• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Is bupe stronger than oxy?

Slayer0344

Bluelighter
Jesus Christ, 26 Hours off 1mg per day subs and I’ve taken 15mgs of oxy and feel NOTHING , I go out of withdrawal for like an hour after I’ve taken the oxy then I’m in withdrawal by hour 3 and having to re dose? Surely after 24 hours there’s not a lot of bupe left on my receptors especially seeing as my last bupe dose 26 hours ago was only 0.5mg?

You think that's fast. With heavy tianeptine sodium addiction, the withdrawal pops up 3.5 hours after last dosing.

But yes, in some certain terms, like binding power, bupe is alot stronger than oxycodone. But it isn't as effective.

Opioids are measured with two main yardsticks, efficacy (how effectively they activate an opioid receptor) and what affinity they have (essentially at what potency do they activate those receptors, regardless of how effectively they are at turning that receptor on). Bupe has far higher affinity than oxy, but has way less efficacy.

Plus it sticks around for a while. That's why oxycodone isn't working despite the fact that it "feels" (efficacy) like a stronger opioid.

well I’ve just dosed another oxy. 30mg total today. I’m 30 hours without subs and the oxy is hitting me slightly but it’s just wearing off within two hours and I’m back into withdrawal. I have Kratom here but have never taken it before and if I’m honest I’m scared to take it with all the horror stories I hear about people have seizures and dying after taking it. I do have morphine IR 10mg tablets aswell so I guess they are going to have to get me through until I can get more subs

You think that's fast. With heavy tianeptine sodium addiction, the withdrawal pops up 3.5 hours after last dosing.

But yes, in some certain terms, like binding power, bupe is alot stronger than oxycodone. But it isn't as effective.

Opioids are measured with two main yardsticks, efficacy (how effectively they activate an opioid receptor) and what affinity they have (essentially at what potency do they activate those receptors, regardless of how effectively they are at turning that receptor on). Bupe has far higher affinity than oxy, but has way less efficacy.

Plus it sticks around for a while. That's why oxycodone isn't working despite the fact that it "feels" (efficacy) like a stronger opioid.
Yes indeed, correct is your statement. Bupe is actually stronger than heroin and close the affinitet of fentanyl. But the thing is, it is not pure agonist like heroin or fentanyl and has this ceiling dose when saturated enough receptors it starts to act as an inverse agonist and so reverses its own agonistic functions.

So bupe can cause acute withdrawals from heroin as it is stronger and displaces heroin from receptors. It is also much stronger than oxy at least 10 times stronger but doesn't cause nearly as good feelings because it is not pure agonist. You could also treat (I suppose) fentanyl overdose with suboxone but carfentanyl would be too strong. Even naltrexone cannot adequately treat those. Naloxone is needed massive amounts to save someone's life who has overdosed carfentanyl.

Jambabomba is totally correct.

Buprenorphine is way more potent than oxy or even heroin. But in terms of intrinsic action, it's only a partial agonist. So it won't feel as good.

It's less so that 1mg of bupe would be blocking the oxy & more so that by taking such a potent partial agonist, you're also raising your tolerance a bit.

Last edited:
Seconded @negrogesic

The problem with comparing Buprenorphine to other Opioids is that it has a more complex effects profile that most others. It is a combined agonist/antagonist as opposed to the straight agonist Opioids like Morphine, Heroin, Oxycodone etc. This really makes it difficult to compare it in any kind of apples to apples way. In addition, Buprenorphine's effect change significantly as the dose is raised, leading to more agonism of the delta/kappa receptors, which is essentially not what you want as an Opioid user.

In short, Buprenorphine is definitely stronger mg for mg, but if we take all of these other variables into consideration, it's pretty much in the same league as Oxycodone. It will typically be a few days before your receptors are back to normal following chronic Buprenorphine administration. If you're on a high dose like say 24mg Buprenorphine, this time could me much longer.

dont waste more oxy, kratom will work much better... u need atleast 3 days without bupre before the bloking gives if u been taking it for long/high doses

OP stated they take 1mg a day...

1mg will never block other opioids, so it's not "waiting for the bupe to leave your system" that is the problem.

Buprenorphine will increase your tolerance, due to it's potency. Period.

I can feel 20mg-30mg of Hydrocodone ontop of 2-4mg of buprenorphine. So I'm doubtful 1mg is blocking the oxy & more so that switching to a potent partial agonist like bupe, now means you're going to need waay more oxy to even the same effect you would have felt before you ever touched the bupe.

Well I took like 30mg oxy that day. Then the following around 50mg morphine,

That day I took the morphine I managed to get some sub and took sub 1 hour after the morphine and all I felt was the sub. No PCW. Nothing other than the sub. I’m guessing even after 48 hours the sub was still in my system

1mg of sub will NEVER BLOCK ANYTHING. Unless you've been taking subs for so long now that it's built up to a blocking dose in your body.

