• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

HOW TO QUIT SMOKING ~ Mega Thread

egor said:
The gum made me sick

How so? Did you chew it for about 1-2 minutes and then keep it in your mouth without chewing, because otherwise it can make you a bit sick.

I was on Niquitin gum for a while, it was great, I tried Nicorette and it was complete shit though. Unfortunately cigarettes are cheaper than the nicotine gum (well roll-ups are anyway).

I smoked for about three years, at the end smoking about a pack and a half. I frequently got sick, missed alot of school. I got broncitis, and was unable to smoke for three days, by the time I felt better I decided to quit. A 1, 1/2 yrs later and I feel great. I also haven't become sick since, which is great for someone who used to get sick about 6 times a yr.

The first week or two was bad, but after that it got alot easier, I now almost never want a cigarette.

i quit one day when i got my lip pierced. the smoke irritated the piercing really bad, and i had a pretty nasty cough & phlegm at the time, so I kicked it then and there. it was rough at first, hard to smoke anything really with my sore lip. But the pain almost took my mind off the fact that I was fiending for nicotine. Then the habit just stuck. Also, not being around butt puffers the first few weeks helped. I still smoke one or two when I'm real drunk, but I try not to do even that. I *never* have phlegm when I wake up, my lungs don't always hurt, and i WORK OUT now....
i would say i've saved a ton of money and it was so worth it....
now i look at smokers differently.... i dont disrespect the need 4 nicotine, but i think it is just silly now....

protovack said:
I have a long and varied history with nicotine.

The day I turned 18 I started buying packs of Camel Reds to feel more grown up. That lasted for 3 years.

I quit for a constellation of reasons.

As I began to realize that I needed to get serious about school/life/career things, I took a look around me at the kinds of people I would need to interact with. None of them smoked cigarettes. During the same period of time, I started to see the value of good health...again, by looking at people who were older, seeing that they were healthy, and did not smoke.

Towards the end of my nicotine addiction, the truth was becoming more clear every day. Succesful people, as a rule, do not smoke cigarettes. Why not? Because to be succesful, you have to be mentally and physically on top of your game. You have to be able to concentrate for long periods without "needing a fix."

As a smoker, I found that I was using cigarettes as something "to look forward to" because, perhaps not surprisingly, I had nothing else TO look forward to. And then once I stopped, I was able to live in the real world again.

My dad is very successful, and he smokes. He's a hard working, and level headed individual, who works 12 hour days more often than not. He smokes to relieve stress.

I don't think success has to do with wether you smoke or not.

My dad is very successful, and he smokes. He's a hard working, and level headed individual, who works 12 hour days more often than not. He smokes to relieve stress.

I don't think success has to do with whether you smoke or not.

very true. there are many underlying causes, but to blame a cigarette habit for not being "a success" in life is a bit far reaching. I know many many successful, disciplined and goal-oriented individuals who smoke as a way to relieve stress.

I like the final irony, where you began smoking to feel more grown up, but ceased because you found successful people (perhaps the most matured, by a certain standard) not to smoke.

ebola

I was a smoker for ten year, horribally addicted, wanted to and tried so hard to quit but I couldn't stay off the fucking things. I was also a chronic asthmatic and at 25years old, could barely walk up stairs let alone be really phisical. I would wake up and cough green shit out of my lungs every morning and through the day. Then, The day I got out of rehab for pot (another story) I quit the cigs. I used the losenge which I found way better than the gum or patch. I got the strongest one and just kept one in my mouth every waking moment almost. I used about twice the max dose.
That did it.....for about 8 months when I relapsed, one here, one there, then about 6 over a weekend.

Then I got Pnemonia

I have NEVER been so sick, I thought I would die. My mum had to come from interstate to look after me at home.

That did it. Not cigs disguest me so much. They make me want to vomit. I find it laughable that some people I live with tell me not to buy nestle chocolate because of something or other they do while they have a ciggerette hanging out of their mouth. Like, what the fuck do you think the business practices of the company you spend half your free cash are like anyway?
Fucktards

i first picked up a cigarette at 11, started smoking habitually at 13. i smoked around a pack a day until my lungs couldn't take it anymore so i switched to lights and finally menthols. i smoked up until i was 19 and "quit" because i was pregnant. i stopped smoking for 19 mos until i stopped breastfeeding then started smoking again. i recently quit on july 25, 2006 and haven't picked up a cig since then.

the reasons i quit were because it tasted dirty to me and for my daughter. i would smoke weed then i'd smoke a cig right afterward and for some reason, every time i took a drag, i felt like i wanted to puke. the smell is nasty, the taste is nasty and the headaches i started getting from smoking just weren't worth it. i gave the rest of my pack to my BF and that was that. i'll still get cravings when i'm drunk or under the influence of certain substances but for the most part, cigs just aren't my thing anymore. i also didn't want my baby exposed to second-hand smoke (even though she still is :\). i have severe asthma and i was and am still worried that she might develop it. LA is also smog infested so her health problems are bad enough without having to be surrounded by stinky cig smoke.

i think i did get lucky in that i was able to quit cold turkey. my boss has been trying to quit for years and even made a new year's resolution to quit smoking this year and she hasn't been able to do it.

Ah, my lungs started to give me a wheez yesterday (I assume the cold weather helped that along nicely). I had noticed that I gradually increased my smoking in the past few days, and I attribute it to the slight bouts of depression and stress that I have been experiencing lately. When I feel empty, I tend to be more prone to lighting more cigarettes up in a day than I'm used to.

Anyways, social smoking didn't help either. Once I realized how much I was smoking recently and how it affected me (I think weed helped me with that one too), then I decided to cease for a bit. I'm also toning down cannabis intake as well (partially for selfish reasons; I want stronger effects when I do smoke, and my income can't take it).

I have also come to realize that there are good and bad moods for smoking cigarettes. Sometimes my physical health isn't at its best, and I may have experiences some discomfort internally that day. In such a case, cigarettes will only make that worse, and may break the camel's back, too. I find that when driving or sitting down in general, cigarettes are a good compliment, but in some circumstances they can make me feel rather ill. Set and setting is a factor, which makes me think twice about picking up smoking as a habit.

At any rate, I am slowing down for the time being, and have also thought about changing the way I smoke as well. I am going to ditch bleached rice papers for an alternative (RAW), roll my own (once I find an organic blend of tobacco that I enjoy, or dump out my clove tobacco), or perhaps start using a pipe instead.

the main reason i picked up cigs in the first place was because i wanted smoke in my lungs when the state told me i could no longer smoke weed...

when i picked up running again, just recently acutally i found that my cravings for cigs dropped dramatically due to the fact i knew it would hinder my running.. its been 3 weeks now, the time many cigarette smokers call heartbreakers hill due to going back around this timeframe and i see no reason or urge to go back yet.

I never get tired of talking about this :)

I quit Nov 2005 after 16 years of smoking. I needed to quit as I am on the pill I was 32 at the time. I used the patch for 4 weeks.

I started to care if I got a smoking related illness. I realized that I do smoke enough to quit. I stopped rationalizing my negative behaviour.

I am embarrassed that I smoked at all. It started not to make any sense to me. People die of smoke inhalation and here I was CHOOSING to do this to my body. All those nasty unnecessary chemicals.

Nicotine is a ugly addiction. A month into quitting, I could not conjure the memory of what it felt like to have a cig. I know the hand to mouth action. I know the feeling of inhalation and exhalation. I know how it feels to be drunk or high on other drugs but not nicotine. Why was I smoking? What was I getting from it...really?

My husband is into his third month of a smoke free lifestyle. He used the patch and Wellbutrin for a month. He did it on his own time. Without any bitching from me. I am pleased that he joined me earlier than I anticipated.

I've been smoking for about three-and-a-half years, about 1.5 packs a day. I had a cigarette last night, and then when I woke up this morning I went and bought the 4mg commit cherry lozenges. They seem to be working really well, since I don't even have an urge to smoke. I expect the next couple of days to be a lot harder, naturally, but I really want to give cig's up for good. I can't stand the smell, and I'm sick of not being able to sit down and watch a movie or do a little writing without having to get up every 45 minutes to walk outside to have a smoke.

At any rate, I am slowing down for the time being, and have also thought about changing the way I smoke as well.

Me too. I've cut down considerably when compared to just last month.....(I have to say here for posteritys sake that I was a smoker for a decade, half of that I was a 2 pack of reds a DAY smoker...) and last October 2005 I quit for about 11 months and started smoking again late last year. Nothing compared to the way I used to tho....it's the only vice I have as of late (not even caffeine!) and my way of relaxing especially at work.

ANYWAY last weekend I experienced a little difficulty breathing, like a very mild pre-asthma feeling, and I hated it. I still exercise 3x a week and can go about my day despite my habit BUT.....like I said earlier, I had cut down considerably now. I dont need to smoke everytime I get in the car to drive somewhere, or when I wake up, or every 30 minutes. I'm stopping myself again and realizing that 70% of the time I don't really like/need/crave it as much as I did.

Just my update for the week ;)

I've been rerolling my cigarettes in aLeda transparent papers, and they've been much nicer on my lungs (damn bleached papers)

Quitting tobacco smoking

It's hard. Theres a bunch of resources on the web already, but they are mostly biased towards people who want to sell you stuff.

Zyban - Has anyone tried it? Did it work?

I quit for 6 weeks once. I was heavily on xanax and just knock myself out when i craved. This led to a downward spiral. Two DUI's/trading addictions and it failed in the end. Made my life a lot worse and I still smoke. It *might* have worked if i hadn't smoked weed with my friends (always need cig afterwards), but its the one thing I regret the most in my life - trying to rationalize the use of xanax.

Those benzos work for a while, but spiral into hell.

I got a good idea of what needs to be done to quit, but if anyone has any obscure tips - this would be greatly appreciated.

any new insight would be valued be me and most likely others.

>< /-\ /\/ /-\ >< said:
Zyban - Has anyone tried it? Did it work?

I'm on it at the moment and it does help with the cravings to a degree but its not the magic bullet (THERE IS NONE) The side effects are also pretty full on,.

I'd recommend reading - Allen Carrs "Easy way to stop smoking" first, it's a great book IMHO.