• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Edibles How to make edibles

I'm about to head out to buy 250g of butter to try to make this infused butter. I will bake in oven how it says at low temp cut up on either baking paper crumbled up (so it doesn't burn) or wrapped in foil how I saw in another video. Then I will cook it slowly in my mini slow cooker at low temp for 4 hours and stir hourly. Does that sound right?

Also until I bake any treats with them it might be a couple of days so it is okay to try the butter on bread or in coffee or some other way to see if it's medicated?

Thank you for your help.
I actually have made a tincture more than I have cooked with it. I use cooking oil instead of butter. I keep a bottle of it in the fridge and an eyedropperfull or two is what I dose. I likely use more oil than I need to ultimately because I'm cheap and want to get it all, so I'm not a good person to answer that question.
More full disclosure, I'm generally making a high CBD tincture with CBD bud in there as well as regular. It's the medicinal batch mostly for my lady.

I'm about to head out to buy 250g of butter to try to make this infused butter. I will bake in oven how it says at low temp cut up on either baking paper crumbled up (so it doesn't burn) or wrapped in foil how I saw in another video. Then I will cook it slowly in my mini slow cooker at low temp for 4 hours and stir hourly. Does that sound right?

Also until I bake any treats with them it might be a couple of days so it is okay to try the butter on bread or in coffee or some other way to see if it's medicated?

Thank you for your help.

You can simplify and compress that procedure. There's no need for a dedicated decarboxylation step. The heat when infusing butter is enough. 1-2 hours is enough (probably even less).

The heat is not a big issue. I've accidentally tried heating it a lot more than necessary, even to the point of some burning. It still works with no perceptible difference in potency.

No need to bake treats. Eating the butter straight is simpler and more flexible, and treats are better without weed flavor.

Good luck!

^^^^ Right. It's quicker. Its saves a lot of time to eat butter, olive oil, or cocoa. or like nestle's quick hot cocoa.

thnx

I'm not saying I'm lazy but it IS cutting corners and saving time exponentially.

Every once in a while a grow a wild pot hair and have an urge to and bake and make cake. 🍰

It's fire 🔥💚

cannabutter is great but if you're experimenting still i would go with the quick n dirty approach.

for that you just need a tablespoon, a tea candle and some olive oil. crumble in enough green to lay flat in the spoon, that should be a manageable dose for anyone. then pour olive oil into the spoon until the green is covered, light the tea candle and hold the spoon 3" above it until it starts to froth.

the froth should start slowly then pick up speed and eventually it will slow down. that is decarboxylation. when it slows down then the process is done and it's ready to eat... after straining, ideally...
So many good comments here I need to reply to so if I don't right away I will after I get home. I go to hire my CPAP machine today and trial the different types/masks with a view to purchasing my own after a month. I feel it's a boring appointment getting a sleep machine but it will hopefully help me so it's important I go.

I just wanted to say I did try this yesterday in a way. I didn't feel I could hold a spoon steady for as long as it might take to try this so I thought up trying an essential oil burner I had that cleans perfectly (ceramic and I washed it up and there was no residue) and it was about 3" above the flame that the part where you put the water and oil sat. I also had a metal (stainless steel?) one that I was going to try it with but it is literally decades old and was rusted and I didn't trust how clean I could get it as I couldn't get it very clean in the short time I tried. So I put about 1/2 a teaspoon of grinded flower in it with a small amount of avocado oil as I didn't have enough olive oil and lit it and waited. I couldn't see a reaction and I kept checking it every few minutes and sat with it for a full episode of a tv show so maybe about half an hour. I noticed it was beginning to smell nice and weed-like towards the end and test the oil temperature (not even half full - more like a quarter full of the chamber where you put the oil and water) and it wasn't very hot like burning but warm. I got sick of waiting so drained it off and drank it. It was such a small amount and so thick that that it wasn't even a teaspoon of oil that I could drain off. Maybe not even a quarter of a teaspoon. I don't know if it was using the avocado oil instead of olive oil or I was using too much but it didn't do much. I felt maybe a tiny bit of something but it could have even been placebo it was so subtle.

I probably didn't do it right but that was my experiment I tried yesterday. The amount of weed I used was minuscule. The pharmacy didn't call me back yesterday to confirm my email to them of my e-scripts so not sure what's going on. Hopefully they will phone today as they might only do the weed scripts on certain days given they are probably not "urgent".

Thank you for listening and the good tip.

I made the butter yesterday by decarbing in the oven first and then infusing it in butter in the mini slow cooker for 3 hours. I couldn't wait another hour. I haven't tried it properly yet except for about half a teaspoon but it was after I had eaten so it might not work as well then. The place smelt amazing with a lovely toasty herby warm smell and still does now. I took a photo of the end result this morning after it has been in the fridge all night and I strained it yesterday. Does this look right?

https://postimg.cc/HVW60qxG

I made the butter yesterday by decarbing in the oven first and then infusing it in butter in the mini slow cooker for 3 hours. I couldn't wait another hour. I haven't tried it properly yet except for about half a teaspoon but it was after I had eaten so it might not work as well then. The place smelt amazing with a lovely toasty herby warm smell and still does now. I took a photo of the end result this morning after it has been in the fridge all night and I strained it yesterday. Does this look right?

https://postimg.cc/HVW60qxG

It looks lovely!

My end-product normally is a lot darker, much more green.

Things also get really gross-looking when you decide you don't need no fancy schmancy clarified butter.

Yours looks delicious.

[1 thing to think about, though! And I'd actually really like if somebody could answer this definitively for me:

Once you refrigerate your weed butter, a lot of recipes will call for you to heat your butter before use. I've always been downright opposed to putting edibles in the microwave. I just have this weird superstition that the way a microwave works to heat things up will also be extremely effective at destroying all of the things that get you high.]

It looks lovely!

My end-product normally is a lot darker, much more green.

Things also get really gross-looking when you decide you don't need no fancy schmancy clarified butter.

Yours looks delicious.

[1 thing to think about, though! And I'd actually really like if somebody could answer this definitively for me:

Once you refrigerate your weed butter, a lot of recipes will call for you to heat your butter before use. I've always been downright opposed to putting edibles in the microwave. I just have this weird superstition that the way a microwave works to heat things up will also be extremely effective at destroying all of the things that get you high.]
Thank you! I was really proud of it. It's not as deep green as I thought it would be but it's only low strength (9% THC and 8.3% CBD) so whether that has an effect on the final colour or not I don't know. The weed that came off it was very dark brown after it had been drained off. The taste of the butter itself is lovely - almost like chocolate to me. I can't explain it. I figure I will just eat a teaspoon at a time as is considering the edibles are just flour and sugar and not the best for me anyway. You would maybe get around a teaspoon or so of butter per serve so at least I am eliminating the sugar and other carbs. I eat enough junk food and don't want more.

Yeah I don't want to put it in the microwave either really. It might destroy some part of though people use it to extract so who knows.

You could decarb in a toaster oven at 175-220F for maybe 90 minutes. There's a potency curve somewhere out there showing temp and time for maximum decarb.
Then a double boiler with 3.5g bud to 1stick butter.
Then cheesecloth in a mason jar with just the ring to hold th cheesecloth and filter, then pour into molds. Cool. Store the budder in the freezer cuz it will mold.

That's not what I do.
I crock pot low bud and butter on low for 3.5 hours. This decarbs and extract simultaneously.
Then filter in cheese cloth and pour into molds.
My molds are 2tbsp so that's 1/8 cup. Just know your measurments.
I don't do anymore than 4tbsp of budder in my brownies, cupcakes, cookies. For a mix in a box or bag. You may want stronger because some recipes call for 1 whole stick of butter and that would be 8tbsp. But that's up to you.

Then I saw mention of the magical butter machine. The crock pot method is pretty much the same, without the price tag of something you can only make budder with. A crock pot serves as something you can cook with too.

My rice krispy/fruity pebble treats/squares recipe.
3tbsp melted budder
40 large marshmallows melted into the melted budder (low low heat, you don't want to burn the marsh)
6cups cereal into the marshmallow budder mix.
Then pour into a 13"x9" pan with spray and let cool for time.
Eat what you couldn't get out of the pot you mixed everything in. Don't wanna waste it.

Then a double boiler with 3.5g bud to 1stick butter.
Then cheesecloth in a mason jar with just the ring to hold th cheesecloth and filter, then pour into molds. Cool. Store the budder in the freezer cuz it will mold.

If one uses the double boiler method like you suggest, one can do the decarb step in the same setup. The temp in the inner pan will be at exactly 212 F (100C) when it has stabilized because when water is at the phase boundary it will be at exactly at the boiling (or melting) point. This is the most accurate method using the least amount of "fancy" equipment. 👍

I used to calibrate lab and process equipment in the field using this very method.

If one uses the double boiler method like you suggest, one can do the decarb step in the same setup. The temp in the inner pan will be at exactly 212 F (100C) when it has stabilized because when water is at the phase boundary it will be at exactly at the boiling (or melting) point. This is the most accurate method using the least amount of "fancy" equipment. 👍

I used to calibrate lab and process equipment in the field using this very method.
But, isn't 212F just a little low? I seem to remember reading that decarb takes place at this temp, but takes many hours.

But, isn't 212F just a little low? I seem to remember reading that decarb takes place at this temp, but takes many hours.

This sounds like sous vide decarb! (I'm not an expert, I just looked up double broil decarb and found it had a name)

You're on the money, dude, it'll work but takes considerably longer.

This isn't exactly a double broil method but it's interesting.... Besides, I've never even heard of it until this thread so I won't pretend like I'm not just reading aloud from this page:

How to sous vide decarb​

Sous vide is a method of cooking that involves putting food in a sealed plastic bag, then cooking it at low temperatures in water heated by an electronic element. For decarbing purposes, you just replace the food with bud.

Directions:

1. Partially fill a pot with water, put on a level, heat resistant surface
  2. Attach immersion heat to the pot, submerging the heating element below the water line.
  3. Turn on immersion heater to heat water to 203° F
  4. Put bud in a plastic bag and remove all air from it before sealing
  5. Put bag of bud in the water for 90 minutes.
This method offers a great way to control exact temperature while containing the dank fumes. It does take an immersion heat that costs about $100, but once you have it, you can sous vide decarb without even having a stove.

Since water boils at 212° F, you are limited in your ability to decarb at higher, optimal temperatures. As a result, in order to get the most efficient decarb via sous vide method, you need to do it for a longer period of time. This lower temperature comes with the perk of preserving more aromatic terpenes but since you’re operating out of the ideal temperature range, you may create more oxidation.

This sounds like sous vide decarb! (I'm not an expert, I just looked up double broil decarb and found it had a name)

You're on the money, dude, it'll work but takes considerably longer.

This isn't exactly a double broil method but it's interesting.... Besides, I've never even heard of it until this thread so I won't pretend like I'm not just reading aloud from this page:

I saw that method when I was looking up how to do it. Looks interesting but would need special equipment to buy the bags and the sucker thing which was out of my budget.

I hope mine worked but don't see why it wouldn't. I set the oven at 110C then moved it to maybe 115-120C when I thought it was a bit low. Stirred every 10 minutes and roasted it on a baking tray on baking paper for about 40 minutes. Smelt wonderful while it was baking. Looked deeper in colour when finished but not burnt. Then I did the slow cooker. The butter wouldn't melt quick enough on slow setting so put it to high until it melted then turned it back and kept it in there stirring every hour for 3 hours.

Trouble is I am not a huge pot head. I want opiates now after having made poppy seed tea and I'm in a bad way mentally.