• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How strong is Xanax 1mg compared to Valium 5mg?

MrsGamp

Bluelighter
I know Xanax is stronger .. But not sure how much is roughly equivalent of 5 mgs Valium.

I've run out of Valium too soon and was only able to get Xanax from drug dealer. But I don't wanna start getting stuck into Xanax any more than is necessary to cover my arse until I can pick up next lot of Valium...

Also Xanax hits alot quicker and has a wayyyyy shorter half life

Shite! I'll stick to .5 mg of Xanax then, til I get my Valium.

I'm supposed to only take 5 mgs Valium a day but tbh recently it's been at least 10 mgs a day which is why I keep running out .... last couple of weeks have been getting Xanax from dealer to bridge the gap. But wouldn't wanna get physically dependent on Xanax - its practically impossible to get a script for it in Australia. You have to see a shrink- it's schedule 8.

Practically impossible to get a script for Valium, actually! Wish GP would just LET me take 10 mg Valium per day. Way things are going I am getting even more fucked up...

Yea for the best. Good luck.
Xanax addictions are no fun at all due to how potent it is and the extremely short half life, can cause some major clucking 🐔

@MrsGamp
Maybe tell them 5mg isn't enough..dont ask for 10mg... Just put it across that a box (or bottle or whatever it is you get) of 5s, and the same amount of 2mgs would really help...

Maybe dont say you've been taking 2 x 5s, and definitely don't tell them you've been scoring Xanax, say you take 1 and then end up snapping one in half by the end of the day to stay ok, therefore you're running out before the end of the month

Yea for the best. Good luck.
Xanax addictions are no fun at all due to how potent it is and the extremely short half life, can cause some major clucking 🐔
Yeah I am shit scared of Xanax, the Valium dependency is bad enough..
And now am nervous cos I didn't realise 1mg Xanax is same as 20 mgs Valium, and last couple of weeks, quite a few days I've had 1 mg Xanax. I hope this doesn't mean that when I'm back to just Valium, I'll get WDs from inadvertently upping the benzo intake to an extent that Valium won't handle it ...

@MrsGamp if you start taking 0.5mg of Xans now every day before you get your 5mg vallys back you should be fine 👌
Maybe even try taking a third or a quarter of one see how you feel?

Still I suppose it has only been a couple of weeks ... if I absolutely minimise the Xanax intake til I can pick up my Valium I should be okay.

I mean usually to get a benzo dependence you need to be taking certain quantity for three weeks to a month, right?

Oh dear. How I hate benzoes. There's nothing worse than benzo WDs in my experience. Admittedly I've never been heroin addict, which sounds really bad ...but WDs from prescription benzoes is just indescribably horrible - I can handle the headache but not the panicky thing, the tremors and rigidity and insomnia and restless leg syndrome and the muscle dystonia ..

@MrsGamp if you start taking 0.5mg of Xans now every day before you get your 5mg vallys back you should be fine 👌
Maybe even try taking a third or a quarter of one see how you feel?
Will do! Too late today because I already took 1mg Xanax before I read your post!

But yesterday I had just one Valium...admittedly preceding days I'd had a lot more ...oh well, what will be, will be. Best I can do is just to be careful and minimise from here on in ...!

Yea benzo WDs are fucking horrible, without a doubt top 3 of the worst drug related things I've ever been through.

All the best

It's so bad you forget how bad and end up back on them I was over a year off vallies till a few weeks ago

Rather this than fucking mirtazapine though

It's so bad you forget how bad and end up back

Yeah exactly I hadn't done them in about 3-4 years since my detox then few months ago did roughly 10/20mg diaz a night for about 10 days/2 weeks without tapering and ended up with mild WDs for a little while, and even 'mild' ones are fuckin horrible I only bared them for a few days before I had to get some more and did a quick taper down and even after that wasn't comfortable at night for a good week, thank fuck for dph, magnesium and valerian root

Btw as a side note ...
Wei
It's so bad you forget how bad and end up back on them I was over a year off vallies till a few weeks ago

Rather this than fucking mirtazapine though
i'm on the mirtazapine too...makes you chub up, don't it? In three months I've gained 15 pounds. Since I was underweight to start with, so far it's fine, but if I keep gaining at this rate I'll be sort of fat by December...

Yeah exactly I hadn't done them in about 3-4 years since my detox then few months ago did roughly 10/20mg diaz a night for about 10 days/2 weeks without tapering and ended up with mild WDs for a little while, and even 'mild' ones are fuckin horrible I only bared them for a few days before I had to get some more and did a quick taper down and even after that wasn't comfortable at night for a good week, thank fuck for dph, magnesium and valerian root
What is Dph?
Am familiar with the Valerian and magnesium...interestingly the only "natural" remedies that are any use at all, in my experience.
Except of course I have to grossly overdose on Valerian to even notice it...and magnesium is great except it seems to disturb the bowels a bit.

I think the benzo equivalency chart should be loosely interpretated.

I think 1mg of xanax is about 12.5-15mg diazepam (my opinion) Diazepam has stronger physical effects and less mental effects.

There needs to be more than just one facet when comparing them.

If comparing them PURELY on anxiolytic properties then yes, 1mg = 20mg

I think the benzo equivalency chart should be loosely interpretated.

I think 1mg of xanax is about 12.5-15mg diazepam (my opinion) Diazepam has stronger physical effects and less mental effects.

There needs to be more than just one facet when comparing them.

If comparing them PURELY on anxiolytic properties then yes, 1mg = 20mg
By "anxiolytic" you mean immediate sedative properties?

Aha!
Well Valium has long ceased to calm me down mentally, unless I have at least 15 mgs all at once, and even then, it's not until the next day that I notice feeling better.
I mg Xanax, yep, you're right - makes me way looser right away.

And, oddly, prettier. It's like all the creases and frown lines temporarily fall off my face ...sort of "Botox in the brain"?

I am habitually so wound up, frowning is almost my default face. I seem able to relax this on Xanax. That said, I'm minimizing - just had .5 mg tonight, and tomorrow will see how I go on a bit less. It would be terrible to get a Xanax dependency. Even the drug dealers don't always have them...

And, oddly, prettier. It's like all the creases and frown lines temporarily fall off my face ...sort of "Botox in the brain"?

I am habitually so wound up, frowning is almost my default face. I seem able to relax this on Xanax. That said, I'm minimizing - just had .5 mg tonight, and tomorrow will see how I go on a bit less. It would be terrible to get a Xanax dependency. Even the drug dealers don't always have them...

I have resting bitch face and I think when I'm relaxed it gets even worse lol

when I'm calm or focused it looks like I'm in a bad mood

it gets really annoying when I'm feeling fine and people ask "you ok man? what's wrong?" :rolleyes: