View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Insensitivity to hallucinogens

carbonhalo

Bluelighter
I've been hunting for a while and cannot remember where I first found this topic, but to save time I'll edit what I wrote at shroomery.org

40 years of failed attempts to hallucinate.

Back then we didn't know the specific chemistry of what we took...you paid your money and took what you got.
From quadruple doses of LSD, double STP, triple DMT, double mescaline.
When living in Wales we could find shrooms by the grocery bag in a 2 mile walk on the Roman roads nearby.
The couple I stayed with put mushrooms in teas...stews..toast. every meal had magic mushies in abundance and in each and every case I've been left twiddling my thumbs while my friends are chasing fairies.
I bet I could plug Ayahuasca until it came out my nose and just be annoyed. My bruho sits there dumbfounded while I take repeated hits of DMT.
Even MAO inhibitors don't help.
The best I get is a faint rainbow edge on things (once), a rictus and the ability to stay awake until ameliorated with largactil
(Huh...all these years and only now do I find out it's another name for thorazine)

Anyone else feel ripped off by your genetics?
(I don't know if it's significant but I have a strange collagen balance thanks to a connective tissue disorder)

I was going to add "breathing walls" but then remembered the house I lived in where the kitchen window moved in and out 2 inches when the wind gusted, and from the right direction made my bedroom lift up and down a bit too.

Well not getting visual effects from psychedelics in doses other do get isn’t that weird. Not tripping at all is. So do you get other mental effects just lacking visuals or?

At one point/dose you would get visuals too I’m sure. Well unless your like a guru Ram Das or whoever gave some microdots and aledgly it hardly influenced him.

I've been hunting for a while and cannot remember where I first found this topic, but to save time I'll edit what I wrote at shroomery.org

40 years of failed attempts to hallucinate.

Back then we didn't know the specific chemistry of what we took...you paid your money and took what you got.
From quadruple doses of LSD, double STP, triple DMT, double mescaline.
When living in Wales we could find shrooms by the grocery bag in a 2 mile walk on the Roman roads nearby.
The couple I stayed with put mushrooms in teas...stews..toast. every meal had magic mushies in abundance and in each and every case I've been left twiddling my thumbs while my friends are chasing fairies.
I bet I could plug Ayahuasca until it came out my nose and just be annoyed. My bruho sits there dumbfounded while I take repeated hits of DMT.
Even MAO inhibitors don't help.
The best I get is a faint rainbow edge on things (once), a rictus and the ability to stay awake until ameliorated with largactil
(Huh...all these years and only now do I find out it's another name for thorazine)

Anyone else feel ripped off by your genetics?
(I don't know if it's significant but I have a strange collagen balance thanks to a connective tissue disorder)
what is your experience with emotions?
have you ever been so happy or sad that time seemed to stand still?
how do you behave if a bee gets into the car while you are driving?

what is your experience with emotions?
have you ever been so happy or sad that time seemed to stand still?
how do you behave if a bee gets into the car while you are driving?
I have never noticed a deviation of emotion after taking anything trippy..apart from disappointment.
If a bee gets in my car at home I will leave it there until I return. Anywhere else I will expel it.
I don't want my hives getting varroa.
My nurse practitioner has asked if I'd like to try microdosing psilocybin, but when I explained my insensitivity she agreed it would probably be pointless.
I might give it a go anyway.
@holyspiral. I have described all my reactions except 1
I spent some time laughing uncontrollably as the fluorescent lighting made my friends face look decidedly skeletal.
He dissolved into laughing in sympathy, but I couldn't bring myself to tell him what I was laughing at.

I have stumbled onto a few others like me on the net over the years.
I just remembered one site.... Erowid.org has a few

I have never noticed a deviation of emotion after taking anything trippy..apart from disappointment.
If a bee gets in my car at home I will leave it there until I return. Anywhere else I will expel it.
I don't want my hives getting varroa.
My nurse practitioner has asked if I'd like to try microdosing psilocybin, but when I explained my insensitivity she agreed it would probably be pointless.
I might give it a go anyway.
@holyspiral. I have described all my reactions except 1
I spent some time laughing uncontrollably as the fluorescent lighting made my friends face look decidedly skeletal.
He dissolved into laughing in sympathy, but I couldn't bring myself to tell him what I was laughing at.

