• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

I Nearly Lost My Freedom Because I Couldn’t Pee in a Cup

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Last Week I Nearly Lost My Freedom Because I Couldn’t Pee in a Cup
After 21 years in federal prison for a first-time, nonviolent drug offense, I'm now living in a halfway house. I can go out to work and visit my wife, but I'm sometimes reminded how vulnerable my new life is.

Seth Ferranti | 2/10/14 said:
A few days ago at 6:30 am, just as I was getting ready to go to work, I got called down to the front desk of my halfway house in St. Louis. I have lived here for the past two months since being released from federal prison after doing 21 years of a 25-year mandatory minimum sentence for a drug conspiracy.

“Do you have your ID?” the desk clerk asked me.

It was time for a drug test. One of the conditions of my release to the halfway house is that I’m required to take a breathalyzer every time I return from a work, business, or recreation pass. I’m also tested for drugs once or twice a week.

But so far, every drug test had been a swab test, which is painless and quick—way easier to do than the urine samples I had to submit while incarcerated. But this time, for some reason, they wanted urine.

I have always found it hard to piss on command. Not because I am using drugs—I have been clean and sober since 2002—but because the whole act of pissing in a cup while somebody watches me is uncomfortable. Being somewhat used to it doesn’t make it much easier.

So here I am, first thing in the morning, ready to sign out on a pass and get to work by 8 am. Trouble was, I had just taken my morning piss and didn’t need to use the bathroom. I told the clerk this. He gave me a 12-ounce cup of water and told me to drink it and wait.

He also told me that I couldn’t drink any water besides the one cup he was giving me. I had to sit in the waiting area where he could see me until I was ready to go.

Bureau of Prisons drug-test policy states that “an inmate is presumed to be unwilling” if he or she doesn’t urinate within a two-hour period. In the halfway house, I’m still technically in the custody of the Bureau of Prisons, so their rules apply to me. The urine test procedure is the same as it was in prison—but in prison I had less to lose.

This means that failure to provide a urine sample for the halfway house within two hours would be considered the same as a providing a dirty sample. I would be put on administrative hold at the facility, which would effectively end my new freedom and my job, and could potentially even result in my return to prison.

I was sweating it—even though I haven’t taken so much as an aspirin or Motrin since coming to the halfway house because I don’t want there to be a chance of anything showing up in the tests.

For me, using drugs or alcohol is not an option and not even something I want to do again. I identify as an addict and worked the BOP’s Residential Drug Abuse Program program, although I don’t personally use a 12-step program. I wake up every morning and say I will not use drugs and alcohol today, and that has worked for me for over 10 years. Drug use would only get in the way of the things I wish to accomplish—first off, maintaining my freedom.

As I sat there waiting to provide a urine sample, I thought how embarrassing it would be to have to call my job, working as a courier for a law firm, and tell them I couldn’t come to work because I couldn’t piss in a cup. Then I imagined having to break the news to my wife, who I have finally been able to spend time with after losing so much of our lives together due to my prison sentence. My reality was either piss in the cup before the two hours was up or say goodbye to it all.

I was putting pressure on myself to perform. I wanted to go to work and I wanted my recreation pass later that day to see my wife. But doubt clawed at me. What happened if I couldn’t piss? I was in agony, for real.

Finally at 8:15 am—15 minutes after I was supposed to be at work and 15 minutes before I would have failed the test—I got myself together and provided the sample.

To say I was relieved after an hour and 45 minutes of stress is an understatement. I could go out into the world again. It was like a breath of fresh air.

This is what I am dealing with as I regain my freedom and adjust to the world. I have a six-month term in the halfway house and I am two months into it: January 27, 2015 is my finish date.

I try to stay busy and work as much as possible. The halfway house has a tiered system: I started out at Level One, which means you get no passes. Then after orientation I was moved up to Level Two, which meant I could get passes to search for jobs.

I found a couple of different jobs right away. But when they discovered I was in the halfway house they decided they didn’t want me. I have found that the stigma of being an ex-con just released from prison is real. Being discriminated against is not something I am used to, but I am dealing with it.

But through my friends and family I eventually found two jobs that would take me—a night job as a line cook in a restaurant, as well as the daytime courier job. After a couple of weeks to get the paperwork done, I started working regularly, initially staying at Level Two and only being allowed out of the halfway house to work.

It wasn’t bad. I was out in the world, driving, working and making money. I didn’t get to see my wife very much, but that would soon change. After paying my subsistence fee—handing over 25% of the gross of each of my paychecks to the halfway house—I advanced to Level Three and began getting six-hour recreation passes. This meant I could finally go home and spend time with my wife.

By the end of September I had moved up to Level Four. I should soon be given a pass for my first weekend visit—a chance to go home for the whole weekend. I am looking forward to this because I will be able to spend the night with my wife for the first time in 21 years. Waking up with her and holding her all night seemed like a pipe dream during all those years in prison. Now it is about to be a reality.

Being trusted to go out in the community and work to make a living is really big for me. When I got that first paycheck I was very happy. I took a photo of myself holding the check and posted it on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter (forms of technology that I have just discovered for the first time).

The next step for me will be Level Five, which means home confinement, with attendance at the halfway house required at certain times. I am hoping that that will happen by November 1.

Being here is all about accountability. Passing the drug tests and breathalyzers, being on time to check in, being where I’m supposed to be when I’m supposed to be there, going to my drug treatment aftercare classes twice a week and in general being on good behavior all helps to prove that I belong out in the free world.

Prison already seems like such a long time ago. It is receding into the background and the life I had before I went to prison is starting to come back. It is like my mind is compartmentalizing those 21 years and filing them away.

My past will always be there but I don’t wake up thinking I am in prison. I just can’t wait to go to work in the morning so I can be in the halfway house as little as possible. I don’t associate with the other people in here. I don’t know what they are doing and for real, I don’t care.

I have my wife and my family. I have goals I want to accomplish, things I want to do and learn. New technology is crazy—tablets and smartphones everywhere. I always think people are calling to me but it turns out they are talking on their phones with a Bluetooth. And I don’t even smoke, but when I see that a carton of smokes is like $50 and gas is $3-something, it’s insane. When I got locked up, a carton of smokes was around $8 and gas was around $1.

But other than that, I think I have adapted well so far, even though a lot of people told me I would have a hard time. I am wholeheartedly embracing this adventure. It’s just terrifying how close my inability to piss in a cup came to ending it.

Seth Ferranti has recently been released after serving 21 years in federal prison for a first-time, nonviolent drug offense. Prior to and immediately following his release, he wrote for Substance.com under the pseudonym Christopher Hoss, but now feels able to use his real name. He blogs at gorillaconvict.com and his latest book, Gorilla Convict, is a compilation of his writings about prison gangs, the mafia, hip-hop and hustling.
http://www.substance.com/last-week-i-nearly-lost-my-freedom-because-i-couldnt-pee-in-a-cup/13338/

The state of drug testing in the US as it relates to the criminal justice system, employment, medical care, state assistant and unemployment, childcare, etc. etc., and elsewhere I'm sure, is one of the few things that truly makes me ptfo... the idea that this is or could or may be good for us, or someone?, is even more disgusting. I think that it's even more disgusting than Disneyland, what it is and all it represents - and that really says something considering how vehemently I detest good old Walt and his bloodsucking creations that seem to take on an even more evolved devilish incarnation every year. But I digress...

The state of drug testing in the US as it relates to the criminal justice system, employment, medical care, state assistant and unemployment, childcare, etc. etc., and elsewhere I'm sure, is one of the few things that truly makes me ptfo... the idea that this is or could or may be good for us, or someone?, is even more disgusting. I think that it's even more disgusting than Disneyland, what it is and all it represents - and that really says something considering how vehemently I detest good old Walt and his bloodsucking creations that seem to take on an even more evolved devilish incarnation every year. But I digress...

I agree it's simply disgraceful for a nation which hails itself as "the Land of the Free."

If anything, freedom and safety are both the biggest illusions and lies in America. And that must feel especially true if you're part of a minority group which has been, or is currently bring unjustly used as a scapegoat - a group of people to blame and treat like lesser human beings because some schmuck's quality of life has been inconvenienced.

It's pretty much how the Nazis initially resorted to treating whatever Jews they could get their hands on, before Himmler conjured up his diabolical vision dubbed "the final solution."

Speaking of Himmler and his SS, and how they seized Jewish property - it really reminds me of what the DEA is (and has been) doing by way of exploiting asset forfeiture. Whenever they need some money, they barge into a "suspicious" home and plunder whatever they want.

It's also ironic (and somewhat disturbing) that Mr. Richard 'Crooked' Nixon - who was responsible for the creation of the DEA - was recorded as he ranted about how he blamed the Jews for certain issues apparently affecting American society.

Politically correct fascism - that's what this is. Democracy? What a joke.

I can relate to this guys problem with pissing. I can't go if I am under pressure at all. When I was on probation I would have to sit down on the toilet and force it out while this guy fucking watches me. Good times.

Who benefits from this system? I don't see anyone making any money off a system like this, it's just a lose-lose-lose situation all around.

So fucked.. Who DOESN'T have trouble not only pissing on command, but while someone watches as well?? People just love to treat other people like animals, I just don't get it.

I can't understand why certain non-drug users (e.g., Nixon) will go to such great lengths just to stop me from getting high, and even then, they can't entirely stop me. They see drug use as a 'moral issue,' which is a load of crap. Plus, having never taken an illegal drug, these people don't know what they're missing out on (that is, they are ignorant). Drug use is healthy and normal when done responsibly and is a practice used by mankind for eons in one form or another. We are not about to stop now.

I can not pee on command like that, neither can my girlfriend though she is worse then me. I had probation and for the first meeting I told them i could not go with someone there, i told him "go ahead" when he said he would turn the water on or whatever but that is not going to help. I made that very clear ill flush the toilet and all that stuff but it is not going to help. I got one single drop out after 30 mins and asked if that was enough, which it was not, and they finally allowed me to be alone. I was done in 10 seconds. I asked if they could blood test me or anything literally anything else, i was clean i just can not pee with someone staring at my dick.

They need to fix this system, if my probation was harder i could have violated because i can not pee with a man staring at my dick.

Having to pee in a cup while some man is staring at your dick, whether for probation/parole, to get welfare, to get a job, or because you are living in a halfway house or rehab, is an indignity that no one should be subjected to in the name of this highly unpopular 'War on Drugs.'

Here's a thought, don't get caught. Then you can pee by yourself behind closed door like a little girl

That man did 21 years for LSD. That is just fucked up. Good to see he is out. He was one of those rotting in prison for decades dead heads that everyone seems to have forgotten about. While I think all drugs should be legal there is something extras retarded about treating a large amount of LSD like a large amount of cocaine. This guy was not the same as a cocaine kingpin.
Also interesting he did some Vice like articles about drug smuggling in prison that landed him in the hole.
Sometimes it's hard to pee on command.

Companies that manufacture drug tests.

And at about $80 for a basic UA, on average in these parts, for something that really only costs them about $.10-$1.00 to perform, they make a lot of money. Drug testing firms, and those who own them and their partners in the health care and pharmaceutical and criminal justice and legal systems. They. Make. A. Lot. Of. Money.

Getting caught is the best option. And the best solution? Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Yeah, drug testing has been an active aim backed by the war on drugs to notice and single out folks who use drugs and to strip them of certain freedoms, as well as basic human rights. The policies created tricked down to the treatment centers, jails and institutions just puts more pressure on a person which can backfire on an individual and perpetuate the opposite of what the drug war was intended to do. Testing sets up a contingency as a means to stay clean which is inauthentically controlled. $$
Some will use over the fact that they are up for testing. I have, and have seen it quite often… causing lapses and reasons to get away with using in treatment centers right after the tests take place. Not all clients in centers --but it happens, and ones life revolves around this instead of focusing on an internal motivation for recovery. Testing can instill more fear in an individual, lack of trust, division and further hierarchy in society. People will continue to use no matter what, basically. Punishment. just. doesn't. work. Not to say some stay clean then due to having been tested, choose to stay clean when testing stops… and are happy and functioning in society again. But there is a better way imho

What is better for an individual is conflictual with these tests. They basically don't care. :\ And for health insurance companies... the sicker one is the more they profit. They want people to stay sick… stay on drugs.

Overall it's a totally failed system. This is obvious probably, but I have been on both sides if it and it SUX! It's inhumane! :)

Last edited:
Yet this is in a society which supposedly protects the right to one's own body - in both cases that are controversial and in cases that are not so controversial - such as leaving one's genitals intact if there is no medical reason to fuck with them.
Unfortunately, that protection only really applies to abortion and socially "accepted" drugs like alcohol and tobacco and anything that lines the pockets of pharmaceutical companies.
I've never seen that principle being applied to anything else, except voluntary euthanasia in a select few states.
It's a wonder to behold to me why they haven't legitimized voluntary euthanasia in all states.
Let me ask this question. Why are baby boys still having parts of their genitals sliced off?

If this society supposedly protects the right to one's own body and privacy, wouldn't you presume that mutilating someone's genitals (98% of circumcisions are done without any medical reason) would be absolutely illegal?

What's even more puzzling is fucking dickheads who claim that abortion and circumcision should both be legal choices.
Did you ever forget why abortion was legalized?
It was legalized because you supposedly owned your own body.
And going and mutilating a child's dick...that is depriving someone else of their own body.
Weird isn't it.

I swear to God if I ever saw someone mutilating a child's private parts I would more than likely kill them or beat their insides out (whatever brains they have, I doubt they have much of a brain anyway, they would lose it).
I would just love to watch one of these child mutilators bawling their eyes out after they have had the living shit beaten out of them. I for one would be more than happy to inflict such suffering, even if that makes me a hypocrite. WHO CARES?!

Um, where did that rant come from?

Not that it has anything to do with this thread, but I for one am happy my parent decided to circumcise me.

As the poster above noted:

WHO CARES?!

Not that it has anything to do with this thread, but I for one am happy my parent decided to circumcise me.

Happy that someone decided to take away at least half of your capacity to enjoy sex? Really? You can't be serious, can you?

Because that is what circumcision does. It was adopted by western cultures to "cure" masturbation. It is quite effective in reducing sensation thereby making masturbation less enjoyable, the foreskin contains thousands and thousands of nerve endings.
Anyone who defends this vile disgusting practice must be on drugs, because they are not thinking straight, that's for sure. Either that or they're not even capable of putting any serious thought into this issue - and it's a serious one.

Plenty of muslim women out there who claim they're glad that their parents cut off their clitoris when they were still small.

Just because you don't have a problem with something, doesn't mean it isn't wrong and shouldn't be completely outlawed. Some millionaires don't particularly care if someone steals their 60" flat screen TV, but that doesn't make theft of that TV any less serious. Right?

Because that is what circumcision does. It was adopted by western cultures to "cure" masturbation.

Is this true? I honestly did not know - fascinating.

It is quite effective in reducing sensation thereby making masturbation less enjoyable, the foreskin contains thousands and thousands of nerve endings.
Anyone who defends this vile disgusting practice must be on drugs, because they are not thinking straight, that's for sure. Either that or they're not even capable of putting any serious thought into this issue - and it's a serious one.

Why such animosity?

Is it something personal which has made you feel this way? If I put you on the spot with this question, I apologize, and will understand if you choose not to answer it.

Plenty of muslim women out there who claim they're glad that their parents cut off their clitoris when they were still small.

I always thought it was the other way around - that they were speaking out against it.

Just because you don't have a problem with something, doesn't mean it isn't wrong and shouldn't be completely outlawed. Some millionaires don't particularly care if someone steals their 60" flat screen TV, but that doesn't make theft of that TV any less serious. Right?

Not sure if this is true, but I've read and heard that male circumcision is beneficial in that it somehow reduces the chances of acquiring a sexually transmitted disease.

Also, supposedly, male circumcision is hygienically superior to foreskin, which may be true because smegma is reportedly an issue with non-circumcised males - especially with older age, but I digress.

I'm guessing that males on both sides (foreskin and no foreskin) of this topic of discussion will be split fairly evenly with respect to their opinions on the matter. Some will say that hate the fact that they've been cut, while others will say that they're happy about it. Just the same, some non-cut males will say they wish they were cut, and others will say that they're happy that they are not cut.

Ivan want food now - smell white chocolate macadamia nut cookie.

Last edited:
Is this true? I honestly did not know - fascinating.

It is indeed the truth. They were also mutilating little girls' clitorises as well, around the same time. And this was in the USA, make no mistake about it.
It was to control "excessive" sexual excitement. Or, in other words, nothing more than a barbaric human rights violation.

The reason circumcision was not outlawed when the female version was outlawed is because those outlawing circumcision may have risked offending the Jews.
That is understandable considering the Holocaust, however, that does not change the fact that we're dealing with an outrageous human rights violation.
Genital cutting/mutilation of both genders should be outlawed unless there is serious medical necessity involved. Completely and utterly illegal.

I've read and heard that male circumcision is beneficial in that it somehow reduces the chances of acquiring a sexually transmitted disease.

The foreskin provides immunological functions. This is also well documented.

Also, supposedly, male circumcision is hygienically superior to foreskin.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but those claims were debunked years ago. The foreskin of a baby is literally fused to the glans of the penis, and is that way for a reason. And cleaning oneself is not that hard to do. Would take all of 5 seconds. It takes much longer for one to clean their teeth.

I'm guessing that males on both sides (foreskin and no foreskin) of this topic of discussion will be split fairly evenly with respect to their opinions on the matter.

Precisely. You'll see women who've had their clitorises mutilated claim the same things. Some will think it's OK, others will not.

Fact of the matter is that it's unacceptable to mutilate someone else's genitals and should never be tolerated.

The sad part is that most people do not even realize just how much sensation they have permanently lost to this outrageous practice.

Last edited: