• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

I'm uncertain if psychedelics would improve my life or not. Advice?

Shimmerchasm

Greenlighter
Hello!
I am new to BlueLight and to psychedelics but I have done a good amount of research. I'm interested in the therapeutic effects of psychedelics, particularly mushrooms. I'm sort of on a journey right now, trying to figure my life out and let go of destructive thought and behavior patterns. I've recently become more spiritual and I've begun meditating. I would like psychedelics to be part of my journey but I'm not sure if I'm a good candidate because of my past. I'm also confused about something... it is said that certain psychedelics can alleviate depression and anxiety and help people who have had traumatizing experiences, but it's also said that a mentally unstable person should not do psychedelics. That makes no sense to me. Is it only certain specific mental disorders that psychedelics effect? How does it effect clinical depression or anxiety disorder vs bipolar or a personality disorder?

I was clinically depressed as a teenager and I had really bad social anxiety. I've lived through some traumatizing experiences (mostly verbal and emotional abuse from my mother and a man she dated for a long time who was extremely manipulative and probably psychotic). I suspect my mother has a personality disorder and maaaaybe bipolar but I'm not sure. I generally come from a very dysfunctional family and I've cut most of them off, and that's a bit lonely. I still have to deal with some stress from my parents though. EVERYONE in my family is an addict of some sort but I seem to be able to take or leave anything, though tbh I've never even smoked a cigarette. The most I do is have a glass of wine with dinner.
Currently my depression only hits in the winter, and I have almost no social anxiety though I am very introverted. I'm generally a positive person, but I do have a few things to work out. I'm on a very low dose of Zoloft which I will probably be off completely soon. I'm unhappy with my job and living situation. This brings me to my "set and setting" question. How perfect does the setting need to be? I'm comfortable in my bedroom for the most part and I like the yard here, but I am really looking to move to a place I'll be happier. Not bad, but not 100% great either.
I have a responsible trip sitter.
If someone more experiences and knowledgeable could advise me I'd really appreciate it. Would psychedelics potentially help me or am I one of those people who should stay away?

Last edited:
The only person who can know is yourself. I first took mushrooms after a death in the family and I found they were the only thing that helped my grief and depression.

Ismene if it worked for you that is a blessing. Probably will not work for most people but could be worth trying.

Wait a good 30 days after your last Zoloft dose. Mushrooms are relativity safe although can be hard to handle during the experience so having a trip sitter you are comfortable telling everything about yourself to and who will respond and be a supporting and reassuring partner is a must.

While it is smart to start in your room or somewhere you feel safe don't create and restraints. Go where the trip takes you... If you want to go in a hike or jog do it. If you want to sit lotus in your room and meditate do it.... If you want to roll in your bed or get lost in your wallpaper or suffering by all means do what you want to do as long as it doesn't have physical repercussions or things like breaking laws or revealing things you are not ready to.

I find mushrooms block out negative outside issues so I can focus on the inner ones and learn how to overcome them while also being reminded of all the joy and hope I have that originate from this amazing world I have experienced and know I an born from.

Shimmerchasm (cool name btw), it sounds like you're coming from a good place with the right attitude and good background knowledge on psychedelics. Your intentions seem sane, and not ego-driven. I think you should go for it.

I also find it silly that people say that mentally unstable people should not do psychedelics when psychedelics are awesome at treating certain kinds of mental instability. It's a bit of a catch-22, but if you ask me, psychedelics are the best psychiatric medicine I've come across.

From the looks of it you are not one of the people who should stay away.

Hello!
I am new to BlueLight and to psychedelics but I have done a good amount of research. I'm interested in the therapeutic effects of psychedelics, particularly mushrooms. I'm sort of on a journey right now, trying to figure my life out and let go of destructive thought and behavior patterns. I've recently become more spiritual and I've begun meditating. I would like psychedelics to be part of my journey but I'm not sure if I'm a good candidate because of my past.

I think that because you're focusing on improving your life you'll see positive results however you choose to go about it.

Hello!
Would psychedelics potentially help me or am I one of those people who should stay away?

Psychedelics could potentially help you. Mushrooms are a good choice because they're natural and safe. According to wikipedia, "Psilocybin comprises approximately 1% of the weight of Psilocybe cubensis mushrooms, and so nearly 1.7 kilograms (3.7 lb) of dried mushrooms, or 17 kilograms (37 lb) of fresh mushrooms, would be required for a 60-kilogram (130 lb) person to reach the 280 mg/kg LD50 value of rats." I recommend taking low doses (less than a gram) to begin with and then eating more little by little if you want.

