• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin I didn't get addicted to heroin - Experience report

I think I read a paper once that said somewhere around 25-30% of people who try heroin end up becoming habitual users. So its not like its rare to find somebody who has tried heroin and never got addicted.

If you check pain management advocacy groups it's actually 99%.

But they have their agenda. If you check the DEA it's probably like 75% of people become IV fent users after their 1st tramadol pill.

I don't know what the real truth is.
I used to hear the statistic 4% when I first started taking pain medication pre opioid war recently I saw the stat 8-12% in line with the new fear mongering for opioids.
there are definitely people who have a genetic predisposition or a trauma history or a combination or things that lead to them getting hooked with that first try but it is not to the extent (in my opinion which is worth nothing really) that they are making it out to be now. Opioids are just the drug du jour to put the fear of God in people who don’t know shit about drugs and addiction.

It really sucks because my dr has cut me down to a cruel amount of pain medication and inhumane amount of pain medication when I used to be on tons. He is willing to move me to suboxone no proble but his hands are tied. he could get in trouble! He said.
its fucked up
it’s like torture living in my body and for so many other people

edited to add I’m sure I’m going to die quicker from the amount of abuse I’m putting my body through since losing control of my pain management
lve had elevated liver enzymes from the Nsaid and that never happened on opioids my quality of life is lower I’m unhappy and unable to do many activities I could do when I was properly medicated
they just don’t care
the pharmaceutical companies got to make a killing and then leave the wrong people punished

So true.
See my post (#42) in the thread "does anyone think opiates have other benefits besides pain relief?"
It's a tragic story.
God that was sad. I feel like that’s me, I was able to ride horses and kept my house clean and was working and now I struggle to work out and I am miserable. I feel like I have aged 5yrs in the past year.

“I would prefer finding the underlying issue causing pain in the 1st place” was one snarky comment on that thread of comments
some shit isn’t fixable asshole
I have injuries to my neck and back, arthritis, spinal stenosis and trigmeinal neuralgia
I know what the underlying issues are they are not fixable

the lack of sympathy in that thread was difficult to read it made my blood boil
I hate that type of ignorance
I swear I would be careful flinging around opinions like that because karmas a bitch and you never know one car accident one fall and you can have chronic pain that no one can help you with except suboxone they are throwing that shit around like confetti

God that was sad. I feel like that’s me, I was able to ride horses and kept my house clean and was working and now I struggle to work out and I am miserable. I feel like I have aged 5yrs in the past year.

“I would prefer finding the underlying issue causing pain in the 1st place” was one snarky comment on that thread of comments
some shit isn’t fixable asshole
I have injuries to my neck and back, arthritis, spinal stenosis and trigmeinal neuralgia
I know what the underlying issues are they are not fixable

the lack of sympathy in that thread was difficult to read it made my blood boil
I hate that type of ignorance
I swear I would be careful flinging around opinions like that because karmas a bitch and you never know one car accident one fall and you can have chronic pain that no one can help you with except suboxone they are throwing that shit around like confetti
Get out of this shithole right-wing Christian drug war mongering country and move to central or south America and buy opioids at the pharmacy.

Or get on methadone and destroy your opioid tolerance and get the worst dependency ever. If subs work that's the best solution in the US.

Yeah well the first time I tried morphine (when I was in high school) I was in a sense instantly addicted, at least on a psychological level. The night I first tried it I was quite distressed, and took a mere 15mg, sat down on the couch to watch TV and gradually felt the warmth and relief wash over me. All my concerns melted away. That night I slept like an infant, and when I woke up the next morning there was a sparkle to the day, light took on this different, softer quality, the sun was shining, the sky was blue. I felt restored, renewed, like a 3 year old waking up from a nap. I was instantly addicted. I thought where has this been all of my life?
Yes whether or not a person gets addicted to a substance has everything to do with how well that person responds to a particular substance, and that's down to personality and individual brain chemistry. For instance I love opiates but don't react well AT ALL to stimulants - yet for others stimulants are the greatest shit ever and they can't get get anything out of opiates.

Any problematic issues you have in your life which a drug feels like it gives you relief from also play a huge part - that's to say the more functions a certain drug fulfils for you, the more emotional significance it has, the more likely taking it will come to seem like a need instead of purely a pleasure, and the more likely you are to develop an addiction.
Plus there are non-substance addictions. Basically anyone can potentially get addicted to anything. The factors involved are individual and often manifold, so this idea that you can put X drug into any individual and it will in and of itself 'produce' an addiction, is ludicrous.

Last edited:
If you check pain management advocacy groups it's actually 99%.

But they have their agenda. If you check the DEA it's probably like 75% of people become IV fent users after their 1st tramadol pill.

I don't know what the real truth is.
Got some stats for ya:

In 2015, 97.5 million Americans were taking prescription opioids, of which around 2 million fit the criteria for addiction. (SAMSHA)

At the same time there were 828,000 heroin users, of which 591,000 fit the criteria. (NSDUH)

Given the fact that prescription opioids bind to the exact same receptors as heroin, and that street heroin is often cut so much its actual effect is weaker compared to pharmaceutical grade morphine, why are a whopping 71% of heroin users addicted while only a grand total of 2% of medical patients on prescriptions are?
... The answer is that addiction ISN'T ABOUT THE PHARMACOLOGY OF ANY GIVEN DRUG, IT'S ABOUT THE MOTIVATIONS OF THE USER.

Here's to underline that :
In 1972 a total of 29 kg of heroin was legally prescribed in Britain. "There is a virtual absence of addicts generated by this singular medical practice." (Trebach 1982)

Got some stats for ya:

In 2015, 97.5 million Americans were taking prescription opioids, of which around 2 million fit the criteria for addiction. (SAMSHA)

At the same time there were 828,000 heroin users, of which 591,000 fit the criteria. (NSDUH)

Given the fact that prescription opioids bind to the exact same receptors as heroin, and that street heroin is often cut so much its actual effect is weaker compared to pharmaceutical grade morphine, why are a whopping 71% of heroin users addicted while only a grand total of 2% of medical patients on prescriptions are?
... The answer is that addiction ISN'T ABOUT THE PHARMACOLOGY OF ANY GIVEN DRUG, IT'S ABOUT THE MOTIVATIONS OF THE USER.

Here's to underline that :
In 1972 a total of 29 kg of heroin was legally prescribed in Britain. "There is a virtual absence of addicts generated by this singular medical practice." (Trebach 1982)
I'm going to disagree with the statement that street heroin is weaker than morphine.

But it's semantics because street "heroin" is fentanyl so it is far stronger than morphine including cut.

Now quality afghan real heroin which is almost pure which isn't at the street level normally is going to be more powerful than morphine.

The pharma heroin in Britain....wasn't it used for addicts? So how can we say it didn't cause addiction when it was administered to addicts. I think they use H for chronic pain in Britain too, so there the statement makes sens.

I recently went through 2 months of sporadic to eventual daily H use. It was definitely more than just uncomfortable to stop (had to use pregabalin, valium, loperamide etc) and even now I am only coming up to around day 8 since I used and still not feeling 100%. I've not been hooked on it before but I have with other substances which might have made me more susceptible. You just need to be careful with all drugs but especially H, you might be one of the lucky ones or you might not realise that you have that propensity for addiction before it's too late. I'm not a fool, I knew my increasing use was risky but its seductiveness was too strong. Stay safe.

hello, as I wrote in my other thread I used heroin for extreme pain relief purposes, I took it only by snorting and I never injected. I took overall like a dozen grams through a 2 months period by snorting few mg almost everyday, then I stopped 2 months ago.
The first days after stopping I missed it probably mostly because it eased my pain and I felt like cold before falling asleep, yeah that wasn't nice. If I still had more I'd have taken it of course but it wasn't so tragic and I managed to cut it.
I'll take it again probably because I still have pain and I'm very stressed and it calms my nervous system down like weed doesn't, but yeah that's my experience so far, it's not that if you try few grams you get addicted and can't do without
You get cold before you fall asleep" THIS SOUnds LIKE A FAKE POST TO ME, WD is HELL not you got cold.

I'm going to disagree with the statement that street heroin is weaker than morphine.

But it's semantics because street "heroin" is fentanyl so it is far stronger than morphine including cut.

Now quality afghan real heroin which is almost pure which isn't at the street level normally is going to be more powerful than morphine.

The pharma heroin in Britain....wasn't it used for addicts? So how can we say it didn't cause addiction when it was administered to addicts. I think they use H for chronic pain in Britain too, so there the statement makes sens.
Was it already mostly fent back in 2015 -?

Over here in UK street heroin is mostly still heroinb at least in my little corner. And also often cut to fuck. (Though fent has been creeping in for the past few years.) And like I've bought H here that was so weak I had to do ridiculous amounts to get any effect, while 30 mg of pure morphine in a legit hospital situation knocked my socks off & had me high as a kite for hours on end.
The quote I gave doesn't refer to the practice of maintaining established addicts on diamorphine instead of methadone (known as 'the British system'). It refers to the practice of prescribing it to chronic pain patients in the same way that morphine is still prescribed today, which was also done at the time. Those patients were looking for nothing from the drug except the relief of their physical pain, and only a tiny percentage of them subsequently started to seek out more of it for non - medical reasons.

(Think logically. You wouldn't speak of addicts being or not being CREATED when discussing individuals who were already known as addicts.)

Last edited:
(Think logically. You wouldn't speak of addicts being or not being CREATED when discussing individuals who were already known as addicts.)
No shit that's why I asked you to clarify England's heroin program whether it was for addicts or chronic pain patients.

Enjoy your shitty English street heroin.

Last edited: