• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I think meth abuse damaged my gut microbiome.

Alright this is something I’ve dove into a fair amount. As someone who had their gut biome annihilated by chemo, I started trying to figure out how to repair it. I was someone that used to drink a kombucha a day but after chemo even a sip had me crying to god to make the pain stop. My friend is a researcher into gut microbiome too so I had some help.

First thing most important. If your gut biome is destroyed do not just start downing probiotics of any kind in hopes of repopulating it. It doesn’t work like that, and can actually be detrimental to your progress.

Don’t consume probiotics but instead focus of prebiotic containing foods and high fiber fruits and veggies. Steadily eat healthy. It took me a couple years but now I can once again eat a yogurt or kombucha without being in immense physical pain.

-GC
This. It's really hard to get enough of the right kind of bacteria to survive the trip to your intestine where they need to be (that's why they do fecal transplants for people with c. diff). Those bacteria are already there, there just aren't enough of them right now. Feed them good stuff so they grow -- fermented foods of all kinds are good, but really avoiding as much processed food and especially processed sugars as you possibly can will go a long way toward rebuilding a healthy biome.

Patience, my friend. Feed your body and your brain good stuff, and they'll heal, in time.

Thanks for the replies, they will help to ensure fixing the microbiome, which maybe is now very well, today I thought if there is a medic test to see how good is the micro biome, I will tell my doctor about what I maybe did for using the meth, and ask him if there is a test to check it out.

I know that olanzapine no cures IBS, but control it amazingly good, one being like if I don't have any IBS at all.

The IBS symptom that I had... it seems like the food was not fully processed in the large intestine, so this food was ending on the colon, giving problems with gases, this was the only problem, no pain, no diarrhea, all this maybe caused by a bad microbiome, so I aimed to bomb with probiotics that system. For now all that problem is gone tanks to the medicine olanzapine that I am taking.

So cottage cheese has casein in it that's why it's ideal and better than yogurt but I myself love Greek Yogurt because it tastes amazing! I personally love the Greek Gods brand honey or honey vanilla but I'm sure that's probably not the healthiest cuz the sugar content maybe but I don't care it tastes good and it's still yogurt lol there are worse options out there
Greek yoghurt 😍

Probiotics, change diet, exercise

Pintoprazole for acid reflux - it sounds unrelated but often it's worth a shot. First time I've ever had regular solid bm s my whole life. Sorry for the graphic details folks but for those of us with ibs or colitis it's just a fact of life.

It's kinda everything when it comes to gut health. Diet, stress, genetics, infection, exercise, but also mood and brain chemistry. Finding that balance is everything. In short you can try everything on this list but if the chemistry is off somewhere symptoms may continue to manifest.

Hope you get some relief sometime. ☺️

The IBS symptom that I had... it seems like the food was not fully processed in the large intestine, so this food was ending on the colon, giving problems with gases, this was the only problem, no pain, no diarrhea, all this maybe caused by a bad microbiome, so I aimed to bomb with probiotics that system. For now all that problem is gone tanks to the medicine olanzapine that I am taking.
Or it could be from the serotonin highs and lows from meth and the clozapine controls the serrotonin. I was once on setraline for a few days and I was on the toilet most of the time.

Last edited:
so - the other option here (and what makes more sense having done a load of amps myself) is not that the gut biome is destroyed per se, but that the lack of food and constant adrenal push just dumps stomach acid into your empty stomach. you could be dealing w lining damage/ulcers etc. some other physical insult not necessarily the biome, or both. id see a gi doctor for sure (and have for similar things)

I still think that the problem was the micro biome in first instance, before taking the lots of probiotics I remember my poop was like foamy all the time, with no shape, I know it depends on the diet, but come on every day it was foamy, and now after bombing with probiotics my poop is a lot more consistent, more normal I could say, without changing the diet, so now I feel more confident thinking that I have correctly solved the problem aiming in the right direction.

Glad you feel better. Kinda random, but were you drinking alcohol at all when you had the issues? There's a gut thing I can't remember the name of right now that causes foamy and also flat (not round) stool and I think it has to do with gut biome if I'm remembering correctly. Probably a different thing if you weren't drinking but I'm just curious

Glad you feel better. Kinda random, but were you drinking alcohol at all when you had the issues? There's a gut thing I can't remember the name of right now that causes foamy and also flat (not round) stool and I think it has to do with gut biome if I'm remembering correctly. Probably a different thing if you weren't drinking but I'm just curious

Thanks, I never drink alcohol, I don't like the taste, my stool now looks good, but maybe it could be better if I stop smoking tobacco. I am posting here today because yesterday I saw on youtube a guy talking about his experience with meth, he said that he got IBS for taking meth orally, I think it does not matter the method, my preferred method was snorting lines of meth powder.

Hi. I was reading something about how meth can damage the gut microbiome, thing that maybe happened to me for using too much of it. One day I found that I had IBS symptoms every day, so one day I decided to continue taking my medicine called olanzapine, which I did not know it could cure the IBS, thing that did so well after the second day. What I did later was to buy the most potent probiotic supplement (300 billions cells) and take it, I got 60 pills, one every day. That was few time ago when I finished taking the probiotics, hoping to have repaired the gut and hoping not to have the IBS symptoms when if for a reason some day I stop taking olanzapine. I have been taking olanzapine, and training myself to not to be depended on it, so maybe I can stop it in the future, and find no IBS symptoms because I supposedly repaired the gut microbiome with the big bomb of probiotics recently taken. English not my best, worked hard, thanks. Dude I really hope that the probiotics worked.
Going a couple prolonged fasts.

Prolonged fasting meaning fasting more than 24 hours but usually meaning a 48-hour fast helps to create a good gut microbiome.