• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids *Impossible* to get a cold/flu while on opiates?

I've been on opiates for 3 years and I constantly get sick. I also go to school and work full-time at a call center so if something is going around, there is a good chance 75% of the people in the building(s) will catch it.

I am a firm believer in that it does not help you become immune to the flu or a cold, but more of it just gets rid of the pain, makes breathing easier, prolly gives you energy(unless/until you nod out ha), and don't forget you are high as a kite so that makes it eaasier and you prolly won't remember that day or how sick you really were. For example thinking about 5 months ago when you had rabies and did a huge heroin shot; yeah I didn't feel that bad, in fact I remember that day being pretty kickass(fake situation, don't get rabies;the more you know!nbc)

I have the same profile with amphetamines, except I still had a dry throat for a few days, and I also coughed a little, but never too much. I had codeine as well come to think of it. It seems like I just cover up the symptoms, that would make the most sense. But even off them I don't get the sickness, occasionally I would not take either and still have no signs of sickness besides coughing (never really quite severe), and dryness.

Of course after posting about not catching what my whole house has at the moment I start feeling like like crap.

Not sure if I am coming down with it or if it is just due to stopping the cimetidine I was taking with my methadone dose the past few days causing it to weaken a bit.

I didn't want to continue with that though and end up making it harder to taper down later.

I will monitor how I feel and look for other symptoms that aren't common with WD and will update if I start getting sick and not dope sick.

The answer is quite simple. Our immune systems need "practice". By practice I mean if we expose our immune system to small amounts of germs every day it becomes stronger and can fight off viruses a lot better.

So now you're probably asking "how does taking opiates expose ourselves to germs?" Heres how: lets start with pills. Most fillers in pills have no benefit to the human body, and a lot of the fillers get absorbed into the bloodstream (especially if you IV or snort the pills). So if you're constantly using or abusing pills every day then your immune system is getting an excellent workout. Also, you immune system gets an even better workout from IV'ing heroin. Heroin can be cut with some pretty dirty shit.

Ever notice how some of your classmates/coworkers are home sick every once in a while, even the rich ones? A lot of these clean freaks live completely sterile lives and shower 3 times a day (and don't use drugs most likely), so their immunes systems are weak, so once they are exposed to a virus, they are fucked.

Another benefit of drug use!

ive wondered before if its maybe because some dope gets cut with thiamine which i believe is vitamin b1...i think.

ive had dope before that smells like a multi vitamin dipped in vinegar, was good quality rock and was getting it for a while, i was thinking i was getting a dose of vitamins with my dope haha

^Haha yeah bro I have come across dope occasionally that definitely smelled like vitamins. Dope was good, but had that random 'earthy' vitamin taste, especially when shooting it, I would get that taste in my mouth almost immediately.

Maybe the added vitamins helped keep the immune system top notch :) A shot (or four) a day keeps the doctor away ! j/k

I didn't read the entire thread but I felt like during my few year run of daily pill/dope usage I never got sick. I don't know if this was true or not, but it seemed like since the symptoms of withdrawal and a cold/flu are very similiar, doing a shot of dope would make me feel better (obviously). Since w/d and the flu are so similar, I feel like even if I DID have the flu, my body couldn't tell if it was w/d or actual sickness. So doing a shot would make me feel better regardless what the cause was.

The answer is quite simple. Our immune systems need "practice". By practice I mean if we expose our immune system to small amounts of germs every day it becomes stronger and can fight off viruses a lot better.

So now you're probably asking "how does taking opiates expose ourselves to germs?" Heres how: lets start with pills. Most fillers in pills have no benefit to the human body, and a lot of the fillers get absorbed into the bloodstream (especially if you IV or snort the pills). So if you're constantly using or abusing pills every day then your immune system is getting an excellent workout. Also, you immune system gets an even better workout from IV'ing heroin. Heroin can be cut with some pretty dirty shit.

Ever notice how some of your classmates/coworkers are home sick every once in a while, even the rich ones? A lot of these clean freaks live completely sterile lives and shower 3 times a day (and don't use drugs most likely), so their immunes systems are weak, so once they are exposed to a virus, they are fucked.

Another benefit of drug use!

This is, by far and without a doubt, the single most idiotic post I think I have ever read on all of bluelight. Jesus Christ.

yes ur right, the feeling of being sick is drowned out by the body having no pain. I now eat 4-5 80 op's a day (cause i cant get real anymore) and a lil while ago i started feeling a little sick, try going to withdrawals AND having the flu at the same time. If there ever was a time i thought i was going to die or wanted to off myself, that was it.

This is, by far and without a doubt, the single most idiotic post I think I have ever read on all of bluelight. Jesus Christ.

You don't understand how it works do you? He is a lot closer to the truth than you think.

If you keep yourself completely free of germs then you are weakening your immune system.

I think the impossibility to get flu is mostly caused by analgesia, euphoria and coughsuppressive qualities of opiates.

One simply feels OK, though there might be something wrong (infection) there at throat, lungs and such.

Not trying to be boring... I'm opiate addict myself; and I don't have much of those crappy flu symptoms, ever. I just don't believe that there is magical cure in opiates, other than mentioned analgesia, euphoria and coughsuppr.

I completely agree about not getting sick or a cold. I cant remember the last time I was sick. I've been clean for almost a month now, after 4 years of recreational to regular use, and low and behold, ive developed a chest cold in the last couple of days. I had almost forgotten what this was like. Not fun.

opiates are potent immunosuppressants so they may very well prevent the normal response to bacteria/virus we feel as sickness. It prevents elevated cytokines and nitric oxide production in response to sickness among many other actions. This immunosuppression combined with greater analgesia makes it no huge shock that opiate no only block the bodies response to sickness from immunosuppression but also masks it through pain killing and a general mood boost.

You don't understand how it works do you? He is a lot closer to the truth than you think.

If you keep yourself completely free of germs then you are weakening your immune system.

No he isn't, he's a moron, and so are you apparently :sigh: Doing drugs does not strengthen your immune system because you introduce outside substances like binders and fillers into your body. Go do some research instead of just posting whatever nonsensical garbage ideas pop into your head.

Good fucking god some of the people on this forum are soo incredibly stupid that it's any wonder how they even know how to breath.

well, after 10 years on H, i only remember a few times to wake up with a soar throat or some cough, of course it would almost disappear after i would usually score in the morning. When i did finally quit and got on Subutex, i got a kick ass cold like never before, and came on here (BL) looking for answers, since i considered Subs opiates, but i didn't get responses like on this thread and a few people didn't even see why am i finding it weird to get sick on Subutex. Are Full or partial agonists different in that regards? I read through all the posts since this topic has been very interesting to me but i still believe there are no one main answer, would like to see some research someday.

Kind of ironic since when opiate withdrawals start to kick in it FEELS like a really bad cold! Sniffles, fever-like symptoms, diarrhea, spontaneous ejaculation, you know, all the usual bits.

I got the flu while one opiates.

Once, while on suboxone, I got the 24 hour flu, which sucked. Puked my ass off and felt so sick I couldn't even take my suboxone cause my nose was so clogged.

The other time, I convinced myself I had HIV, and had a low grade fever for for two weeks. But that may have all been phsychosomatic. Anxiety disorder + One act of unprotected sex = two months of insomnia, panic attacks and preparing my will for my parents and sister. "Leave everything to my beloved sister! Remember the good times..."

Anyhoo, both times were on suboxone. That stuff barely got me high at the time, so maybe the results would be different if I was actually getting high on something like Opana or heroin.

I've rarely gotten colds, and take high dose Rx every day, but I have gotten some killer colds. They seem to be short -lived, but I experience symptoms from a cold far worse because of fibromyalgia.

In all honestly, if you're doing higher level narcs like H, you probably wouldn't fucking know you were sick..it is an interesting theory though as even with having kids I am the one that is almost never sick :p

And you're right, flu and dope sick are almost indistinguishable.