• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos how to potentiate lorazepam???

foolcoolguy

Greenlighter
Hi, I was wondering if there was any way to potentiate lorazepam (my favorite benzo), and preferably not just the sedation aspect. I know the greatfruit juice trick works for xanax and klonopin, but to my knowledge it doesn't work for lorazepam.

Also is it true that nicotine somehow deminishes the effect of benzos, specifically lpam?

Thanks a lot for any and all help.

Nicotine is a stimulant, and will somewhat counteract the effects of benzodiazepines. Other people are content with mixing them, you will have to test it out for yourself if you are a smoker.

Lorazepam is metabolised in the liver by conjugation into inactive lorazepam-glucuronide.

Because of this, WGFJ and cimetidine will not potentiate lorazepam. Temazepam and oxazepam are also exceptions to WGFJ and cimetidine potentiation.

If you are really trying to potentiate lorazepam, try taking an antihistamine with it. That will make it more sedating though.

i agree on the ciggis kill any benzo buzz part

id say a cpl drinks , not heaps , just one or two standard drinks on a low benzo dose is best way to potentiate , not a good idea if ur goin to be out in public i.e amnesia and stupid antics can happen alot easier ime .. prob not the best advice but its always done the trick for me

Ok, ill try taking a benadryl with it. Well this sucks but at least its something to try. I find the benzo high is so illusive because of the tolerance factor.

i agree on the ciggis kill any benzo buzz part

No, the effects are anecdotal at best. Tobacco doesn't "kill" any buzz, it at worst slightly shortens the duration of the benzo. And YMMV. Also, tobacco can be a stimulant AND a depressant, it depends on a ton of factors.

Man, I've tried alprazolam, clonazepam, lorazepam, and even had/have a script for diazepam and temazepam. I'm yet to catch a "buzz" from benzos... :\ They worked great for my anxiety back when I was less mentally healthy than I am now, but aside from that never produced euphoria or anything enjoyable. I've about given up on 'em...

Tomorrow night's experimental cocktail: Ambien. %)

Man, I've tried alprazolam, clonazepam, lorazepam, and even had/have a script for diazepam and temazepam. I'm yet to catch a "buzz" from benzos... :\ They worked great for my anxiety back when I was less mentally healthy than I am now, but aside from that never produced euphoria or anything enjoyable. I've about given up on 'em...

Tomorrow night's experimental cocktail: Ambien. %)

Temazepam is by far the best benzo out of those listed IMO.

I don't think benzos are found to be euphoric by all people.

I definitely find very little personal recreational use for benzos, but Temazepam may have been my favorite as well.

However, I think WGFJ does in fact potentiate Lorazepam. I have received bottles of prescribed lorazepam with stickers reading "AVOID GRAPEFRUIT" on them. I assumed this was confirmation of suspected enzyme meddling/potentiation.

At the very least I would imagine eaten grapefruit to have some effect. I have not experimented with the combination with any degree of thoroughness, and cannot comment on it from experience.

The most 'synergenistic' will be ETOH and barbituate type drugs in terms of 'nighty-night' even though you may not visibly fall aseep. Also the most dangerous by far for obvious reasons.

I find weed is nice but then I think weed goes good with everything.

I definitely find very little personal recreational use for benzos, but Temazepam may have been my favorite as well.

However, I think WGFJ does in fact potentiate Lorazepam. I have received bottles of prescribed lorazepam with stickers reading "AVOID GRAPEFRUIT" on them. I assumed this was confirmation of suspected enzyme meddling/potentiation.

At the very least I would imagine eaten grapefruit to have some effect. I have not experimented with the combination with any degree of thoroughness, and cannot comment on it from experience.

Lorazepam is metabolised in the liver by conjugation into inactive lorazepam-glucuronide.

If it was metabolized in the liver by any of the cytochrome P450 enzymes (CYP1A2, CYP2C9, CYP2C19, CYP2D6, CYP2E1, and CYP3A4), then yes, WGFJ would potentiate lorazepam. However that does not appear to be the case.

If you enjoy WGFJ with lorazepam then have fun! I just don't believe it prevents it from metabolizing at the same speed it would have already.

^ possible it inceases absorption though. Not sure but that is what it does to certain drugs. It inhibits some of the intestinal enzymes that would normaly inactivate at least some of the compound.

However I'm not sure if it does to lorazepam. You'll have to google that yourself.

Basically Lorazepam sucks. It is one of the weakest benzos there is IMO. Try Xanax or Valium. Valium is one of the original and still the best IMO of all benzos. It's the only one that gives me any sort of euphoria ( not that I really get any from any drug now).

Just be carefull. After a while it gets very hard to get high on anything. That's what I'm experiencing now after years of use. I've been high for about 30 years out of 52+. Now I'm worried I'll OD trying to get 'high'. Now I sometimes get so wasted I end up bouncing my head off the table. Spilling my spoon in the process. Nodding while mixing a shot. You don't need to end up like that. All drugs are like that. They only work well for a short period then you end up chasing a high that wil never happen. I had a period of 12 yers sobriety in there that was the best years of my life so far. I'm trying to get back there again. Having great difficulty as I have to work (and be alert) and getting off the dope is really hard. Read about PAWS.

I could definitely see an overzealous/underinformed pharm tech slapping the sticker on almost arbitrarily.

GFJ/ cimetidine would not potentiate lorazepam, as CH said...

My personal choice is a small to moderate dose of Alcohol.
I usually have one or two big glasses of wine or a few bottles of beer, something like that.
Too much can be dangerous though (as previously mentioned here and everywhere) but, aswell as that, I find it can sometimes completely cloud over the feeling of the Benzo, which is subtle but something I find very enjoyable.

Other than Alcohol, anything that raises levels of GABA or works in a similar way to Benzos:
(Pregabalin [Lyrica], Gabapentin [Neurontin], Carisoprodol [Soma], Barbiturates, Zolpidem [Ambien], Zopiclone [Imovane], Baclofen, Phenibut, GHB / GBL).
And ofcourse there's always Opiates but I'd suggest that's more of a synergistic effect rather than actual potentiation.

Again though be very careful as to what doses you take!!!
Mixing CNS depressants is a dangerous bizniz and many people have died in such a way :\

I'm pretty sure barbiturates wouldn't be an ideal method to potentiate lorazepam; barbiturates have a higher receptor affinity than benzodiazepines do.

I would theorize that the barbiturate would over-take the subjective effects, and you wouldn't get any lorazepam euphoria.

Just my 2 cents.

All your other recommendations monstanoodle were good, especially the "be careful mixing CNS depressants" part. Thank you for warning people of the potentially deadly CNS depression that combining CNS depressants can yield.

I wouldn't prefer to mix ETOH with benzos just because I do not personally enjoy such a combination, though it would be pretty heavy synergism for sure.

^sipping on a nice tall ale or two with a nice benzo dose is damn enjoyable or a stiff whiskey, especially with a fine cigar on hand;) only small dose of each i recommend though. synergism can be extremely sedating and inhibitive, ending in bad things.

i also like mixing baclofen (which is gaba-b agonistic), synergies are quite pleasant all together (especially staggered in such a way), but again safe with doses as you're beginning to mix quite a few depressants once mixing alcohol, muscle relaxants and benzos.

ending in bad things.

Well put! More "bad things" can include:

*awaking beside strangers in your or their bed
*a killer hangover that wouldn't be present with the same dose of benzos or booze by itself
*retrograde amnesia (aka not remembering what you did with that person you woke up next to ;)**)
*and more!

** This can be a blessing in disguise though. Not remembering good sex, at its worst, will be disappointing. Not remembering bad sex is a blessing in disguise. =D

Pegasys Enzyme Link Explanation

Pegasus,

I have seen that link before (possibally by you) and i would just like to thank you for putting it up there. Anyways I know this has not much to do with lorazepam, but let me throw something in for people that don't know. Lorazepam does not have an active metabolite. So be careful in building your body chalk full of inactive metabolites. Also Im pretty sure pegasus must have posted this somewhere else instead. Actually now that I look down I see the quote kind of mentions that. So for all you people who wish to potentiate your drugs with liver metabolism I urge you to read the .pdf link at the bottom of the paper. A few things you should know. Substrate- This is the main drug that can either be induced by the certain enzyme (being cyp3a4) in this example or induced by the liver enzyme meaning that the 3a4 enzme is halted from production therefore letting the drug either last longer (the substrate) or get you higher, all depening on eith half life, active, inactive metabolite etc.
Inhibitor As I stated this before it stops the specific liver enzyme for being produced for a certain amount of time. Inducers These medicines will cause the substrate to be destroyed faster as the enzyme that is being induced breaks down the parent compound very fast.
Now let me put this all down in lamens form via example: The substrate would be alprazolam. Now this system uses the p450 3a4 enzymes. So you use say cimetidine (a potent cyp3a4 inhibitor), You will have a longer blood half life and it will keep the ACTIVE enzyme of alprazolam from being destroyed much too rapidly. Now say you take concurrently an inducer with alprazolam i.e. prednisone, it will cause the partent drug along with the active metabolite to be destroyed at a much faster rate.
One more note: The inhibitors in in the 3a4 system are most of the time stronger than the ones in plain font. The same with inducers (meaning they are stonger than their counter points. A substrate in paranthesis I belive either is affected harder by the inhibitors or inducers or I can be wrong, it might mean that they have active metabolites (Im not sure I didnt write the chart. One warning, try not to be eating bowls of tagamet for breakfast as you will damage your body, and I cant imagine that all of this liver magic could possibally be good for you. I usually use the p4503a4 system to make my opiods an certains benzos stronger (This is especially good with alprazolam because first off it has a short half life as it is, second if you smoke the alprazolam already is being cut down from the nicoteine.) Just remember guys taking a whole bunch of grapefruit juice, cimetidine, alprazolam, fentanyl , and alfentanyl is a suicide just waiting to take place . Any questions please email me at [email protected] ALso here is the original chart, not sure if it originated from pegasus or whomever before him, but I am not taking credit. Just trying to help people who might not understand this kind of thing.
Also, does anyone HAVE ANY INFO AT ALL on the enzyme systems of phenazepam?? Im having a hard time finding it but im kinda multasking.. If you can find the russian pharmacoepia you might find it there. Thank you for your time and dont forget your body is sacred, dont destroy your live so you can get an extra 15 minutes off your suboxone.
MAILTO QUESTIONS AND ANSWERD FROM sp0r:
[email protected]
[email protected] cricket.com <-- You can send a multi media message to my phone via this address if the txt will be 100 characters or more.
Send to this address if you have a showt question or answer ~ 60-80 character. I Ill reply as soon as I can. I love to help people out.
aim: dag109

GFJ/ cimetidine would not potentiate lorazepam, as CH said...
ps- Pegasys thanks for posting that chart it has helped ALOTl%)

Sorry, I coudlnt figure out how to get a pdf attachment on my post. But just search this and you shall find what your are looking for: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=1945&d=1111907182
sp0r