Bupe use to be prescribed in dosages of 2 MICROgrams for pain in Europe. That's how potent it is.

1mg of bupe is equivalent to about 80mg of oxycodone. Although it'll never feel like 80mg of oxycodone. It's still causing roughly that amount of dependence.

So this is either a tolerance issue or there's something wrong with the oxy & morphine you're getting. It's physically impossible for 0.25mg left over in your body after 48hrs to be blocking much of anything.

There's a reason why doctors keep people on 16-24mg for years, because low doses aren't going to effectively block anything.

I took a week off a few months ago and tried oxy to see how it would feel and I didn’t feel shit either. And keep in mind I was about at the 5-6 days off of the subs. It was so disappointing lol

Oxy is actually a nice buzz. Bupe is only really useful for a taper. The buzz itself is not enjoyable IMO.
In country where I live there has been many years a rampant buprenorfine problem. It is used much much more than any other opiod. You will find from the streets (or internet nowdays) buprenorfine here at least 20-100x more often than ex. Heroin. And also at least 10x more often than any other opioid. Oxycontin has recently risen in popularity but for many years I would say buprenorfine dominated the street markets with for at least 70-90% share. Allmost every opioid addict I know used or uses buprenorfine and most use only it. And it is used recreationally here.

It all started (I guess good intentions) when one doctor about 20-25y ago started to treat heroin addicts. He went to France and got Subutex and treated them privately with it. Then one bodybuilder got prescribed it too and gave it to his friends. After that it started to slowly spread all over the country and now it is found in abundance from every city.

So many people here consider it somehow recreational. I guess this is also partly dependent on the collective belief systems. Belief systems determine how valuable some substance is deemed to be and thus actually how good or recreational the substance is also felt.

In country where I live there has been many years a rampant buprenorfine problem. It is used much much more than any other opiod. You will find from the streets (or internet nowdays) buprenorfine here at least 20-100x more often than ex. Heroin. And also at least 10x more often than any other opioid. Oxycontin has recently risen in popularity but for many years I would say buprenorfine dominated the street markets with for at least 70-90% share. Allmost every opioid addict I know used or uses buprenorfine and most use only it. And it is used recreationally here.

It all started (I guess good intentions) when one doctor about 20-25y ago started to treat heroin addicts. He went to France and got Subutex and treated them privately with it. Then one bodybuilder got prescribed it too and gave it to his friends. After that it started to slowly spread all over the country and now it is found in abundance from every city.

So many people here consider it somehow recreational. I guess this is also partly dependent on the collective belief systems. Belief systems determine how valuable some substance is deemed to be and thus actually how good or recreational the substance is also felt.
You don't happen to be in Finland are you?

Makes me think of reindeerspotting. lol

Of course bupe has recreational value. It's just different compared to many other opioids & it really loses it's "magic" (what little there is of it) after you've been on it for awhile. I think the reason bupe is/was bigger in countries like Finland and the like, is more because heroin & other opioids are really hard to come by.

1mg of sub will NEVER BLOCK ANYTHING. Unless you've been taking subs for so long now that it's built up to a blocking dose in your body.

Bupe use to be prescribed in dosages of 2 MICROgrams for pain in Europe. That's how potent it is.

1mg of bupe is equivalent to about 80mg of oxycodone. Although it'll never feel like 80mg of oxycodone. It's still causing roughly that amount of dependence.

So this is either a tolerance issue or there's something wrong with the oxy & morphine you're getting. It's physically impossible for 0.25mg left over in your body after 48hrs to be blocking much of anything.

There's a reason why doctors keep people on 16-24mg for years, because low doses aren't going to effectively block anything.
I just did a conversion calculator and 1mg of bupe is 30mg of oxy?

And it seems 30mg of oxy seems to be holding me in withdrawal from bupe at the moment. I’m bupe free 48 hours again and definitely are feeling the effects of the oxy somewhat

I took a week off a few months ago and tried oxy to see how it would feel and I didn’t feel shit either. And keep in mind I was about at the 5-6 days off of the subs. It was so disappointing lol
I’m 48 hours out from my last 1mg bupe dose and the oxy is definitely doing something I don’t feel in withdrawal at all

Jesus Christ, 26 Hours off 1mg per day subs and I’ve taken 15mgs of oxy and feel NOTHING , I go out of withdrawal for like an hour after I’ve taken the oxy then I’m in withdrawal by hour 3 and having to re dose? Surely after 24 hours there’s not a lot of bupe left on my receptors especially seeing as my last bupe dose 26 hours ago was only 0.5mg?
Bupe is a partial Antagonist AND has a much higher Receptor Binding Affinity. To dumb it down, if you ingest Bupe, so long as it is locked into your relevant receptors, it will be difficult to gain a discernible subjective psychoactive benefit. As soon as you reach the tipping point receptor-wise things will get a whole lot better.