• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

I wanna do something big.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
Dalai Lama

I am in a similar position, undead - I have found my freedom and I don't know what quite to do with it!

I've gone after jobs that I never thought would be right for me. I got a major hit on one of them, which would take me to a place I have never been. I see no reason not to explore this. I cannot advise you beyond that ambition and drive are qualities I appreciate in people. I hope your adventures take you to where you need to be. :)

I always have this feeling. I want to do something BIG. I don't know what... I don't know how... I don't know who I'll involve. I really, truthfully... don't have a fucking clue.

But I wanna do something big. I want to make a difference. Somehow... somewhere. I feel like I'm bound to do something that will change lives for the better. I feel like every day I'm on the cusp of putting everything together.

Anybody ever feel like this?

dude, you live in a part of the country that is begging for help. you don't need a Katrina to make a difference (although that is pretty big), it's all around you. lately, we've been become a lot more involved with our neighborhood and community, and it's really really worth it. even things small things, like getting permission from a building owner to let a muralist come into our neighborhood and cover up some grey shitty blight. cleaning up dumped trash. working within our community for policies that we believe will help the future of our city. It doesn't feel like much, meeting after meeting after meeting, but then when you see the new park your efforts and time helped build, that's pretty big.

I feel like that when I am manic sometimes- like wanting to create some new technology that is purely fictional, lol
it's really childish of me at times, but if people (practical people, unlike myself) want to do something remarkable, I have found that most of what it takes is time.

I remember reading that as recently as the 1980s it was possible to copyright an idea, just an idea, like flying bubble gum or something. Sadly I couldn't find any information about this or when it fell out of favor. However, I did discover that there is an ongoing debate about the copyrighting of magic tricks...fyi,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_rights_to_magic_methods

dude, you live in a part of the country that is begging for help. you don't need a Katrina to make a difference (although that is pretty big), it's all around you. lately, we've been become a lot more involved with our neighborhood and community, and it's really really worth it. even things small things, like getting permission from a building owner to let a muralist come into our neighborhood and cover up some grey shitty blight. cleaning up dumped trash. working within our community for policies that we believe will help the future of our city. It doesn't feel like much, meeting after meeting after meeting, but then when you see the new park your efforts and time helped build, that's pretty big.

good shit, keni. :)

I feel the same way you do dawg, just wait for it n one day, it'll come

are you sure?

i used to think that you had to go out and find/earn success.

but it turns out if i just wait, it'll come to me!

thankx man! i was worried for a while.

:)

Last edited:
OMG i feel exactly the same OP....Except i want to change a certain law in Australia...ANd I also want to do something huge about bullying!!...I dont want to be rich or famous out of it, i just want to pave the way for others and make something terrible into something to be proud of...The law that i want changed, i will work on this till the day i die!...But i do think i was put here to make a difference in the world...

I also love helping others as a daily thing...Like a mum broken down on the side of the road...I mean shit i aint no mechanic but the other day i stopped and just helped the lady entertain her kids for an hour while she got real help!...

I lent a lady $20 at the train station the other day because she had just then lost her wallet!!We had been talking at the station and got on the train together and she she realised she had left it on the seat 4 stations back....She was traveling to NSW to visit her grandaughter...I only had $22 on me and gave her the $20...she didnt want to take it but i insisted...She has my addy and says she will repay...If she does she does!...SHe had and 18 hr trip without even a coffee....

Once i walked by this woman who was extremely angry and swearing and just a non aproachable type of person..She was at the front of her car fiddling with something...I went on my way and 20 mins later when i returned she was still there...I thought stuff it, if she wants to abuse she can go for it...SO i went up to her and she just glared at me..I said " mate you been here for at least 20 mins, whats up?"..She couldnt get her bonnet open to put water in her car! WTF???It was jammed a bit...So i had her close the bonnet completely (push it down hard), then told her jump in car and lift latch while i see if i can work it out...Well anyway what took me 50 seconds saved her ass...SHe was half hour late leaving for airport!!! She took my ph no and rang me an hour later and said they were calling her name out in the airport over the loud speaker when she walked in the doors!
I am glad i helped her, Alot of people are detached in big cities...Im a small town country girl who lives in a big city, and im always amazed at the lack of compassion i see daily....

