Irresponsible closure of CEP thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
why does some relatively new mod get to decide to close it now?
For one, in 2009 the moderators likely were relatively new themselves.

If you could fathom, for a second, that the moderator in question is qualified and made a fairly decent judgment call to do what he did, and have some compassion with the people who are cleaning the mess up behind the scenes, maybe you'd appreciate the community we have here a bit more, or at all.

We don't tell moderators to wait until they've been on board forever to start making decisions. Why would we appoint moderators that we wouldn't give powers to? Have you thought about the absurd way your complaint comes off?

My suggestion to you is to send PM's to the CEP team, if you feel so strongly, and make a compassionate case. Your abrasiveness doesn't work well in some situations.

You should've added my post to the thread.
Moderator decisions can be sometimes done swiftly but normally with team effort and often behind the scenes discussions on how to handle certain situations are had.

Dog piling in one last post to a locked thread isn't what you get to complain about when it gets locked, and sometimes, *sometimes* if you ask *nicely* they will do it for you. Sometimes.

It helps to be a nice person, I guess... then again I didn't get where I am today by ragequitting every time I didn't get my way. (OK I didn't do that EVERY time...)

CEP is mainly frequented by left leaning members so it’s usually biased but it’s a lot better than it used to be. Alasdair and spacejunk fucked it up but it seems better now
I can't agree with this sentiment but I really do appreciate the honest input; CEP had its issues and I DO NOT think that either of these people did anything but HELP - with that said, with time and learning on dealing with a set of difficult circumstances I think we are indeed handling CEP better now than we used to.

And if it wasn't closed a decade ago then it shouldn't really be closed now.
You have no idea how anything works here. Locking and archiving old threads is a huge part of pruning / cultivating the forum over time.

CEP is overrun by trolls anyway, why leave a thread open that's just trollbait. Honestly I don't have any insight into what actually happened because that forum is just depressing but the mods have a hard job, everyone should try to respect that and be thankful they're allowed to keep on trolling with other dumb contrarian shite, if you'll excuse my rudeness, I'm having a difficult day, although for sure not as bad a day as anyone captured by the nazis, but probably still a worse day than whoever it is who's bitching about a thread being closed that has about as much value as a thread about whether or not anthropogenic global warming is real. Oh wait... I think that thread might be a real one too. There you go, have at it, keep schooling those bleeding heart leftist commie cucks, if that's not enough for your trolling fix maybe you can submit some articles to infowars or the onion or just comment on some videos on YouTube. I'm out, peace.

And if it wasn't closed a decade ago then it shouldn't really be closed now. I don't understand any justification for it anyway (apart from dishonest and politicized censorship)
Locking and archiving old threads is a huge part of pruning / cultivating the forum over time.

Ah, I missed this bit, but something that may have been at play is the forums used to each have their own 'Archive' sub-forum, and in most cases those archives were locked from replies. As such, there would have been no need to close the thread as it was simply locked in the sub for reference. Sometime in the last 18month-ish we did away with the archive subs and just moved all that content back into the main forums....ergo, a thread that was effectively long ago suddenly became available for replies. Intentional or not, this may be why it wasn't locked long ago, but is now.

That's a shame but it is what it is.

Also doing this kind of proves the conspiracy folk correct.

People with persecutory delusions are going to sense being persecuted so... no.
So do you think I’m delusional when I say left leaning members intentionally stirred shit up to get members banned?
I had it happen more than once. I’ve had posts edited and theyedited their posts to make it look like I deserved a ban.
This was when Ali was mod. absolute bullshit

So do you think I’m delusional when I say left leaning members intentionally stirred shit up to get members banned?
I had it happen more than once. I’ve had posts edited and theyedited their posts to make it look like I deserved a ban.
I'm not familiar with the situations in question. I don't personally recall left leaning members tend to inflame the situation, there might be one I'm thinking of but again I try to have empathy for people and their real passion and drive for current events/political issues.

I would rather us all remain interested/participating than at each other's throats.

I don't believe alasdairm or anyone deliberately did that, but just because I think that doesn't mean I'm right. I don't think you're delusional. If that is indeed the case, I apologize - I hope things are better now, but I have always, always enjoyed working very hard with alasdairm and others behind the scenes - I tend to think of them as great leaders.

We are all entitled to our opinions and I won't try to change yours, man, I know we're cool and am not seeking to ruffle feathers.

Do you feel you are at least tolerated/heard now, even if not appreciated for your views? I think building a bridge of understanding and tolerance would be a great first step (especially given the great right/left divide, especially in United States political climate right now, it is toxic).

There are some extremely left wing moderators here, but lots of moderators are very good guys too!
The fact that this is a harm reduction forum and there's politically biased judgement made by moderators is retarded.
Specially in politic forums, even if the mods have their own views, they should be UNBIASED as possible.
However, drug users are usually trying to escape reality and left wing politics aren't based in reality, but theory, so it's not a surprise why most users i have encountered are left wing.

I do think it's important to try to be as unbiased and open minded as possible. Most of my beliefs and views tend to be evidence and scientific based as is. I do want everyone to know I think their voice should be able to be heard, and encourage participation from all sides of the spectrum. The more everyone can be considerate and civil in articulating their views, the better the conversations can be, and the more successful one will be able to reach others.

You didn't need to link to an article that supported your side of the argument. Just close the thread if you're going to close it. I'm surprised a thread about that survived as long as it did considering the topic of it. You can't discuss that anywhere even places where it's allowed will become filled with people shouting over everyone attempting to have a discussion. Ironically this is the main reason why most people that doubt it end up doing their own research.

I came to my own conclusion about it and don't find much value in discussing it anymore. Those that want to know will find out on their own and being vocal about it just gets you blacklisted.

You need more mature moderation if the mods cave in to political pressure to not discuss certain issues, and insult people who do bring up certain issues for discussion.

The holocaust thread is from 2009 over a decade ago, with a lot of good information and debate, so why does some relatively new mod get to decide to close it now?

This is censorship and fear.

Bro aren't you jewish

I generally think it's best to allow free discussion of most topics. Banning holocaust denial discussion has largely been considered to be a poor way to address it, like with most 'taboo' things (allows talking points to go unchallenged, fuels conspiracies etc etc).

OTOH, I don't moderate CEPS, nor would I want to, so I can also understand why unpaid volunteers might not want to have to invest so much energy into something that's guaranteed to cause a particularly contentious riot and slew of accusations. We already have trouble filling staff places due to a lack of volunteers as it is. Also, and not unrelated, if there appears to be a bias towards "the left" in terms of moderators, perhaps it's because those on "the right" aren't big on volunteering their time for free? :unsure:

FWIW if anyone does want to read through the entire megathread, they'll find most commonly rehashed talking points and conspiracies already covered and discussed in reasonable depth. Ultimately, most people who are already convinced of certain viewpoints and hold certain values are never going to swayed by any amount of discussion or evidence. To think otherwise is rather delusional - it's generally only those in the middle (who lurk and rarely post) that tend to be swayed/swayable...

Bro aren't you jewish

Exactly so if I'm OK with discussing this then everyone else should be.
But it's the classic liberal mindset of feigning offense FOR others.
Or it's a case of social pressure manipulating people to think that certain topics are off-limits (for some reason it's only this subject specifically though).
And as CFC said, banning a discussion just fuels conspiracies - or in that case, there have been enough alterations and discrepancies to the story that is just proves the critics correct.
Because if you're telling the truth then you welcome investigation. If you're hiding something or covering something up then you'll need to completely ban the discussion.

If you're hiding something or covering something up then you'll need to completely ban the discussion.

Alternately, if the subject is one where members cannot carry a civil and rational conversation, the platform and staff may decide it is simply not worth the headache. Which, iirc, is within their right. As others have stated, we desire to allow opposing views to be shared on even sensitive matters, but when the weight of managing out of hand remarks is over shadowed by hardened minds unwilling to consider other views....is there really any merit in attempting to hold a discussion any further? And, that rhetorical question falls to the decision of those hosting the platform, not those desiring to shout their views.

Alternately, if the subject is one where members cannot carry a civil and rational conversation, the platform and staff may decide it is simply not worth the headache. Which, iirc, is within their right. As others have stated, we desire to allow opposing views to be shared on even sensitive matters, but when the weight of managing out of hand remarks is over shadowed by hardened minds unwilling to consider other views....is there really any merit in attempting to hold a discussion any further? And, that rhetorical question falls to the decision of those hosting the platform, not those desiring to shout their views.

Well I can discuss it in a civil and rational manner and I was directly affected by it.
If there's a member who is out of control then warn or infract them for their behavior. Not really a justification for silencing the entire discussion.

If the thread remains closed then you kind of have to admit that the subject is off-limits here.

Status
Not open for further replies.