• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Husband took my prescription?

thegingersoul

Greenlighter
I had back surgery about a year ago and have gotten a script for around 105 Loritab every month ever since. A few months ago I started noticing my pills disappearing. Thought maybe I was just tripping until I actually started counting them every so often. The only person in my house who would be taking them is my husband. Now my monthly prescription has COMPLETELY disappeared, bottle and all. It's a sucky feeling thinking your husband is stealing from you..I've looked everywhere in the house that I would think he may have stashed them but no luck. I'm not trying to call the police on him either. Of course he denies denies denies. I don't know what to do.

I had back surgery about a year ago and have gotten a script for around 105 Loritab every month ever since. A few months ago I started noticing my pills disappearing. Thought maybe I was just tripping until I actually started counting them every so often. The only person in my house who would be taking them is my husband. Now my monthly prescription has COMPLETELY disappeared, bottle and all. It's a sucky feeling thinking your husband is stealing from you..I've looked everywhere in the house that I would think he may have stashed them but no luck. I'm not trying to call the police on him either. Of course he denies denies denies. I don't know what to do.
I'm sorry to hear about this situation you're in.
You need to keep your bottle on you at all times.

This time you may get away with telling the doc you lost it, but if you tell him you lost it too many times he's probably going to flag you as a drug seeker and probably cut you off opioids/opiates.
That would make it basically impossible for you to get them through any doctor ever again.

Also, who else has access to the house?
Could it possibly be someone else, a guest perhaps?

Shitty thing to do, but I also understand why (if he's an addict).
I would just firmly tell him you KNOW he did it and in future keep your script on you (keep the bottle in your pocket, take it in your bag when you leave the house etc).

Not quite the same, but my brother used to steal my cigarettes all the time (I mean like, literal full packs, multiple times a week, not just a couple out of my current pack). I eventually got a lock box to keep them in. I keep my meds in one anyway just because I'm terrified of losing them or having someone take them as the withdrawal is horrendous.
It made me sad more than anything because (unless I literally only had one or two left) I ALWAYS said "yes" when he asked to borrow a couple, so like...why did he even need to steal?

I'm really sorry this is awful.

Does your husband have any past issues with addiction, drugs or alcohol?

Just how many pills are gone? Is there literally nobody else in the house or access to the house at all (house cleaner, land lord, family friends)?

Shitty thing to do, but I also understand why (if he's an addict).
Yeah. Us junkies can't control it.

I have stolen pain pills from my mother, my sister, my father, my aunt, my brother in law and even my fucking cat.

It hurts so much every time... and yet, I cannot stop myself. I hate this disease.

If your husband is stealing pain medicine you are physically dependent on, it’s time to press charges or file a divorce.

I’m sorry you’re dealing with this

I can't say with confidence exactly how many have gone missing in the past as I don't really keep track of what I take nor do I take them every day. He does have a past history of alcoholism but went to treatment and he's been doing great...I dunno maybe he traded one addiction for another. I'd have gladly given him some if he had asked. I'm worried reaching out to my pain management doctor would make me look bad or like a drug seeker. I guess in the future I will take the advice of keeping my prescription on me at all times. Their aren't many people that come and go from my home and I just have a gut feeling that it's him. I feel super betrayed and confused. 😕

I can't say with confidence exactly how many have gone missing in the past as I don't really keep track of what I take nor do I take them every day. He does have a past history of alcoholism but went to treatment and he's been doing great...I dunno maybe he traded one addiction for another. I'd have gladly given him some if he had asked. I'm worried reaching out to my pain management doctor would make me look bad or like a drug seeker. I guess in the future I will take the advice of keeping my prescription on me at all times. Their aren't many people that come and go from my home and I just have a gut feeling that it's him. I feel super betrayed and confused. 😕

I really can't say for sure, but it's likely your husband took them, especially if he has past addiction issues. Most of us are addicts here, and, well, that's what we do. I have stolen pills from all of my family, no matter how wrong it feels. However, did he take ALL of them and leave you with NONE at all? That's a bit different than taking a few here and there.

Does he drink any more to your knowledge? It's very possible he has relapsed and hidden it from you.

Don't tell your pain doctor, this will only complicate things and will make things worse.

We can definitely give you some advice here, we just don't know the full situation and I don't want to speculate more.

Addiction is a power disease that can override everything and makes people hurt the ones they love most. I'm really sorry, but if it was your husband you need to confront him no matter how difficult that is.

In any case, you need to start keeping your pills within sight, I know it sucks and feels paranoid, but the situation calls for it.

If it is your husband, and he knows when you get more pills, he WILL look for them if you put them in a different spot. This is a way to catch him. As an addict, I know how to catch another addict.

Last edited:
I really can't say for sure, but it's likely your husband took them, especially if he has past addiction issues. Most of us are addicts here, and, well, that's what we do. I have stolen pills from all of my family, no matter how wrong it feels. However, did he take ALL of them and leave you with NONE at all? That's a bit different than taking a few here and there.

Does he drink any more to your knowledge? It's very possible he has relapsed and hidden it from you.

Don't tell your pain doctor, this will only complicate things and will make things worse.

We can definitely give you some advice here, we just don't know the full situation and I don't want to speculate more.

Addiction is a power disease that can override everything and makes people hurt the ones they love most. I'm really sorry, but if it was your husband you need to confront him no matter how difficult that is.

In any case, you need to start keeping your pills within sight, I know it sucks and feels paranoid, but the situation calls for it.

If it is your husband, and he knows when you get more pills, he WILL look for them if you put them in a different spot. This is a way to catch him. As an addict, I know how to catch another addict.
I suspect he was dipping in to them occasionally and then one day they were just completely gone out of my medicine cabinet. Oh and another thing was he really tried to tell me that maybe our five year old daughter took them and hid them somewhere. That screamed guilty to me!

As far as I know, he hasn't had a drink in a very long time... I've also wondered if he's relapsed and has just gotten good at hiding it. I haven't seen any behavioral or personality changes in him to suggest he has relapsed but who knows. I supported him unconditionally when he stopped drinking and if he does have a pill problem, I really hope he can properly communicate with me so it can be addressed.

Definitely not going to speak to my doctor about it. The only thing I'm worried about is they will do random UAs and if I get one this month, the medicine probably won't be in my system.

I know we're all strangers here but I very much appreciate you taking the time to reply and give me genuine advice to what I'm dealing with right now... I'm dreading having to confront him head on but I know it's necessary.

Oh and another thing was he really tried to tell me that maybe our five year old daughter took them and hid them somewhere. That screamed guilty to me!
Yeah.... that sounds like exactly the excuse I might make (when nothing else would make sense). It's an excuse that you can't prove or disprove, and also shifts blame.

I've also wondered if he's relapsed and has just gotten good at hiding it.
Yes. People can be exceptionally good at hiding addictions (to a certain point), even from their spouse.

I'm dreading having to confront him head on but I know it's necessary.
I know exactly how you're feeling, I've been in this situation so many times I've lost count. Generally on the other end of things, but I still know how it is on your end.

This isn't an "end or world" situation here, but it is something that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

He likely needs some help right now that he's not willing to admit that he needs - probably because he doesn't want to hurt you or disappoint you or have you think lesser of him.

To be honest, he's hiding it from you because he doesn't want you to be disappointed or think lesser of him.

The key here is to establish what is really going on with him.

Even if you confront him it's possibly he will deny, deny, deny, deny.

Addiction is such hell for EVERYONE involved.

If it progressed from one or two missing pills here and there to him taking the entire bottle and lying about it - this is a huge red flag that he has fully relapsed and it's about to get a lot worse, that he has lost any sort of control he had over it. This is what I'm concerned about in your situation.

I'm an addict. I know addicts. Taking a few pills is one thing, taking the entire bottle is another and is a more dire situation. A few missing pills is deniable. The entire bottle is not, and this is what concerns me. At a certain point in an addict's mind all consequences go out the window and no longer matter, even if you know you will be caught. It's not a small slip-up, it's full blown addiction at that point.

I don't want to completely write-off your husband. I'm speculating here. But If I had to bet, yeah, I think we know what's going on here.

I wish you the best of luck, I need to go to sleep.

Last edited:
Man that suck, if you are out of pills and need an opiate for pain I would suggest poppy pods, can order them legally and better than norco imo

He definitely sounds guilty but for me I know I’ve accused a best friend of stealing my sunglasses only to find them behind some furniture years later.

I ended that friendship at that point, called him a liar and a thief, and I was wrong.

Don’t be wrong. Make sure it’s him. Drug test him, threaten him with legal action.

I’m a drug addict to and if my wife or mom, etc needed OxyContin I would mark that as off limits. There’s a line even for a junkie, and if he took it, he crossed it and betrayed your trust.

On the other hand, I’ve made a lotta mistakes and we are only human, so maybe try the lover approach. Be gentle. But if he still lies and you have proof (hidden camera set up or something) then you fucking drill him to the wall

Like negontropic said its probably your husband would like to say it is a shitty thing to do but as an addict i stole my friend's tramadol before

Yes, Opioids tend to make a mockery of human decency and conviction. Like you said, this seems to be an open and shut case. If there was nobody else in your house, then I think you've found the culprit. You're going to have to have a pretty serious talk about the state of things in your household before the copper disappears from inside the walls. We all have choices in life and you could argue that your husband has broken your trust in a pretty serious way that will be hard to forgive. You can possibly feel either much better or much, much worse knowing that Opioid users are automotons until they get well. They'll rob pills from their grandma if that's what it takes in that particular instance. If you don't fix the problem, shit can get bad very fast.

I suspect he was dipping in to them occasionally and then one day they were just completely gone out of my medicine cabinet. Oh and another thing was he really tried to tell me that maybe our five year old daughter took them and hid them somewhere. That screamed guilty to me!
Blame shifting is part of the deal in my personal experience.
A very very close friend of mine started stealing from me as he got into addiction, the way he would do it was to steal when there were several people over at my house so obviously we didn't suspect him at first, we thought it was one of the others.
But eventually me and other people in my inner circle had a talk and realised that it was only when he was also there that things were missing, and that realistically he was the only one that knew where to find them.
And to top it off, in some of those instances he was also complaining that he was missing something.

It's painful, but an addict will use your trust against you.

i feel for you, especially that you supported him during alcohol addiction so loyally. making yah worry that your child took or stashed the,, thats some crazy making chit, you even gotta stress pain and worry for UA, shoot i even stole my own pills and felt guilt, no joke, i hope things go smoother soon as they can get, Blighters sure give some great advice. please stay in contact

Last edited:

As far as I know, he hasn't had a drink in a very long time... I've also wondered if he's relapsed and has just gotten good at hiding it. I haven't seen any behavioral or personality changes in him to suggest he has relapsed but who knows. I supported him unconditionally when he stopped drinking and if he does have a pill problem, I really hope he can properly communicate with me so it can be addressed.

Definitely not going to speak to my doctor about it. The only thing I'm worried about is they will do random UAs and if I get one this month, the medicine probably won't be in my system.

I know we're all strangers here but I very much appreciate you taking the time to reply and give me genuine advice to what I'm dealing with right now... I'm dreading having to confront him head on but I know it's necessary.

You might consider buying a urinalysis type drug testing kit from amazon or the drug store and ask him to take the test. One would think that if it isn't him he'd be glad to take the test.

Alternatively (and at greater expense), if you wanted to go about it surreptitiously you could collect some of his hair and send it in for drug testing.

I'll echo what others have said here, unfortunately it is very likely your husband that is doing it. If it was a one-time thing, it could have been someone who maybe you had at your house once. But if it has been happening steadily here and there, there is practically no other explanation. One thing I'll say is, it doesn't mean he relapsed on alcohol. Opioids are much easier to hide because unlike alcohol, where you reek and become stupid, opiates don't really change your demeanor or behavior that much, at least until you get really, really deep in (I mean other than doing shitty things like stealing and lying).

Probably the worst thing I've ever done was one time when I was visiting my ex father in law, who was prescribed oxycontin for pain from congestive heart failure, I took his entire bottle, a few pills at a time over 2 weeks. I replaced them with tylenol pills that looked really similar. I justified it to myself because he said he much preferred hydrocodone and I didn't touch that, and he could get a refill whenever he wanted (this was a different time when opioid prescriptions weren't so tightly controlled). Never knew if he knew. I felt horrible but I was (am) an addict and that was during my worst period of addiction. I am a good person and I am (and was at the time) very ashamed of that action, but there it is. Addiction turns people into monsters in small and/or large ways.

Always look at their pupils. My daddy would catch me everytime just by looking into my eyes. Hed say my eyes looked like two cherries in a glass of buttermilk