• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Edibles How to make edibles

anonymouse77

Bluelighter
I am prescribed flower (low dose of 9% THC and 8.3% CBD) and THC oil however I don't smoke enough of the flower to use it up in time before my repeats on my script runs out. It's almost been 6 months and it's about to run out of time that I can use the script but I still have a third left of my first 15g. I have one back up and I wanted to get another to try to make edibles with it. I saw a review online of this product where someone said they make them with this product.

Can anyone please explain how to do it for someone with no experience and no special equipment? I understand you have to decarb it first however after watching videos yesterday I'm more confused as I thought you did it in the oven but another video said to do it on the stove directly into the butter/oil. What is the best way to do it to get the most out of it (with limited experience). Even if I dry bake it in the oven - how do I then make it into a oil/fat?

Also someone asked in one of the comments if then baking the butter in edibles will alter the THC as it's at a higher temperature than you are meant to decarb it at. I'm confused and hoping someone can kindly help.

Thank you for reading.

Try to look up a recipe. But basically what you are doing is melting the thc into butter and it will turn green. You will have to watch the temp point.

You are blending the butter then making it into food or treats so it can be eaten and metabolized.

See if you can find a good post of a decent recipe. Sweets work good. Cake seems to work especially good.

You can also maybe buy edibles already pre-made.

It metabolizes much different than flower and vapes however. I like to burn weed and the aroma's too.

I hope that you can find a specific recipe. I have only used scraps and bulk leaves grated through a window screen

and a completely green stove and mega mess. So I am not really sure of any specific or precise measurements. Just left over stalks and

debris. I am just used to a vape pen for a power hit or two or three.

I mean good luck. I am sure you can bake the butter into a mini loaf somehow.

I just mostly try to learn something new everyday too.

Best Wishes. Baking can be fun with all of the various recipes too. K.

Try to look up a recipe. But basically what you are doing is melting the thc into butter and it will turn green. You will have to watch the temp point.

You are blending the butter then making it into food or treats so it can be eaten and metabolized.

See if you can find a good post of a decent recipe. Sweets work good. Cake seems to work especially good.

You can also maybe buy edibles already pre-made.

It metabolizes much different than flower and vapes however. I like to burn weed and the aroma's too.

I hope that you can find a specific recipe. I have only used scraps and bulk leaves grated through a window screen

and a completely green stove and mega mess. So I am not really sure of any specific or precise measurements. Just left over stalks and

debris. I am just used to a vape pen for a power hit or two or three.

I mean good luck. I am sure you can bake the butter into a mini loaf somehow.

I just mostly try to learn something new everyday too.

Best Wishes. Baking can be fun with all of the various recipes too. K.
Thank you for your reply. I am not a great cook but I think I can make basic cookies, cake or brownies once I get the butter made. It will just be making the butter that I want to get right. So if I bake it in the oven on a baking tray for the required time, do I just heat butter and mix the dried flower in and then drain the flower off? I don't want to heat the butter too high and ruin it.

More incoming
Thank you so much! Reading now. The other thing I read in a comment was someone saying they heat a small amount of flower in a small amount of oil in the microwave and drink/eat the oil and it gets them high for 5 hours. I was thinking of trying this with a small amount to see if that works also. Rather than risk ruining a larger amount.

Thank you so much! Reading now. The other thing I read in a comment was someone saying they heat a small amount of flower in a small amount of oil in the microwave and drink/eat the oil and it gets them high for 5 hours. I was thinking of trying this with a small amount to see if that works also. Rather than risk ruining a larger amount.

There are many stovetop recipes available but this gets the job done with sauce pots and mason jars.

I wouldn't recommend using the microwave. It's too volatile and easy to fuck up.

It's a great desperation option for single-serve edibles but not ideal for several sticks of butter.

If you're serious, I'd look into the magical butter machine. It's got a hefty price tag but makes at-home edibles for people like you and me the easiest thing ever (and it's not just limited to butter!)

I do have a mini slow cooker I could use for infusing the decarbed flower into butter. I think that might be better than using the stovetop as my oven is electric and it's hard to control the temperature very quickly with it.

There are many stovetop recipes available but this gets the job done with sauce pots and mason jars.

I wouldn't recommend using the microwave. It's too volatile and easy to fuck up.

It's a great desperation option for single-serve edibles but not ideal for several sticks of butter.

If you're serious, I'd look into the magical butter machine. It's got a hefty price tag but makes at-home edibles for people like you and me the easiest thing ever (and it's not just limited to butter!)

