• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

I'm missing something. Is there a limit to getting high?

xxsicknessxx

Bluelighter
It's there a Max amount of thc mg that after maybe 1000mg you can't get higher? Or do the receptors get full and that's the limit of getting high. I asking because I wonder if I'm vaping wrong. But I'm thinking about it now so maybe you can help me think a little faster because I vape every day almost.

Without actually looking into the scientific reasoning behind it yeah I think there is a limit to how high you can get when regularly using THC.

Back when I would smoke weed daily I would put as much weed in a J as I could afford and it wouldn't seem to make much difference.

TOLERANCE my friend. A break could be very helpful.

It's there a Max amount of thc mg that after maybe 1000mg you can't get higher? Or do the receptors get full and that's the limit of getting high. I asking because I wonder if I'm vaping wrong. But I'm thinking about it now so maybe you can help me think a little faster because I vape every day almost.
When you smoke/vape cannabis, you are not just ingesting THC, but also CBD and other cannabinoids.
Now, THC is the molecule responsible for most of the high, but CBD acts in ways that limits how high you get off THC, and it stays in your body longer than THC.
So the more you vape, the more CBD will accumulate in your body so you won't get as high.
And also, tolerance builds up.
So, if you want to get higher you need to take a tolerance break and buy strains of cannabis with less CBD and more THC.
You could also try to vape at a lower temperature since THC evaporates at 130C and CBD evaporates at 180C.
So vaping at let's say 160C would likely not evaporate any CBD and you will get a stronger but different high.

Last edited:
Unlike alcohol, there is currently no definitive amount of cannabis that defines a standard dose. This means there is no quantifiable low to high-risk amounts on which to base recommendations. The National Institute on Drug Abuse has recently established 5 milligrams of delta-9-THC (the primary psychoactive component and what causes the effects that people most associate with getting “high”) as a standard unit of measurement for which researchers will base studies off. This offers some confidence that we will be able to provide similar guidance for cannabis as we do with alcohol in the near future.

i have a very high tolerance and the limit on how high i can get depends on the strain. some strains for me have a low ceiling meaning can't very high no matter how much i smoke . then other strains doesn't take as much to get to the same level but has a much higher ceiling where if i keep smoking i just get higher. and for me a higher thc% doesn't mean i can get higher from it most of the strains that hit me the best are the lower are in the 18% and under range. i don't see how they can put a number on a dose like 5mg when the effectiveness on strains can vary so widely on how hard they can hit from strain to strain and person to person. un less all weed is processed down to a distillate to where it is just thc and nothing else.

im never sure what anybody is talking about anymore when they say vaping

like a cartridge or vaping flower? are people calling dabs vape now too? :shrug:

When you smoke/vape cannabis, you are not just ingesting THC, but also CBD and other cannabinoids.
Now, THC is the molecule responsible for most of the high, but CBD acts in ways that limits how high you get off THC, and it stays in your body longer than THC.
So the more you vape, the more CBD will accumulate in your body so you won't get as high.
And also, tolerance builds up.
So, if you want to get higher you need to take a tolerance break and buy strains of cannabis with less CBD and more THC.
You could also try to vape at a lower temperature since THC evaporates at 130C and CBD evaporates at 180C.
So vaping at let's say 160C would likely not evaporate any CBD and you will get a stronger but different high.
CBD does reduce THC effects. For myself , mixing CBD with a higher moderate to high index ca seems to be a waste of CBD. That said, when I smoke moderate and or high sativa blends, I have to smoke CBD or the high feels anxious, and negative. I smoke CBD after sativa , back to back instead of mixing them. Even after the first bowl of sativa is done I feel the negative effects.

I realize some people I talk to share this way. And, I realize some people may not CBD with a moderate to high sativa blend. I think it could be possible genetics are involved bc friend seems to be able to take high sativa blends and they seem to effect me way more negativity. Same with his wife, she tends to be able to have more negative side effects with sativas. Just a possible to observation.

