• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

In my head i deny using codeine can be harmless prove me right wrong

Do you think that i will be fine in the kidney and liver then even after using daily quite high doses with no breaks? and how long of using daily would it take to actually cause damage to your organs would you say? and i’m not really clued up on all this do you mind explaining to me what you mean about muscle building and i’m actually a runner i don’t really do weights and i work in construction as a scaffolder so i’m often lifting heavy in my job all day but i focus on cardio not to bothered about muscle haha i am only 10.5 stone but could you explain what you mean about endrocrine hormone as you was saying cheers
I think your liver and kidneys will be fine. I've been using constantly for 25+ years and my numbers are in the good range. I've also had lots of other drug use and a 10 year period of Hep-C thrown in there. Not to say my lifestyle is safe because it's not and I've been extremely fortunate but in a lot of ways I'm lucky that my main addiction has been opiates but in a lot of other more meaningful life measurement terms not so lucky.

Opiates are known to really mess with the HPA axis and endocrine system. Interfering with sleep cycles, testosterone and mineral, vitamin absorption so would thus highly interfere with a workout routine.

I see thanks what colour would your stools sort of be looking if you have liver issues? and got to say i am looking forward to going for this blood test wednesday and finding out for peace of mind, and i know i have already cut down drastically now i’m only taking about 3 tablets of a weekend per day none through out the week days at all so i am trying my best now and eventually cut the weekends out
Your stool would lose colour, it would look grey/white.

I think your liver and kidneys will be fine. I've been using constantly for 25+ years and my numbers are in the good range. I've also had lots of other drug use and a 10 year period of Hep-C thrown in there. Not to say my lifestyle is safe because it's not and I've been extremely fortunate but in a lot of ways I'm lucky that my main addiction has been opiates but in a lot of other more meaningful life measurement terms not so lucky.

Opiates are known to really mess with the HPA axis and endocrine system. Interfering with sleep cycles, testosterone and mineral, vitamin absorption so would thus highly interfere with a workout routine.
Ahh good i hope so because i see a lot of people saying the only way it would be toxic is if they contained paracetamol and mine don’t so that’s a bonus and yeah i feel quite lucky that i’m not involved with like other hard drugs as i see these the same view as you that i don’t cause trouble out intoxicated etc and how do they mess with your testosterone ? if you don’t mind me asking and i just seem to do slot of cardio not really into weight lifting so hopefully doesint mess up my running haha

Your stool would lose colour, it would look grey/white.
oh yeah like a stale dog shit haha well mine do have colour so that’s a bonus just really hard and can’t be quite dark cos of constipation i’m guessing but will them tablets i said do the job ?

oh yeah like a stale dog shit haha well mine do have colour so that’s a bonus just really hard and can’t be quite dark cos of constipation i’m guessing but will them tablets i said do the job ?
100mg docusate sodium capsules would be fine. I always advise movicol sachets for constipation caused by opioids. American equivalent is miralax I think?

Again I’m adding the disclaimer that you should speak to your GP about this. Explain you’ve constipation and that you want an osmotic laxative.

100mg docusate sodium capsules would be fine. I always advise movicol sachets for constipation caused by opioids. American equivalent is miralax I think?

Again I’m adding the disclaimer that you should speak to your GP about this. Explain you’ve constipation and that you want an osmotic laxative.
I’m in the uk mate so i had to settle for them are you in the uk to or the us? and i will do i’ll ask for them wednesday with my blood test hopefully these focus ste sodium tabs do for now have to take 3 a day it says. should tackle it for the time being though and ease the constipation a touch

Ahh good i hope so because i see a lot of people saying the only way it would be toxic is if they contained paracetamol and mine don’t so that’s a bonus and yeah i feel quite lucky that i’m not involved with like other hard drugs as i see these the same view as you that i don’t cause trouble out intoxicated etc and how do they mess with your testosterone ? if you don’t mind me asking and i just seem to do slot of cardio not really into weight lifting so hopefully doesint mess up my running haha
Lowers testosterone. Sometimes, almost completely shuts it down.

haha what is the effects of this if your male feel like i’m going to turn into a woman now haha
Lowered motivation, energy, sex drive, muscle loss, weakness, moodiness, depression, sleep disturbances, and maybe some gyno in extreme cases. Probably more but right now off the top of my head that's mostly it.

Lowered motivation, energy, sex drive, muscle loss, weakness, moodiness, depression, sleep disturbances, and maybe some gyno in extreme cases. Probably more but right now off the top of my head that's mostly it.
Oh no worries thanks mate for clearing it up with me top man hopefully shouldn’t get them as i’m cutting down so fingers crossed this blood test goes well and i receive the results quite quickly

I’m in the uk mate so i had to settle for them are you in the uk to or the us? and i will do i’ll ask for them wednesday with my blood test hopefully these focus ste sodium tabs do for now have to take 3 a day it says. should tackle it for the time being though and ease the constipation a touch
If you’re in UK ask the GP to prescribe you laxido sachets, they taste so so but they will help a lot to soften the stool. Let us know how you get on.

If you’re in UK ask the GP to prescribe you laxido sachets, they taste so so but they will help a lot to soften the stool. Let us know how you get on.
I will do i’ll be asking that on my appointment wednesday and will let you know thanks mate

I believe that there could be an effective antidepressant hiding somewhere in Opioid chemistry, but I have doubts about the usage of self-administered Opioids as an effective, long-term treatment for depression. There are a lot of questions that are still unanswered in the annals of medicine and psychiatry regarding Opioids. Something I'm coming to learn, having been involved with drugs and HR learning for years, is that long-term effects of many substances are the great unknown. We have people who have taken Opioids their entire life and we are aware of some of the long-term effects in general, but if anything, the antidepressant effects of Opioids are an unimportant sideshow in contrast their abilities to produce physical analgesia.

Most folks I know who use Opioids chronically state that the antidepressant value of the drugs begin to wane after a couple of weeks and are barely present, if at all after a couple of years. A lot of Opioid users, myself included, become attached to the drugs for their ability to take away the pain of withdrawal. Relief from withdrawal is an ecstatic relief in its own right, so, powerful, but shitty when you realize you're only bringing yourself back into the same "normal" world you were living in prior to ever using Opioids in the first place. Still, this combination of potent, initial euphoria in the honeymoon period of usage, blends with the ecstasy of that same drug ending you're withdrawal misery every day instills an extremely lustful codependence in the drug. As any semblance of an outside life disappears, you turn more and more in on the drug.

In the end, it's pretty hard to break away. The main point is that these antidepressant effects seem to be temporary for nearly everyone. I could say, maybe you're a different type of person than the "typical" and you very-well could be, but you're coming here already saying you're willing to go against the grain and take a huge chance in this drug making your life okay. This leads me to believe you're probably going to follow the same path as every other person before you who was desperate enough to throw their eggs in that basket.

I know this is probably melodramatic. The gist is, whatever relief you're getting from the Codeine is likely going to fade, leaving you with an Opioid dependence and all of the same problems you started with. I just don't think it's actually what you want to do with your life, but I wouldn't fault you for trying. I did the same thing.

Mmm I love the orange laxido tastes like pure orange juice sometimes I drink 1 just for the taste

I always recommend a daily 2 teaspoons of psyllium husk to combat constipation. I am on suboxone (a much stronger opioid) at 8-12mg a day, and my stools are totally normal and regular, every morning they come sliding out like nothing is different. Before the psyllium, I was only going every 2-3 days and they were hard as a rock and very painful. As an added bonus, psyllium husk contains a good percentage of your daily fiber intake requirements.

The bigger issue is that being dependent on opiates really sucks. I daily regret the decision I made many years ago to start using opiates. I even had 5 years clean after I did an ibogaine flood dose, thought I would never go back, but then a horrible wasting illness with my father and a moment of weakness when morphine was in front of me and I was right back in. Problematic opiate use sneaks up on you, no one intends on being an opiate addict. So my advice to anyone is always to please reconsider using opiates to mask any emotional issues or boredom or whatever. Yes, codeine is physically much healthier for your body than alcohol. But the life of an opiate addict becomes sad and dreary, and once you hit that point, it is so god damn difficult to get out of it because withdrawal is such an emotional hellscape.

I was taking 1200mg codeine a day, and 18,000mg ibuprofen for around 3 years all up (not consecutive days).

It's definitely not harmless. I needed to go on maintenance therapy to come off of it.

I was taking 1200mg codeine a day, and 18,000mg ibuprofen for around 3 years all up (not consecutive days).

It's definitely not harmless. I needed to go on maintenance therapy to come off of it.
did your tablets have paracetamol in? i’m waiting on blood test results in mixing dihydrocodeine and codeine phosphate tablets strongest ones usually have 5-6 tablets a day for the past year do you think i could of caused kidney damage or liver damage through these two types of tablets and thanks for the reply

did your tablets have paracetamol in? i’m waiting on blood test results in mixing dihydrocodeine and codeine phosphate tablets strongest ones usually have 5-6 tablets a day for the past year do you think i could of caused kidney damage or liver damage through these two types of tablets and thanks for the reply
Honestly, try to chill and wait for your results to come back. The amount of anxiety you have over this shows me that you really do need to taper off the codeine and stop them.

There is always going to be some damage to your system from using any drug long term. Whether it be to your renal system, digestive system, by it causing dementia down the line as many drugs can cause (omeperazole being one) etc.

If your gut is telling you you’re causing damage then I’d well imagine you are. Stop the pills.

Opiates (codeine in particular) make for good frequent drugs of abuse provided you keep your dosage in check -- which, to be frank, is where most people falter. Personally speaking, 2-3 times a week of usage doesn't seem too bad on the physical end, and the more days you can put in between uses, the better.

No. Ibuprofen.

I specifically avoided the paracetamol ones as I could not do a CWE due to being homeless.

I'd still advise trying to quit. If your body is sending a message, listen.