DMT helped me deal with grief extremely well, similarly to Ismene I would guess.. (by the way)

But in response to the OP: reading your story I'd say tread with caution. Tripping is likely to complicate your journey and raise at least as many questions as you can hope to find answers. The main reason I warn is because you should be prepared for psychedelics potentially complicating everything more than you can imagine (you can also call it enrich if all goes well), and you may very well discover that it doesn't readily answer questions in a way that solves your problems easily.
So if you do it, start low, don't do it often and keep a clear grip on what you are doing with it, and what impact is has on you.

Taking psychedelics with mental illness is very dependent on the person and the illness. I have a mild/moderate form of autism for which I can compensate extremely well unless I am under stress. Psychedelics happen to be very worthwhile for me now, but initially they sent me into an existential crisis and I went on a journey or quest to define myself all over which took years and was terribly hard to do.

Bipolar disorders, borderline dynamics or schizophrenia are examples of mental illnesses that can be very dangerous to combine with psychedelics, esp. in comparison with some other mental illnesses. Bear in mind this is a generalization.
If your recurrent depression is not very serious, it doesn't have to be a problem but it can be unpredictable whether it would improve anything or be detrimental. If it has a dysthemic factor as underlying cause, it is likely that psychedelics don't have a long-term effect on it either way, that is unless you become destabilized or traumatized for other reasons.

If you are just trying to find out more about yourself and try to get more introspection and clarity about your life, mescaline is the #1 thing I would recommend if anything. Psychedelics are a great tool for self-discovery IF you can manage the risks involved, which are increased and much less predictable with any mental illness in the picture.

As was said we cannot decide for you and will not... I'm not saying: definitely don't do it, I am saying please consider all of this before you proceed, if you decide to.

In response to RhythmSpring's post above mine: psychedelics are facilitators, tools and catalysts and they can be used to achieve great things and benefits... but they can also catalyze very bad developments if you are not careful. The reason to seriously warn when there are mental illnesses involved is firstly because among mental illnesses, some are a much bigger contraindicator for psychedelics than others, and secondly that is not saying that those people have no right to those same potential benefits, but rather that there are additional risks for complications.

And it is an art to use psychedelics responsibly as it is.

Finally I feel I must say that psychedelics often sure can be absolutely magical, and endlessly fascinating, they can help learning to find and understand peace and compassion as well. Just be very aware of the potential risks before fixating too much on any promises you read about.
It could change your life, it has changed mine.

Last edited:
If you're on an SSRI like Zolfot psychedelics have a much lower effect. Also depending on how long you've been taking it even after coming off of it for a long while you can still have diminished effects.

The only thing that can improve your life is you. I know that's a bit trite and obvious, but it's good to remember that psychedelics aren't so much a medicine that you can take to fix your problems, as they are like a vehicle to do what you want with. You can think of them as amplifiers, or literally "mind-expanders". So it's all about what you do with them.

It's like having an airplane: it won't take you to your destination, but if you navigate it correctly, it can be a helpful way of getting there fast. Or you could crash and burn. Maybe that's too extreme an analogy, because with psychedelics you can be very careful, and take very small amounts and not really be running much risk, whereas with an airplane you have to get up to a certain speed before you can take off.

To me you sound like someone who is responsible and careful, and might benefit from experimenting carefully with PDs. They can help with insight and perspective that might be beneficial. Just proceed slowly and carefully. And don't forget to have fun too! It doesn't have to be all serious at all.

Indeed; my most recent trip was so profound because it provided such a complete emotional release that I had the time of my life, and realized I can always be that way, I don't have to keep things inside me that hurt me. There are many paths to personal growth, whether with or without psychedelics; hence, even with psychedelics there are many ways for them to help you, if you work with them and remain as open to the experience as possible.

From a purely analytical basis, I would say that a psychedelic experience has a better chance of altering your life than almost any other single experience I can think of.

See the study I link below for some of the evidence of this phenomenon:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3537171/
Basically, a study at Johns Hopkins showed that a single dose of psylocybin administered to drug-naive participants was able to cause changes in the "openness" trait on personality tests immediately after the experience, 1-2 months after the experience, and 14 months after the experience. In other words, "tripping" can permanently alter your personality.

Now, whether that is a good or a bad thing is up for debate, and also has a lot to do with whether your "trip" is a positive or negative experience. With a trip sitter--who hopefully has some experience with psychedelics him/herself--and with a good attitude about the experience and what you hope to get out of it, I think you can absolutely have an experience that will change your life for the better.

Mushrooms may seem more "magical" or revelatory, but in my experience are less "thoughtful" than LSD. They might lead you to profound emotional conclusions about yourself/your situation that could let you approach life from a new perspective, but they're less likely than LSD to actually help you analyze yourself/your choices and decide what needs changing.

Of course, many many people will disagree with me in this regard, and both kinds of experiences have the potential for positive growth--it just depends what exactly you want to get out of the drug.

I would avoid psychedelic amphetamines for your first trip, and definitely don't take an nBOME. LSD is longer than mushrooms, but "friendlier." Mushrooms have a tendency to invoke fear and paranoia about your surroundings--so a bad trip is more likely. You could consider RC analogues of psilocin (the chemical that psylocybin breaks down into), but otherwise I don't really see any RC psychedelic as being the ideal drug for a first trip.

Personally speaking, I've had an incredibly profound life-changing experience taking Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds (which contain LSA, a relative of LSD). That trip brought me into touch with my emotions, taught me that it was ok to express myself, and created an incredible sense of empathy for my fellow human beings that has lasted far beyond the trip's length itself. It also "cleared away the cobwebs" so to speak, refocusing me on the things that I really cared about and reminding me not to let myself get too distracted by the things which didn't bring me closer to what I valued. In other words, it gave me a new sense of purpose and drive, and an enthusiasm for taking life by the horns, which was very prominent for weeks after the experience--though it has slowly faded with time. I think all of these positive effects are pretty typical of a very positive trip--that is a trip during which you feel as if you've come to new conclusions about yourself or that you've experienced a revelatory new perspective.

All in all, I'd say go for it. Personally, I would recommend LSD if you have access to it, but mushrooms aren't a bad choice (my first trip was on mushrooms). Make sure that you have a proper set and setting, and maybe think a bit in advance about what you'd like to think about/what you'd like to do while tripping. You already mentioned that you have a good trip sitter, which is great. My only other recommendation is that you start with a low dose--don't worry, it will still be magical!

EDIT: Others have mentioned it, but SSRI medications will reduce the effects of hallucinogens. There seems to be a significant amount of variation between individuals, but it's fairly safe to bet that, if you're on an SSRI, you'll have to take at least 150% of the normal dose to achieve equivalent effects. Some people need 2 or 3 times the dose, and some people don't seem to be able to experience much at all, seemingly regardless of dose. All this being said, it's better to start too low than to start too high.

Last edited:
I would like psychedelics to be part of my journey but I'm not sure if I'm a good candidate because of my past.

Be prepared for a psychedelic experience to bring up some of that past. Psychedelics have made me confront some issues, and re-live difficult experiences. It's often mentally challenging, but this is where much of the reward comes from; tackling those issues and ultimately resolving them. Not all psychedelics are therapeutic but mushrooms certainly are.

I'm also confused about something... it is said that certain psychedelics can alleviate depression and anxiety and help people who have had traumatizing experiences, but it's also said that a mentally unstable person should not do psychedelics.?
Yep. If you have psychosis for example, then stay away from psychedelics. Someone suffering from depression may be OK tripping but it depends on the individual. The 'official' stance on psychedelics for therapy is still very much under development; much more work is needed. Wikpedia: Psychedelic therapy - has a few interesting references.

My personal view is that psychedelics are incredibly powerful mind-altering drugs which have the potential to really screw you up. It is therefore, the responsibility of the individual to decide whether or not they are suitable for the psychedelic experience. When we take these things, we take huge risks, and dive into the unknown.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same sentiment as the above. You seem to have the right mindset going in and be more prepared than most by learning on bl. At the end of the day it is subjective though being dependent upon your individual personality. Majority I would say it could only help but im sure you have read of negative experiences as well. I would say go for it and expect nothing. Be thankful if something does and the different perspective your able to see things.

I took mushrooms for the first time in what must have been the absolute worst frame of mind imaginable - chronically depressed and in total despair and greif. They made life worth living again. Still do.

I took lsd about a month after my mother died from cancer.I was worried before the trip that it would
become a nightmare..But i was camping in the woods ,at a music event my friends were all down at the
music .I was at the campsite .At that point i brought the whole subject up to think about..I cried ..i realized
just how much i really loved her and missed her .And how the family was fractured,just my brother myself
and my father who really got together because of her....It was a short period of the trip maby 30 min.But
i def ended with a resolving type of feeling..I was blocking everything out ..and now there it all was to deal with .
I was so happy i took that trip.....If your of strong ,mental well being i think its great to have, once a year or
longer ..Its like a reset button,if that makes sense...........But go with what you think...are you positive reflecting
back on your experience / experiences? Sometimes it takes more than once ...And sometimes the difficult ones are the most rewarding..If not ..it could be time to hang up
the phone...

Last edited:
I agree with you completely snagglepuss, that sometimes the most difficult trips are the most rewarding in the end. I think a lot of people get tripped up (no pun intended) when their trip become frightening or confrontational, and rather than work through it, they panic and try to mask it or deny it. So many people report having long-lasting negative repercussions from difficult trips, and feel traumatized, but I never got that. I mean it's one thing if you have a psychotic break, but there's no need to frame a difficult trip in a negative light. Allow yourself to feel it, work through it without trying to mask it with downers or other drugs, and in the end you should have learned something about yourself. Just like the difficult times in life help to shape us and show us who we really are and what we're really made of, the same is true with trips.

That said, some of my most beautiful and positive trips have also been some of my most rewarding and instructional trips. It takes all kinds, and there are so many ways for psychedelics, and any life experiences, to teach us.

From a purely analytical basis, I would say that a psychedelic experience has a better chance of altering your life than almost any other single experience I can think of.

See the study I link below for some of the evidence of this phenomenon:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3537171/
Basically, a study at Johns Hopkins showed that a single dose of psylocybin administered to drug-naive participants was able to cause changes in the "openness" trait on personality tests immediately after the experience, 1-2 months after the experience, and 14 months after the experience. In other words, "tripping" can permanently alter your personality.

Now, whether that is a good or a bad thing is up for debate, and also has a lot to do with whether your "trip" is a positive or negative experience. With a trip sitter--who hopefully has some experience with psychedelics him/herself--and with a good attitude about the experience and what you hope to get out of it, I think you can absolutely have an experience that will change your life for the better.

Mushrooms may seem more "magical" or revelatory, but in my experience are less "thoughtful" than LSD. They might lead you to profound emotional conclusions about yourself/your situation that could let you approach life from a new perspective, but they're less likely than LSD to actually help you analyze yourself/your choices and decide what needs changing.

Of course, many many people will disagree with me in this regard, and both kinds of experiences have the potential for positive growth--it just depends what exactly you want to get out of the drug.

I would avoid psychedelic amphetamines for your first trip, and definitely don't take an nBOME. LSD is longer than mushrooms, but "friendlier." Mushrooms have a tendency to invoke fear and paranoia about your surroundings--so a bad trip is more likely. You could consider RC analogues of psilocin (the chemical that psylocybin breaks down into), but otherwise I don't really see any RC psychedelic as being the ideal drug for a first trip.

Personally speaking, I've had an incredibly profound life-changing experience taking Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds (which contain LSA, a relative of LSD). That trip brought me into touch with my emotions, taught me that it was ok to express myself, and created an incredible sense of empathy for my fellow human beings that has lasted far beyond the trip's length itself. It also "cleared away the cobwebs" so to speak, refocusing me on the things that I really cared about and reminding me not to let myself get too distracted by the things which didn't bring me closer to what I valued. In other words, it gave me a new sense of purpose and drive, and an enthusiasm for taking life by the horns, which was very prominent for weeks after the experience--though it has slowly faded with time. I think all of these positive effects are pretty typical of a very positive trip--that is a trip during which you feel as if you've come to new conclusions about yourself or that you've experienced a revelatory new perspective.

All in all, I'd say go for it. Personally, I would recommend LSD if you have access to it, but mushrooms aren't a bad choice (my first trip was on mushrooms). Make sure that you have a proper set and setting, and maybe think a bit in advance about what you'd like to think about/what you'd like to do while tripping. You already mentioned that you have a good trip sitter, which is great. My only other recommendation is that you start with a low dose--don't worry, it will still be magical!

