• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

I Like to Draw Pictures of Random Molecules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lorcaserin is apparently a shit experience so I wouldn't really care to pursue it.. :)

I am not sure what you mean by 'similar patterns', but for starters you would have to know exactly how they bind - in what spatial orientation. I have found differences in binding orientation between what appear to be very analogous drugs to be very surprising and that would totally ruin SAR assumptions and hybrids like you are talking about. But, if you do know that they bind in a certain analogous orientation I think hybrids can be fair ideas since the function of groups and their positions have an okay chance of matching.

We're talking hybrids of compounds with at least partially matching activity here. Making hybrids of drug molecules that aren't really in the same category very rarely works because the modifications aren't tolerated by either 'side' which gives you something in the middle which is accepted by none of the receptors. bk-2C-B is one of the rare exceptions and it takes advantage of the fact that within the realm of PEAs there is already an overlap of psychedelics and stimulants. It is another thing to try and find a completely new overlap!

Silicium no never heard of that. @ the MDMA idea: while silicium can bind strongly to oxygen, the methylenedioxy bridge there on the left is a really tricky thing. It is a sort of acetal which are normally unstable but here it is stabilized by conjugation and resonance with the adjacent aromatic ring. I think it has been shown to tolerate very little change like messing with the methylene function. What I am saying is: the silicium doesn't necessarily have to go exactly there in the molecule if you want to make a replacement... it could be a bad idea or there is the off chance that it turns out particularly great. Still: not sure if there is a reason to take such chances.

N-benzyl functions like NBOMe or NBOH can make for pretty selective 5-HT2A agonists when PEAs or very closely related compounds are fit with them, but that seems to be a sort of exception. Even fitting psychedelic tryptamines with them doesn't seem to work and many of those are 5-HT2A agonists too.
I think that means it doesn't bode well for trying to use it for other serotonin receptor subtypes since even for 2A it is so particular. Maybe though there is a way to make adjustments to try and find an analogy for tryptamines that *does* work. It would require investigating how they bind different spatially to the receptor so that you can try to model it. Possibly you can use a similar group meant to bind to the same part of the 2A site, but it may need to be bound differently to tryptamines than would be casually guesstimated, or it may take an extra spacer.

Ooo, I was hoping for a reply :)

I know SARs don't cross categories very well, but isn't Lorcaserin a phenethylamine that's been sort of cyclized? Or does just that small change throw off the SARs?

Ah, I forgot how hard it is to change the MD bridge, someone was telling me about that when I thought of a thio version for MDMA. Perhaps instead of going for the MD, you could change the molecule to have some silabenzene to look for some new change in activity. The reason to take such a chance is discovery ;) although my way of going about it probably isn't the best.

My thought process behind the N-benzyl functions for at least the lorcaserin was the phenethylamine backbone in it, although now I realize the SARs may not be applicable anymore. I know there is a rule for morphines or opioids, something about the spacing of the amine and a few other groups that need to be in specific spots for optimum activity -- is there anything like this for phenethylamines or tryptamines? Is there a good place to go or find a book where I can learn more about SARs, and receptor binding? I'm not too knowledgeable about all of that!

MxXqIFv.png

Did someone say something about hybrids?

Some random molecules, some more and others less serious. Please make the Fencamfamine+Tilidine fusion in the middle and the cannabinoid left on the bottom!
If anyone can say/guess something about the molecules I´d be thankful for a comment :)

edit: what about a fun-thread called "which of those molecules would you take if you were forced to choose one?" ?

gat.png

Last edited:
Some more molecules, I´d be really interested in the Fentanyl and Phenibut analogues & the Isopropylmorphenate analogue of Isopropylphenidate (one of the best stimulants that was banned way too quickly :´/ )
get.png

@Soulfake:

Would that thiophene in your phenibut analog be considered bioisosteric (proper term?) with benzene in the same position?

The one on the bottom right already exists, it is called nicomorphine.. just swap its pyridine rings with the thiophene of that phenibut analogue :)

Yeah I don't know why those rings wouldn't be expected to behave more or less bioisosterically to phenyl rings, but there may be exceptions when there is really very little tolerance for the changes in bond angles and orientation. Here I don't think those aromatic functions actually play a very active role in the pharmacodynamics and more in absorption etc.

Morphenate is the anion of morphine, so you'd have to go with morphenidate or something :D

fun pics

Last edited:
Are bioisosteric groups always bioisosteric? Or are they like SARs where it may change from drug category to drug category? Could a thiophene analog of phenibut, or phenethylamine be guaranteed to have some level of activity (possibly less due to worse binding) or does it not work that way?

By definition, one group cannot be the exact same as another. Bioisosteric groups have [very] similar size and polarity properties to another, but like I said earlier: there will be exceptions. It will vary between drug categories but also within a drug category on various factors.
It will probably become a problem when you try to swap a group that is very critical to receptor binding, one that has multiple interactions with residues on the binding site. Then the variations in size, orientation and polarity / electronegativity can be a problem... basically when the difference between the generally bioisosteric groups in one situation is exactly something the binding depends on. If you change that, you change exactly what is not tolerated.

I don't think I would ever really guarantee with SAR stuff, seems like bad practice. I think you can mostly talk about likelihood, and very likely activity would be when you swap a bioisosteric group like that and computational models show good binding to the same receptor plus the new group is expected to give the same or better bioavailability plus is not known to be really prone to degradation like in the stomach or by hepatic or other enzymes.

Morphenate is the anion of morphine, so you'd have to go with morphenidate or something :D

I read about the Methylmorphenate in the Methylphenidate analogues article at Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_methylphenidate_analogues

Did you mean morphinane?

Some more random molecules, I feel that one of those Tilidine-Fencamfamine/-Phenmetrazine fusions could be a really good substance.
I wonder how that giant Phenibut-ring would be metabolized/hydrolized. The nicotinoyl-Gabapentin could be better absorbed/transported through the BBB similar to nicotinoyl-GABA (Picamilon)
hertz.png

Last edited:
Wow those cyclic polyamide gabapentinoids!

Btw, those looks like some molecules that can break cell membrane to a pore, or some potent ion channel blockers

Sex aphrodisiacs:
(1-Benzofuranyl-2-keto-cyclohexyl)methylamine aka Benzo-FuKCamine (not Fuckamine, Fukcamine!).. inspired by BTCP
2-(1-benzofuran-2-yl)-2-(methylamino)cyclohexan-1-one.png

Well, the fact that Wikipedia has something doesn't make it true. Most likely the name was made up by some RC vendor or an enthusiast got carried away while writing the article. Morphenate is the C3-O(-) anion of morphine.

Yeah of cause, I know you can write wrong stuff in Wikipedia and it will stay there as long as no moderator or other person corrects it. Maybe someone can correct the "Methylmorphenate" into another name that isn´t misleading/wrong (I would do it but I don´t know what the correct name derived from it´s chemical formula would be).

Wow those cyclic polyamide gabapentinoids!

Btw, those looks like some molecules that can break cell membrane to a pore, or some potent ion channel blockers

What do you mean with "break cell membrane to a pore"?

The gabapentinoids are ion (calcium) channel blockers so that would probably be the effect of this stuff too (if it would hydrolyze, if not I guess it would be too bulky to do anything at all. But I guess it isn´t that easy as you would probably see dimers/cyclics/esters etc. of illegal drugs sold as research chemicals at least in countries that don´t have any analogue laws)

And another few random chems

toxc.png

Last edited:
Yeah of cause, I know you can write wrong stuff in Wikipedia and it will stay there as long as no moderator or other person corrects it. Maybe someone can correct the "Methylmorphenate" into another name that isn´t misleading/wrong (I would do it but I don´t know what the correct name derived from it´s chemical formula would be).

The situation with this compound's name is more complicated than I thought. Typically compounds get non-systematic names at a later stage of research when their potential utility is more evident, before that they may have a codename (like PAL-287 for 1-(2-naphthyl)-2-aminopropane), but RC vendors run very rapid testing. Apart from the Wikipedia link to the Pubmed page on this "methylmorphenate", which by the way has no information on it aside from the structure and doesn't name it as "methylmorphenate", there is no information regarding its pharmacological properties in reviewed articles in scientific journals that could be accessed by a quick search using its systematic name. On the other hand Google search reveals quite a lot of results on "methylmorphenate", almost all linking to sites where the compound is marketed or discussed as an RC drug. There is one scientific paper though, very recent, on methylphenidate analogues as RC's and it includes "methylmorphenate". It looks like the compound may have been first synthesized and named by some RC vendor. At this point there is basically nothing we could do to change the name considering the already widespread use of it. Nonetheless, there is no chance that it could be confused with codeine (which could be called methyl morphenate although that would be a very weird name) as it's exclusively discussed with structurally related stimulants.

article access page link

@soulfake,

See "Macrolide" type antibiotic for general mechanism idea I'm talking about, and how they kill bacterial cells.

No-so-random molecules..New RCs: Benzothiocaine...
Now this molecule here:
imgsrv.fcgi

is as close as you would get to c0ciane in terms of pharmacological profile (10-20x more potent!) without the sodium channel blockade-cardiovascular effect (probably has longer half life since no obvious "metabolic handle" to metabolize and get rid of it by the body.. maybe 6hours+..but who knows??) .. It doesnt look like any banned substances tho (may be very very remotely pcp or similar arylcyclohexyl amines like ketamine or maybe BTCP..but it has 0 NMDA dissos effects! zero!). Here is the original paper that described it: edit: oh btw, unlike BTCP which is selective DRI but not NMDA antagonist this one is more balanced SNDRI
nb: why I am posting this? for the sake of harm reduction, at least it won't give you cardiac arrest since it is not cardiac sodium channel blocker afaik . don't ask me how I came up with the name Benzothiocaine, I made it up ..Google won't help you :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.