• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How to get the last 0.1g of hash oil/wax out of the container?

Captain.Heroin

Bluelight Crew
This is a question to all of you oil heads (pronounced:errl-heads) out there in your neck of the woods....

What is the best way to get the last 0.1g of oil/wax out of the plastic/glass container that it comes in? I know there's a way to do it, I know you all have been doing this just as long as I have, so tell me please, and I can start pinching pennies even moreso.

Thank you,

The Captain

(pictures to come, and possibly a video)

picture: (it's real big, nothing particularly un-safe for work assuming your work is 420-friendly)

NSFW:
D72le9u.jpg

Bonus points if it involves solvents I have on hand, such as benzyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, propylene glycol, water, white/distilled vinegar (4% acetic acid).

Last edited:
You can put the container in a bath of warm or hot water to get the oil to accumulate in one spot, then scrape it all up easily.

You can put the container in a bath of warm or hot water to get the oil to accumulate in one spot, then scrape it all up easily.

Really? Hot water? In the material? I'm thinking a solvent would work better, no?

I want to hear a lot of responses before I do anything; I would hate to end up wasting this delicious, amazing wax. It's simply too good to waste even one single hit of it.

Really? Hot water? In the material? I'm thinking a solvent would work better, no?

No no no. Don't get water in your oil container. Heated water is used to raise the temp of the oil enough so that it goes semi-liquid again. Same thing as if you were making the oil yourself and wanted to purge the butane out.

NSFW:
ubbthreads.php

No no no. Don't get water in your oil container. Heated water is used to raise the temp of the oil enough so that it goes semi-liquid again. Same thing as if you were making the oil yourself and wanted to purge the butane out.

NSFW:
ubbthreads.php

OH YUSSS...that's what I had in mind as I was reading your post. That makes a bunch, a bunch more sense.

I'm high guys, sorry. ;)

OK so I got the hang of how to do this. Will possibly make a little guide for the people like me who could have benefitted from a "how-to".

220px-Can-in-can_steaming.svg.png

Key:

can 1 = container of wax/hash oil, and the contents within; nothing more, nothing less
food = the wax I'm trying to get together
can 2 = the pot of water boiling or whatever hot water

Am I right?

I'll have to avoid getting water into the container, so should I leave the lid on really tight?

Is there a more efficient way of doing this, that maybe isn't so tedious?

Other methods / input are welcome and appreciated in the fullest sense. <3

That's pretty much it.

Due to the size of the container, if you use a shot glass with a weight in the bottom to keep it at the bottom of the pot with the water line below the top of the shot glass, you can rest the closed container on top of it (make sure to keep it closed tight to avoid moisture leaking through). You only need to simmer the water and leave the container there for a minute or 2 and it'll be hot enough.

Just be careful not to burn yourself on the steam.

That's pretty much it.

Due to the size of the container, if you use a shot glass with a weight in the bottom to keep it at the bottom of the pot with the water line below the top of the shot glass, you can rest the closed container on top of it (make sure to keep it closed tight to avoid moisture leaking through). You only need to simmer the water and leave the container there for a minute or 2 and it'll be hot enough.

Just be careful not to burn yourself on the steam.

For some reason I'm reading this and I get this far into it...

Due to the size of the container, if you use a shot glass with a weight in the bottom to keep it at the bottom of the pot with the water line below the top of the shot glass,

...and I'm thinking, I have no idea how to mentally picture/envision this, and I would need an instructional video.

Maybe I'm too high for my own good, maybe I'm just not rubbing the right brain cells together, but I'll try reading your advice again in a bit after some rest, see if that helps.

But the important part is it only needs a minute or two; as I thought, and this will be much easier knowing this. I won't burn myself on the steam, I cook for myself (believe it or not!!!!!!) so I know how to avoid steam, etc. If something has a lid/is collecting steam, I have to be very careful opening it. Seems almost self-explanatory, then I think back to a few years ago when I first started cooking for myself 8( haha

All you need to do is make sure the shot glass is going to touch the bottom of the pan, with your container on top, and be heavy enough so that it doesn't move while the water is simmering.

I'd draw up something but I'm terrible at that.

You can use ISO and do a wash. If you wash it and there is only .1, it may not be worth it. But, after seeing your picture I would definitely say put the container of oil in a little hot water until, it gets soft and workable. While it is hot you should be able to pour the oil into an easier container to work with. What do you use for a dabber? Most dabbers can remove the last of the wax from a container.

1. First, pop the stuff in a freezer (colder the better) for about 10 minutes to an hour - until it gets really frosty cold. Then scrape it with a flat-head screw driver or some other square, flat edge, that can chip the goodies off the glass. Careful - frozen wax is brittle, unlike room temperature wax. (You can use this to your advantage by collecting the wax fragments on a sheet of paper and then combining them in a big pile before they get sticky again.)

2. Warm your wax back up to room temp. Use a minimum amount of rubbing alcohol, acetone, or naptha to dissolve the stubborn remainder. You can gently pre-warm the solvent for 15 mins on a warm water bath (50C max, no open flames) to help increase its dissolving power.

3. Dump the solution onto herb, or into a smaller and more accessible container. Let it evaporate well. Acetone and naptha will evaporate faster than isopropanol.

Depending on how much wax is left and the shape of the container, it may not be a smart idea to melt it. It's certainly not a good idea to try and scrape it out when it's molten. Chances are good the wax will smear and stick to glass, and then you'll get wax fucking everywhere as it turns into a stringy, goopy mess (think honey or fondue). It doesn't really flow or pour until it gets quite hot. (And also, Mason jars do not have bottoms that come to a point).

Clarke's index reports -
Δ9-THC binds readily to glass and plastic, reducing recoveries during analytical procedures. Δ9-THC adsorption can be minimised with storage of solutions in amber silylated glassware and by maintenance of the compound in a basic solution or organic solvent.

Since most people don't have the capacity to silylate* their glass (with e.g. methylchlorosilanes) given the toxicity of the chemicals, best to use solvent to ensure you get it all.

* Typical glass has e.g. Si-O-Si-O links that make up its structure. When these links terminate in unmodified glass, they end in polar hydroxyl groups. Reagents like dichlorodimethylsilane react with these groups to make an additional Si-O-Si linkage, that terminates with nonpolar methyl groups, like the ones in silicone, instead. This makes the glass hydrophobic, decreasing adhesion of inorganic crap not removed by solvents, and making water 'bead' and roll off the surface.

Last edited:
I've always found with a little bit of heat (sometimes even just a lighter underneath the container being careful not to burn/melt the container, especially if it's plastic) and a good dabber, I can get almost all the wax out my containers. Usually I just leave that .1 or whatever in there for a day when i'm out of wax and i can scrape a little together.

Another good way to avoid this altogether is to get shatter that's stable on wax paper! you won't waste a single milligram ;)

Lol that should work. If your having trouble getting the bottom of containers, titanium dabbers are useful... Should come right out with just a bit of heat.

I just use a flexible razor blade to get the last of the oil out of the pot, works like a charm

I buy hash oil in a small 3ml amber vial; can you use the same technique as described above?
Yes, for a amber vile I would get some warm water and place the sealed vile in the water for a few seconds/min depending on temp. Then you should be able to pour it out with ease. I do not know if your making it (says bought) but, I would advise the person to not use vials. If it is a collective go elsewhere. Besides, for an oil to be in a vial it has to be a pretty poor consistency. Generally, cooked way to hot. The best way for you to use it is stick a paperclip or dabber into the oil and use heat to melt it off the tool and place directly onto the bowl (or anyway you use it, i assume not dab since your wondering how to use it)

Bho from containers

Hello,

I stumbled on this page when looking for a container for my bho stockpile. Over the last 10 years I have made alot of bho and lost alot of it due to it being left in my container. I have found that if you put it in the freezer or refrigerator the wax will turn into a hard glassy looking material and will scrape, shatter and come right off almost any container. The container must be cold for it to work and you have to work fast because as the container starts to warm up from you touching it the wax will quickly turn back into a sticky mess. I hope this helps it has worked for me over the last few years when it comes down to getting that last bit of goodness from the containers.
5-10 minutes in the freezer will get it hard enough to get out of the container with a far higher success rate and not having to break down the wax by using solvents.

Sincerely, Urban

When I'm desperate I'll carefully bend a metal paperclip, heat up the scraping part of it, and then, uh, scrape the wax out. I can usually get nearly everything this way.

Otherwise I soak container in 99% Isopropyl Alcohol for a while, let wax absorb, pour alcohol onto a round plate/bowl, evaporate the alcohol and scrape the wax up.

THanks for the excellent info sekio !

I am onto shatter now (a bit easier to separate from glass/plastic)