• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How potent is Bupropion/Welbutrin?

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Firstly, Wiki has me believe that it's inferior in terms of efficacy to Effexor, Lexapro and Mirtazipine, and equal'ish, to Fluxotine.

That being said, SSRI's didn't do hardly shit for me, especially Fluxotine, so, working on different receptors, which I understand Bupropion does, may be effective?

Mirtazipine does work for me.
And Effexor, also works, up to 225mg, but it's just not enough, not full remission.

So, I'm considering alternatives.

I've been looking at the tricyclics, noradrenaline heavy, like nortriptyline, protriptyline, and desiprimine - which are spoken of as being more activating as oppose to sedating, as most tricyclics are.
And I like activating, cause I'm battling depression induced fatigue a lot.

I understand that's another benefit of Welbutrin.
But, I am hesitant about tricyclics as, I've read they can carry some pretty hefty side effects. Urinary retention sounds particularly ghastly, not to mention the other anti-cholinergic side effects (though constipation to relieve diarrhea, and increased appetite, would definitely be welcome).

The other thing to consider is, from what I've read, the brand versus generic names of bupropion, can vary drastically.

The brand name available to me readily, is called, "Zyban", and is licensed as a smoking cessation agent.

From experience, would this carry the same effect as brand name bupropion?
The alternative would be, convince my shrink to script the brand name Welbutrin, and have the pharmacist import it...

Anyways, basically in terms of the overall potential efficacy of Welbutrin...?

I know "it's subjective", etc etc, but some anecdotal reports, basically sing it's praises.
Where as others describe horror stories of induced nightmares, hypertension, loss of appetite, rage etc...

So I turn to the all knowing bluelight forum, for their all knowing opinion.

Please feel free to share with me any knowledge you have surrounding this matter.

bupropion is pretty much bupropion.. zyban is just another patent for a different purpose. And sometimes a way to get insurance to pay for brand name. As far as generics there are some people who claim they have less response on them. Teva, Barr, Sandoz, etc. Also some respond differently to the IR versus the extended release versions. Can cause irritability and anxiety. sometimes helps with amotivation where other ad's dont. depends on your flavor of depression. Personally Ive never had much luck with it in the long term.
For the TCAs Im sure you can look up all the interactions (like fluoxetine) and the possible side effects. constipation, urinary hesitancy and retrograde ejaculation are pretty common at therapeutic doses from what Ive seen. As an augment maybe not so bad. They work good on mild pain and if you have allergies you may get a benefit from the vasoconstriction they can cause.

johnboy its not very potent. take the whole package

johnboy its not very potent. take the whole package
Seriously?? are you an idiot? Yeah, don't listen to this guy. Anyway, bupropion can be effective for some where other antidepressants are not, depends on the person and their specific neurochemistry and such. I don't know what your specific disorders are or what you're looking to get out of it.

Low mood, unipolar endogenous depression. Purely endogenous.
Severe endogenous refracted depression. Life long.

Prozac did nothing, lexapro a little.
Effexor is good at 225, but intolerable above that.

Like I said, the considerations are, the neurotransmitter Welbutrin works on - noradrenaline as oppose to serotonine - could be good for me cause, effexor was best above 150.
And, the brand name versus generic.

It's worth a try if SSRI's/SNRI's aren't working for you. All medications have potentially horrible side effects but only a small amount of people end up getting them. It isn't going to cause brain damage or kill you and if you do get a side effect that is intolerable for you, you can stop taking it. People tend to do research and overplay the possible negatives and sometimes miss out on something that can really end up improving their quality of life.

I say, it's definitely worth a try. I know how debilitating depression can be and this one can definitely help with amotivational syndrome.

Well-Butt is good stuff, just don't start snorting it. Speed-type buzz w/ gnarly comedown :)

Hello, I have struggled with severe depression for many years, a couple years ago I was so depressed I attempted suicide multiple times, I was hospitalized each time and after recovering in ICU was admitted to the physciatric ward, each time they would put me on different cocktails of anti-depressants and anti-physcotics, I mean I was so depressed that my doctor actually considered electroshock therapy!!! Finally they tried bupropion 300mg ER with 10mg of abilify daily, and it worked beautifully, after about 6 months my doctor took me off abilify and kept on the bupropion and I feel great, I'm not recommending abilify because it's really only supposed to be used as a last resort in severe cases (although it is one of the most prescribed medications) abilify is a very strong drug with very serious side effects, but as far as the bupropion by itself I've had virtually no negative side effects only happiness and it seems to give me a little bit of energy, I know everyone is wired differently and every drug is going to effect each individual differently, but in my opinion if you are seriously depressed it is well worth it to try any medication that might help you, depression untreated can ruin people's lives, oh yeah, I've also had both the brand name "WELLBUTRIN" and the "generic" brands and I did not notice any difference between them, good luck :)

Hello, I have struggled with severe depression for many years, a couple years ago I was so depressed I attempted suicide multiple times, I was hospitalized each time and after recovering in ICU was admitted to the physciatric ward, each time they would put me on different cocktails of anti-depressants and anti-physcotics, I mean I was so depressed that my doctor actually considered electroshock therapy!!! Finally they tried bupropion 300mg ER with 10mg of abilify daily, and it worked beautifully, after about 6 months my doctor took me off abilify and kept on the bupropion and I feel great, I'm not recommending abilify because it's really only supposed to be used as a last resort in severe cases (although it is one of the most prescribed medications) abilify is a very strong drug with very serious side effects, but as far as the bupropion by itself I've had virtually no negative side effects only happiness and it seems to give me a little bit of energy, I know everyone is wired differently and every drug is going to effect each individual differently, but in my opinion if you are seriously depressed it is well worth it to try any medication that might help you, depression untreated can ruin people's lives, oh yeah, I've also had both the brand name "WELLBUTRIN" and the "generic" brands and I did not notice any difference between them, good luck :)

That's the critical info right there.
I know it's basically anecdotal but, it's good to hear some feedback in that capacity at least.

I have tried almost every anti-depressant on the market and even ECT (electro shock). Wellbutrin 450mg of the XL combined with 120mg of Cymbalta, (both generic formulations)have worked the best for me. Wellbutrin had an almost immediate effect, with moderate mood boost, and a little bit of excess energy. Like has been said, everyone's neurochemistry is different, so please proceed with caution. Wellbutrin can lower the seizure thresh-hold, although seizures arise in a very small patient population. Best wishes.

Bupropion is very potent. It just happens to also be an very equipotent nicotinic acetylcholne receptor antagonist. One of these exists presynaptically and controls dopamine release.

This counteracts its DRI activity.

If it's so effective and well reputed, why isn't it licensed as an AD in Europe??

It's prescribed for use to quit smoking - at least in the UK - as Zyban, can't it be used "off-label"?

I dunno, can it??

Is it??

Is Zyban the same product, exactly, as Wellbutrin.
Are there any differences there at all??

Most pharmacists tell me they pretty much never hand it out now a days.
Not for smoking, not as an AD - but it's the most common AD in the US.

Buproprion is buproprion as far as I know, Zyban is just another brand for the instant release form, IIRC.

Are any of the tricyclic antidepressants approved for use? Because those are adrenergic as well as serotonin-effecting.

Well, there's Imipramine.
Amitriptyline.
Prothiadien.
Nortriptyline...

But from what I gather, they are all associated with significant sedation, as well as sexual dysfunction - neither of which are associated wtih Bupropion.
Not to mention other anticholinergic side effects, such as the dreaded urinary retention.
Not my idea of a good time.

I know Cymbalta has a better ratio to noradrenaline, but it still favors serotonine by about 10x.

I'm just curious - how would the medical profession overlook this, on the basis of it's proven efficacy, it's possible application as an alternate approach, and positive clinical trial results??

Oddly enough, Desipramine, the tricyclic least associated with sedation, is not approved.

It's like they're playing a dirty game with us here in Europe.