• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How would it change the world if everyone was required to trip once a year?

I find it a lot easier to imagine a society where tripping once a year is a norm, rather than a requirement.

I really think the world would be a better place overall. I think we would treat the planet and each other more respectfully, and live more fulfilling lives. The human species would have a clearer vision of where to go. We'd probably colonize space sooner :)

Or maybe we'd just become a bunch of freakin dirty hippies, living in failed utopic squalor on communes or something.

edit: there are places in the world where there are big chunks of the demographic for whom tripping once a year (or so) is pretty much the norm. I'm thinking about the bay area, but there are probably also indigenous/first nations tribes who live like this, and surely other modern societies outside of the bay as well.

They would create a television show where instead of boring tales of celebrities tracking down their lost ancestors history, we would watch a world leader dance on a dancefloor or a celebrity chef go to town with cheese and bacon bits.

You'd have a lot of people being traumatized by a drug experience they aren't ready for and/or don't want.

Well, it depends on how far you went with it.

Time for your yearly trip, do not want to participate, death. Cleaning up the gene pool ya know.

I dont think you can FORCE people to do anything and have ot end up positive in the long run. It would be better for the world if people were allowed to evolve and progress at their own pace, usuing whatever drugs they want.

Unfortunatly it seems the people at the lower end of the evolutionary spectrum get to make all the rules. Perhaps dosing everyone and then killing/exiling(lets be honest this wont work so death it is) all the dissenters is the lesser of evils? Or perhaps the greatest.

There seems to be a widespread hope among some psychedelic enthusiasts that "if only everyone took psychedelics, they'd all have the same philosophical, empathic epiphanies that I had from them". Sorry, but there are plenty of arseholes and totally dysfunctional people who've used psychedelics, so it's obviously not that simple. The idea that psychedelics have this universal, magical therapeutic property independent of the social/cultural/historic context in which they're taken, and independent of the personality and biological characteristics of the person taking them, and their personal history, relationships with other people, reasons for taking psychedelics, etc., is juvenile idealism. If you're hoping such a tradition might make some of the capitalist parasites and authoritarian scumbags realise that they should be nicer, well maybe it would for some of them - others would just become even more megalomaniacal and more creative at being scumbags and parasites. Dosing everyone with psychedelics isn't a shortcut to creating a more just society, but I do think that if we achieved a more just society, then in that context, widespread ritualised use of psychedelics, like you suggest, could have benefits, but I don't like the idea of "requiring" it.

Last edited:
It would improve the world, because most people are already good people by default. Good enough that psychedelics will cause a variable degree of improvement, I mean.

You'd have a lot of people being traumatized by a drug experience they aren't ready for and/or don't want.

That definitely would not be the case with MDMA though. It does the complete opposite of traumatize, actually.

If you're hoping such a tradition might make some of the capitalist parasites and authoritarian scumbags realise that they should be nicer, well maybe it would for some of them - others would just become even more megalomaniacal and more creative at being scumbags and parasites.

Steve Jobs is a good example of what you're talking about here.

Clocktower:

But isn't it equally immorral to cage people like animals for taking psychs as forcing people to take them would be?

Freedom to take or not to take would be ideal....but even if it were legal....I don't think there would be much difference in exposure due to religious influencing defining psych use as fundamentally wrong ...like murder or stealing.

Granted with prohibition u only victimize those that choose to take psychs...while with mandatory use more people would probably behaving something Imposed on them that that disapprove of....it's a matter of degree I guess

Steve Jobs is a good example of what you're talking about here.

My thoughts exactly...I've also personally known borderline sociopaths who loved eating acid, psychedelics don't change people they just help us expand who we truly are, help us connect to our true selves more easily/consistently...

When I was still in the "honeymoon" phase of psychedelic use a few years ago I had a similarly idealistic/utopian outlook to the OP, but living in the real world changed that as did gaining more experience/understanding of the psychedelics & myself

When I was still in the "honeymoon" phase of psychedelic use a few years ago I had a similarly idealistic/utopian outlook to the OP,f

Not sure where I said it would be a ideal outlook for the world if everyone took them. Youre putting words in my mouth. I just asked what would happen, it doesn't mean Kim Jong un psychotic on acid wouldn't nuke the entire world and end it

Whatever changes the forced psychedelic use would have on society would probably be different with each culture

I think in a perfect situation where everyone was open to it.... It would be a world changing thing. Some bad would come of it sure, but in the end I believe it would change us for the better.

It'd be no different than what we have now in way, but instead of "having" to trip or face the consequences, now we have "if" you trip you face the consequences. So, I'd imagine, that the non-trippers would like that as much as we like the current norm.
To each his own.
Consequently, if we were all "allowed" to trip at least once a year w/out any repercussions then far more people who wanted to trip would and the world would, undoubtedly, be better off because of it.

I doubt the world would be any different really. I'd like to think I make me, not the hallucinogens.

Although there might be more blacklights.

How would it change the world if everyone was required to trip once a year?

Whats up, I made an account to respond to this thread! First post!

here goes. Tripping to me is sort of like when you listen to yourself on a voicemail or a recording and most people say, "hey that's what I sound like !?!" But, personally, I used to do a lot of music stuff so I heard my voice a lot so I never really was surprised by hearing myself.

When people trip it's the same idea but mentally. They've been forced through their thoughts from an outside point of view so they are more aware of what it seems like. This tends to be positive. For example, people thinking "wow, this thought is annoying or a way I was behaving was bad," so they no longer do that and function better.

It was a requirement, from my understanding, that in Ancient Greece, each person take a psychedelic before political events.

I think the world would be more positive, but far from a utopia. Some of the biggest scumbags I've known male and female have tripped a lot. Tripping can give certain people time to think amplified by a hundred of how to screw someone over or commit a crime or whatever. But at the same time they'd probably be more hesitant to follow through with it.

I just think you'd have more self-actualized people. But going on vacations or big life events build character and show you your place just like tripping.

What is possible is that we'd as a society know more about everything. An enhanced look in each field; especially medicine and psychology.

My thoughts exactly...I've also personally known borderline sociopaths who loved eating acid, psychedelics don't change people they just help us expand who we truly are, help us connect to our true selves more easily/consistently...

When I was still in the "honeymoon" phase of psychedelic use a few years ago I had a similarly idealistic/utopian outlook to the OP, but living in the real world changed that as did gaining more experience/understanding of the psychedelics & myself

What about NASA in the sixties?