• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

I'm visiting Netherlands. Which truffels should I buy? Help me choose!

begshroomguy

Greenlighter
Hi!

I am visiting Netherlands on an extremely low budget, I will stay at my friend's for the next few days, but he agreed to give me space for the day if I will want to trip.

After a few days, I will leave Netherlands, so I will probably not have the chance t trip again anytime soon (the friend actually paid half the price for the trip, he's a really nice guy, and I'm on an extremely tight budget!).

My goal is to discover my subconsciousness and to attempt to realize more about the universe (therefore explore it as well if that makes sense?), perhaps even in a spiritual way...

I am not interested in laughing a lot at all, to be honest. I am interested in having a deep, intense and thoughtful experience.

I have never tripped before, but smoked plenty of weed. I am not in the absolutely best place in my life right now (remember the low budget?), but I have wanted to use mushrooms (or truffels in this case) for a very long time now, and that is in part why I came to see my friend here and why he financed half of the cost for my trip (I'm not too social a guy and I do not know anyone who sells them in my country, nor am I a very trusting guy of stranges).

So... What would you recommend I buy for such a trip? Here is the list of what's available (although feel free to recommend others, maybe I will find other smart shops around if really needed):

• Atlantis
  • Cosmic Connectors
  • Dolphins Delight
  • Dragon's Dynamite
  • Dutch Dragons
  • Golden Teacher
  • High Hawaiians
  • Mexicana
  • Mothers Finest
  • MushRocks
  • Purple Rain
  • Royal Beluga
  • Space Shuttles
  • Tampanensis
  • White Diamonds

Never had truffles before; however, I did grow the Mexicana strain one time, and can say I found it to be a particularly powerful and introspective strain of mushie.

all this branding and such is mostly marketing. there are a few different species of sclerotia sold (mexicana, tampanensis, etc), but don't buy too much into the appearance of the product. all of them will contain psilocybin and psilocin.

Utopia
Hollandia

If memory serves me correct these are the strongest strains and the ones I 've used when I was there and elsewhere. I recommend cause I've tried them and enjoyed my time. They will be priced the most expensive of the lot but I'v tried Atlantis and not strong enough if you ask me.

Netherlands is expensive alright, hard enough to budget but you have a mate there so no money on accomodation but like everything where theres a will theres a way.

Hope you have a ball there mate. I had fun. Cold at this time of the year.
Hope this info helps you mate.

Never had truffles before; however, I did grow the Mexicana strain one time, and can say I found it to be a particularly powerful and introspective strain of mushie.

Thanks for input. :)

all this branding and such is mostly marketing. there are a few different species of sclerotia sold (mexicana, tampanensis, etc), but don't buy too much into the appearance of the product. all of them will contain psilocybin and psilocin.

All of them will contain those, but they - theoretically - should contain differing ingredients that are specific to the strain.

Utopia
Hollandia

If memory serves me correct these are the strongest strains and the ones I 've used when I was there and elsewhere. I recommend cause I've tried them and enjoyed my time. They will be priced the most expensive of the lot but I'v tried Atlantis and not strong enough if you ask me.

Netherlands is expensive alright, hard enough to budget but you have a mate there so no money on accomodation but like everything where theres a will theres a way.

Hope you have a ball there mate. I had fun. Cold at this time of the year.
Hope this info helps you mate.
Thanks, we'll see what happens soon! Haha

All of them will contain those, but they - theoretically - should contain differing ingredients that are specific to the strain.

Not really.. :) What makes you think that?

It's mostly just potency differences or psilocybin vs psilocin content, psilocin possibly having a bit faster kinetics making the comeup more abrupt which can be potentially strong and visual. But even this is uncertain.
Even these differences in varieties are not all that consistent and reliable.

Other alkaloids aren't really known to be active themselves, especially not in the quantities present, but they may very well interact simply as competitive MAO substrates (imo).

It's fair to just check for particularly good reviews, if there are so many that it's statistically interesting and not just anecdotal... but I wouldn't buy into the different effect profiles. But yes dfferent species are worth paying attention to, even just the potency may differ from the origin being P. Mexicana or P. Caerulescens etc, which could possibly be hybridized. Point is though, there are a lot of these are variety names that are not meaningful distinctions.

Not really.. :) What makes you think that?

It's mostly just potency differences or psilocybin vs psilocin content, psilocin possibly having a bit faster kinetics making the comeup more abrupt which can be potentially strong and visual. But even this is uncertain.
Even these differences in varieties are not all that consistent and reliable.

Other alkaloids aren't really known to be active themselves, especially not in the quantities present, but they may very well interact simply as competitive MAO substrates (imo).

It's fair to just check for particularly good reviews, if there are so many that it's statistically interesting and not just anecdotal... but I wouldn't buy into the different effect profiles. But yes dfferent species are worth paying attention to, even just the potency may differ from the origin being P. Mexicana or P. Caerulescens etc, which could possibly be hybridized. Point is though, there are a lot of these are variety names that are not meaningful distinctions.
Hmm... So you think (amongst some others) that I should just get a potent but not super potent truffle for my first time with the goal of self analysis and "finding myself" and just forget all the charts?

I mean when it comes to weed, I'm always the guy who points out his the effect differs and his it feels in detail. Unless I smoke daily, then it becomes same crap that's either potent or not. :p most people don't see the difference anyway, I always do and I never know what it is I'm smoking beforehand.

There are differences with weed: with weed there are 2 receptors: CB1 and CB2 which both play important roles and interact in terms of activity. Psychedelics act on mostly one receptor (5HT2A) but also in more minor ways on others (like 5HT1A), which for some psychedelics can be major but those tend to be exceptions.
Also, certainly not all psychedelic action on that 2A is the same as there can be subtle differences that end up being pretty damn important. Even the intensity/activity measured over time (kinetics) can probably play an important role, just consider how being overwhelmed can prime the rest of the experience and make it spin more out of control, whereas very easygoing effects have far different impact and also allow you to react and take timely measures.

But: psilocin and psilocybin and other such alkaloids don't really have such a rich interplay as to act significantly on different receptors as far as is known. Also, besides THC and CBD there are other natural cannabinoids and there are also different Cannabis species that have been hybridized and cultivated to yield many different types. So the difference possible there is a bit more verifiable.

I won't try to claim or argue that there are absolutely no differences qualitatively between mushrooms or truffles or synthetic psilocin which I have also tried, but that generally fell in a range from 'pure psilocin' or high psilocin content to 'other stuff present as well'. And I'd say that psychedelic effects are also more complex than weed palettes and that even from the same batch you can get so different trips that it just gets difficult to say much about it. I mean, P. Azurescens or Cyanescens shrooms felt more 4-HO-DMT or LSD like to me than Cubensis... but from Cubensis I got a lot of different experiences that weren't nearly as clearly separated as the differences between weed strains.

So yeah I'd forget about the charts mostly, at least I wouldn't obsess unnecessarily about picking the right strain... it's enough to just pick one that appeals to you and reserve your attention and energy on your set & setting which definitely aren't easy to arrange in a foreign country for most people!! And on just generally a good product and choosing a proper dosage.
Really, the casual (and I guess necessary) way tourists tend to arrange their setting here is likely to set them up for more issues than from picking one truffle strain over another probably would. Forgetting for a moment that you can be unlucky or lucky with the potency of your particular truffles or mushrooms - hard to predict with products of nature!
So maybe let's talk about getting that out of the way first?

Last edited:
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've always found the Netherlanders I've encountered to be helpful, honest and informative. Each time I've told smart-shop workers what I've been wishing to achieve, I've been given good guidance and had many lovely experiences whether with mushrooms (pre-ban days) or weed. I believe you're a "local" Solipsis - does this fit your impression as a native?

Well, there are plenty of those smart-shops... I think generally if you are anywhere in the country going to such smart-shops you get fair guidance... but Amsterdam tends to have extra ones and I doubt that there is enough oversight and proper guidance of each and every type of tourist. Often enough I think they will sell you your truffles anyway even though the harm reduction message is certainly not always delivered well enough. Consider tourists already plenty high on weed who are not getting the advice given... they will still want to make money, repeat their advice, concisely perhaps, and send you on your merry way. This is probably NOT an exception unfortunately, so way too many customers may not receiving proper oversight, like waiting on giving you your 'certificate' until you are quite able.

I don't live in Amsterdam anymore.. but have lived there. Most good smartshops I've been to were in different places, probably because in Amsterdam there are tourist shops masquerading as smart-shops. Don't know if those have been reduced.

I for one am not honest, helpful or informative, fuck you.. ;p no jk i hope

There are differences with weed: with weed there are 2 receptors: CB1 and CB2 which both play important roles and interact in terms of activity. Psychedelics act on mostly one receptor (5HT2A) but also in more minor ways on others (like 5HT1A), which for some psychedelics can be major but those tend to be exceptions.
Also, certainly not all psychedelic action on that 2A is the same as there can be subtle differences that end up being pretty damn important. Even the intensity/activity measured over time (kinetics) can probably play an important role, just consider how being overwhelmed can prime the rest of the experience and make it spin more out of control, whereas very easygoing effects have far different impact and also allow you to react and take timely measures.

But: psilocin and psilocybin and other such alkaloids don't really have such a rich interplay as to act significantly on different receptors as far as is known. Also, besides THC and CBD there are other natural cannabinoids and there are also different Cannabis species that have been hybridized and cultivated to yield many different types. So the difference possible there is a bit more verifiable.

I won't try to claim or argue that there are absolutely no differences qualitatively between mushrooms or truffles or synthetic psilocin which I have also tried, but that generally fell in a range from 'pure psilocin' or high psilocin content to 'other stuff present as well'. And I'd say that psychedelic effects are also more complex than weed palettes and that even from the same batch you can get so different trips that it just gets difficult to say much about it. I mean, P. Azurescens or Cyanescens shrooms felt more 4-HO-DMT or LSD like to me than Cubensis... but from Cubensis I got a lot of different experiences that weren't nearly as clearly separated as the differences between weed strains.

So yeah I'd forget about the charts mostly, at least I wouldn't obsess unnecessarily about picking the right strain... it's enough to just pick one that appeals to you and reserve your attention and energy on your set & setting which definitely aren't easy to arrange in a foreign country for most people!! And on just generally a good product and choosing a proper dosage.
Really, the casual (and I guess necessary) way tourists tend to arrange their setting here is likely to set them up for more issues than from picking one truffle strain over another probably would. Forgetting for a moment that you can be unlucky or lucky with the potency of your particular truffles or mushrooms - hard to predict with products of nature!
So maybe let's talk about getting that out of the way first?
Well, there are plenty of those smart-shops... I think generally if you are anywhere in the country going to such smart-shops you get fair guidance... but Amsterdam tends to have extra ones and I doubt that there is enough oversight and proper guidance of each and every type of tourist. Often enough I think they will sell you your truffles anyway even though the harm reduction message is certainly not always delivered well enough. Consider tourists already plenty high on weed who are not getting the advice given... they will still want to make money, repeat their advice, concisely perhaps, and send you on your merry way. This is probably NOT an exception unfortunately, so way too many customers may not receiving proper oversight, like waiting on giving you your 'certificate' until you are quite able.

I don't live in Amsterdam anymore.. but have lived there. Most good smartshops I've been to were in different places, probably because in Amsterdam there are tourist shops masquerading as smart-shops. Don't know if those have been reduced.

I for one am not honest, helpful or informative, fuck you.. ;p no jk i hope
Yes, we can talk about anything that might help me to experience mushrooms. I just thought to take this step by step,hehe. It's probably visible that I'm a short of a perfectionist who is obsessing about something I wanted to do for a long time. And especially as of late, I want to discover more about myself because I'm not too happy a person lately, and that is because I feel I am not myself.

But speaking of setting, I can more of less to anywhere in Netherlands for it, i just can't afford to pay for stay and don't know enough people here.

the boxes they sell are usually 15-20g (they are wet, not dried) if I remember correctly... so apparantly you ate what was 1/4 of a dose they would sell you at the smart shop.

4 grams is indeed more of a strong dose if dried mushrooms, not wet truffles (sclerotia)..

I don't think they sell dried truffles as they are very hard like gravel, but you can still dry them fyi when you want to preserve them longer and just rehydrate / reconsistute when you want to take them.

@ OP and the set & setting: Being able to stay at a friend's place should be relatively a trusted environment if you do feel trusting and comfortable there, more personal than something like a hotel room or having to go in public indeed.

The mindset does sound tricky, you'd better take it easy with the dosage and also probably not smoke weed with it, and prepare to confront some things you find difficult that are apparently bothering you. Anyway it's good that you have a 'few days' to sort yourself out, that should take off a bit of pressure. You will probably be fine to do other activities, but it's better to not count on any of that too much as IMO it is much better to have the feeling that there isn't anything you HAVE to do, and can do the experience in all freedom.

last time i was there, I tried the Freshbox White Diamonds and had an awesome trip. I ate the whole box and had a wild night! have fun! just make sure you are in a good head space.

I thought shrooms were illegal in Amsterdam now cause on dumb Brit jumped off a bridge?

Or did they go back on that??

I did shrooms years back in 2004 in Amsterdam but my trips were VERY week cause they sell them WET and so they weigh more without being as strong.

Dried shrooms, for whatever dumb ass reason, were illegal, and those were what I was used to.

Had I known I'd have bought MANY more as I didn't have enough time to dry my own.

So beware: you will probably need twice or 3 times as much as usual, or at least I did.

^Mushrooms are still illegal. Truffles are legal as they are not the fruiting body, but scletoria with is a kind of hardened mycelium.

Regarding dosing of fresh mushrooms, you need about 10 times as much as dried. Mushrooms are about 90 % water.