Last edited:
I used to buy weed an oz at a time and eventually, regardless of strain, the high diminished as time passed. I learned to buy like two quarters of two different strains and then I'd alternate, like one strain one day and the other the next. It helps to diversify if that's not what you're already doing. YMMV

responding to the OP
the limit is black out or fainting, as in, the time I smoked so much in my cousin's VW in 1973 that when we then went into a chinese restaurant and the wonderful food was on my dish, I suddenly did a face plant into the food.
a few minutes later we were leaving and I was throwing money on the table and floor.
Everything was strobing.

yes you can become inured to it, call it tolerance.

but

I find that even small amounts produce an amazing state of mind with sensuous tactile and visual enhancements if I follow my breathing and try to stay in the moment

less can be more, it is not a straight line of effects for consumption.

I've brought that up around here in the recent past as well. Got crickets.

if you say "vaping" to me, it still means you're vaping flower

I used to buy weed an oz at a time and eventually, regardless of strain, the high diminished as time passed. I learned to buy like two quarters of two different strains and then I'd alternate, like one strain one day and the other the next. It helps to diversify if that's not what you're already doing. YMMV

that's how you do it

@xxsicknessxx what are you vaping, flower or those stupid carts?

CBD does reduce THC effects. For myself , mixing CBD with a higher moderate to high index ca seems to be a waste of CBD. That said, when I smoke moderate and or high sativa blends, I have to smoke CBD or the high feels anxious, and negative. I smoke CBD after sativa , back to back instead of mixing them. Even after the first bowl of sativa is done I feel the negative effects.

I realize some people I talk to share this way. And, I realize some people may not CBD with a moderate to high sativa blend. I think it could be possible genetics are involved bc friend seems to be able to take high sativa blends and they seem to effect me way more negativity. Same with his wife, she tends to be able to have more negative side effects with sativas. Just a possible to observation.
In my experience CBD limits the THC high as well as anxiety and paranoia that it can cause.

In my experience CBD limits the THC high as well as anxiety and paranoia that it can cause.
I only seem to get anxiety and paranoia with high sativas. I found this out through trail and error then a mod here suggested CBD with sativa and it seems to take away the negative.

Moderate to higher indicas seem to work best solo

I used to mix CBD and THC and found it's a waste for me with moderate to higher indica ratios

I only seem to get anxiety and paranoia with high sativas. I found this out through trail and error then a mod here suggested CBD with sativa and it seems to take away the negative.

Moderate to higher indicas seem to work best solo

I used to mix CBD and THC and found it's a waste for me with moderate to higher indica ratios
CBD was useful for me when I was still using cannabis because it allowed me to use any type of weed and get a sleepy relaxing hashish high at night.

CBD was useful for me when I was still using cannabis because it allowed me to use any type of weed and get a sleepy relaxing hashish high at night.
CBN is even better at this, I LOVE CBN

added to any psychoactive cannabinoid and it makes it much more sleepy, relaxing, less anxiety

great for me because I am definitely prone to cannabis anxiety even from indicas

when i hear the term vaping i think of vape pens and carts or the refillable tanks. i never think of vaping weed

when i hear the term vaping i think of vape pens and carts or the refillable tanks. i never think of vaping weed

fwiw, whenever I'm talking about vaping on here it's pretty much exclusively referring to vaping flower/weed.

It gets super confusing sometimes, though, so you'll often see me call it "smoking" or "a session" just to avoid having to explain shit. I'll also refer to a packed oven as a bowlpack for the same reason. I honestly think pens meant for extracts should have their own term just to avoid that confusion, but it is what it is.

vaping should only mean vaping flower

carts and the vape pen are those things that give you a bullshit high...that's what you're smoking - distillate bullshit from trim that you wouldn't even use for anything else...scraps

ya know what it is too right? it's because the tobacco smokers switched to the vape pens and they started calling that vaping, and then the kids who never actually vaped flower started calling the carts "vaping" - it's not vaping tho

vaping is vaping flower

next day after consuming 30mg THC in water soluble drops and 15 mg THC smoked hash
no alcohol or anything else
headache like hangover

the high was fine, a little bumbly, time delay affecting coordination and lots of visuals then itchy eyes then fall asleep. waking with a hangover not so good, so my limit was reached - in the sense that if I go this far it makes me feel sick but brings no more wonder than half the amount.