View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

"In me LSD found it's creator"

Ismene

Bluelighter
Anyone got any thoughts on how "accidental" Hoffmans discovery of LSD was? Later in life after he retired Hoffman strongly implied that there was something other than chance involved in the creation of LSD. Be nice to think LSD "found it's creator" but perhaps that's pushing it a bit.

I honestly believe that "God" or whatever powers that be inspired its creation. There's no other explanation for LSD other than fate.

It is pretty wild that it was the first synthetic psychedelic ever discovered, and it remains basically the best (depending on who you ask) and safest. Even among the lysergamides, it just seems like the perfect one (though we have a whole lot of potential for further exploration in that regionb, the exploration of lysergamides has barely begun).

Then there's the old theory the deadheads like that lsd was 'discovered' in response to the manhattan project (initial synthesis date notwithstanding). All a bit teleological for me (though i likes me a bit of teilhard de chardin). They were looking at ergoloids, so it was pretty likely efficient german chemists would have come across it - add a bit of luck that hoffman got a bit in his mouth (or whatever) and here we are (plus the luck that hoffman was already a bit cosmic from his childhood 'religious experiences' probably helps). My acid-brain and my romantic side sort of wants it to be true though.

A hilarious and ridiculous fact is that his bicycle day dose was ingested at 4:20pm!

In "My Problem Child" Hofmann mentions he wanted to become a poet or an artist to articulate his spiritual experiences as a child. When he realised he had no talent at these endeavours he pursued a career in chemistry with the intent of finding a way to replicate the experiences. He probably figured no pharmaceutical company would pay him to find such substances so he just made up the "looking for a circulation stimulant" story as a cover for his research.

well he discovered it and set it aside for 5 years until trying it, may be that was the time it took for him to notice the DMT skeleton in it? =D

lol jk, i dont even know if they had any study of hallucinogens in the 40s, but if they did, well perhaps...

idk i think its just coincidence

A hilarious and ridiculous fact is that his bicycle day dose was ingested at 4:20pm!

that is just uncanny lol

I believe LSD is the therapeutic medicine the world has been looking for. But big Pharma found that won't make them any profit so they threw a fuckton of anti-XXs at us to blind the world from a safer, more beneficial approach.

I look at the downfall of the psychedelic movement in this way because isn't it such a coincidence that when things were picking up they started making barbs and antidepressants and then eventually capitalized on one of the most addictive medicines in the world, opium and slammed us with opioids to just make the general "therapy" business more lucrative for themselves.

These drugs made society forget about the hallucinogens and attached a stigma on them to discourage the use of these beautiful substances as they were not "FDA approved" and had "no medicinal value".

Doesn't stop me tho. I'd go out on a limb and say LSD cured my depression.

But big Pharma found that won't make them any profit so they threw a fuckton of anti-XXs at us to blind the world from a safer, more beneficial approach.

Sadly I think it's even simpler than that. A lot of people who use LSD and other psychedelics tend toward empathy, nonviolence, acceptance of unusual or nonstandard thinking, and a whole host of other thought processes that those in power don't understand and find threatening. Or to simplify even further, being open minded undermines authority. It really is that simple. I don't think there's a conspiracy so much as a self replicating machine made out of terrified authority figures who think psychedelics are going to destroy the system they're comfortable in.

Sadly I think it's even simpler than that. A lot of people who use LSD and other psychedelics tend toward empathy, nonviolence, acceptance of unusual or nonstandard thinking, and a whole host of other thought processes that those in power don't understand and find threatening. Or to simplify even further, being open minded undermines authority. It really is that simple. I don't think there's a conspiracy so much as a self replicating machine made out of terrified authority figures who think psychedelics are going to destroy the system they're comfortable in.

Sometimes I think they are fully aware of the eye opening potential of LSD and other psychedelics. They just don't want the entire population the way it was in the 60s. That won't be beneficial to them. They know not how to live in love so they feed us fear.

I don't think so. I think their predecessors feared it because they saw large scale antiestablishment tendencies but the people in power now just ride the old party line without really understanding anything about psychedelics. It's an easy political position, like being "tough on crime" or "pro-jobs."

The sad fact is, hippies didn't do shit. They failed. Hippies with the Internet could be different, maybe. It'll happen eventually. Just don't be disappointed when the world stays the same, only your shitty boss and the stock brokers and the politicians are doing LSD on their yachts.

the people in power now just ride the old party line without really understanding anything about psychedelics. It's an easy political position, like being "tough on crime" or "pro-jobs."

I agree with that.

only your shitty boss and the stock brokers and the politicians are doing LSD on their yachts.

Doubt it. Coke being the most obvious choice, but who knows?

LSD was discovered "accidentally" the same way that life on earth began "accidentally".

Do you guys ever wonder if "1P-LSD" was discovered first, it would be considered the best? And, later on we discovered LSD to be inferior?

Doubt it. Coke being the most obvious choice, but who knows?

Psychedelics are getting more mainstream slowly. I guarantee they'll be a part of those stupid corporate retreats eventually. Pretty soon some conservative politician will be working his acid trip into a speech about how he's taking all your rights away and sucking the dick of the rich.

LSD didn't save the world in the 60s. It's not gonna save it in the future. I think it has a lot of good to offer and it'll be a better world when safe drugs are legal. But there are selfish, shitty assholes who do acid now. There's gonna be a lot more.

I always felt there was something weird about Hoffman's first accidental ingestion. IIRC, the effects only lasted for a few hours... Not at all like LSD really.

Then again, he was dealing with the worlds most potent hallucinogen and had a hallucinogenic experience... Not a coincidence I guess. Still doesn't explain the brevity of his experience IMO.

LSD was discovered "accidentally" the same way that life on earth began "accidentally".

It just came out of nowhere. ;)

I like the atom bomb thought, discovered around the same time, the Universe had to do something or silly humans would have blown themselves up. Instead we got the 60's.

Do you guys ever wonder if "1P-LSD" was discovered first, it would be considered the best? And, later on we discovered LSD to be inferior?

that's an interesting question. i often wonder if the 'prototypical' psychs/empathogen/any drug class are so just because of historical value rather than anything

what if the APB's were discobered before MDMA, and then people found MDMA to be bad because it wasn't so stimulating or because of the horrible comedowns with often weird side effects

humm