• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

how to safely take benzos without developing withdrawals or tolerance?

g_dan1

Bluelighter
Hi everyone,
I've been taking small doses of benzos on and off for the last 6-7 months. I usually take 1mg xanax or klonopin, or 1-2mg etizolam. I use xanax the most and klonopin the least. etizolam is almost the same as xanax for me but feels even better for some reason
I only use them before anxious situations, adderall/ritalin comedowns, and occasionally to relax after a stressful day.

I try to take them 2-3 days a week max, with days in between doses. So far I haven't noticed any withdrawals or dependance.

I want to ask some of the more experienced benzo users about tolerance and dependance.

How many times per week can I take low doses(1mg) of xanax or klonopin without increasing my tolerance or risking any withdrawals? Is 2-3 times per week fine? I don't necessarily take them every week religiously, but I want to know what would happen IF i did?
I know about benzo withdrawals very well and how addictive they are. This is why I want to take my use to minimum. I want to be able to use them occasionally recreationally, for anxiety, and for comedown without having any risks or taking higher doses. I'm starting a journal to monitor my benzo use and keep it to 2-3 times a week max. I know, the lesser the better.
I find benzos ESPECIALLY helpful and enjoyable on an adderall/ritalin comedown. I've been using adderall alot more lately and in higher doses due to huge workload and exams. I try to use natural comedown remedies to go to sleep, but sometimes i just cant resist a nice benzo "comedown turnoff button"

Any responses would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Thank you very much!

As a user myself I'd say once or twice a week is fine. Also note that xanax wears off quickly and hits harder so is more addictive, clonazepam/klonopin lasts 4-8 hours and has no "come down" it's still addictive but less so, but take this analogy, an alcoholic drinks daily, a responsible drinker drinks on weekends (not the best analogy but you get the idea). So yeah, as long as you stick to twice a week and don't exceed that regularly, and don't up the dose, you will experience virtually no addiction or withdrawal if, not none. also try other anxiety treatments that don't involve drugs if that helps you. :)

I never go past the 3 day rule if im trying to avoid withdrawals from any substances , meaning never dose more than 3 days in a row. Everyones body is different so its just what i go by.

Yes thats true, everyones body is different. Im just interested to see what worked for others to help me regulate my use.
So you guys think 1mg xanax (at most 2mg) 2-3 times a week wont produce and tolerance or withdrawals? or at least wont produce tolerance fast?

It also depends how long you've been taking them, both long and short term. Not many people manage to take them sustainably over extended periods of time.

One thing I'd suggest is; don't buy large amounts.

Tolerance, for me anyway raises pretty quickly where Xanax is concerned. I don't know why this is but yeah, everyone's different. I think you would be okay with keeping your doses low and infrequent. Try even one time a week would be even better.

Tolerance, for me anyway raises pretty quickly where Xanax is concerned. I don't know why this is but yeah, everyone's different. I think you would be okay with keeping your doses low and infrequent. Try even one time a week would be even better.

So way I can keep getting the same relaxing and even recreational effects over long periods of time? I REALLY want to keep my tolerance how it is now and now make it go up so i can keep enjoying those low doses

I just took 1mg klonopin3 hours ago, during the comedown from 50mg adderall + 20 mg ritalin. I feel soooo relaxed and even euphoric in some sense. Any tension or side effects from the comedown disappeared completely, leaving me in total care-free bliss:) I am in no way impaired, but my mind and body and in complete relaxation. I dont wanna lose this kind of feeling from benzos so i'll be dosing 2 times a week max. (3 in extreme cases such as adderall insomnia).

Basically I can just treat it like going out and drinking on weekends? Alot of people go out on fridays, saturdays and get drunk with their friends, yet they are not alcoholics and don't get any withdrawals.

So way I can keep getting the same relaxing and even recreational effects over long periods of time? I REALLY want to keep my tolerance how it is now and now make it go up so i can keep enjoying those low doses

Even just dosing once a week will still build somewhat of a tolerance but it won't be that noticeable. I've read many times that your body builds a tolerance to the sedating, hypnotic effects of benzos first while still keeping most of the anxiolytic effects intact. This is where people go wrong, since they develop a tolerance to the sedating/hypnotic effects they think it's not working anymore so they start taking huge doses and addiction develops.

A real answer to this question is going to be pretty elusive, but I can tell you that, for what it's worth, managing to go entire days without using them puts you in a pretty good spot, compared to somebody who maintains constant levels. Monitor yourself closely. If you start bridging the gap in between days or using heavier dosages, do yourself a favor and don't lie to yourself about it. There are no "just this time"s. In life, there are none. It's a conscious decision and if one is willing to cross a line of any kind, they are typically more willing to cross said line at a later time.

When I first started using in High School, what always struck me was that I needed to have drugs to have a good time. There was always an "event" of some kind. A football game, prom, dances, parties etc. I found myself always having a reason to break from my regimen or to indulge for "special occasions". Maybe you had "an especially stressful day". The latter was always one of my favorites. Don't follow my lead in this respect.

If 2-3 times a week literally means usually 2 but very occasionally 3, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I would doubt that the Benzodiazepines that you tend to favor would remain appreciably over these spans of time.

If I take benzos on just a regular day when i feel normal, I dont find them particularly enjoyable or euphoric, maybe just a slight bit of relaxation.
However, when I take them on a comedown from high doses of amphetamines and methylphenidate(combined), I get the most euphoric and blissful feeling of relief and relaxation.
Thats why I only want to keep them for those special ocassions and never break the "2 days a week rule" to maintain the same feeling of relief over long periods of time

If I take benzos on just a regular day when i feel normal, I dont find them particularly enjoyable or euphoric, maybe just a slight bit of relaxation.
However, when I take them on a comedown from high doses of amphetamines and methylphenidate(combined), I get the most euphoric and blissful feeling of relief and relaxation.
Thats why I only want to keep them for those special ocassions and never break the "2 days a week rule" to maintain the same feeling of relief over long periods of time

I actually get depressed if I take a benzo on its own when I'm feeling normal. Personally for me benzos are only good for come downs, panic attacks, and taking the anxiety/paranoia away from a good ol' weed blazin sesh.

I'm new here and I've been taking benzodiazepines on and off since 16 I'm 33 now . I've got myself off ananx and clonazepam and diazepam all at once . I was taking 5mg bars of ananx ( excuse my spelling) I had a vendor who could get 5mg bars they were called Red Devil's I was taking up to 4 a day and I'd take 10 mg clonazepam and diazepam cuz I was on that legally anyway. The stuff I did on that crap I can't remember 85% I showed myself up I could barely talk . I suffer with mental Heath EUPD or BPD and with my other meds I was out of it . I woke up one night lying face down on the kitchen floor . In the end the police and ambulance carted me back to psychiatric ward . While was in the ward another girl saw me popping 4mg 2mg 5 mg bars like sweets . I slipped up by leaving my stash in the toilet and this girl found them and handed them in to the staff . I
Went into utter panic. My family had had enough of me I was in a bad way . If it wasn't for that girl in hospital grassing me up to the staff I'd probably be dead . The withdrawals I sailed through I used my diazepam legal script to take withdraws away and gradually reduced everyday for a month then at 4mg diazepam I jumped . 9months later I'm here but I've made a mistake because my nurse won't prescribe me diazepam now that means I've no emergency pills incase of family party in a pub or a first date etc so I brought diazepam off my original vendor and I thought I'd try them for few days and my tolerance was high in just 3 days so idiot me has just brought clonazepam and klopin just incase . I feel awful in myself for going there again . I will keep for emergencies. OP you will get addicted pretty fast even if there's a gap because your tolerance will rise each time so your body will crave it mentally. All I know is stay away unless it's an emergency case . I'm
New where are the benzo stories about the things we've done stoned ? I'm
Sure I found that thread once ?

Eatinpills yes I use to get that I'd get a little nice buzz at first then 30 minutes later I feel moody and withdrawn strange really .

Lief Richards ( sorry I'm new) you're right in the money I've brought a stash first time in 9 months since I got benzo clean but I need spares because I can't be round people and I use them for get together Say . I agree one can fool their selves. In the end the OP could get higher tolerence and that leads to more benzodiazepines .

hey guys, so just to clarify, 1-2mg xanax, etizolam, or klonopin twice a week won't increase my tolerance and cause me to take higher doses for the same relaxation and anxiety relief? If not twice a week what about once a week, or even less if there's no need to take em? I mainly use em for nasty adderall comedowns. Im just constantly getting worried about building tolerance and that in a few weeks/month i wont feel the same nice and relaxing effects from those 1-2mg doses... What do you think guys? I just took 1mg xanax and 1mg etizolam for a nasty comedown and im just worried that soon I wont be able to do this anymore :/

Also i read somewhere that etizolam has a slower buildup of tolerance and withdrawals than xanax and kpins. Even read that it has reverse tolerance. Can someone confirm please?

Idk I use to take 1mg a night during one summer and I was fine. But then I went through depression as I left my ex-girlfriend for another girl from my class, which wasn't in my class anymore. Pretty stupid guy, ended up taking 3 mg one night and breaking one knuckle. Then came a long brake. I started binging 3mg a day after I dropped out of school, and I wouldn't recommend that either. I experience tolerance once idk it just didn't felt the same, but only once. Anyway one time my parents called 911 because I was sleeping and that's the end of the story. I don't blame them as one of my friends never woke up (i'm not sure why). I guess we all gotta learn from our mistakes.

Last edited:
you'd be way better off at a couple times a month, which is still putting you at some level of risk. two - three days a week is no good because it's difficult to maintain. that's pretty regular use of a very addictive class of drugs. it will certainly increase tolerance, especially at 1mg of xanax which is not a small dose, but it won't create significant physical dependence.

Not many people manage to take them sustainably over extended periods of time.
no they do not.