• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids *Impossible* to get a cold/flu while on opiates?

I'm just going to throw out the point that heroin is often cut partially with quinine and this I believe reduces the white blood-cell count, which could be one of the reasons that it helps out seasonal allergies. Just saying. It may or may not be truthful at all... just brainstorming.

Yeah im on the same page as most around here... When I started using opiates, up til recently (when i've cut down the use more than 80%) - i never got a cold or flu between 2008-2011 (i got one about a month back, sucked)

I think it could be just that when you're on opiates you cant tell when you are sick. I remember one time when i had a cold, before i was physically addicted to heroin, i did a hit and instantly felt my cold just go away. This was because of the pain killing effects of the opiates. I'm guessing that has something to do with why someone who is high on opiates every day wouldn't feel a cold.As for the flu I've never had it in my life, so idk bout that.

u have to understand ,opiate users arent high all the time ,unless u can afford ALOT,but then u still run into work problems so i dont think its the actual drug getting rid of sickness

,yourability to get sick is still there ,i mean look at cotton fever when germs have a "express lane" to your brain ...u get the "fever "

i once read a book that told of how "u" pick what virus/germ gets through(at a quantum level) ,u walk around everyday with enough pathagens(sp) to kill u right in your lungs,what lets ONE get through?

is it so hard to believe that your body/mind is so driven by the addiction to say nope nothing is slowing us down at this time....i think maybe subcosciously(sp) this is whats happening ,i mean there is a case of a boy in the book with multiple personality disorder,one is allergic to orange juice,when its drank as one of the other personalities and then he changes into the other personality he broke out in hives,scars would appear and disapear with each personality ,moles ,freckles etc

so to me it isnt hard to believe your body chooses to NOT get sick especially going through addiction to opiates ,u dont think ur getting alot of germs in ur shot of dope? thats been in HOW MANY hands,stuffed in places u rather not know about....cut with god knows what,in a bag thats been WHERE?

Since I've been taking opiates again for 2 years I've never been sick. It's a lifetime record. I'd always come down with a cold, a cough, a virus. From my experience this is true.

hahaha funny co-insidence.. I woke up today with this killer flu/head cold and pretty much went straight into town to pick up some smack.. after shooting and snorting roughly 75mg spaced throughout the whole after noon (its very fucking strong), its cleared my head right up and I feel much better...

weird shit

For real ? You guys can't get over the counter codiene + paracetamol pills in the pharmacy ? WTF that would suck! & I thought Australia was becoming a real nanny state but at least we can get codiene over the counter but it's at the discretion of the pharmacist

u have to understand ,opiate users arent high all the time ,unless u can afford ALOT,but then u still run into work problems so i dont think its the actual drug getting rid of sickness

,yourability to get sick is still there ,i mean look at cotton fever when germs have a "express lane" to your brain ...u get the "fever "

i once read a book that told of how "u" pick what virus/germ gets through(at a quantum level) ,u walk around everyday with enough pathagens(sp) to kill u right in your lungs,what lets ONE get through?

is it so hard to believe that your body/mind is so driven by the addiction to say nope nothing is slowing us down at this time....i think maybe subcosciously(sp) this is whats happening ,i mean there is a case of a boy in the book with multiple personality disorder,one is allergic to orange juice,when its drank as one of the other personalities and then he changes into the other personality he broke out in hives,scars would appear and disapear with each personality ,moles ,freckles etc

so to me it isnt hard to believe your body chooses to NOT get sick especially going through addiction to opiates ,u dont think ur getting alot of germs in ur shot of dope? thats been in HOW MANY hands,stuffed in places u rather not know about....cut with god knows what,in a bag thats been WHERE?

crazy to think about

Maybe as you are all young but I have had many colds & bugs over 40 years no flu, my core temp is high but that wears me down quicker now.

"I never advocated junk [heroin] but I haven't had a cold in 13 years"

--Keith Richards

nope, i have been sick like 2-3 times in the past 3-4 months (im on suboxone MT)

Never had the flu on opiates.. I've def had a couple small colds though while I was using, sure.. it's not that uncommon. However, when your high as a kite, you might not even notice a little cold, hah. One thing I've seen heroin directly contribute to though is clearing up acne. It keeps your skin really fresh and clean from pimples and shit..and even just general wear and tear on your skin. I've seen long time dope fiends in their 40's look like they were 25, hah. Just recently I had a friend who had really bad acne, after a few months of using heroin heavily, it went away.. when he gets clean, it comes back.. Crazy. I don't know if it's a fact, but I've seen it on multiple occasions. Heroin keeps ya' youthful... provided your not also drinking heavily or smoking a lot of crack, etc, that's where the real harm on your body comes from.

it does depress your immune system but what opioids get rid of the symptoms so you never notice that you have it. personally experienced this when i was drinking almost every day, didnt get ill once for months when normally I get every cold coming 8)

most common colds symptoms are purely your immune system overreacting ie the actual bacteria/virus isn't harmful but your body thinks it is. Thats why if you are taking something that gets rid of all the symptoms daily you will never feel sick

You know, heroin really is a miracle drug for treating the common cold.

No sneezing at all, no watery eyes, coughing gone or minimal, aches and pain diminished and nose much clearer.

If it weren't for that pesky ruining your life side effect, big pharma would be all over that.

May be true but unfortunately if you happen to become addicted, some of the withdrawals are similar to the worst flu you'll ever have. So yea that's that ruining your life side effect your talking about lol.

Are you sure that it's a cold that you have, because you are also describing opiate withdrawal symptoms that heroin is also great at treating. :\

Opiates/opioids are known to be antitussives as well, which is why they [most commonly codeine or hydrocodone] are prescribed in combination with an antihistamine as a cough suppressant when OTC meds aren't enough.

I'm going to merge this with an existing thread on the topic.

Merged.