• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Info/help: Is it possible to re-use H when you've already tried to shoot it & failed?

mt. heart attack

Greenlighter
Info/help: Is it possible to re-use H when you've already tried to shoot it & failed?

Hello, I've just discovered Bluelight & wondered if anyone can advise me please...

I normally smoke H (I've been an addict for about 3 years & am on a methodone programme), recently I've been shooting - pretty much due to the appalling strength of H in my area (S. yorkshire, UK).
Anyway, last night I prepared a shot not too long after my previous shot & went into a vein in my arm. It fucked up & the barrel got blocked (I think because i re-used a vein I had gone into that morning) but the heroin had already mixed with my blood, I transferred the H/blood mixture into a new syringe but by this time I couldn't get a vein.....I'm fine shooting once in a while but doing it 3 times in a day I get progressively worse.
I emptied out the heroin/blood mixture into a dani pot & I've left it alone as I've been lead to believe there's no way of resurrecting the heroin mixture & it's good for nothing but the bin....

Am I right in thinking this, or is there any way of somehow not wasting it?
Even if I've lost it this time advice would be useful if it happens again, Thankyou.

Last edited:
I know its harm reduction so i should say throw it out there is bacteria, but I have taken the oldest disgustingest shit due to desperation and patheticness and either I heated it thoroughly first or I just said fuck it and sprayed some rubbing alcohol into it, bc as I recall one can inject a small percentage of alcohol up to 10% (but I keep it much lower than that). (yo that was all one sentence)

I dont know if alcohol does anything at all. if ur h is the kind u heat, then add some water and heat, but heat it thoroughly.

If your heroin has already got blood mixed in with it then i would think that it wont be long until the blood starts to thicken and coagulate. You could try adding more water to thin it out a bit but I wouldn't advise it due to the bacteria its probably picked up by now.
That's not to say I haven't done it myself in the past but you do run the risk of having a 'dirty' hit which is no fun at all.

Yowza.....got too scared to re-heat & shoot it, but I appreciate your reply. When I looked at the mixture there where swirls of blood in it & it freaked me out, but I hate waste........so, for the first time I used a spikeless barrel & 'dans le derriere' it went.
Isn't it strange what you end up doing when you're an addict?
I'd still like to know for future reference whether you can shoot an old mix of blood & heroin.

even if the blood coagulates (mine seems to not most of the time, is that bad?), I just filter it as I normally would or if it is really thick, I add a little water, then filter using a q-tip at worst. However, I am not suggesting u follow my unsanitary practices.

mt. heart attack, u could have plugged it, but good for you bc it's safer in the long run. u dont seem to be desperately sick so it makes sense to not take the risk. ime a q tip filter would have taken out the clots, swirls, and the solution would be a reddish brown or pinkish color depending on what type of h.

^maxalife, 2 questions for u, what happens when u get a dirty hit?

bc i feel like i have injected lots of unsanitary hits before and I wanna know if I went thru any consequences.

Also, if my blood doesnt clot often, like when the blood goes into the rig, it almost always blends in with the solution of water & h. is that bad? do u know the possibility of why?

When I have had a dirty hit I certainly knew about it. I had real bad pain in my head and pain in the kidneys which was unbearable,I have passed out while going through the above symptoms.
Your blood wouldn't usually coagulate in the barrel if you have enough water in there and you get your hit fairly quickly.
Ask anyone who has had a dirty hit and they will tell u that it isn't something you would want to happen to often.

yeah anytime a needle gets clogged or i can't hit a vein quick enough and the blood coagulates as depressing as it is I always toss it. better be safe then sorry.

thx, maxalife. so do u have to take antibiotics? is there an infection somewhere? or is it like cotton fever? how long does it last? sorry im pestering u to death, u dont have to answer me. When u passed out after ur shot, were u breathing, and how long were u out for? Sounds scary, glad u are still alive.

I think ive been lucky so far and i really need to and have to and want to stop injecting so much. it's summer and i have to wear long sleeves :(

what if my blood doesnt coagulate after a long time in the rig? is that symptomatic of anything?

Sounds like you hit your vein then you lost it, then you took too long to hit again and the blood coagulated and clogged your fit. Your hit is not suitable to be used now lol, if you're gunna be an idiot micron filter it atleast.

You need to get much better at injecting man. If you are freaking out and panicing each time you slip out the vein you got alot to learn yet man. If you slip out, pull back again and hit the vein again, usually this can be done with some gentle fishing around, but if that blood dosnt rush in again after tiny bit of fishing(what i mean by this is when your shooting, and you feel you've come out the vein, simply pull back your plunger and try to hit again, dont panic and keep pushing) then pull right out.

Now if it is hardcorely full of blood and you have room your your syringe sometimes adding some more water can make it easier to register but this isnt needed at all. Simply dont fuck around, you got 5 minutes to hit. So pull out and hit half a cm up from where you just hit. And make sure to concentrate on the empty space or "bubble" that gets created from the vaccuum, and carefully watches as this dissapeers and your mix turns much more red. Impossible to miss.

Learn not to stress and panic when your shots dont go quite as planned because the truth is this happens to every injector, the difference is just in how each person deals with the situation. Some people get instantly worried when they dont get blood the first time or they get it then lose it, and this pressure of wanting their hit and shit, causes them to fuck up even more, than their veins are harder to hit because they have been thrashed to fuck.

Anyways yeah your hit is finished with man, if you inject it now you would mostly get a "dirty hit". The fact your even asking if its still good for going directly into your bloodstream without micron filtering is alarming. Basically keep to the rule of once blood is in your syringe, you got 5 minutes to put it into your blood. And if you wait longer and transfer it to another fit, it MUST be filtered with 0.22um micron filters, or you are injecting clotted blood and any random bacteria(even if you cant see it in the solution, believe me blood is fucked, and its there), no way around this except micron filtration which in theory would remove all blood and bacteria. But if you got no microns dont risk it if you value your health.

Intravenous druguse is serious as fuck and its imperative you have educated yourself properly(you have the resources, the internet), you clearly havn't man. So you shouldn't be messing with iv drug use, sorry harsh but true.

Last edited:
^^ I agree, I think you should look and educate yourself more on shooting if you have this many questions.

even if the blood coagulates (mine seems to not most of the time, is that bad?), I just filter it as I normally would or if it is really thick, I add a little water, then filter using a q-tip at worst. However, I am not suggesting u follow my unsanitary practices.

mt. heart attack, u could have plugged it, but good for you bc it's safer in the long run. u dont seem to be desperately sick so it makes sense to not take the risk. ime a q tip filter would have taken out the clots, swirls, and the solution would be a reddish brown or pinkish color depending on what type of h.

Poor advice, learn more about what your talking about before dishing out such shit advice on a harm reduction forum.

^ I told him not to follow my unsanitary practices bc i know what i do isnt harm reduction.
Isn't part of harm reduction pointing out what not to do?

Sorry for sharing the crappy method about what i've done. i realize i've been stupidly lucky - unfortunately, sometimes that is the best thing an addict in desperation can hope for.

thx, maxalife. so do u have to take antibiotics? is there an infection somewhere? or is it like cotton fever? how long does it last? sorry im pestering u to death, u dont have to answer me. When u passed out after ur shot, were u breathing, and how long were u out for? Sounds scary, glad u are still alive.

I think ive been lucky so far and i really need to and have to and want to stop injecting so much. it's summer and i have to wear long sleeves :(

what if my blood doesnt coagulate after a long time in the rig? is that symptomatic of anything?

No worries mate. When I have had a dirty hit the pain has lasted from between 30mins and 2hours. Once the pain had passed that was the end of it, never needed to take antibiotics or anything as there was no lasting effects or infection.
Not sure how long I passed out for, don't think it was for long though. Can just remember being in the bathroom one minute and then next thing I knew I was opening my eyes and was sitting down at the top of my staircase.

If you had been to shoot it (heroin solution with blood), you should have done not long after blood got into the syringe. In such case there shouldn't be any problem. But now even if you had a solution of some heroin salt without blood in it stored for some time, it isn't a good idea to use it because of bacteria in it. When you've got heroin in a powdered form, there's much less chance, there's a lot of bacteria there, and if it's a freebase you go over the boiling point of water when you boil it with some weak acid like citric acid or 5-10% acetic acid water solution so most of bacteria don't survive this (nonetheless bacteria are such organisms that can take extreme conditions although not these kinds you'd be afraid of in such a situation).

I've done stupid things like re-using like 30-40 filters to get the most heroin stuck there when I was without any dope (added filters to small & citric acid water solution and boiled it until it got its tan color). But still, it's freebase here that's the most widespread. Actually, white to off-white heroin is hard to get, you need to know certain people to be able to obtain it but I would boil it even though it's a hydrochloride of heroin.

Well, during the time when I still shot up there wasn't a situation like "I can't find a vein"...:\

Either plug it or lay with your head hanging upside down off of your bed and squirt the mixture into your nose.

DO NOT squirt rubbing alcohol into the heroin solution as somebody stated above... yes one can shoot a small amount of alcohol in a shot but NOT isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol... never shoot rubbing alcohol it is not good for you. bacteriostatic water is made of water with 0.9% benzyl alcohol, which is safe to add to a solution for injection... only certain types of alcohol are safe. Just a heads up.

Generally, if you cant quite hit the vein and already have blood in the barrel, the quicker you make the shot the better... if you add the heroin/blood solution to another rig immediately it is not the most sanitary of practices but it is fine im sure every one has done it before, including myself. you just have to make sure the blood doesn't coagulate and clog the syringe... if ive registered but lose the vein and have trouble finding it again, my blood usually coagulates and clogs my 31g rigs FAST.

Anyway, if you then squirt it out and let it lay in a spoon or something in open air for a long time I would not suggest trying to shoot it. UNLESS: you made the solution with bacteriostatic water and/or you have a micron filter you can push the heroin/blood mixture through.

^So true about the emphasis you place on how fast blood coagualates outside of the body. It really is a matter of mere minutes, like literally 10 minutes maximum if your not going to attempt to remove the blood.

But you must remember just because your rig isnt blocking up dosn't mean you arent pumping clotted blood into your veins, with the insane speed that this starts taking place, literally immediately, your definitely injecting clotted blood even if it only took you 1 minute to shoot.

So if you come out the vein try to hit again without pulling the needle out, obviously dont fish around like an idiot, if you dont get it after a couple different angles or whatever, simply pull out and hit half a cm up from where you just hit, so you know the kind of shot you gotto do as you just hit it a second ago.

This kind of thing happens to me alot when im injecting on stimulants or like my hands are sweaty and i hit the vein then lose it. It's no drama, i just simply hit a vein within like 15 seconds afterwards.

It is such a good feeling to watch a seriously bloody shot on the verge of losing your hit, watching it all go into that vein, and it dont matter anymore. Great feeling.

I really do believe it comes down to your level of composure too. Alot of people seriously panic when they have the slightest bit of difficulty hitting home. As soon as its not a perfect first time shot they freak out and place all this pressure on themselves and get all hyped up and their heart races, and they just keep missing and lose their shot.

Where as more experienced cats know its no big deal, its not that it dont happen, its just they know how to deal with it, and it's nothing to stress about if you are confident in your abilities(and competent!).

But its all learning man. Just keep experiencing and learning. Really strive to become better at injecting and to improve your technique. There's people out there who are amazingly skilled at venipuncture. Amazing what the motivation for drugs can acheive.

this is the first ive heard of this "dirty hit" i have re used h that had my blood in it after 5 minutes i just filter like normal, sometimes add more water, but ive never felt this pain that you guys talk about?

The dirty hit isn't necessarily caused by your blood it could be from bacteria on your skin that u push in with the needle or I have had one caused by having a spoon that hadn't had all the washing up liquid rinsed off properly. Or using a dirty filter could do it as well.

honestly, I should have had like a million dirty hits then lol, I was so careless about stuff like that, especially re-using old filters, the only time i would change them is if i lost the one i was using, but i never felt this pain, guess i got pretty damn lucky either that or i was unknowingly keeping my stuff clean lol