Great thread...I am glad im not the only one with grand designs for the future!!

^miss kirsty, pm me which law you want changed and the detail of what's wrong, i'm happy to brainstorm on ways to affect policy with you (it's something i've covered in uni).

^^^^^You are kidding...Thank you thank you soo much!! If you give me a bit of time i will email you the story behind it...I just got shivers down my spine...L2R, im on to it! And Thank you for caring!

“Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day.”

-Sally Koch

^^^ So very true....

Wow i feel like ive just got some instant good karma....And now L2R is doing something nice for me!!!
How cool can this world be?
L2R i am going to pm you now....
I appreciate the thread OP, M.K

I want to change how the government works in the US but it is very hard in its current state. The only thing they listen to is violence, so my generation may have to get violent to get anything changed. Or if more people would pull their heads out of their ass

^^^ So very true....

Wow i feel like ive just got some instant good karma....And now L2R is doing something nice for me!!!
How cool can this world be?
L2R i am going to pm you now....
I appreciate the thread OP, M.K

got it :), i'll contact you probably a bit later tonight.

just a quick note before i read it, to affect public policy it takes a lot of effort, and most likely time too. i'm happy to point you in the right direction, but it's gonna be a hard slog, mate. you also gotta time it right, and be very lucky... unfortunate but it is just the way it is.

even politicians have a hard time at it!

You would be surprised Football (soccer wtf !! ) is actually played in just about every country in the world anyway.

It is the only real global Sport .

^not surprising at all. it's the most evenly balanced and graceful sport there is.

sup, LL!

Dalai Lama

I just LOve the Dalai Lama, WHenever i see him, i just have to smile...I have a huge painting of him in my house...He came to Australia about a year or two ago and didnt even know our Prime minister was a woman...He kept referring to "him"!! It was hilarious and just goes to show just how much he cares about the "world Leaders"...I love his giggle...

^yeah fully.

i actually bumped into him (his entourage) during that last visit. took a pic and waved. .. i couldn't get away with a portrait, my wife is chinese, thinks he represents a despicable people who were classists and slave owners/traders prior to chinese liberation. anyways, that topic is for another thread. .. i think i posted about it in ce&p.

My Dad had a dying process that took a few months. He worried quite a bit that he had done nothing with his life. Nothing big. Nothing that stood out. When word got out that he was terminally ill however, letters started pouring in from people all over the world (he worked in several countries before he retired) who recounted the two most important things about him: his kindness and his impeccable graciousness and manners. I don't think he ever quite saw that this was in fact the "big" thing that he had done. One letter was from a woman that was remembering that he hired her at 19 for her first job. She was nervous and suffering from a lack of self esteem and she remembered how my Dad instantly put her at ease, boosted her confidence (and gave her a job!). She credited him with setting her life on a course that had since taken her to several countries and given her a career that she loved. One act of kindness>large result. There were many letters like this.

In addition to his kindness, my father also loved his children unconditionally. This is different from perfectly. He was human and we all had our struggles, but in the end, he gave us what every person needs to thrive: someone that has faith in you. Because my father did what is simply expected of a parent (love your children unconditionally) he gave three people (his kids) the knowledge and example of what that means. We take that knowledge and put it into practice in our own lives. It does not make the world perfect, it does not save the world instantaneously (indeed, it could not save my own son) but it matters. It improves life.

Kindness and respect, whether in small daily acts or huge sacrifices, are what give meaning to a life. We live in a world that is becoming increasingly disconnected, rude, polarized, self-centered and greedy---and because of our numbers the toll this is taking on each other, other species and the planet can feel overwhelming. It is good to remember that we are healing the world every time we align ourselves with compassion. It is contagious. It can be spread and it is in fact revolutionary to do so.<3