How to help a friend suffering from psychosis?

stardust10

Bluelighter
My best friend was kicked out of her boyfriends place two days ago so she came to mine untill she can get somewhere to stay. I care about her very much and am really worried about her. She has been up for two days straight and nothing will calm her down. She is taking her new medication (qutiapine)
But still hasn't slept and she keeps on getting hysterical crying/shouting etc saying people are going to come and stab our eyes out etc. Constantly for two days she hasn't calmed down so I took her to her Dr and now we're at the crisis team.

That was earlier now she's here to stay. Diazepam has helped but she keeps on going round in circles still. Any tips on dealing/helping with anyone who is in this state?
Thanks

Can you get a better antipsychotic like zyprexa or since this is a emergencey even haldol? I went through psychosis and it is indeed a medical emergencey cause it is terrifying. She needs a antipsychotic that works good (seroquel is shit for emergencies and in general imo) and a benzo. That way she can sleep it off and come back to reality

Can you get a better antipsychotic like zyprexa or since this is a emergencey even haldol? I went through psychosis and it is indeed a medical emergencey cause it is terrifying. She needs a antipsychotic that works good (seroquel is shit for emergencies and in general imo) and a benzo. That way she can sleep it off and come back to reality
Qutiapine only but she's had 10mg diazepam and calmed down (a bit) now and managed to get something to eat in to us. It's Borderline personality disorder related. Also have zopiclone which will hopefully work so she can get some sleep.
Thanks for advice.
Any other tips on what to say/not to say to encourage against thought-loops etc would be appreciated if anyone knows thank u

Qutiapine only but she's had 10mg diazepam and calmed down (a bit) now and managed to get something to eat in to us. It's Borderline personality disorder related. Also have zopiclone which will hopefully work so she can get some sleep.
Thanks for advice.
Any other tips on what to say/not to say to encourage against thought-loops etc would be appreciated if anyone knows thank u

Seroquel sucked for me and alot of other people i know in helping psychosis. The antipsychotic effects also take awile to kick in. The valium and zopiclone will help to. I didnt sleep during psychosis either and stoppd taking all my meds even benzos and opiates

to be good company they can trust for whatever recovery, protect your boundaries and state your needs and emotions with honest immediay.
The less there is space to ambiguity, the better. Take initiative about it when you feel certain about it.
But keep responsive to objections.

Last edited:
All good advice in this thread.

OP, thank you for helping your friend get professional help. As I'm sure you know by now, these types of things can be extremely difficult to deal with without a doctor or therapist to lean on. The good thing is that your friend even allowed you to take her to the doctor consider many folks in psychosis also tend to have a bit of denial, especially when it's their first time. Luckily she didn't refuse treatment.

Like paranoid android said, sometimes it takes Quetiapine some time to kick in. If it continues not working or if she decompensates further, please take her back to the dr if she allows it and see if she can ask for a change in dose or a different medication.

Also, as stated by Pissed and Messed, setting rigid boundaries and responding from a place of empathy can help a lot. If she doesn't already have one, maybe consider suggesting she also visit a therapist. Therapists do not prescribe medication but can be really good at keeping tabs on a situation and depending on their schedule, can even set up appointments once a week until the crisis has settled down. Even though therapists do not prescribe meds, they can help a patient obtain insight so that they will know when psychosis is coming on and seek help from a psychiatrist for meds. They can also usually connect the patient directly to a psychiatrist so you as her friend don't have to shoulder that responsibility either.

Keep up the great work and let us know how she does <3

My best friend was kicked out of her boyfriends place two days ago so she came to mine untill she can get somewhere to stay. I care about her very much and am really worried about her. She has been up for two days straight and nothing will calm her down. She is taking her new medication (qutiapine)
But still hasn't slept and she keeps on getting hysterical crying/shouting etc saying people are going to come and stab our eyes out etc. Constantly for two days she hasn't calmed down so I took her to her Dr and now we're at the crisis team.

That was earlier now she's here to stay. Diazepam has helped but she keeps on going round in circles still. Any tips on dealing/helping with anyone who is in this state?
Thanks
I agree with what paranoid android said it’s good to get a stronger anti psychotic like zyprexa or a benzo like Valium, one thing that’s worth mentioning is that you should be there with your friend at appointments or the hospital if you can if they offer her long acting injectable anti psychotics do not take them, they come with a cascade of side effects that creates a slew of other mental health problems stick to the pills and avoid the injections at all costs.

Get them to the hospital.
Not as straight forward as that mate. Apparently she has capacity. I dragged her into a taxi to the mental health centre that she already is being seen at. She's been in hospital before.

Thanks everyone not got a minute to really respond atm properly. But appreciate you all

Just wanted to share a quick story from a few years ago....

A friend of mine had schizophrenia and he was well aware of it but he didn't take his meds consistently and he also smoked weed, drank liquor, and dabbled in meth and coke. He was always more or less in a psychotic state.

One day he was telling me about what "they" were saying. "They" always meant the voices in his head.

I said "You know those voices aren't real, right?"
He responded "Yeah, but I listen anyway. Sometimes they give me good advice."

That has always stuck with me.

Quick update as it's took me a while to feel able to talk about it as had to recover a bit. I'm very upset and worried about my pal. She ended up getting more paranoid and left my place and blocked my number. I still have all her stuff here. I've tried phoning her from a friend's phone as soon as she hears my voice she hangs up and/or blocks the number but my friend said they seen her and tried to take her to hospital (she had already been once before that in the week after leaving mine) and they keep turning her away when folk try and take her there. Same as when I took her to her psychiatric nurses - they said she has capacity but wtf she needs help it's obvious!! She doesn't have anyone really it was just chance they bumped in to her in the street but they said she's covered in bruises up and down her arms and she said the police did it (probably man-handling her 🙁) she also said I stole all her belongings. I really wish I could help in some way. Today I'm gonna try and get in touch with her support workers and ask wtf they are doing etc. I was angry for a second just had to recover from the week when she was here as it was heavy going not gonna lie but I really do care about her and I don't understand why her care team aren't fucking helping her!!

Thanks
She going around circle looks like akathisia to me, common side-effect of antipsyhotics. With talking to her I would try to get deeply into her psyche and understand core of her delusions and try to destroy them with factual and objective approach, but for that you need to first earn her trust. People with delusions tend to believe stuff more easily and base their views around their opinions instead of facts, you should try to make her not believe stuff so easily and that she should have more factual approach. Delusional people also tend to notice patterns because they could think those are important because of their belief system that is formed too easily. Those people also tend to believe and rely on so called "intuition" more than on common sense, you should teach her that intuition is never to be trusted because "intuition" could just be wild imagination or guesswork infused with person's beliefs.
She might tell you lot of stuff that sounds like nosence but all should lead to the core cause, you should be patient and try help her cleanup her bad belief system and get based on facts.

Quick update: I got to go see my friend tonight in the hospital. She is in the right place for now the nurses are pissed off with her can tell, and being really "firm" - threatened to cancel our visit etc because she is suffering from paranoid delusions thinking they are out to get her etc. She is just pissed off cause she can't get a cigarette. She isn't really eating that well either she says and making herself be sick 😔
They have diagnosed her with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. I'm just glad she's at least safe there. Taking her in some toiletries and stuff tomorrow. I really hope she will feel better soon so she can get out of there and back to herself again. Has anyone here had a similar experience and does it just depend how long it takes to get back to your old self?

Quick update: I got to go see my friend tonight in the hospital. She is in the right place for now the nurses are pissed off with her can tell, and being really "firm" - threatened to cancel our visit etc because she is suffering from paranoid delusions thinking they are out to get her etc. She is just pissed off cause she can't get a cigarette. She isn't really eating that well either she says and making herself be sick 😔
They have diagnosed her with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. I'm just glad she's at least safe there. Taking her in some toiletries and stuff tomorrow. I really hope she will feel better soon so she can get out of there and back to herself again. Has anyone here had a similar experience and does it just depend how long it takes to get back to your old self?
Meds should be temporal "solution". She could resolve her delusions within few days or hours with a good therapist. But It can take up to few years to recover from damage and changes that meds do.
Keep in mind taking meds will cause long lasting mostly severe side-effects(that last for long even after stopping meds with slow tapering) that can be anhedonia, depression, numbness of emotion and feelings, apathy, insomnia, arrhythmia, TD, akathisia, any many more.
Those side-effects will cause a change on a person, you can not imagine what person could be going through. Constantly going through severe pain and suffering, changes people.

Meds should be temporal "solution". She could resolve her delusions within few days or hours with a good therapist. But It can take up to few years to recover from damage and changes that meds do.
While I agree that meds can usually be a temporary solution, I don't think the best therapist in the world can resolve someone's delusions in a few hours or days. They will have to chip away not only at the current symptoms but what is causing the symptoms in the first place. If someone is really deep into their delusions, it could takes weeks or months to build enough trust with a therapist just to open up and share their problems with them. I'm not saying it's a lost cause, just that it isn't always as cut an dry as sitting in a chair for a few sessions and bam, delusions cured!
Keep in mind taking meds will cause long lasting mostly severe side-effects(that last for long even after stopping meds with slow tapering) that can be anhedonia, depression, numbness of emotion and feelings, apathy, insomnia, arrhythmia, TD, akathisia, any many more.
Those side-effects will cause a change on a person, you can not imagine what person could be going through. Constantly going through severe pain and suffering, changes people.
Like I said, I agree that meds as a temporary intervention is ideal but I honestly think you are exaggerating a bit here. Not ALL meds cause the side effects you listed and most will not cause the entire list. While the side effects of SOME meds will change a person, not all of the side effects listed are guaranteed to occur.

When I first experienced psychosis, they hit me with Seroquel aka Quetiapine. The only major side effect I got was lethargy; it made me tired all day. I complained about this to my doctor and he took me off it. But apparently for the short amount of time I was on it, it worked.

It sounds like you might be projecting the Invega experience with all other psych meds and antipsychotics. While Invega, Risperdal, and Abilify injections are the worst drugs one can be prescribed, there are others that are not as harsh.

@stardust10 Thank you for being there to support your friend. Having allies is crucial for the recovery of individuals experiencing these ailments. Being alone and feeling outcast seems to exacerbate things whether they realize it at the time or not.

Yes, your friend needs to try to have a say in her own treatment plan although this can be difficult if she doesn't have much insight. Also, as has been mentioned here and in other threads, long acting injectable medications like Invega or Risperdal or Abilify do greatly increase the risk of activating one, some, or even all of the side effects listed above. If your friend *must* be prescribed something in order to make a clean exit from the hospital, meds in pill form (other than Invega) are the best way to go. I've taken Risperdal pills and they were nothing like Risperdal injections. I've been on Abilify pills for like 15 years and have had relatively zero side effects. Of course, these are all subjective experiences because each person reacts differently to each medication. But I think we can ALL agree that the injectable forms are indeed the worst.

If she wants to spend the least amount of time there possible, she needs to unfortunately play by their rules doing things like attending group therapy and any classes they offer, eating all her meals, showering regularly, and generally not being a nuisance to the nurses, staff, and other patients. Deviating from these simple actions could potentially create a situation where they keep her for weeks or months as well as placing her on court order where she is forcefully given meds, usually in the form of injections that have already been mentioned here.

All of these things I speak of are from personal experience. I've been the one refusing meds, not eating, not showering, and not doing anything to demonstrate I wanted to "get better". I've been ordered by a court to remain locked up for several months and during that time was forcefully injected, which gave me many of those side effects and it did change me. I've also been inside psych wards and took the pills, ate the food, showered at least once over couple of days, and attended group and classes and they kept me there no longer than a week. Most of this occurred some 18-20 years ago but yeah, sometimes playing by their rules is the only way out.

You know truly, I really wish it's forever been my own predominating personal delusional fantastical ideology

That I could say.., she's in safe hands!

While I agree that meds can usually be a temporary solution, I don't think the best therapist in the world can resolve someone's delusions in a few hours or days. They will have to chip away not only at the current symptoms but what is causing the symptoms in the first place. If someone is really deep into their delusions, it could takes weeks or months to build enough trust with a therapist just to open up and share their problems with them. I'm not saying it's a lost cause, just that it isn't always as cut an dry as sitting in a chair for a few sessions and bam, delusions cured!

Like I said, I agree that meds as a temporary intervention is ideal but I honestly think you are exaggerating a bit here. Not ALL meds cause the side effects you listed and most will not cause the entire list. While the side effects of SOME meds will change a person, not all of the side effects listed are guaranteed to occur.

When I first experienced psychosis, they hit me with Seroquel aka Quetiapine. The only major side effect I got was lethargy; it made me tired all day. I complained about this to my doctor and he took me off it. But apparently for the short amount of time I was on it, it worked.

It sounds like you might be projecting the Invega experience with all other psych meds and antipsychotics. While Invega, Risperdal, and Abilify injections are the worst drugs one can be prescribed, there are others that are not as harsh.

@stardust10 Thank you for being there to support your friend. Having allies is crucial for the recovery of individuals experiencing these ailments. Being alone and feeling outcast seems to exacerbate things whether they realize it at the time or not.

Yes, your friend needs to try to have a say in her own treatment plan although this can be difficult if she doesn't have much insight. Also, as has been mentioned here and in other threads, long acting injectable medications like Invega or Risperdal or Abilify do greatly increase the risk of activating one, some, or even all of the side effects listed above. If your friend *must* be prescribed something in order to make a clean exit from the hospital, meds in pill form (other than Invega) are the best way to go. I've taken Risperdal pills and they were nothing like Risperdal injections. I've been on Abilify pills for like 15 years and have had relatively zero side effects. Of course, these are all subjective experiences because each person reacts differently to each medication. But I think we can ALL agree that the injectable forms are indeed the worst.

If she wants to spend the least amount of time there possible, she needs to unfortunately play by their rules doing things like attending group therapy and any classes they offer, eating all her meals, showering regularly, and generally not being a nuisance to the nurses, staff, and other patients. Deviating from these simple actions could potentially create a situation where they keep her for weeks or months as well as placing her on court order where she is forcefully given meds, usually in the form of injections that have already been mentioned here.

All of these things I speak of are from personal experience. I've been the one refusing meds, not eating, not showering, and not doing anything to demonstrate I wanted to "get better". I've been ordered by a court to remain locked up for several months and during that time was forcefully injected, which gave me many of those side effects and it did change me. I've also been inside psych wards and took the pills, ate the food, showered at least once over couple of days, and attended group and classes and they kept me there no longer than a week. Most of this occurred some 18-20 years ago but yeah, sometimes playing by their rules is the only way out.
That is why I put word "can", meaning that most of antipsyhotic meds given to paranoid people(from what I know they get strong antipsyhotics) will cause those, and of course side-effects have levels. Side-effects can get progressively worse longer someone takes antipsyhotics.

I refrained from using word antipsyhotics so I just said meds.

Noone belongs in those horrible places imo. Most cases of psychosis can be treated with a dose of zyprexa or haldol anyway. Locking people up is a really lazy way of treating mental illness and it is barbaric. The nurses fucking hated me in the psych ward to because i would always beat on security guards lol. Tell her to just smoke in the psych ward anyway i did.

Noone belongs in those horrible places imo. Most cases of psychosis can be treated with a dose of zyprexa or haldol anyway. Locking people up is a really lazy way of treating mental illness and it is barbaric. The nurses fucking hated me in the psych ward to because i would always beat on security guards lol. Tell her to just smoke in the psych ward anyway i did.
Well she's at mine now they let her out WITHOUT her meds like wtf!! 😵‍💫🙁 So what was the point in having her there to basically chuck her out after a week still psychotic and without meds!? I'm so frustrated. It's the weekend housing isn't open til monday and she's not got a house to go to still. Police dropped her off here and left her and that was it. So now all my plans are on hold again cause the shitty system is stupid and total SHITE!!!

Last edited: