• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Injection; IV Complications and Info MEGATHREAD & FAQ III Vs I Want Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the same problem last week, all was solved with hot water baths and mupirocine based cream.
Get an antibiotic cream with large spectre and strong with pus bacteria IMHO

I would make a doctor appointment, and in the day or two leading up to it keep an eye on it. Take a shapie and mark the edge of the lump so you can tell whether it gets worse or better. Take nsaids and. Keep a hot compress on it. Then if it's getting worse you have a doctor's appointment scheduled, and if it gets better you can just cancel. Good luck!

Yup, those are the classic signs of infection.

There is nothing we can do for you here.

Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Leaving that unattended can lead to serious problems.

Merging this with IV Complications Mega.

Broken, damaged, irritated vein and other vein damage = IMMEDIATE COLD AND PRESSURE ON THE INTERESTED POINT
Out of vein = IMMEDIATE HOT COMPRESS, PRESSURE ON THE INTERESTED POINT AND ANTIBIOTIC CREAM

This is the right basic rule before seeking medical attention ?? Any other useful treatment before E.R. ?

Broken, damaged, irritated vein and other vein damage = IMMEDIATE COLD AND PRESSURE ON THE INTERESTED POINT
Out of vein = IMMEDIATE HOT COMPRESS, PRESSURE ON THE INTERESTED POINT AND ANTIBIOTIC CREAM

This is the right basic rule before seeking medical attention ?? Any other useful treatment before E.R. ?

Read the section in the OP titled "missed hits".

is it possible to get an abscess from shooting up but not in a place that you shoot up

^ Nope that is impossible. If you developed an abscess on a different part of your body where you havent injected, it is not caused by injecting into other body parts (veins).. Abscesses are caused by obstruction of oil (sebaceous) glands or sweat glands, inflammation of hair follicles, or minor breaks and punctures of the skin AT THE SIT OF INJECTION. Germs get under the skin or into these glands, which causes an inflammatory response as your body's defenses try to kill these germs.The middle of the abscess liquefies and contains dead cells, bacteria, and other debris. This area begins to grow, creating tension under the skin and further inflammation of the surrounding tissues. Pressure and inflammation cause the pain.

People with weakened immune systems get certain abscesses more often because the body has a decreased ability to ward off infections. Other risk factors for abscess include exposure to dirty environments, exposure to persons with certain types of skin infections, poor hygiene, and poor circulation. As a result, shooting in your feet has a higher likelihood of developing abscesses. Generally IV use is safer above the waist; there are alot of good veins all up and down your arms! shooting in your hands is safer than shooting in your feet.

Last edited:
I've always been extremely careful ever since I started injecting but today I had a weird complication. I was hitting my left wrist, cephalic vein I think. I'm quite certain I didn't miss, at least I registered twice to make sure but afterwards the area got really sore, and the vein felt like a solid piece of string under my skin. For a moment I thought I did some damage, but since the same vein felt alright in other places I didn't think it was serious. It did clear up after a while and feels normal again but I'm left wondering what it was and why did it happen. The solid thing was there for only like an hour.

I'm still a noob (relatively anyway) at this so any insights would be appreciated so I know what it is in the future. :)

I've always been extremely careful ever since I started injecting but today I had a weird complication. I was hitting my left wrist, cephalic vein I think. I'm quite certain I didn't miss, at least I registered twice to make sure but afterwards the area got really sore, and the vein felt like a solid piece of string under my skin. For a moment I thought I did some damage, but since the same vein felt alright in other places I didn't think it was serious. It did clear up after a while and feels normal again but I'm left wondering what it was and why did it happen. The solid thing was there for only like an hour.

I'm still a noob (relatively anyway) at this so any insights would be appreciated so I know what it is in the future. :)

Those hard lumps form from prolonged damage being done. Are you using dull needles? Loosening the tie before injecting? Depressing the plunger to fast? Etc. All those things add up and cause damage.

Those hard lumps form from prolonged damage being done. Are you using dull needles? Loosening the tie before injecting? Depressing the plunger to fast? Etc. All those things add up and cause damage.

Nope, fresh needle every time (29g or 30g), even using a different one to draw water than to inject. I don't use a tie since my other wrist is broken and it tends to move the needle around too much when I loosen it due to that. Also injecting slowly and rotating sites. That's why I found it odd. Especially since it was so pronounced one minute and gone an hour later.

Another complication of IV injections is Lymphangitis, had it 3 yrs ago on right arm caused by missing the vein and injecting contaminated solution near lymphatic vessels.
Gone to ER and been cured with diclofenac IM for the pain and got prescribed antibiotics and hot baths or compress on the interested arm.
Fortunally mine was not a severe case and healed in less than 10 days.

Heres little info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymphangitis

there are also valves in your veins (I believe there are some in your wrist area). if you hit a valve or use excessive force while pushing the plunger (the veins in your wrist, ankles, hands, and feet are very sensitive). try hitting further up such as the forearm. tie around right below the elbow, and the vein should become visible from behind your thumb to the tie. its larger and easier to hit, doesn't really roll, and doesn't track up badly either.

Vascular issues resulting from long-term IV drug use?

I have these hands that are insane. At least once a day, someone will ask me "What is wrong with your hands!?" (IKR, rude, right?) I have swollen, red fingers. It cuts off at the knuckles and my hands from the knuckles to the wrists are fairly normal in color and size. I have heat and cold intolerance and they turn normalish in the cold, and if it's real cold they turn white, the fingers have an atrophied appearance and they sometimes wrinkle in the cold. When I am inside they are red and swollen. I have been to a thousand doctors, and of course everyone automatically wants to diagnose it as Raynauds. I am not entirely opposed to the diagnosis of Raynauds, it's just that I ended up having such poor veins over the years that at the end of my IV using, I was injecting into the very tiny and superficial veins in my fingers, fingertips and palms of my hands. I am aware that these veins do not have the capacity needed for what I was using them for, and I know that I probably did vessel damage. It makes sense, right? However, the doctors still see no solution. They often times dismiss the IV use as relevant, and insist that it has to be autoimmune or dermatitis (LOLOL.)

ANyway, Sorry for the long post, but I was wondering, does anyone have anything similar? Seen anything similar?? Every clinician that I have been to takes pictures and acts so perplexed.

Of course, I have researched my ass off, and I have not seen anything that is exactly like it either... there are things out there that resemble it, but then a symptom doesnt match up etc.

I am NOT asking for a diagnosis or any medical advice here. Just wondering if anyone here has used ridiculously small veins or collateral circulation.

I am a long term iv drug user, as well as a former self injurer. Both arms have multiple collapsed veins, and one arm has had 50+ stitches for deep lacerations. I can hardly send a text message without one of them going tingly and starting to loose feeling/"fall asleep".

I don't even know how you could use the tiny veins in fingers. How small of a needle did you use? I've used my hands and wrists plenty but never above that. Very interesting.

I'd be interested in others replies to this because I have worried about my circulation a lot lately.

OK guys im a little worried

so i had some good coke, i mean REALLY REALLY good IV coke. during the shot, i felt the rush come on and it made my hand twitch lol and i slipped out of the vein and missed the tail end of the shot. it has been 2 days and my arm is red and swollen around the site of injection. i havent gone back to my right arm at all, not even to shoot under my thumb... i am worried because i have missed shots before ( with bupre) and nothing like this happpens. i think that the cut probably i causing some inflammation..

it doesnt really hurt until i touch it, and i feel like there is pressure. i am pretty sure it is just phlebitis because signs of phlebitis are red swollen area at IV site, pain, warmness, ect.. which describes my symptoms.

how do i know if it is turning into an abscess? wont a little pimple head thing form in the middle? when will it be safe to use the vein/right arm again? all my track marks are cleared on my right arm because i switched to the left and not my left arm looks horrible lol. i have gone all the way up my bicep for my medial antebrachial and radial vein lol. also, there is just a line of red dots for my thumb-vein lolol

Edit: also can someone give me some ideas of what to use for a tourniquet so that i can release it with one hand? i havent been using them so it is a little more difficult to register. usually i have my friend hold my arm/wrist really tight like a human tourniquet loool.. any ideas, advice, inpt would be aappreciated!!

thanks,
-laC

Red and swollen? Could be infected, you should probably see a doctor for at least a course of antibiotics.

^ i have some antibiotics and antibiotic cream from when i had an abscess on tail bone (pilonidal). i will take doxycycline 100mg twice a day for the next 3-5 days. i am about to take 100mg now and rub some mupirocin 2% ointment on it

Status
Not open for further replies.