EDIT: Others have mentioned it, but SSRI medications will reduce the effects of hallucinogens. There seems to be a significant amount of variation between individuals, but it's fairly safe to bet that, if you're on an SSRI, you'll have to take at least 150% of the normal dose to achieve equivalent effects. Some people need 2 or 3 times the dose, and some people don't seem to be able to experience much at all, seemingly regardless of dose. All this being said, it's better to start too low than to start too high.
You really buy into this stuff about personalities? Personally I don't believe personalities exist. Also, a site for advise on safe use should really not encourage people to do anything.

Hello!
I am new to BlueLight and to psychedelics but I have done a good amount of research. I'm interested in the therapeutic effects of psychedelics, particularly mushrooms. I'm sort of on a journey right now, trying to figure my life out and let go of destructive thought and behavior patterns. I've recently become more spiritual and I've begun meditating. I would like psychedelics to be part of my journey but I'm not sure if I'm a good candidate because of my past. I'm also confused about something... it is said that certain psychedelics can alleviate depression and anxiety and help people who have had traumatizing experiences, but it's also said that a mentally unstable person should not do psychedelics. That makes no sense to me. Is it only certain specific mental disorders that psychedelics effect? How does it effect clinical depression or anxiety disorder vs bipolar or a personality disorder?

I was clinically depressed as a teenager and I had really bad social anxiety. I've lived through some traumatizing experiences (mostly verbal and emotional abuse from my mother and a man she dated for a long time who was extremely manipulative and probably psychotic). I suspect my mother has a personality disorder and maaaaybe bipolar but I'm not sure. I generally come from a very dysfunctional family and I've cut most of them off, and that's a bit lonely. I still have to deal with some stress from my parents though. EVERYONE in my family is an addict of some sort but I seem to be able to take or leave anything, though tbh I've never even smoked a cigarette. The most I do is have a glass of wine with dinner.
Currently my depression only hits in the winter, and I have almost no social anxiety though I am very introverted. I'm generally a positive person, but I do have a few things to work out. I'm on a very low dose of Zoloft which I will probably be off completely soon. I'm unhappy with my job and living situation. This brings me to my "set and setting" question. How perfect does the setting need to be? I'm comfortable in my bedroom for the most part and I like the yard here, but I am really looking to move to a place I'll be happier. Not bad, but not 100% great either.
I have a responsible trip sitter.
If someone more experiences and knowledgeable could advise me I'd really appreciate it. Would psychedelics potentially help me or am I one of those people who should stay away?

It could be just what you need if you go into it not expecting anything concrete to come from it and also doing it responsibly.

Psychedelic experiences can be difficult especially for the un-initiated, and you need to be able to role with the punches as you may find you have bitten off more than you can chew. If there's any doubt about it you probably shouldn't do it.

If you are ready you know you are ready. The best thing to do would be try to find someone who you have a trusting relationship with that is also experienced with psychedelics, as having someone positive and knowledgable guide you through the experience the first time is practically a must.

Don't expect psyches to fix all your problems, but it might help give you a different perspective on them, which is the most you can hope for.

You really buy into this stuff about personalities? Personally I don't believe personalities exist. Also, a site for advise on safe use should really not encourage people to do anything.

I don't understand how you can believe that personalities don't exist. Short of regressing into existential subjectivism--which is all great, but not terribly relevant to this thread--it's fairly clear to me that individuals behave differently from one another. Whether you believe that a "personality test" fully captures the nuances of our neural network is besides the point. If someone consistently gives different answers on a test after an experience than before an experience--and if the theoretical framework regarding "openness" as a measurable trait seems to correspond with the in vitro data about 5ht2a agonism and BDNF and NGF expression--than I would say that we have a good basis to postulate that use of a 5ht2a agonist drug might have long term behavioral impact in relationship to that in-vitro tendency to stimulate BDNF and NGF.

Further, when considering that the theoretical framework justifying the usage of many current antidepressant medications lies in their ability to stimulate BDNF expression, it seems to me that you have a good argument for the exploration of serotonergic hallucinogens for treating depression, OCD, and a variety of other disorders which SSRIs are prescribed for and which research indicates are associated with differences in neurotrophic factors.

Of course, your point is taken about bluelight's mission. It was wrong of me to recommend that the OP use hallucinogens. My conclusion that s/he "should go for it" was based off of my opinion that a positive life-changing experience is possible and/or likely, which in the absence of other factors would normally suggest that it's the best course of action. Given that there are other factors to consider, such as history of mental illness, legal and social consequences, etc. it was wrong of me to make that recommendation when it truth only the individual can make a decision regarding those things.

Last edited: