• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How potent is Bupropion/Welbutrin?

There is reboxetine, but according to clinical trials, somehow, it's actually LESS effective than placebo, with significant unpleasant side effects.

Years ago I took Wellbutrin for depression and it honestly is pretty effective, it definitely gives you a "happy" type of buzz/outlook and increases your energy level and desire to do something. My cousin was also on it for quite awhile and he had good results from it also, outside of as they increased his dosage-cant recall the amount-he began to be somewhat "spaced out" at times, but its definitely worth a try and I didn't notice any side effects when I was prescribed it and it did help with depression, motivation and energy. Good luck

WB is for all intents and purposes an NRI until it reaches 450+mg, and even then it doesn't bind with much efficacy to DAT

Even after e-mailing Pfizer, I still haven't got a definitive answer as to whether Zyban, the smoking cessation agent, is EXACTLY the same product as Wellbutrin - down to the last molecule??
Zyban is a brand, not a generic etc?

Even after e-mailing Pfizer, I still haven't got a definitive answer as to whether Zyban, the smoking cessation agent, is EXACTLY the same product as Wellbutrin - down to the last molecule??
Zyban is a brand, not a generic etc?

You do realize you can find the entire ingredient list of each online right? And they both have bupropion as the only active, so what if the inactives are a little different, the only thing that matters is dose of the active, and if it's immediate or extended release.Just google search ingredient list of the respective medication you're looking for.

You do realize you can find the entire ingredient list of each online right? And they both have bupropion as the only active, so what if the inactives are a little different, the only thing that matters is dose of the active, and if it's immediate or extended release.Just google search ingredient list of the respective medication you're looking for.

Huge dispute over generic bupropions reduced bioequivalence compared to brand, less efficacy, and induction of more profound side effects.

Huge dispute over generic bupropions reduced bioequivalence compared to brand, less efficacy, and induction of more profound side effects.

Hmmm, I see, yeah that would require more in depth probing, lol. Didn't realize these concerns existed with bupropion, although I have heard it time an time again with other meds, so not surprised. "Induction of more profound side effects", that part is fucked up though, don't understand what could be causing that.

So I'm pretty sure that that issue was exposed several years ago, and they fixed it

Pfff, a plethora of recent anecdotal reports on drugs.com reviews section for bupropion, suggest otherwise.

Last edited:
Recent ones? Has the issue been confirmed as still present?

People say all kinds of things on the internet.

Well - how potent is it?

I guess I'm about to find out.

I compiled a case of clinical studies detailing the efficacy and low profile of side effects for bupropion, brought it to my GP, who previously refused to script it for me, explained everything in detail, and low and behold, next thing he's writing me out a script for 150mg XL.

No sexual dysfunction - WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Have to taper down from 225mg effexor, so we'll see how that goes.

I also see my consultant in two weeks.
I hope he doesn't freak out that I went over his head with this but, he's from the NHS in England, and them docs are extremely difficult to get unlicensed meds from so, I just had to do what I felt was necessary.
I wasn't responding to serotonergics, and clinical trials support the application and potential effect of noradrenergics in that case.
The other option was to switch to a tricyclic, with all them nasty anticholinergic side effects - so, trying bupropion first, seems the logical thing to do.

Link to case report I compiled...

https://www.scribd.com/document/323184869/Bupropion-Efficacy-Support-Points

Thanks for the case report.

I'm struggling to get my GP to prescribe Zyban after I changed to a new medical centre. My new doctor is quite young and very resistant to prescribing Zyban even for on label use.

I was originally taking it to quit smoking (and was quite successful in dramatically cutting down), but almost immediately noticed a huge increase in mood, energy and concentration span. Sexual function was increased but not excessive.

I was not able to tolerate more than 150mg/day as I would get shakes, insomnia and would feel as though my skin was almost burning if I increased the dose to 300mg/day.

I don't understand why such a success treatment for depression isn't available in Australia..

I also experienced no withdrawl symptoms when I stopped taking Zyban after approx 40 days, unlike Aropax or Prestiq.

Thanks for the case report.

I'm struggling to get my GP to prescribe Zyban after I changed to a new medical centre. My new doctor is quite young and very resistant to prescribing Zyban even for on label use.

I was originally taking it to quit smoking (and was quite successful in dramatically cutting down), but almost immediately noticed a huge increase in mood, energy and concentration span. Sexual function was increased but not excessive.

I was not able to tolerate more than 150mg/day as I would get shakes, insomnia and would feel as though my skin was almost burning if I increased the dose to 300mg/day.

I don't understand why such a success treatment for depression isn't available in Australia..

I also experienced no withdrawl symptoms when I stopped taking Zyban after approx 40 days, unlike Aropax or Prestiq.

Tell me about it.
Baffling.

Here in Ireland, I fully intend to look into the reason for its unlicensed status, and kick up as much of a stink about it as possible.
I'm like a dog with bone when it comes to things like this.

BTW I self medicated up to 300, and it's going excellent.

Easily the most functional I've been in the last 7 years, with the most energy etc.

Reducing the dose of effexor was nothing.
I'm still on 75 mg, cause I've read in clinical trials that co-administration with bupropion, it can potentiate its effect - vastly increasing blood plasma levels of both noradrenaline and dopamine.

What is the max dose of bupropion?

I know they reduced it after it lowered the seizure threshold in folk prone to seizures.
I've never had a seizure or anything remotely like that in my life so, I'm willing to take my chances.

I dunno, can it??

Is it??

Is Zyban the same product, exactly, as Wellbutrin.
Are there any differences there at all??

Most pharmacists tell me they pretty much never hand it out now a days.
Not for smoking, not as an AD - but it's the most common AD in the US.

Zyban is just sustained release Bupropion. I have had the Wellbutrin brand SR tablets, various generic Bupropion SR tablets such as Ratiopharm, Sandoz, etc and Zyban. They all worked equally as well as the other in helping the Depression i get. About the only time you will notice a difference in different brands of Bupropion in terms of efficiency and potency is if you say switch to a Extended 24 hour release version of it if you have previously been on the 12 hour Sustained release version or vice versa. Some people do find that the XR version of Bupropion (Wellbutrin XR and various generics) is not as strong as the SR version or as effective in treating Depression. I found this to be somewhat true as the SR version is abit rougher for lack of a better word and has more stimulation which is not a bad thing if you are suffering from Bipolar Depression or SAD.

What is the max dose of bupropion?

I know they reduced it after it lowered the seizure threshold in folk prone to seizures.
I've never had a seizure or anything remotely like that in my life so, I'm willing to take my chances.

The official max dose is 300mg's a day. At this dose and below it your risk of having a seizure is no more then with a SSRI. The unofficial max dose is 450mg's a day if say 300mg's is not working or has stopped working in helping the patients depression. At this dose your risk of having a seizure is a good bit higher then at 300mg's a day which is why doctors usually only suggest it if Bupropion has worked for the patient before so upping the dose is worth the seizure risk.

Why are you taking the Bupropion anyway? If your taking it for Depression or Seasonal Affective Disorder i would strongly suggest speaking to your doctor before you increase the dose yourself.

Last edited:
So they have a 450mg tablet of bupropion on the market (think it's called Forfivo or something. Also, people do get prescribed 600mg of it.

So they have a 450mg tablet of bupropion on the market (think it's called Forfivo or something. Also, people do get prescribed 600mg of it.

That's what I thought.
I knew I had read 600mg was scripted at some point.

Given that effexor potentiates it AD effect (I can link the study results if wanted), I would have to assume it also potentiates its seizure risks...?

The issue I had with doing high dose of other drugs was that, I don't respond to serotonergics and, high doses make me drowsy as hell, reducing my functionality/cognitive function (the symptom I'm combating), and ultimately exacerbating the problem.

I understand with bupropion, it strictly acts on noradrenaline which is not associated with fatigue at high doses, unlike serotonine.

Last edited:
Zyban is just sustained release Bupropion. I have had the Wellbutrin brand SR tablets, various generic Bupropion SR tablets such as Ratiopharm, Sandoz, etc and Zyban. They all worked equally as well as the other in helping the Depression i get. About the only time you will notice a difference in different brands of Bupropion in terms of efficiency and potency is if you say switch to a Extended 24 hour release version of it if you have previously been on the 12 hour Sustained release version or vice versa. Some people do find that the XR version of Bupropion (Wellbutrin XR and various generics) is not as strong as the SR version or as effective in treating Depression. I found this to be somewhat true as the SR version is abit rougher for lack of a better word and has more stimulation which is not a bad thing if you are suffering from Bipolar Depression or SAD.

The official max dose is 300mg's a day. At this dose and below it your risk of having a seizure is no more then with a SSRI. The unofficial max dose is 450mg's a day if say 300mg's is not working or has stopped working in helping the patients depression. At this dose your risk of having a seizure is a good bit higher then at 300mg's a day which is why doctors usually only suggest it if Bupropion has worked for the patient before so upping the dose is worth the seizure risk.

Why are you taking the Bupropion anyway? If your taking it for Depression or Seasonal Affective Disorder i would strongly suggest speaking to your doctor before you increase the dose yourself.

Do you have any links documenting officially recorded stats re the efficacy of SR vs XL??
I heard this anecdotally before also.
I had extreme difficulty finding anything which clearly outlines Zybans nature relative to Wellbutrin.
Do you recall where you read that Zyban is Wellbutrin SR??

And also anything to outline the pharmacology behind the increased seizure risk at >300mg??

Last edited: