• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Hydro supplementing / synergism w/ OTC med Q...

SideWinder_1

Greenlighter
Just tried to call my doc and ask a question, but NO phone chat - probably HIPA regs. Just saw him yesterday, and forgot to ask...

I can't imagine too many med PROFESSIONALS are on boards here, but I hope I'm wrong (and I did 1 year med school before dropping out, and I STUDIED books in grandpa's library as a child (every medical certification imaginable - don't know about MD-PhD tho')

So the nurse will try to communicate my Q to him:

Will Loperamide - an OTC opiod, have a synergistic effect ON Hydrocodone, if taken with Hydro?

In other words, could I take less Hydro, if I took Loperamide simultaneously, and still get the edge taken off of chronic pain, with LESS Hydro's?

I got some good RELATED answers to another question a few years ago, but Loperamide wasn't discussed:
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/741056-Any-others-here-w-Hydrocodone-vs-MS-ER-experience

ANyone?

edit:
Just saw this post, but not QUITE my answer here...
For lessening withdrawals there is Loperamide (doesn't cross the blood brain border), various benzodiazepines and other drugs that provide relief. However, I would recommend just quitting cold turkey, especially since it's codeine and people usually use codeine to help for withdrawals off more potent opioids.

In any case, if you are having horrible W/D symptoms (not sure what your habit is like) then it may be in your interest to slowly ween the dosage until it reaches like 30 mg/daily...then quit cold turkey. Either way, Codeine is just a shitty drug to get addicted to...if you are gonna put in all the effort that comes with a daily opiate addiction, at least use something that will give you a proper nod. But if it works for you then good on ya.

Last edited:
At normal doses it does not really cross the BBB but those who use loperamide to get high or to combat withdrawal take large to mega doses where it almost certainly does. But it can be toxic to your heart too and there have been deaths with it at least partially implicated. I recommend leaving it alone as you didnt even mention how much hydrocodone you use and not sure if it would potentiate it anyway.

No loperamide won't boost the analgesic effects, however dxm, and dph will. Do a quick search entitled "opioid potentiators" or "potentiate opioids". You should come acrossed the information you're seeking. Oh and, sometimes users can be more knowledgeable than doctors, when it comes to the drug realm.

- SS373dOH Soul

I take 22.5 - 30 mg daily, occasionally 40 mg, nothing 6 or 7 times each month randomly.

Funny the 'no drug' days are never milder pain days...

Definitely, high doses of Loperamide will plug you up for awhile. Loperamide taken orally doesn't leave the intestines unless you take a huge dose. Besides what others have suggested on this thread, benzos potentiate but only take a low dose (like 0.5 mg Xanax/klonopin or 5 mg Valium) or you are headed for big trouble. To be honest, you don't really need to use a potentiator unless you need to make your supply stretch. It's not really a better experience than hydro by itself