about $1,000,000 to the bureau of land management in permit fees. installing, maintaining and removing toilets is about $600,000. fees to other local agencies (e.g. county law enforcement, nevada highway patrol) is about $300,000. etc."

posted 3 posts before coffedrinker's post, fwiw...

alasdair

I'd imagine he wasn't into their financial situation, he was more into what they'd offer him. Who can blame him?

i told him exactly what 'he' gets for $300. it's moot anyway, as, with an attitude like that ("i'm more concerned about what they're going to do for me to get my money's worth.") it sounds like cs and bm are better off without each other :)

alasdair

i told him exactly what 'he' gets for $300. it's moot anyway, as, with an attitude like that ("i'm more concerned about what they're going to do for me to get my money's worth.")

wouldn't it be a pretty legit question to ask what you're going to get at the festival before dropping $300 on a ticket, taking a week off of work and traveling across the country?

but, i guess i just don't get it, because it's all about the heady vibes and helping your neighbors and other pseudo hippie stuff. yea, no thanks. not my scene at all.

i'd rather go to telluride bluegrass fest.

3 days of camping in telluride with some of the best bluegrass musicians in the world playing damn near round the clock.

At least bluegrass kicks ass.

i mean, i think it does. i'd much prefer that than haggling with a bunch of wanna be hippies about trading a fucking sandwich for a beer, or whatever the hell they do at burning man. but that's just me.

i mean, i think it does. i'd much prefer that than haggling with a bunch of wanna be hippies about trading a fucking sandwich for a beer, or whatever the hell they do at burning man. but that's just me.

I think I would take the crusties over chilling with a bunch of deliverance folks, just sayin… but to each their own.

I dont get how burning man is any more of a hippie central than a bluegrass festival. Doesn't bluegrass a form a large percentage of what the Dead did?

Burning man seems like it would only attract eccentric, hard core, people, that's far more interesting to me than your run of the mill festival.

Yeah I bet there is a greater hippy ratio at a bluegrass festie. Now one like Lightning in a Bottle on the other hand...

sure, there are hippies there. but, i don't hate hippies. i'd just rather go see music. and telluride bluegrass is really the only festival i'll go to, because it's actually much more chill than say...bonneroo or allgood or hangout or any of those festivals, which i have no desire to go to either. telluride bluegrass has been around for years, it's a good place for a washed up old man like me.

alasdair, why don't you tell me what i'm missing here. i'm absolutely interested in learning about burning man, even though i don't want to go.

why are you so passionate about it?

Oh yeah fuck bonneroo and all good. Once they get past a certain number in attendance it just attracts the wrong kinda bros and LEOs. The popular ones always have an undeniable edge of douchiness to them.

I think Ali made a contribution to Words recently that talked about his Burning man experience, he's being minimal about said experience in this thread though.