• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

how long till i can re-dose codeine?

onlyone3232

Ex-Bluelighter
I had .4g about 4-5 hrs ago. I now have .8g in the freezer. (im trying a higher than the ceiling dose to see how i feel)
anyways i know its pointless to re-dose codeine cuz it doesnt work as well but how long should i wait till i can re-dose with full effects?

u think 5 hrs should be long enough??

edit: btw i left it in the freezer 5 mins to long & it only JUST started to freeze at the sides on the top. like i said its only a tiny amount at the top but does anyone know if freezing the water with codeine in it destroys it. can it just be thored & will still work.

im only curious as there isnt enough of the water frozen to make much of a difference to the dose.

Last edited:
This is probably a bit late, sorry.

Codeine redosing does not work well at all IME - the effects are greatly reduced.

Codeine inhibits it's own metabolism to morphine, so you need to take it all in one go - if you redose while there is still a lot of codeine in your system then it won't work (codeine is a prodrug, meaning it needs to be metabolised to get any effects). However, codeine-6-glucuronide (C6G) also plays a role, as well as morphine, and this is produced via a different metabolic pathway. I don't think codeine inhibits this, so it should still work. Opinions vary on how much of the codeine high comes from morphine and how much doesn't, but it is likely C6G does have a significant role.

Codeine's half-life is 3 hours ish, so I would wait more than 5 hours to make sure most is out of your system.

Freezing should not affect it :) I think, anyway..

Last edited:
What freezes generally in the first 15 mins is just paracetamol and should only aid purity, yeah and Effie is spot on with the info and stats. If you want detailed answers on CWE there is a new dedicated thread on it, discussion of methods on CWE of codeine are prohibited outside of that thread.

is 400mg of codeine safe to take?

that's like taking 13 tylenol 3's...

Yes, although you have to remember codeine is pretty unique in that around 350-400mgs the enzyme in the liver that metabolizes it is used up, so at some point it is futile to take more. As long as your liver is healthy it shouldn't have too hard a time taking on that 3.5-4 grams of acetaminophen if your not planning a CWE.

Yes, although you have to remember codeine is pretty unique in that around 350-400mgs the enzyme in the liver that metabolizes it is used up, so at some point it is futile to take more. As long as your liver is healthy it shouldn't have too hard a time taking on that 3.5-4 grams of acetaminophen if your not planning a CWE.

Not strictly true :) codeine metabolism is complex and not fully understood. It also varies greatly from person to person, with some people actually lacking the enzyme needed to convert it to morphine and other people being particularly good metabolisers.

As I said in my earlier post, 5-10% of codeine is converted to morphine. There is also another active metabolite, codeine-6-glucuronide (C6G) - opinions are divided on how much this is responsible for codeine's effects but it is likely it does have a significant role, at least in some people. This metabolic pathway doesn't become saturated at 400mgs as far as I am aware. From personal experience, and the experience of others on here, taking more than 400mgs can most definitely get you higher, although YMMV..

The other quirk about codeine is that it actually inhibits it's own metabolism - so it is far more effective taken in a one off dose. Until that dose is out of your system, subsequent doses will not be as effective. Codeine's half life is 3 hours so you need to wait longer than that really if you're taking recreational doses.

In terms of APAP, it is not recommended that you consume more than 2000mgs in one go and 4000mgs in 24 hours.

Hi,

First I'm sorry for commenting on a thread so old. I just have a quick question: I took 5 30 mg codeine phosphate at 10 AM today, Would taking another 5 (150mg) at around 4 PM be safe?

You need a good nights sleep before you can get "high" again . redosing is only good for keeping heavy withdrawals from creeping up during the days progression

You need a good nights sleep before you can get "high" again . redosing is only good for keeping heavy withdrawals from creeping up during the days progression

Thanks for the reply. I've read some people can get high again after 6 hours, is that incorrect?

For fuck sakes dont take 800mg codeine! I did it and it was awful i didn't feel good at any point and i ended up puking and having dysphoria (opposite of euphoria).

Thanks for the reply. I've read some people can get high again after 6 hours, is that incorrect?
Well, When I take hydrocodone in the morning and the effects are diminished by noon, redosing does make me "Feel it" again, but its nothing like getting a good morning high at all. It's more of a maintenance dose . With these type of pills your highjacking your MU opiate receptor with pseudo endorphin so it makes sense that once you flood it, you need to wait for it to clear out before you can get the good effects once more otherwise you're just asking to become a junkie like me who barely feels much and only has brief highs and just needs the shit to function

For fuck sakes dont take 800mg codeine! I did it and it was awful i didn't feel good at any point and i ended up puking and having dysphoria (opposite of euphoria).

800mg? No, my first dose was 150mg and I'm considering taking another 150mg 6 hours later.

If you CAN'T resist a re-dose , you definitely have a dependence issue even if you're not physically addicted. Me, If I have a supply I can't resist. Just a heads up.

Well, When I take hydrocodone in the morning and the effects are diminished by noon, redosing does make me "Feel it" again, but its nothing like getting a good morning high at all. It's more of a maintenance dose . With these type of pills your highjacking your MU opiate receptor with pseudo endorphin so it makes sense that once you flood it, you need to wait for it to clear out before you can get the good effects once more otherwise you're just asking to become a junkie like me who barely feels much and only has brief highs and just needs the shit to function

Thanks for the advice. If I do choose to redose another 150mg 6 hours after my first 150mg would I be risking overdose, or would the first dose be pretty much out of my system?

I highly doubt you'd OD. I mean, you're not nodding off n shit now, right? I don't want to give bad advice because this is a harm reduction site, but I highly doubt you're gonna OD unless you mixed with other downers.

Careful with the re-dose please...
It's a strong indicator that the drug isn't taking you where you wanna go anymore.
I remember a 120mg hydro CWE was an ALL DAY fixer upper. no depression. lots of energy. Great sleep.
Years go by, all it does now is get me outa bed at 150MG

I highly doubt you'd OD. I mean, you're not nodding off n shit now, right? I don't want to give bad advice because this is a harm reduction site, but I highly doubt you're gonna OD unless you mixed with other downers.

Thanks again. I do definatley have a dependence problem, I seem to go from 1 addiction to another. I took 1mg of Etizolam this morning and I'm due to take another half a mg of Etizolam in a minute as I'm currently weaning myself off them. I'm also on seroquel 300 mg extended release which I take each night, but I've been taking codeine with both these meds for a while. I've read of most people taking 300 mg in one dose so 300 mg split into 2 doses of 150 mg 6 hours apart should be pretty safe, right? I think once I've finished the codiene that I have I'm going to seek professional help for my constant addiction to one drug or another.

Last edited: