• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How to reduce the tolerance of weed ?

nachosmith

Bluelighter
Ok so ive been smoking for a year now .

And tolerance has built up over time .

I have a week smoking everyday followed by a week not smoking at all .
This works for me .

But i was wondering if there are any other ways i can reduce the tolerance ?

shit i usually guit for a month or 2 and then when i smoke again its alil better

Stopping smoking works wonders... I actually did this vitamin diet when I was a regular smoker and had to pass a drug test within a week, and it worked... What I did was take vitamin C every day, and niacin.

You might not like niacin, so I suggest you take the release over time one, because what it does is after you take it, it will make your body feel as if it was sunburnt for around 15 minutes. Niacin is actually a very good vitamin, increases your overall health.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I drank 2 energy drinks every day, energy drinks have many vitamins that help clear out your body of impurities and that kind of stuff.

Stopping smoking works wonders... I actually did this vitamin diet when I was a regular smoker and had to pass a drug test within a week, and it worked... What I did was take vitamin C every day, and niacin.

You might not like niacin, so I suggest you take the release over time one, because what it does is after you take it, it will make your body feel as if it was sunburnt for around 15 minutes. Niacin is actually a very good vitamin, increases your overall health.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I drank 2 energy drinks every day, energy drinks have many vitamins that help clear out your body of impurities and that kind of stuff.

Thanks alot ... ill be going out to walmart to buy some naicin tablets

Every few months or so i take a 5 day break to let the tolerance drop as i read somewhere thats how long it takes for the thc to be removed from the fat cells its stored in, not sure how true that is tho.
It seems to work wonders for me, first bong rip after that break is blissful :D
Seems to stay that way for about a month then the effects start to lessen once again :(

A few tips from someone who's been battling tolerance for years:

Try smoking less during each session, and don't redose (smoke more) at all or until you've almost completely come down from the last time.

Find different (and better) strains. Many strains seem to have a ceiling, in other words you can smoke more and more of that strain without getting higher than a certain point.

Better strains generally have a higher "ceiling," and switching up strains is extremely useful in keeping tolerance low (or at least in getting higher). A certain amount of tolerance seems to be "strain-specific" so you may think you have a very high tolerance, but it's possible that a different strain could still get you very high.

Also, get better weed, if possible. That may sound like i'm making an assumption that your bud isn't high quality, but I obviously have no idea what your stuff is like. That said, you might be surprised to find that there is better shit around. Keep your ear to the ground.

And as others have said, take a break. That's the only real way to lower your tolerance, as far as I know. A break can also be refreshing mentally/psychologically, and will also help you appreciate the high again when you start again. A week break will probably give you a pretty couple intense highs when you come back. Two weeks or more and you'll feel almost like you'd never smoked before. There was actually a study done on rats (which may have limited applicability to humans) with cannabis tolerance and I think the conclusion was that about 11-14 days was required for tolerance to disappear (sorry not to cite a reference, shouldn't be hard to find the article if someone is so inclined). The above tips are just "tricks" to stay high, but won't necessarily actually have any impact on your tolerance.

Good luck.

I find that if one smokes a lot of mid grade weed it will make the occasions when you can afford dank a bit more "special"

A few tips from someone who's been battling tolerance for years:

Try smoking less during each session, and don't redose (smoke more) at all or until you've almost completely come down from the last time.

Find different (and better) strains. Many strains seem to have a ceiling, in other words you can smoke more and more of that strain without getting higher than a certain point.

Better strains generally have a higher "ceiling," and switching up strains is extremely useful in keeping tolerance low (or at least in getting higher). A certain amount of tolerance seems to be "strain-specific" so you may think you have a very high tolerance, but it's possible that a different strain could still get you very high.

Also, get better weed, if possible. That may sound like i'm making an assumption that your bud isn't high quality, but I obviously have no idea what your stuff is like. That said, you might be surprised to find that there is better shit around. Keep your ear to the ground.

And as others have said, take a break. That's the only real way to lower your tolerance, as far as I know. A break can also be refreshing mentally/psychologically, and will also help you appreciate the high again when you start again. A week break will probably give you a pretty couple intense highs when you come back. Two weeks or more and you'll feel almost like you'd never smoked before. There was actually a study done on rats (which may have limited applicability to humans) with cannabis tolerance and I think the conclusion was that about 11-14 days was required for tolerance to disappear (sorry not to cite a reference, shouldn't be hard to find the article if someone is so inclined). The above tips are just "tricks" to stay high, but won't necessarily actually have any impact on your tolerance.

Good luck.

Spot on.

Smoke one big hit -- assault those receptors before they know what's coming and have a chance to shut down. If you're taking a series of small hits off a joint, you just won't get as high.

There's plenty of good info on this thread in general, I'd just like to respond to one thing:

Feroc1ty, did you seriously just call energy drinks healthy? :!

Yes, many of them have vitamins. You can get those same vitamins from, say, a vitamin! What they ALSO have is tons of sugar and caffeine. The '5 hour energy' type energy shots are better for you, but if your primary interest is health and vitamins, you should steer clear of all energy drinks. I drink 'em sometimes, but I have no illusions that I'm doing my body any favours and neither should you. If there's a specific brand you're referring to that is uniquely healthy, you should specify, as the VAST majority of energy drinks on the market (at least in the US), especially the most popular ones, are very bad for you. Red Bull and company are the furthest thing from a healthy drink this side of battery acid.

Ultra-low dose mu opioid antagonists and cannabinoid antagonists might work? Naloxone and rimonabant?

Exercise and proper diet (healthy carbs and proteins) combined with a week break will MURDER your tolerance. Heavy cardio and compound lifts...

EDIT: and yeah, energy drinks won't help you. I'd stick with cranberry and high vit B and C intake.

...don't smoke as much.

period.

i really don't understand why it's so difficult to understand this, and i'm surprised to see so many posts in such a thread as i'm pretty damn sure this has been covered here in CD before...

anyway, taking a break helps HEAPS, man. i'm close to the point of doing so myself, as i'm finding myself taking advantage of the herb, and it feels almost like it's losing it's meaning to me. :(

edit: it still works wonderfully for pain relief(i have a torn rotator cuff and loose cartilage in right shoulder), but the high is not like it could be if i would take a fucking break.

fruit fast. i did this for 3 days last month and it worked wonders on my health and my tolerance.

just stop smoking for 3-5 days while only drinking water (and lots of it, at least 3 L a day) and fruit only when absolutely necessary (if you need to go to work or do something requiring energy). good fruits are apples, pineapples, bananas, strawberries, etc. pretty much any are all around good for you and can give you short lasting energy you might need during the fast.

your whole body clears out ultra fast, as well as your mind. i felt it put me in a state of mental toughness and clarity.

try it out :)

cbf readin the thread but heres what helped me
i used to smoke in morning b4 work everyday , then at home wen id get bak at night

then i cut out the morning smoke , that few extra hours of non-stonedness day after day i noticed brought my tolerance down a fair bit , not heaps but noticeable

now every evening i can expect to get nice and ripped wen i get home

Another thing to keep in mind is that many of the "tolerance" effects seem to be entirely mental. If you are stoned all the time, you just aren't going to notice the effects of the green as much because you have made being high such a regular aspect of your life.

I've been smoking almost every day for 3 years, and I really haven't noticed any physical tolerance issues- 1 hit is still usually enough to get me high. I have never noticed any real need to increase my dosage to achieve that special touch that this wonderful plant has provided. I have certainly been able to "integrate" the high into my perception more as time has gone on, so that I can pretty much do anything high that I can do not-high, but I am still quite aware of the drug's presence and effects on my state of being...

All in all, I love cannabis, and it can be a powerful ally when used responsibly. If you are using this substance as a "crutch" to deal with an issue, (I'm not saying anyone here is...) I believe that this could manifest itself as a mental tolerance, as cannabis is a "light" but no less real psychedelic in my mind.

That being said; if this is not the case- as others have pointed out, switching methods of intake will definately have an effect on your tolerance, as will switching strains, and of course taking more extended breaks and not smoking as much in general will have an effect. Also, as noted above, if you "assault" your cannabinoid receptors with a large amount of THC before you're already high, this will get you a lot higher. (Gravity hits... oh yeah!)

Just let go, and let the THC flow... :)

Just let go, and let the THC flow... :)

Hell the f yeah.

I usually smoke daily but every once in a while (or when i run out and cant get any) i take a break for maybe 2-3 days, or at most a week. then when i smoke i get really really high once, then the tolerance goes back to normal. i still get high just not that crazy high you get