• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need Help I'm looking for an alternative to alcohol for my anxiety.

I wont be posting on this any more until I talk to my doc I dont take stuff unless its prescribed so this will just be me begging for tramadol because I feel like total shit all of the time.

I second @Snafu in the Void about kratom. Much better than tramadol and easier to access. As far as feeling edgy or dysphoric, that usually happens when you take too high of a dose for you so try a lower dose. I think I read that even 1.5 grams made you edgy but was that 15x? Or leaf? Either way the same thing applies take less. Try half that dose if it’s 15x extract and again same thing if it was the leaf that caused you to feel edgy. Like Snafu said the dose really has to be dialed in but once you find your sweet spot it’s great and it’s cheap. And I’ll also second what he said about making sure you are sourcing it from a reputable vendor and I like to see the lab tests when I purchase it as well. Basically, if you try this route again smart small. For you that may be .5 grams and then increase it by another .5 if you don’t feel the effects and so forth until you get it right. That’s just an example.

I see you will only take prescription stuff and I get that but if you purchase from a reputable vendor that uses a reputable lab for lab tests then it’s pretty safe as long as you aren’t mixing it with other substances that you are not sure of the interaction.

I wont be posting on this any more until I talk to my doc I dont take stuff unless its prescribed so this will just be me begging for tramadol because I feel like total shit all of the time.
I think exploring things with your doctor is your best move. I wouldn't hesitate to bring up the gabapentin as a medication you both explore. I would be really honest with them about the amount you are drinking and all the health issues you are having as you really seem to be in harms way.

Hope your able to figure out how to stop drinking, as its taken out so manny amazing people.

I’m totally with necersickanymore on this.

When I see someone suggesting kratom instead of booze, well good suggestion, but it’s kinda like offering catfish to person ordering chilli. When I think about booze replacements (for dealing with anxiety and social life) ime, I would rank them like this – phenazepam/pregabalin, etizolam/barbital, ghb/gbl. And that’s both from best to worst or from worst to best depending on a way you look on it, I’m sure many understand what I mean. But then again, they ain’t booze, lack in some aspects and are by far better in most other aspects (is that a good thing or a trap, again depends on person and circumstances).

I suspect best booze replacement will be some other alcohol or some ether. I didn’t try other alcohols but drinking diethyl ether (mixed with ice cold water) could be described as etheric booze experience (and is a lot less fiendish than inhaling it). I’m quite sure some other ether would be even better at emulating drunkness. Well, if you think about NMDA and booze, many people tend to drink till they reach state where NMDA is affected too, cuz it’s nice, with ether you reach that with any dose. I didn’t write up diethyl ether as booze replacement cuz high is a lot more, hmm, tripy, than most people would accept when looking for a booze replacement.

Enough of rambling.

I will take supplements and have tried loads i meant I wouldn't take a prescription illegally.

I already use Krave Mangda Kratom when ever i need it for anxiety which is pretty rare but now that im to this point if been taking it more often. I think mines just 1x powder and it works perfect for anxiety I dont even notice any effects just that it takes the edge off of my anxiety. Last night I was trying to go cold turkey and was on the verge of a panic attack so gave up on that. What I did was this...

Mentally I want to stop drinking. I finally reached this mindset.
I drink half cup vodca per drink (5 cups liquid to 1/2 cup vodca) and then I just drank it as slowly as possible. It calmed down my panic attacks for sure.
I ended up having about 2 cups of vodca throughout the night because I was having a hella hard time sleeping.

I think this taper down is my best bet. I just need to fine tune my liquor levels and slowly drink less and less. I have to NEVER over drink because this will just set me back. There is a website that tells you to cut it out 10% at a time so it says you basically get ten days to drink i dont think im ready for that so im going to just minimize intake and then when im ready ill try the 10% thing.

Does anyone know of a pharmaceutical that makes music more interesting? Do you guys even think tramadol will do this? It might be hard to understand what I'm saying... Ok so alcohol helps me to listen to music the same sounds over and over. Without alcohol those sounds really seem to annoy me. It doesnt matter how good the song is I just dont wanna hear it. So That's pretty much all I care about in a pharmacutical at this point is that it helps me to listen to my songs over and over without getting bored. I have a history of ADHD so I might be able to get a little ritallin or something now I know thats gunna make me do it for hours and hours but then the anxiety might come back idk. I don't like the idea of having to start taking friggin zanex. If i get on zanex ill probably never be able to get off of it since my panic attacks are pretty close to the surface most of the time like I got my anxiety in check so I dont wanna try it.

Nothing really that you will enjoy quite like your doc

I use CBD, delta8, CBDv, CBN, CBG for pain management and anxiety. But I'm not a drinker either

Don't trade one problem for another, you have a drinking problem but you want to replace it with pharmaceuticals?

Go for it but if you thought not drinking sucks try going through benzo withdrawal for a year.

I second @Snafu in the Void about kratom. Much better than tramadol and easier to access. As far as feeling edgy or dysphoric, that usually happens when you take too high of a dose for you so try a lower dose. I think I read that even 1.5 grams made you edgy but was that 15x? Or leaf? Either way the same thing applies take less. Try half that dose if it’s 15x extract and again same thing if it was the leaf that caused you to feel edgy. Like Snafu said the dose really has to be dialed in but once you find your sweet spot it’s great and it’s cheap. And I’ll also second what he said about making sure you are sourcing it from a reputable vendor and I like to see the lab tests when I purchase it as well. Basically, if you try this route again smart small. For you that may be .5 grams and then increase it by another .5 if you don’t feel the effects and so forth until you get it right. That’s just an example.

I see you will only take prescription stuff and I get that but if you purchase from a reputable vendor that uses a reputable lab for lab tests then it’s pretty safe as long as you aren’t mixing it with other substances that you are not sure of the interaction.
Yeah, that was me using 15x extract. So a few years ago Id regularly use 1 to 1.5g of it at a time. And I was good. Quite intense. But now I do find that does definitely dysphoric.

These days I'm like 0.75g to 0.8 ish.

It was good product from reputable vendor but I wonder if age of product has had an effect? I did used to buy loads atva time so it's been sat around several years so has maybe degraded over time.

Honestly, these days I prefer the tramadol but it's definitely riskier and not something id want to get hooked on.

When I see someone suggesting kratom instead of booze, well good suggestion, but it’s kinda like offering catfish to person ordering chilli.
I agree other GABAergics are better direct alcohol replacements. But because I'm an alcoholic, I have a different perspective. Benzos and such, even when used in therapeutic doses, always eventually lead to me relapsing on alcohol due to kindling and psychological factors.

I've come to terms with the fact that I must abstain from anything that touches my GABA receptors if I want to get off alcohol.

It’s quite similar in my case. Beside my problems originated with etizolam. And now I’m better of avoiding all GABAerics. I’m finally in a phase were I can drink (quite) responsibly, but it’s much easier to do so when alcohol is not ones favorite. But pregabalin would be a bad choice for me, when I had it, I almost immediately started abusing it, so it would end just as bad with it for me, possibly worse than with benzos. Than barbiturates & GHB/GBL are simply too good for me to be used responsibly, so those stay ok only as rare treat. I don’t have much experience with phenibut (always fucking write phenazepam instead) but it’s a stuff that feels so light and harmless that I’m quite sure it can be a sneaky drug for us who have problems controlling intake of GABAerics.

I would advise you to talk to your Dr about gabapentin as @neversickanymore has said. Gabapentin always gave me motivation (I actually used it for nerve pain and it helped). I’m an ex sound engineer and I did enjoy listening to music on it. Be aware that you develop tolerance fast to it also.

Tramadol is not a great option, it’s an opioid and you will gain tolerance fast. Tramadol lowers your seizure threshold at 400mg, meaning it’s dangerous once you get to that dose and going over it. You’ll reach that pretty fast.

Tramadol also acts like a SNRI, an antidepressant. So when you’ve reached 400mg and you’re getting nothing else from it, you’re not only addicted to an opioid but also a SNRI. Withdrawing from it isn’t nice, abusing it is dangerous.

Unless you really need something for pain, tramadol is not a good option, even for pain I would never suggest someone take tramadol.

I think it would be worth your time to look into some form of therapy, maybe there’s something that’s niggeling at you. Switching one drug for another is not going to work. Maybe you’re just bored with music and need a break from it? Could you switch to stage management or something for a while to give you a break?

well i've been doing good keeping the alcohol to a minimum but now im getting very mad. I think I was drinking to suppress my view and perspective of reality because its starting to come back to me and it sucks. oh well i kinda miss it but i havent needed to keep myself in check for a while and its hard not to say things that might get me in trouble. Like today I said to my mom "Yeah he just shot piss out of his cock!" I was talking about her larger than normal german shepard who had taged the house in a few places while she was away and I was watching them. She was like "what?" I was like "uhhh he just shot piss out of his shlonger" lol she was ok with that but not cock lol. I never say cock around my mom or anyone really it literally never enters my mouth lol that doesnt sound right lol

Is Gabapentin a safer less dependance causing than benzos?
Everyone is different, but some people don't even seem to get a withdrawal from Gabapentin. It really depends how much you take but I've read of people CT'ing from 1800mg or so and they were fine. Others not so much and had withdrawals similar but not exactly in the same league as benzos. You'd have to abuse the shit out of it, or take Pregabalin, it's more bioavailable cousin (therefore much more abusable). The good thing about Gabapentin is its poor bioavailability and how quickly you gain tolerance, meaning abusing it will get you nowhere, really. Even then, it's still doing its job and would still help keep you off the drink.

Otherwise kava is a great alternative to alcohol. Just have to watch out for dry skin after awhile and using some nivea or something.

Low dose dissociatives can work wonders for social and even general anxiety. Like 5-10mg of methoxetamine or deschloroketamine. Feels almost like an opioid but possibly more powerful disinhibition and mellow euphoria without risk of physical addiction. It's such a shame that methoxetamine got outlawed, it was such a wonderful substance.

Gabapentinoids like pregabalin and gabapentin can officially be prescribed against anxiety but they cause such incredibly fast tolerance which renders them useless for me at least. Kratom didn't help me much.

Well I'm actually to the point of asking for methadone... What do you guys think of methadone. My doctors prescribe it for pain it says on the website but yeah... It really sound great for me. All I would wanna do is start out on the minimum dose and see how long that lasts. So I read up on it and it's prescribed off label for anxiety and depression.

Also PS I'm doing so much better after posting here I'm still sipping it as needed only and drinking so much less.

So it would be treating my anxiety, depression, and addiction to alcohol... possibly even allow me to stop smoking marijuana. Also Opioids dont really have a track record of jacking up schizos even more like weed.

I'm thinking methadone might have the potential to save my life from alcohol.

Anything is better than alcohol or benzos.
I know both from studies AND personal experience that those two will increase your anxiety if used over a long period of time.

It becomes a vicious cycle:
stress, drink,
stress, drink,
stress more, drink more,
stress even more, drink even more...
etc, etc....

Anything is better than alcohol or benzos.
I know both from studies AND personal experience that those two will increase your anxiety if used over a long period of time.

It becomes a vicious cycle:
stress, drink,
stress, drink,
stress more, drink more,
stress even more, drink even more...
etc, etc....
Thats certainly the way it works.. people who are chronically treated with opiates are usually chronically in pain and hypersensitive to pain. People who are chronically treated with benzos usually have hyper anxiety. It's awful because the symptoms they originally treated so well are slowly exacerbated by the very medication that previously provided great relief. The way it happens is slow and because the medication still treats the exacerbated symptoms people still believe its working well.

Benzos best mimic the effects of alcohol on your nervous system. Benzos and barbiturates. Valium will likely make you a bit drowsy and Xanax may not be great for creativity but something like Ativan at the onset of an anxiety attack or taking klonapin daily to prevent high anxiety all together would more than likely provide you with enough stress relief, with just enough instant gratification, to substitute the alcohol abuse. I’m alcoholic and personally methamphetamine keeps me off the booze.