I need to quit Poppy Seed Tea, and I'd really like some advice before I begin

ninjakid

Greenlighter
Hi Gang,

It's time I knock off the Poppy Seed Tea thing. Actually I'd hardly call my recipe "tea". It's usually a death broth of grapefruit juice, water and store-bought lemon juice. Predictably, it tastes horrendous. It has really gotten out of hand for me I think, and before it gets worse I had better cut the shit. I am up to the point where I'm spending too much money on this witches' brew and while I think I'll have difficulty stopping, I have stopped before and survived. But this time I want it to be for good.

I need to formulate a game plan and I'd like any advice about taper plans, or stop schedules or anything else you've found helpful if you've done it. Many many thank you's in advance to anyone who can contribute their experience to this thread.

I am sick of it and I need to stop because:

• I've had issues with opiates in the past, I know the hallmarks of addiction and I do think this is a legal widely available opiate.
  • I don't think I am feeling it anymore, which means my tolerance is way up.
  • I constantly have weird boxes full of bulk poppy seeds in my car, and they spill.
  • I always have a weird pile of lemon juice, grapefruit juice, scoopers and big iced-coffee cups in my car (which I drain the jugs into) that - when put together with a used jug of squashed, wet & spent seed mush - it looks like a crime scene. That spent and mashed down gallon water jug just looks "bad".
  • I usually have my seeds delivered at work, and while it's not cocaine expensive -- it's still expensive
  • I've grown calluses on my hands from shaking the jugs o' water+graperfruit juice that I make.
  • I'm sure the lemon juice I use in my method/formula/death broth is hurting my stomach in some permanent way.
  • The sight and even smell of raw seeds has made me vomit in the past week.
  • Sex is better when I'm not mildly poppy tea high.
  • I am almost always constipated, and/or nauseous.
  • Apart from Amazon and a local bulk place, nobody on Earth knows I do this - I've kept it a secret (I think) for a few years - because it developed over a few years.
  • I think I have a problem.

I tried to stop once before and it went fairly decent. I had to stop because I couldn't bring a 30lb box full of raw seeds to the Caribbean on vacation - nor could I bring pre-made "tea". Or poppy juice, or whatever my brew should be called. Before the vacation I did a fast taper over about a week. When I did this for my vacation, I had a large amount of Gabapentin at the time which helped but it wasn't a 100% easy thing to do. I still had a night or two of sleeplessness, soreness, and I was constantly sneezing. Once I was back in the US, I started right up again. I think I was on the ground for 3 hours and had already ordered a box of seeds to be delivered overnight.

I am just hoping to get a handle on this, and I'd really appreciate anyone's help. I'm documenting my quitting plan, stories and experience and will be contributing it up to this community. In advance of that, I'd love to hear any kind of stories or experiences you've had. Be they long, short, or in between (just like me!).

Thank you,
NK

Last edited:
Hey NK and welcome to BL:D

I would try and acquire some medications to help you with your time in acutes. Tapering and such usually just end up prolonging the misery. Just accept the fact that your going to feal a little rough for a couple of days, but after that your going to be free from the ball and chain of physical dependence. No easy way to jump out of the opiate holes we dig, we have to scramble back out. Its never as bad as we think its going to be.

You got this just make up your mind that your not going to use no matter what, that what you will go through is only temporary and that freedoms on the other side of this tunnel that you will have to pass through at some point.

medications for acute opiate detox

The medications I would explore the use of for detox would be:
NSFW:
>Clonidine< DOSED EVER FOUR HOURS..

one of either
>NEURONTIN< >HERE< >HERE< >here<
OR >Lyrica<
OR >phenibut<

>A BENZO BUT JUST AT NIGHT<
>a nsaid<
>melatonin<
tylenol
Senokot S is a stool softener and laxative. If you do not want the laxative you can go for strait stool softenerDioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate.

(Opi Withdrawal) what is the best comfort meds for opiate w/d?

Your Personal Opiate Withdrawal Arsenal

NSFW:
6a0133f249cfc1970b01b7c6d7486a970b-pi

I was addicted to poppy seed tea for years. Not only is it indeed a real opiate that is legally available, but it's actually my favorite opiate of everything I have tried, which includes heroin. It contains all the alkaloids present in opium, which are mainly morphine, codeine and thebaine. A lot of what you posted I could have said about myself. I went to some really low places because of it. It takes a lot of willpower to quit and stay quit (the staying quit permanently is actually harder than acute withdrawals). I was addicted to various opiates for 10 years and it got worse and worse and harder and harder to stop as time went on, and my withdrawals also got worse and worse. I eventually had to take an ibogaine flood dose which did work for me, fortunately. The sooner you quit, the better.

A base of pregabalin and lofexodine (or clonidine which works in a similar way and is more commonly available in the US) as symptomatic relief worked really well for me when I jumped off a fair dose of subs recently. I used lots of other meds but really those two as a base were doing most of the work and with something at night to use as a sedative it was really quite bearable.

I've done loads of other routes but I found that the best in that you get a really pretty high degree of relief (an amazing amount really) for the speed with which it allows you to detox (as far as I can tell from my experience and anecdotal evidence it stretches it out no more than barebacking it). You just got to be strict with yourself about setting an end date for the symptomatic relief meds and then stick to it. If you don't then abusing them can become an issue. I was a bit lackadaisical with stopping certain meds and had to make a concerted effort to phase them out even though they were 'non-addictive' meds with no real recreational value.

Poppy tea was my favorite opiate as well, even more than heroin. (Although, I prefer pod tea over seed tea). I wasn't able to kick on my own. I tried to taper, I tried to jump off with kratom, I tried to taper with amphetamines. Nothing worked. I ended up in a suboxone program. They had never heard of poppy tea. I haven't touched the stuff in three years- and I thought it'd never end. (My car also had a similar mess- I would make my tea on the go often, with a strainer in my car).

Yeah my car got full of sticky stuff because I used those 64 oz Gatorade bottles for my strainers and liquid... I'd keep all these large plastic glasses in my car and pour half the Gatorade into 2 of them to keep for a second wash, and then I'd use a funnel to pour the seeds in until it was as full as possible... about 2 pounds, a little less. I ended up with poppy seeds covering every square inch of surface in my car and also stuck to the dashboard, etc. Lots of little spills which left sticky sugar coatings. It looked like a druggie war zone.

I am also addicted to it. Pst is pretty much a dirty heroin (same alkaloids just less refined) Im not able to stop even tho it's making me sick. Best wishes good luck on kicking that horrible shit for good!

Actually heroin is heroin, PST doesn't contain any of the same alkaloids. Heroin is diacetylmorphine which is made from morphine but transformed into a different alkaloid (a single one).

Popping by just to say that I dropped my dose and then gradually picked up again and at this point, behind the scenes, the stuff is ruining my life. I'm necromancing this thread in the hopes thay someone smarter than me, and with more willpower, had created that taper plan in the intervening time. Thanks to you all who replied - I really appreciate it.

What made you start up again? Can you start over with that new knowledge? It's never a failure--its a learning curve. Don't let it ruin you or your life.<3

What made you start up again? Can you start over with that new knowledge? It's never a failure--its a learning curve. Don't let it ruin you or your life.<3
The biggest problem for me was that it's available very cheaply from any number of local stores. Noone asks questions because you can use the personal check out. At my local store, they must have had some algorithm running, because over the months and years their poppy seed stock just went up and up. I have my suspicions that this year I may have been personally responsible for wiping out the UK South East's poppy seed supply. It's not usual for one person to get through 10kg+ seeds a week.

Imagine how hard it would be for junkies if they sold heroine legally on the shelves, this is the same thing. My only solution has been to actively avoid the shelves where the seeds are, because I know how poppy eyes work. And I'm terrified of undoing all the hard work I put in the past few months.

OP - I vote that you do taper if possible. Pst wd has the potential to be absolutely horrific, with the added problem that it can last for weeks on end. I've been there so many times it makes me sick to think of it.

What I did this year was taper down to 300g once a day seeds. You'll be amazed once you start to taper how few seeds you actually need. You might get minor wd as you cruise down (say reducing 100g every 4 days), but it should be entirely doable and no big thing. You might find you even get back that buzz after the tea once you get down low.

Personally I can't taper lower than 300g (that number is meaningless I guess, because the seed potency varies so much). At that point, jump off and brace yourself. This year I had an amazingly easy withdrawal, easier than ever before. All I had for comfort was mega dosed loperamide for a few days, mega dose ascorbate for a month, and valerian tea for sleep. If I'm honest I still got aches and pains now, three months later, but it's nothing that can't be dealt with. Just nerve-fry, to be expected after a 10 year habit.

To give an idea how easy it was, I had a mere day and a half off work on days 1 and 2, but I was up and about on day 2 watching movies and looking after the kids. That's previously unheard of in prior withdrawals.

For the record, the seeds I was getting beforehand were quite potent, some of the best I've ever had.

I'd do a taper for a week that's comfortable than 4-5 days of gabapentin or lyrica if u can get ahold of it..I have only had success getting sober off opiates if I had some kind of drug or a subutext for the first week..Shame Kratom is being banned it's perfect for tapering off opiates..the cravings can just be too much with out help..after your clean u need to find support from a friend or trusted person in your life..or maybe just BL..it's not rocket science it just comes down to will power and changing your life around so u can keep your mind off opiates and be proud to be sober

Yeah my car got full of sticky stuff... I ended up with poppy seeds covering every square inch of surface in my car and also stuck to the dashboard, etc. Lots of little spills which left sticky sugar coatings. It looked like a druggie war zone.

HA HA HA!!!! Yep! I make them in my bathroom, I've spilled them down the drain so many times the sink is all clogged up. I've tried to use all kinds of drain liquids but it never works for long. I think i'll have to call a plumber and if I do I'll tell them they're chia seeds from smoothies (that I happen to make in my bathroom???)...lol

what the fuck this thread is tripping me out. I ordered the pods once and got fucked up off them but I never bought the seeds like that. Once i found this chicks bag and it had a bunch of poppy seeds in it and I figured it was for that. Shit I just didnt know you guys were getting so wrecked off that shit. Proably coulda saved me ass in the past :/ Alas thats all behind me now. Right?

Actually heroin is heroin, PST doesn't contain any of the same alkaloids. Heroin is diacetylmorphine which is made from morphine but transformed into a different alkaloid (a single one).

I dunno about that I don't think street heroin is always that refined. Ive had some tar that was a bit of everything to be sure. Pure heroin. Sure.

Last edited:
what the fuck this thread is tripping me out. I ordered the pods once and got fucked up off them but I never bought the seeds like that. Once i found this chicks bag and it had a bunch of poppy seeds in it and I figured it was for that. Shit I just didnt know you guys were getting so wrecked off that shit. Proably coulda saved me ass in the past :/ Alas thats all behind me now. Right?
First you need to get the right seeds, 90% of sources were bunk ime. If you had found the right seeds, they'd fuck your life just like every other powerful opiate. Although I agree, it sounds ridiculous that people can get so messed up on legal baking products.

I am stopping by again just to say that I made the Excel sheet that I was trying to find elsewhere.
Somehow I got it in my head that a person can stop with ONE 5 pound bag from the normal place.
This chart assumes that - even if the subject intakes 2.5lbs today (with Diphenhydramine, with Grapefruit, even with Tagamet), that is fine and dandy but tomorrow, no matter what, it gets cut to less than half a pounfd and stays there for a long time.

For the first week, the subject takes just .35lbs.
At the 1 week mark, that is cut to 1/4lb. Then it is 1/4lb for 1 week
By then, much of the edge should be knocked down. The last 4 days are .15lb (3 days) to .1lb and then nothing.

I'd love some feedback on this schedule. Somehow I got it in my head that a person can quit on 1 5lb bag. Any thoughts are appreciated. Please see below or here http://i.imgur.com/x9aFno7.png.

x9aFno7.png

Last edited:
Some additional information:

- Up front I want to say that for each dose described, I will be using grapefruit juice for every dose and at least 1 or 2 diphenhydramine tablets at each dose. That is partially for anxiety and partially for absorption.

- My "normal" dose is however much I feel like and it is all over the place but it has not "continually increased" except for a few peaks. I take however much is around and factor that against how much is coming in the mail. There have been days where I've taken only .35lbs (or 1 1/4 cups). Most days it has been at least double that though.

- Tomorrow is the beginning of my 2 week taper, I am going to have roughly 1 1/2 - 2 cups today with grapefruit juice and 4 diphenhydramine tabs in about a half hr.

- My method for determining "weights" is lackluster and not a perfect science. I don't have a fancy triple beam scale or anything like that. If anyone has any suggestions about the best scale to buy - a scale that can detect such miniscule weights as a small pile of poppy seeds - I would love to know what you recommend. Without a scale I'm going to be using a conversion table where I just measure the seeds out by volume and go from there. My beginning (but drastically cut) dose of 0.35lbs of poppy seeds (5.6 ounces) or 1 1/4 cups. That is the first week's dose. Every day of the first week, 0.35 (again, 5.6 ounces). I will follow this scale for my measurements:

xQFqXqv.png

Last edited:
Hey, I did a loooooooooooong taper before I quit. I found getting down from high dose ~1kg day to a lowish dose 300g a day was easy. I'd wake up feeling a little antsy but that was cool, because it just meant I enjoyed my morning bowl of poppy-cola (cola is the ultimate for making poppy seed tea, shame it's ruined my teeth after years of taking it).

Anyway, cutting down from 500g to 250g will be achievable with little to no pain in a week or twk. That's when it's going to get problematic. I simply couldn't taper any lower than 200g, so would always jump off at that point.

Hi there'
I'm new and hope you don't mind me joining in and asking some advice ?
I started taking dhc about 10 years ago for chronic pain ... And after a while I noticed I liked them ... A lot !!
I get my weekly script I also get my partners and my friends and still have to resort to buying them on the net .
I take anywhere between 30-60 pills a day depending on how many I have as I have to make sure I have some for the days to come as the wd is horrendous ... I have two kids and a business to run so I cannot go through the wd....
Over the last few days after reading threads on pst and ppt I decided I'd make some ... I bought a big bag of pods off the net and although I feel it's keeping away the wd I don't feel any high or anything off it... It's just making me not be laid up.... I pick my script up tmw and have some delivered on Saturday so I won't wd this week ... However I'm finding it so difficult worrying about one week to the next on how I'm going to function if I don't have my pills .... They don't even get me high anymore they just keep me normal

Any advice would be great ... I'm not enjoying it anymore yet not ready to jump xx