Anxiety I'm anxious about upcoming dental work

You have my sympathy. ANY kind of oral pain freaks me the fuck out. Had a couple VERY traumatic experiences in the past with shitty dentists. Sometimes the fear is as bad (or accentuates) the pain itself.
However, the last couple times I had dental work it wasn't so bad. I think they're getting better at it and being more sensitive to patients' needs.

PS-- It is very easy to prevent dry socket. Just follow your doctor's advice diligently. I've had 4 wisdom teeth removed and another 3 bad teeth yanked. Never suffered from dry socket. Just had to be careful for 3 or 4 days.

Maybe the cause or healing process might vary, I was just trying to say the pain of dry socket should be the same per any individual while child birth will be a lot different from person to person.

when i got my wisdom teeth taken out like 22 years ago now the doc gave mee 50 percs but it got infected so i went back and he said fine and gave me 50 demerol. Dentists usually are pretty liberal with pain meds after procedures like that

Dentists usually are pretty liberal with pain meds after procedures like that
Not as liberal as they used to be about take-home meds. BUT if you make it clear that you are scared and extremely sensitive to dental pain they generally give you whatever you need to make the procedure itself as comfortable as possible. My last extraction involved a splintered tooth that took an hour to complete. I just kept saying "it still hurts" and they cranked up the nitrous oxide and shot me up with so much novacain that my entire head was numb. It wasn't exactly pleasant but the whole thing was kinda like a dream and not at all painful.

Not as liberal as they used to be about take-home meds. BUT if you make it clear that you are scared and extremely sensitive to dental pain they generally give you whatever you need to make the procedure itself as comfortable as possible. My last extraction involved a splintered tooth that took an hour to complete. I just kept saying "it still hurts" and they cranked up the nitrous oxide and shot me up with so much novacain that my entire head was numb. It wasn't exactly pleasant but the whole thing was kinda like a dream and not at all painful.

Ya i have really bad dentist fair but because im experienced in ket now nos seems like nothing to me. I wish they just give me fucking midazolam

It's kind of bad timing I got random YT recommendations about that show House right before the surgery, completely out of nowhere. I think this accentuated medical anxiety a bit. I watched this a long time ago and should probably avoid it for the time being, but maybe it could also help me see other people battling in the face of greater suffering even if it's (really good) acting.

Welp tomorrow afternoon. I almost did it again, I've just had terrible dread the past day. Lack of sleep for several nights didn't help, but I'm not backing out. In fact, I think I'm gonna smack myself with DMT tonight, because I think I'm more afraid to do that again after being off it for awhile. Wanted to last night but couldn't get myself to.

Calm down. Placebo effect is a thing and if you're putting all your energy into the procedure fucking up then you're going to sabotage yourself.

From 2019 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6839670/:
"Generally, these surgeries do not encounter difficulties but at times can result in complications; a complication rate of 4.6–30.9% following the extraction of third molars is reported in the literature."

They define complications as those during surgery, and those after. So the statistic gets further divided. This means you have roughly a 2/3 chance that nothing will go wrong. Even if something happens post-op, they will deal with it!

FYI, dry socket is more likely to occur in people with blood clotting problems. The clot in the socket doesn't hold and it falls out, exposing the raw surgery site (nerves, bone root, etc). If you don't have a clotting problem, then your chances are low that dry socket will happen. Nobody I've ever known who got wisdom teeth removed got dry socket, and I work in medical. If you go to Reddit you're going to always find the 1 in 500 person who had a problem. On the internet, you're almost never going to hear from people who had NO PROBLEMS. So you're engaging in selection bias by even reading those stories.

And finally, my personal story. When I was 16 I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed at once when two became impacted and formed abscesses under my gums. The abscesses had to be drained, leaving large open pockets beneath my gums. I got dry socket. My chin was numb on the left side for 6 months because of nerve exposure. I had to irrigate the pockets with saline every time I ate because food would fill them up. I was also in pain, but after about 1 month there was no more pain, I just had annoying sockets. The sockets got smaller and smaller and after 3 months they were gone. The chin numbness also went away. Yes it was a nuisance and yes it was gross, but you deal with it and then move on with your life. The wisdom teeth abscesses were way more painful than the dry socket, I couldn't even close my teeth together without feeling hot pain in my jaw.

Don't fuck with wisdom teeth. Get them removed if they're a problem and be thankful that you have access to the means to do so. You'll heal, life for your mouth will be better, and then you can move on.

Last edited:
Welp tomorrow afternoon. I almost did it again, I've just had terrible dread the past day. Lack of sleep for several nights didn't help, but I'm not backing out. In fact, I think I'm gonna smack myself with DMT tonight, because I think I'm more afraid to do that again after being off it for awhile. Wanted to last night but couldn't get myself to.
You've got this, Bro. Will turn out fine.

I have been taking ibuprofen for awhile for headaches but I don't think it causes clotting issues like aspirin does, and I only take like 600-800mg a day max.

I have been taking ibuprofen for awhile for headaches but I don't think it causes clotting issues like aspirin does, and I only take like 600-800mg a day max.
This a something I would ask the dentist about, just to be safe.

Yeah I will. I guess they prescribe 800mg to people after surgeries pretty often though, sometimes without opioids. I think I'd be getting hydrocodone. Whether I take it or not Idk, I have a bunch of kratom capsules saved up. Still debating on the DMT... I want to do it, because it scares me just as much. Might even like, reset my brain in a sense, snap me out of the fear, though I'm alright now. Once I get stoned it's easy riding though, I won't care at all about tomorrow. I sure as hell am not doing this until I'm more recovered though, or through my nose lol. That shit would burn. I can vape through my nose but I do have some good 40mg edibles.

I will have to at least tell them that a) I use THC, b) I use Valium, c) I use kava (on and off, might do a small bit soon but not sure). Kratom I don't think would be an issue, hell I read of people taking doses before their surgery but I probably shouldn't do that. I also am like, 50% redhead. Most people just think I have brown hair but my facial hair is red in spots, my hair does have some red highlights in the sun and even my eyes are like reddish brown.

Supposedly redheads need more anesthesia. Some study showed redheads need 20% more anesthesia. Since I'm not a full blown ginger fire crotch maybe it'd be like 5%. I don't know, the shit should put me out. If they notice my BP and such changing and I wake up then I'm sure they'll be quick to give me more. My mother actually woke up mid surgery, dark brown hair, but they put her out instantly. That was in like, 1974 though, I'm sure they've advanced this whole procedure more since then.

I went through it, just did the DMT. Holy. Fucking. Shit.... It's been awhile since I've tripped that hard. Not 100% down yet, shapes are extremely defined right now. But the fear of doing DMT is over. The visuals were insane, and I think because I take black seed oil and passionflower, mild MAOIs, it extends the length of the trip. It's been almost 20 minutes and I'm still not down yet. I'm really glad I did this. I was so scared, my heart was pounding. The first 5 second pull was a nice body high, the next few, I was laughing hysterically with the most brilliant, colorful, closed eye visuals I've ever seen. Note to self: keep eyes closed, you can sort of ruin it if you open your eyes. Yeah everything is all distorted and crazy, paisley shapes littered everywhere, but the CEVs are what DMT is really about. At one point after I kept pulling it I realized I hit the ceiling, I'd have to wait another hour to trip again. But the fear of doing it is over. I feel cleansed. I feel less nervous about tomorrow. This worked out way better than I thought

Well this sucks, I have to bite on gauze constantly. At first my gauze was perfect, just on the upper teeth, but the dumbass pulled it all out just so I could swallow advil. Why? I swallowed 6 kratom capsules 3 at a time once I got home. One of the tylenol he gave me got stuck in the holes for fucks sake. I'm never going back here again lol. While loopy from the anesthesia I kind of yelled fuck this place on my way out so I don't think they'd want me back anyway... It didn't last long, because of my red hair gene and use of other drugs, I was 100% lucid by 10 minutes. All my motor skills are fine, hell I could've drove home fine.

If you see the above post I mention having come out of surgery, at least that was about 4h after the surgery. Thanks to the dumbfuck who gave me 3 Advil right afterwards, I'm still bleeding horribly when I should've stopped at least 2h ago. My jaw kills from biting down so much, haven't eaten in 18 hours. I attempted to eat some of a frosty but that was no can do.

I did tell them about anxiety prior to surgery but they weren't willing to give me anything since they figured I'd be out, which I guess is fair. What relaxed me more was the IV saline after not drinking water for so long, I was seriously dying.

Although it's not likely to get dry socket, my OCD is weird and I've actually been sucking in sometimes "just to see what'd happen" (in my demonic OCD thoughts words). I guess it'd take more than just sucking in, like I'm pretty sure even using a straw or smoking wouldn't cause it. I sucked hard enough as if I was hitting a dab pen but you barely have to suck through those.

I can see why it'd be more likely with the lower teeth and why it happens statistically more, they're closer to your mouth and the muscles used most for that kind of stuff. Still, I'm hitting my vape pen through my nose tonight if I wanna get baked, which I probably will. Edibles is probably a better route if I want to K.O myself though.

Yeah dental insurance has sucked for me as well, I turned 29 in December.
2 hours later and the bleeding continues, immense pain in my jaws. I've almost fainted twice from how much blood I've lost and not eating in 24 hours, closer to 36 hours because I had to fast last night and hadn't eaten since afternoon. This really sucks a fat one. Any time I swallow, the most intense sharp pain appears in my upper right which is also bleeding the most. For all I know this shit has dry socket, but it's more likely I was biting down too hard for too long. Just odd how the other side doesn't present this. I guess my left side is my dominant chewing side so maybe I was chewing it hardly without noticing. All I know is I can't clot. They gave me 3 gauze pads, I'm snowed in with a foot of snow, can't get to CVS or any other store that might have gauze, and likely I won't be going anywhere tomorrow because it's still snowing and the dentist will likely be closed. Holy fucking shit could there not be a worse time for record snowfall after a pretty dry season. It's spring for fucks sake.

Seem to be bleeding less now but was all drugged out and then did nose rips and ended up talking to a friend for like an hour, my throat kills from probably gauze scratching up my throat. If anything thc dried me out and made me bleed even less, I went from constant bloody spit to bone dry mouth.

Seem to be bleeding less now but was all drugged out and then did nose rips and ended up talking to a friend for like an hour, my throat kills from probably gauze scratching up my throat. If anything thc dried me out and made me bleed even less, I went from constant bloody spit to bone dry mouth.
You'll hopefully do fine. I have had dry socket every time I've had a tooth pulled and its really not as bad as people make out, sure its sore but its not unbearable by any means and a paracetamol along with some ibuprofen helps enormously.

I also found putting a small drop of clove oil on the gauze that went into the socket helped lots also. Tastes bloody horrible and you shouldn't use more than a small drop but it does numb the area right up.

Take your time, don't suck on straws or smoke and chew with care and I'm sure you won't get dry socket.

I think for most people it's very severe, throbbing pain but I guess it'd depend on the size of it. I think I'm about past the risk, they weren't impacted teeth and I've cut back on bleeding 90%, there's just some swelling left, mostly in the left side i think. My molars only touch on the left and not at all on the right which was a bit concerning, but it also only hurts on my left jaw and where it was removed when I swallow, though I can't really notice much difference in the gaps on each side. I guess the left side bled more yesterday and still has a mildly bloody taste now.

I did accidentally hit my vape through my mouth a bit last night out of habit but I was ok, it's a very light pull, about as light as just breathing in air. Most of it was nose rips lol. I'm fucking exhausted today, didn't fall asleep until nearly 10am and was in and out of it till 6pm. The bleeding didn't really slow down until around 7am when I pulled out the gauze. I realized there was zero chance of me falling asleep like that and I was gross enough to taste some of my "blood" which turned out to be me making iced tea in my mouth... I had to know though.

So drained from the percocet though. I had to take 2 for the pain last night, 1 more to get to bed, woke up and couldn't go back to sleep and took 1 more. I normally take kratom, and it seems that I was getting kratom withdrawals in spite of being on something way stronger. I guess mitragynine is its own thing in the end.

I take eugenol since I know and is only thing that has any sort of magic attribulator.. rest are to be.

i dont say, a diclofenac if your gum is swollen ok

i have a spot in my jaw, so is like a small shark bullet hole and like no reason, nothing is there and is just randomly you know decide to cover the bowl while cooking with water stomping outside. Not to mention I had staph havent went to doc and needled home. Bare hands and got this probably 5 more years for skin to healz think part of my bucal cavity might be drilled there. Is rigjt behind my chin a bit up. Where lower canine are