I have stumbled onto a few others like me on the net over the years.
I just remembered one site.... Erowid.org has a few
i'm really curious to see what would happen if you could just keep puffing a potent DMT vape cartridge as much as you want, lol

maybe just some color enhancement

sounds like a medical anomaly

@carbonhalo
I mean in general how emotional are you and when if ever do you feel the sense of time passing to be faster or slower than usual,
I am getting at something basic

@pupnik. When I was younger I was described by more than one person as " the most laid back person they'd met" but being a bit autistic I expect I was just disconnecting. These days....after years of depression I tend to partially meltdown when confronted with too many hurdles. As I said in "the moment you realised that you were an addict"

The moments when time started slowing.
Penetrating the skin without feeling it.
The long dark curl of blood.
Anticipation of my tinnitus doubling in volume....and knowing it's working.
(Anyone else get that?)

@FuckinAcidMan
I'm in.... Want my PO box number?

@pupnik. When I was younger I was described by more than one person as " the most laid back person they'd met" but being a bit autistic I expect I was just disconnecting. These days....after years of depression I tend to partially meltdown when confronted with too many hurdles. As I said in "the moment you realised that you were an addict"

The moments when time started slowing.
Penetrating the skin without feeling it.
The long dark curl of blood.
Anticipation of my tinnitus doubling in volume....and knowing it's working.
(Anyone else get that?)

@FuckinAcidMan
I'm in.... Want my PO box number?
so disconnect relates to emotional disconnect, but that you do have a sense of time slowing down means that you are getting a psychedelic effect, the sense of time passing being distorted is fundamental to all psychedelic effects.
"the moment you realized you were an addict" is a thread here???,
by you referencing that phrase or discussion thread are you telling me that not only are you on the spectrum but you have been addicted to something?

it seems you have several neurochemical stories going on that overlap to the point where you are not noticing your psychedelic effect.

My sense of time slowing referred to injecting my Oxycodone daily. I never got that from a psychedelic.
That thread is in "drug culture"
Back in the day, my DOC was cannabis, but I tried everything I could get hold of.
I found nicotine and cannabis relatively easy to stop after I started coughing up blood.
Its seems relevant that my tripping wildly friends were on exactly the same drugs I was, although I probably multiplied their cannabis consumption.
Its only the last 15 years that I have been an opioid user.
I have 1 doctor who appreciates my body awareness. Since I was actively expecting a variety of mental state changes I rather doubt I was merely not noticing effects, however minor.
It seems psychedelics only function as a stimulant for me. ( Mind you...they all eclipse amphetamines for longevity).

I have only been scared by two drugs.
The first was a popper that threatened to rip my heart clean out of my chest.
The second was mainline coke. I don't think I'm meant for instant godhood.
I sometimes think my friends only tolerated me so they always had an anchor.

sounds like a medical anomaly
I'm not just an ambulant medical anomaly, I am a statistical strange attractor.
If I want something, everything that can go wrong does. All of them! in agonising yet hilarious detail.
Yet...in every life threatening incident in which I've been involved I avoid any penalty.
I've dodged so many bullets, been saved by miraculous happenstance.
I sit on the pointy end of so many bell curves I get haemorrhoids just thinking about it.

They're all coming home to roost in middle age.

You should take an extremely high dose of edibles and see what happens if you haven't, it's very psychedelic that way, almost a completely different drug.
But yeah, kind of clueless how nothing has ever affected you. But since cannabis could get you high, edibles could really trip you out. I know for me I always seemed to need to take more stuff than others to trip, my hardest trips were always DMT.

If you were doing sandwich method or something, it's possible you weren't holding it in long enough or something. I'd bet if you had crystals dropped onto a glass dabber you'd blast the fuck off. DMT pens are also nice, but with the glass dabber (best way imo), you just shoot into hyperspace. You don't get to be like "ok that's one hit, I'm feeling it, let's do another" and such. I've had times where DMT hardly did anything, it can be random like that. To me it sounds more like the people you knew were just sensitive to them if anything, or your neurodivergence is some kind of factor in it being harder to trip.

I'm on the spectrum as well but haven't had difficulties tripping though I've only ever had like, one intense shroom trip and one moderately intense acid trip. I recall eating 3g of shrooms and I had a nice trip mostly after I smoked some weed (this can kick in any psychedelic if it's lacking). A friend of mine ate 2g of those same shrooms a week later and he had the biggest freakout I've ever seen. Complete ego death, crying, not knowing who he was, thinking he fucked up his life, that he was dying and we needed to take him to the hospital. He'll never trip again after that night.

I have to wonder if you were taking anything else while trying to trip in that span. STP not working though, that's odd... if it was really STP, but I don't know how old you are. I'd assume 50s

I'm not just an ambulant medical anomaly, I am a statistical strange attractor.
If I want something, everything that can go wrong does. All of them! in agonising yet hilarious detail.
Yet...in every life threatening incident in which I've been involved I avoid any penalty.
I've dodged so many bullets, been saved by miraculous happenstance.
I sit on the pointy end of so many bell curves I get haemorrhoids just thinking about it.

They're all coming home to roost in middle age.
idk you sound like a pretty rad dude all around lol

Crystals into a dabber with a mini blowtorch. a cloud that held its shape
I can still taste that plastic flavour. The chemist was the guy holding the torch.
I'm my bruho's first and only failure.

Its not just psychedelics. My genetic disorder is known to cause insensitivity to many anaesthetics and pain killers, even NSAIDs
Growing up I thought analgesia was just an abstract concept. Aspirin is great killing a fever, Acetaminophen is a great prophylactic for pre-migraine aura and Ibuprofen works great to reduce swelling but I couldn't detect any pain relief from any of them.
Codeine was the only substance that ever made a detectable improvement to pain levels. (Not counting anaesthetics...but I seem to need twice as much lignocaine as everyone else. Halothane is good though..have yet to try penthrox)

My first milligram of IV morphine was such a shock. All the accumulated chronic pain from everywhere I hurt was etched away by a moving electric red spiderweb. That was the moment I realised that I had never been pain free before.
I had already trialled tramadol and tapentadol, Gabapentin and pregabalin at pain clinic, but that first post operative morphine hit was life changing. Not such a big fan of ketamine though...it might belong on my insensitivity list.

Here's one of my early bullet dodges that I've never written down.
In 1993 I was hitching up to Sydney to meet my mother returning from Cambodia before she took another plane to UK.
I hitched everywhere in those days. It was a good way to practice different personalities (I did say I was in the spectrum. I remember spending hours in front of a mirror trying to reproduce my English teachers smile and facial motions) In those days I could have been a pretender.
I digress.
It took me all day just to get to the state border. At midnight I gave up and went to a railway station to catch a train, only to fall asleep in the waiting room and miss it.
I got back out on the highway, walked to the top of a hill so the trucks would be going real slowly and increase my chances and stuck my thumb out. About 20 minutes later...in the small hours, a mini minor pulled over and I jumped in.
While travelling the conversation got real strange. He kept taking tangents and it felt like he was trying to make me uncomfortable. This was reinforced by occasionally reaching into a door pocket and pulling out a HUGE orange handled diving knife and tossing it up and down then putting it back.
When we reached Yass he turned left off the highway and got stopped by a flooded ford. He said he wanted to drop something off at a friend's place, but couldn't get through so we got back on the highway.
Several miles further on he turned right onto the road to Wee Jasper (some Australians might see where this story is going now)
But when I asked where we were going this time he said "oh... Just goes to show what happens when you're not paying attention" and did a U turn. By this time I was jack with the weird conversational style and that knife and asked him to drop me at the Canberra turnoff as I wouldn't make it to Sydney in time and may as well go via a friend's house.
He let me out and I walked into the trees beside the road, sat down and waited for several cars to pass the other way in case he turned around. Then, on a pitch black night, I navigated back to Yass by the feel of gravel,grass,gravel,tarmac.
I figured I'd spend the night at the station. Not being local, I didn't realise the station was 5 miles out the other side of town, but I eventually got there and brewed a cup of tea with my army canteen wedged in a thankfully lit gas heater.

I didn't manage to see my mother but did eventually reach Sydney.

It was several years later I had the TV on a documentary and pricked up my ears at the words "mini" and " orange handled diving knife."
Then realised the road to Wee Jasper also leads to Belanglo State Forest.

Any Ozzie will know that name. Google that and see why it's famous.

So you are implying that Ivan Milat may have given you a lift.If so you are very fortunate to dodge catastrophe....the universe watched over you.But on a curious note Ivan didnt own a mini...the possibility of it being someone else is likely assumption as well.

Last edited: