• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Insensitivity to hallucinogens

Yah well he had a lot of brothers possibilities there...whole family is fkd up and sketchy as fk

Some pros and cons from my last research delve.
The pros.
There is so much data about us now. When I was first diagnosed it was Ehlers Danlos syndrome type Iii, then renamed ED hypermobility. Several years later it was EDS-HT and now (I believe) hEDS.
I couldn't find specific reference to painkiller insensitivity, but I found lots of data on anaesthetic insensitivity.
Looks like I can tick most of lignocaine \ procaine\ buy-me-a-vowelcaine series as confirmed.
Another pro is this gem from the Practical Pain Management Journal which validates my first ever bluelight post
"Your inquiry about the appropriate use of oxytocin for EDS is most timely as it is the focus of this month's Editor's Memo.
But the one to wave at pain clinic was from the same source.
""EDS may be the most common genetic connective tissue disease to cause intractable pain, necessitating high-dose opioid therapy² "
And this

EDS Requires Aggressive, High-Dose Pain Therapy​

At this time, the most meaningful treatment for symptomatic patients is aggressive, humanitarian pain relief.

And
"more encouraging reports are indicating that high-dose opioid treatment with supplemental hormones (as needed on an individual basis) may be an effective means of pain control"

The cons.
Apart from the host of things that have already gone wrong with me are a few surprises possibly yet to come.
At least I have already been tested for most of the nastiest and got an all clear.

It would have been nicer if it was an Australian source, but if that doesn't get my meds adjusted, what will?

Wow... Its been so long that smiling hurts.

Someone at shroomery.org dropped this hand grenade in my lap.

"There are some people who are known in medical literature to entirely lack 5HT2A receptors. It's very rare, but it is entirely possible for someone to be naturally immune to psychedelics"

The research trail instantly devolves to shotgun mode.
Serotonergic activity is such a block of cobwebs.
I'm not schizophrenic and have been tested for sleep apnoea.
When I was young I had a mind like a compressed sponge dried and dropped in water. The only learning difficulties I had were faces and those horrid "next number in series" tests that mensa are so fond of...where I would come up with 5 correct answers and inevitably choose the wrong one.

Last edited:
I dunno, I'm not really convinced outliers are as outlier-ish as people tend to think. They just get drowned out by others or dismissed/ignored from the narrative.

For instance, I've never experienced euphoria from anything. DMT does nothing for me either besides the odd squiggle that lasts a few seconds. MDMA does basically nothing. GHB doesn't make me sleepy or knock me out, even at high doses, it just feels like my eyeballs are being torn back into my skull and my head spins - very unpleasant but no way I could ever sleep on it lol. Gabapentinoids make me consistently grumpy/snappy and generally unpleasant to be around. I've never experienced psychosis or even come close despite regular 5-7 day stints without sleep on meth - I remain fully aware of my surroundings and what's real and what's just noise from my brain filling up with crudge lol. And so on.

FWIW I do also have EDS.

Looks like I can tick most of lignocaine \ procaine\ buy-me-a-vowelcaine series as confirmed.

These also don't do much for me. But I suspect part of the reason is because - with the different collagen matrix in the skin, mucus membranes, blood vessels etc that EDS people tend to have - they pass much more quickly into the bloodstream. And hence can't act locally very effectively.

The odd thing is some of the research says increasing dose will not change the insensitivity, but I have found double or triple normal dose works fine.

Even if you lack 5ht2a receptors somehow you ain’t lacking serotonin and serotonin receptors totally and hardly any psychedelic drug is 100% selective for 5ht2a so you should still feel some effects. Have you ever considered nocebo? Opposite of placebo. I’ve had a friend who would smoke a shitload of weed and (claim to) feel nothing. I started doubting if he’s just fucking with us but he really never seemed high no matter how much he smoked. One day he got drunk and smoked a splif and got high. Since than he can get high from weed just like anyone. I bet it’s something similar in your case, just more spectacular in a sense that you don’t feel arguably stronger/different drugs.

"There are some people who are known in medical literature to entirely lack 5HT2A receptors. It's very rare, but it is entirely possible for someone to be naturally immune to psychedelics"
This doesn't sound right, a complete lack of receptors. This would probably lead to severe disability...

I think it's more plausible their receptors have some mutation, but I'd be curious to see some studies either way.

Someone at shroomery.org dropped this hand grenade in my lap.

I wonder if there is any truth to that. In 1985 I gave a blotter to a guy we knew in Houston Texas. These blotters were very strong, stronger than average and one could be too much for someone. Gotten from a friend at a Dead show in San Francisco. Anyway he takes half, then the other half and claimed he felt nothing. I think that is the only exposure that I had to someone that says they did not feel a psychedelic.

I'll just say there are a lot of labels the medical field lay on people here in 2023. I am sure I could be labeled with a lot of things, including depression, possibly some spectrum. But I don't give the jive doctors a chance. We are humans, all a little different that is all. 150 years ago there were no labels. Psychology really added to labeling people to validate their profession.

I've been hunting for a while and cannot remember where I first found this topic, but to save time I'll edit what I wrote at shroomery.org

40 years of failed attempts to hallucinate.

Back then we didn't know the specific chemistry of what we took...you paid your money and took what you got.
From quadruple doses of LSD, double STP, triple DMT, double mescaline.
When living in Wales we could find shrooms by the grocery bag in a 2 mile walk on the Roman roads nearby.
The couple I stayed with put mushrooms in teas...stews..toast. every meal had magic mushies in abundance and in each and every case I've been left twiddling my thumbs while my friends are chasing fairies.
I bet I could plug Ayahuasca until it came out my nose and just be annoyed. My bruho sits there dumbfounded while I take repeated hits of DMT.
Even MAO inhibitors don't help.
The best I get is a faint rainbow edge on things (once), a rictus and the ability to stay awake until ameliorated with largactil
(Huh...all these years and only now do I find out it's another name for thorazine)

Anyone else feel ripped off by your genetics?
(I don't know if it's significant but I have a strange collagen balance thanks to a connective tissue disorder)
Just to say it’s very likely you have a gene mutation due to EDS, I also have them and metabolise drugs differently or not at all due to them.

I bet you also have issue with local anaesthetic not working?

I bet you also have issue with local anaesthetic not working?
This is confirmed a bit earlier, although contrary to expectations, multiple doses do work.

What other things have you found an insensitivity to?

Just take a third plateau dose of DXM and you’ll be flying through landscapes and old memories. You may experience distortions of size and cubism too.

I have a bad time with LSD for example. I could only see the carpet “breathe” on a 300ug dose. I blacked out for the majority of the trip. I just felt very intoxicated, as if I drank too much tequila. I did experience major time dilation but again, I blacked out. The comedown was awful. Will never do LSD again.

Hey, chiming in to say I might also be insensitive to hallucinogens. (I'm also definitely insensitive to opioid painkillers, not sure if that could be connected somehow)

It's really frustrating, people keep telling me that's impossible and that it must not be the right dose, or the right drug, and I mean, I haven't gotten try to LSD yet, so who knows, but like. I have purposefully gone over what people recommend, even, trying to have some sort of hallucinatory effect, but no dice.

Hey, chiming in to say I might also be insensitive to hallucinogens. (I'm also definitely insensitive to opioid painkillers, not sure if that could be connected somehow)

It's really frustrating, people keep telling me that's impossible and that it must not be the right dose, or the right drug, and I mean, I haven't gotten try to LSD yet, so who knows, but like. I have purposefully gone over what people recommend, even, trying to have some sort of hallucinatory effect, but no dice.

Do you get no effects or just none of the more glaring visual effects?

I'm so curious of these people because people describe hallucinations from normal doses of psychedelics so wildly different. People describe hallucinations in very different ways, in general.

Do you get no effects or just none of the more glaring visual effects?

No visual effects whatsoever.

I used to be a daily dissociative user, and in the very beginning, I would sometimes have colors become more intense or vibrant. But idk if that'd be considered something a bit different. And, I would 'daydream', y'know, visualize things inside of my mind's eye, but again, no effects on my actual vision. I can do that normally anyways