• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

HOW TO QUIT SMOKING ~ Mega Thread

It CAN be you.

This is my second time quitting. Smoked for 15-16 years, quit for 5 years, smoked 2 years, and quit again.
This time is for good. This habit just does not make sense.

Very true.. I have been a smoker on and off for 10 years and I probably quit 4 times already. I quit for 6 months now and feel truly amazing! I don't see the point of torturing my lungs anymore and worrying everyday about getting lung cancer.

Last edited:
im quitting again, ive been smoking pretty regularly for the past 3 years

basically the key to success this time (ive tried quitting 40+ times already approx)

is i become an exercise junkie, and then smoking simply does not fit in to that lifestyle, plus the increased dopamine levels help to stave off cravings

i have a hard time convincing myself that i dont need to be smoking to enjoy myself however

Hi. I'm here because, like all of you, I decided to quit smoking. I'm just 18 (almost 19) and I've been smoking last year and a half. I wasn't a heavy smoker (not even an average one I think); I'd just smoke up to 4 cigs/day (probably because my lungs couldn't cope with more lol) and I could cope with going through 1/2 days without smoking.
Besides all the obvious reasons to quit (health and money, etc), the main reason I'm quitting is that I fucking hate the feeling of being addicted to something. Sounds weird to me because it's the first (and last) drug I've been addicted to. But I hate the feeling of needing a "fix", of not being able to watch an entire movie in my sofa without having to pause it and go outside to have a smoke, to have random breaks on my study in order to smoke, to feeling stressed and the first thing that comes to my mind is about having a cig so I'd calm down (we all know that's an illusion). And I also hated the smell on my fingers and mouth so almost everytime I smoked I'd go wash my hands and teeth.

It's just the most pointless drug ever. But I'm addicted to it.

So I began searching methods to quit smoking and I randomly got with this topic and with a recommendation about Allen Carr's "Easyway to Stop Smoking".
It's all about reversing the brainwash you took all this smoker-life (like thinking smoking relieves stress and boredom) and making you realize that's all an illusion.
I started reading it on Thursday and almost finished it on Friday. At that time, I didn't have the real need to smoke but still wanted to finish my pack (as the author says to smoke until you finish reading). I was feeling really motivated and even dreamed about telling everyone I stopped smoking and thinking that all smokers were all assholes by letting themselves get stick to it.
However, in the "final" day I'd smoke my last cig (Saturday), I wasn't THAT motivated. I don't know why, I still wanted to quit (and I want, more than everything) but it seemed that all that euphoria and optimism flew away during the night from Friday to Saturday.
I had my last cig and haven't touched one so far. But the problem is: I think I still have the desire to smoke (right now, actually). While I was optimistic about quitting, I really thought it'd be easy as the author says but I'm finding this withdrawal a bit more difficult than expected.
I know this sounds this stupid but, idk, I think I should have had that final cig while I was still "on fire" after almost finishing the book. I thought that, after reading the book, I wouldn't have this relatively intense craving for cigarettes (I'm on 3rd day btw). I don't know, I thought I would never had the desire to smoke as some users said after reading the book.

Right now, I just want to cry because I don't want to succumb to this fucking hell of a drug. I just don't fucking want to damage my health and waste money for this horrible substance that only makes your life worse since the moment it goes into your body.

But what I really fear is that, hypothetically, I won't smoke ever again but still have these cravings. (Again) I know this sounds stupid but the author said that one of the main fears that most smokers have about quitting is those stories of ex-smokers that don't smoke for 30 years but still wish they could have a cig.
I don't want to be one of them. I want to be a happy non-smoker that never has the urge to smoke no more.

I'm sorry if I sounded confusing or childish but I really don't know what to do. And I'm also sorry about any eventual English grammatical errors but it's not my native language (I'm from Portugal).

Hi Agoraphobia thank you for sharing this with us. I would like to tell you that I was also a smoker. I wasn't only a smoker but a "chain smoker," and I used to finish two packs or a pack a day. I quit for almost 6 months now and I feel pretty wonderful about it! When I still smoked, I would always have worries about my health and my lungs. I had questions like "What if I get cancer?" or "Shoot, I am coughing and my chest hurts what if this is the start of cancer stage 2?" I've decided to quit because I started going to the gym again and I need my cardio to be really good. I also reminded myself that i will not benefit from smoking and that I don't want to end up like my uncle who passed away from Emphysema.

If you think of it, it is not so bad at all. Ask yourself, what benefits are you getting from smoking? Think of the consequences and always remind yourself that a healthier body is better than being sick and having money.

I've quit smoking :)

Hey, I don't know if this is where to post this, if not, please move it. I have made a few posts in the past about trying to quit. My last post was several years ago but I think this time I will do it. I have been smoking for about 3.5 years and have tried to give it up many of times. No one knows that I smoke, still after 3 and a half years of maintaining a daily habit, I managed to keep it a secret. We are all going to Thailand next weekend for my sisters wedding and I realized that I'm not going to be able to keep it a secret while we are there so last Thursday I had my last smoke.

On Thursday morning I had 1 smoke and that was it for the last, on Saturday night I had 2 smokes and I have had about 18 nicotine minds in between. I lost the last two and all shops were closed today so I had to go without. I think I'm going to keep it that way from now on, fully cold turkey.

I have been completely fine so far, today I felt a little edgy and was getting frustrated more than usual. I was wondering if anyone else that has quit can shed some light on what I can expect over the next couple of days/weeks. Do you think I'll be a 'non-smoker' by next weekend or is that too far-fetched?

Great work Tommy. I too have recently quit a 20-30 a day habit which after over 20 years has been as challenging as stopping any substance I am dependant on. Six weeks without a cigarette & I am starting to enjoy not smoking. You will be testy & a little distracted but the good thing is that the cravings go away quickly & there is a little more time between cravings as you go on.

No you won't be a non smoker by the weekend but you can be a smoker who has not had any cigarettes if you do the right thing by yourself. I feel that the 4 week mark is about when you can declare yourself a non smoker as it is well out of your system then & you should have broken many of the smoking habits by then. You know the ones where you usually light one up such as getting in the car etc.

This has been a lifesaver for me as I can address the cravings as I get them & unlike patches I can regulate when & how I use it.

C9094_HERO3b.jpg

I think a mod can merge your thread into the existing one about smoking cessation. I'm going to be trying again too -stopped counting the times haha.

congrats on quitting tommy. the edgy and irritable thing is maybe unavoidable, other than with nicotine gum and that's not cold turkey. it's a small price to pay though for your freedom and health back. one less thing to think about, to be on your mind. it's gonna feel great.

Congratulations Tommy! It's really hard to quit cold turkey but just do it one day at a time. If you are still having cravings maybe just find something else to get your mind into and try not to think about it too much.

Congrats! Go you! Cold turkey is the best way to quit in my opinion. You have to change the way you think about it and change your habits. You don't need a silly patch or a pill that's magically going to do it for you. It's hard work, to change the way you think, but it's a deep transformation that can't be reversed if you put the time and sincere effort into it. Don't beat yourself up if you slip up though, it's not all or nothing, just get right back on that horse and keep going. It is hard but this too will pass.

I have been completely fine so far, today I felt a little edgy and was getting frustrated more than usual. I was wondering if anyone else that has quit can shed some light on what I can expect over the next couple of days/weeks. Do you think I'll be a 'non-smoker' by next weekend or is that too far-fetched?

Of course you can be a non-smoker by next weekend! Just do it! If you are finding yourself getting edgy and irritated (which is totally normal for someone who just quit smoking) do something that calms you down! Go for a walk. Be productive. Do some jumping jacks in your living room. (I never feel like smoking anymore after I get out of breath, its like a reminder of why I quit in the first place)

In my experience the cravings subside more and more every day the longer you go without a smoke. Occassions will pop up that will make you really want a cigarette, but remember, this is just ONE moment, one craving, and you can get past it without giving in. The satisfaction and pride you feel from making it through these times without giving into the craving will build up your confidence and momentum, and before you know it you won't have thought about cigarettes for a really long time and they will disgust you.

I quit back on aug 27 and still going strong. Keep at it and remember how much better youre going to feel.

Hey, thanks for the support :) It actually helps and congratulations to everyone else that has been successful in quitting. Today is day 6 and I feel like a million dollars. Yesterday morning I was a bit on edge, I couldn't get any mints at the local shop and the chemist didn't open until after I had to leave town to go to work.

What also helps me is regular exercise. Being able to utilize your new lungs and feel the improvement is grand especially when youre not hacking up a lung or trying to catch your breath after a warm up.

Any other heavy stoners else find that they were able to completely negate withdrawal symptoms and quit using tobacco with total ease, simply by setting aside a week and getting so blazed for the whole of it, that they barely even noticed the WDs?

That's what I did, and I seem to have had the most success quitting smoking of anyone I know who has tried. I also didn't ever decide to quit smoking, I just decided to see how long I could go without a cigarette, and after 20 hours thought, well, if I've made it this far...

I also found that a good coping mechanism was to say that I am still allowed cigars. Been well over a year now (maybe quite a bit over, I lose track) since I had a cigarette. I'd been smoking for about 8 or so years, very heavily. I think, twice in the time since I quit, I have been in that 'balls to it all, throw yourself away' place, but each time, I had a cigar. They sorted the immediate problem, but I think of them as different enough from cigarettes that they didn't re-trigger my fag habit.

Also, enjoy and really, really experience what your body tells you in the few days-1 week after quitting smoking. Fags smell goddamn disgusting, and as your sense of taste returns... well, I for one was kind of horrified to actually taste the food I was eating for the first time in such a long time. I think in that same week I lost a good potion of my desire for convenience foods, artificial sweeteners and flavorings, and food packaged in plastic that you wind up tasting right through to the core... bleugh. For me, quitting smoking also gave me a massive bonus crash-course in appreciating taste, and distinguishing food from, as Michael Pollan (Sp?) would say, 'edible food-like substances'

I have been smoke free for 33+ years now. =D

If I can do it anyone can do it.

Almost two months smoke free. Living a healthier life style with a good lifting routine and going hiking helps a lot.

Ok listen up because this is the painless easy way to quit smoking.

I used to import 2 tins per shipment into australia - 2 tins would be about 10 days supply at a total cost of $14.
Customs won't bother you if you only get 2 tins at a time.

Since there is no sources allowed, I suggest you google "buy snus" *hint*

I like this stuff better than cigs and havn't smoked for 5 years

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snus

http://science.howstuffworks.com/snus5.htm

Congrats :). I've been smking for 13 years and have quit 3 times. Haven't taken a break in 7 years but from what I remember the dts wernt as bad as I thought. Was a lil edgy,like jetlag for 3-5 days and after 3-4 weeks the cravings were for the most part gone. I can't really remember how the dts were but since I can't remember then they must of not been to bad. Good Luck to you :)