Thank you again! That is great info. The machine might be out of my budget right now but it looks handy. I will have to buy mason jars. Do they have to be a special type? One video I watched last night said the inner lid thing needed to be a special type to seal it airtight. Can I pick them up at like kmart australia (or big w) do you know?

I do have a mini slow cooker I could use for infusing the decarbed flower into butter. I think that might be better than using the stovetop as my oven is electric and it's hard to control the temperature very quickly with it.
Slowcookers are indeed a better option than stovetop. The key with butter is low heat, long cook time and-- if possible-- constant stirring

I do want to say I've barely scratched the surface as far as cooking with pot goes. I know a bit but I'm sure that someone a bit more experienced might chime in here eventually

Just regular mason jars should do. No need for special shapes and lids.

The kmart mason jars say:
  • Hermetically sealing lid for airtight preserving with seal made of a rubber material which prolongs freshness of food
Will that be bad for the oven? I imagine rubber not good. Could the slow cooker be better as I would rather not have to buy additional equipment right now due to financial embarrassment.

Slowcookers are indeed a better option than stovetop. The key with butter is low heat, long cook time and-- if possible-- constant stirring

I do want to say I've barely scratched the surface as far as cooking with pot goes. I know a bit but I'm sure that someone a bit more experienced might chime in here eventually
Okay thank you! So doing it in the slow cooker - do you still have to decarb it in the oven first or the slow cooker is enough? I am just confused about if that's still necessary. Sorry for the stupid question.

Thank you for your reply. I am not a great cook but I think I can make basic cookies, cake or brownies once I get the butter made. It will just be making the butter that I want to get right. So if I bake it in the oven on a baking tray for the required time, do I just heat butter and mix the dried flower in and then drain the flower off? I don't want to heat the butter too high and ruin it.
I'm sorry I didn't see your quote at first. Too busy reading yummy recipes. drool.

But no, we used to just make up our own recipe and make stove butter from excess. But that's all. Oh and it works and is very potent.

So basically we were making stove top butter with excess from shake to get rid of it.

But that was all. I myself personally don't cook my buds that often or at all really. It was just all about having fun with scrap kind of.

I hope your recipe works though. The recipes can be ridiculously potent as edibles. Omg.

Okay thank you! So doing it in the slow cooker - do you still have to decarb it in the oven first or the slow cooker is enough? I am just confused about if that's still necessary. Sorry for the stupid question.

No stupid questions when time and money are involved.

Absolutely decarb! I know it sounds stupid. It did to me and initially I said "Fuck burning my weed in the oven first! .....it's gonna get hot when it cooks anyways, right?" and ended up with cookies that barely tickled the back of my eyes. The lower the temperature the better, as you're not trying to burn your weed at all-- you want to keep an eye on it and once it goes from it's standard green to a golden/amber color, you're good to go. It can get darker, but the longer you let it go the more the chemicals are going to change, and I can't explain exactly what happens but your end result will be a very slow and stony, couch-locked sort of high regardless of what you may've started out with.

I use 210 in a decarbox from the magical butter machine for 25-35min, just watching for that golden color based on temp readings. When I followed the product's suggested times I always ended up with a very dark decarb'd mixture that just put me right to sleep in the first batches of brownies that I made. Like instant coma, it was nice but not what I wanted.

Now I follow recipes to the T and make snickerdoodles that'll send you to space.

Last edited:
No stupid questions when time and money are involved.

Absolutely decarb! I know it sounds stupid. It did to me and initially I said "Fuck burning my weed in the oven first! .....it's gonna get hot when it cooks anyways, right?" and ended up with cookies that barely tickled the back of my eyes. The lower the temperature the better, as you're not trying to burn your weed at all-- you want to keep an eye on it and once it goes from it's standard green to a golden/amber color, you're good to go. It can get darker, but the longer you let it go the more the chemicals are going to change, and I can't explain exactly what happens but your end result will be a very slow and stony, couch-locked sort of high regardless of what you may've started out with.

I use 210 in a decarbox from the magical butter machine for 25-35min, just watching for that golden color based on temp readings. When I followed the product's suggested times I always ended up with a very dark decarb'd mixture that just put me right to sleep in the first batches of brownies that I made. Like instant coma, it was nice but not what I wanted.

Now I follow recipes to the T and make snickerdoodles that'll send you to space.

Thank you - that's awesome to know. Great info! I learnt some things which is the longer you bake it the more the CBD comes out as it takes longer to change or convert and also the dryer the flower is to begin with the shorter the time it will need. Given mine is a THC/CBD blend I would want the CBD effects to come out as there is a bit there but also it is dryer so not sure whether to do a shorter cook time. The sleepy stone sounds good tbh. Could use it as a sleeping aid. Though I can understand it's not what you are after. I think I want the CBD effects more also as I hear they can alleviate the anxiety that THC can cause as I sometimes get that. Which is why I don't smoke a lot of it as I'm a lightweight and get panic attacks and get fixated on dying which freaks me out even though I tend to suicidal ideation.

Thank you - that's awesome to know. Great info! I learnt some things which is the longer you bake it the more the CBD comes out as it takes longer to change or convert and also the dryer the flower is to begin with the shorter the time it will need. Given mine is a THC/CBD blend I would want the CBD effects to come out as there is a bit there but also it is dryer so not sure whether to do a shorter cook time. The sleepy stone sounds good tbh. Could use it as a sleeping aid. Though I can understand it's not what you are after. I think I want the CBD effects more also as I hear they can alleviate the anxiety that THC can cause as I sometimes get that. Which is why I don't smoke a lot of it as I'm a lightweight and get panic attacks and get fixated on dying which freaks me out even though I tend to suicidal ideation.
I like to be alert most of the time! My goal is to quit rattling thoughts and be able to focus at tasks at hand.

Those stony cookies have their place, you just gotta be able to anticipate the effects.

The best game changer for decarb is to get an oven thermometer. Electric ovens can vary quite a bit in temperature. Then, preheat and get it to a stable, dependable, 240F and bake for 25 minutes.

Then, put it in a mason jar with oil or butter and set that in boiling water for a long time to extract. That will top off the decarb a little as well. Safely, since boiling water won't go over 212F.

Then, I get most of the butter/oil out, put a little more in and then bake the mason jar for a while at a higher temp (say, 270F or a little more). When the pot is in oil, you can't burn it per se, but you can change cannabinoids to CBN and the like. You do want the higher temp to convert CBD, but I get most done and out at a lower temp and finish off at the higher one with more oil.

Most important. Get an oven thermometer. They're cheap.

The best game changer for decarb is to get an oven thermometer. Electric ovens can vary quite a bit in temperature. Then, preheat and get it to a stable, dependable, 240F and bake for 25 minutes.

Then, put it in a mason jar with oil or butter and set that in boiling water for a long time to extract. That will top off the decarb a little as well. Safely, since boiling water won't go over 212F.

Then, I get most of the butter/oil out, put a little more in and then bake the mason jar for a while at a higher temp (say, 270F or a little more). When the pot is in oil, you can't burn it per se, but you can change cannabinoids to CBN and the like. You do want the higher temp to convert CBD, but I get most done and out at a lower temp and finish off at the higher one with more oil.

Most important. Get an oven thermometer. They're cheap.
Thank you so much for the great advice! I did see one tutorial where he used an oven thermometer and meant to look them up for prices so thanks for reminding me. I will add one to my wishlist.

The other question is how much flower to use with how much butter? Say I buy 250g butter (I think that might be 2 sticks in America) - would 15g of weed (I think that's half an ounce) be too much flower to infuse in that much butter?

My script for the weed (this is my first) only lasts 6 months and it's about to expire early next month. I haven't had the full amount of repeats you can get on it (6) so I am wondering if I should repurchase the THC oil, flower and also CBD oil. It's going to be expensive so I need to decide but it will be more expensive to make more appointments with the clinic and get more scripts. Also from the flower I can hopefully make this butter and make edibles as I am not a big smoker. Please will someone tell me what amount of flower to try for this first go to turn into edibles and what quantity of butter to infuse with it?

Thank you!

I'm about to head out to buy 250g of butter to try to make this infused butter. I will bake in oven how it says at low temp cut up on either baking paper crumbled up (so it doesn't burn) or wrapped in foil how I saw in another video. Then I will cook it slowly in my mini slow cooker at low temp for 4 hours and stir hourly. Does that sound right?

Also until I bake any treats with them it might be a couple of days so it is okay to try the butter on bread or in coffee or some other way to see if it's medicated?

Thank you for your help.

Also from the flower I can hopefully make this butter and make edibles as I am not a big smoker. Please will someone tell me what amount of flower to try for this first go to turn into edibles and what quantity of butter to infuse with it?

cannabutter is great but if you're experimenting still i would go with the quick n dirty approach.

for that you just need a tablespoon, a tea candle and some olive oil. crumble in enough green to lay flat in the spoon, that should be a manageable dose for anyone. then pour olive oil into the spoon until the green is covered, light the tea candle and hold the spoon 3" above it until it starts to froth.

the froth should start slowly then pick up speed and eventually it will slow down. that is decarboxylation. when it slows down then the process is done and it's ready to eat... after straining, ideally...