• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long can a person stay awake before they go mad?

Jane-> Sucks to hear about some of your extreme states. So did you take the benzo? What's so bad about benzo (other than tolerance) if it was working?

______

On a completely different note:

Thanks everyone for the hope! Today is my 3rd morning and spent 2 nights awake. I was a little worried about the holiday gathering today but based on the testimony here, I'm good to goooo. Gettin psyched. Need to wrap gifts and set up some more frames.

BL, you are a double edged sword. Addictive as hell, but oh so stimulating what with the endless bits of information inside.

it depends on the person. It was always around the 6th day that the auditory hallucinations would start to get a little out of control. When me and my friend were cleaning in the morning after about a weeks time as well, there was only 2 of us there, but while I was sweeping the carpet(yes, thats right), I was somehow having a conversation with our friend, except for the fact that he was in merced, not with us. The point I was making is that it depends on the person, but its usually around the 5th day is when it gets harder. I've had a friend that was hearing shit in less than a days time though too, she was trippin me out haha

I've pretty much stopped staying awake for days on meth binges like I used to. I still use meth a lot, and sometimes I'll still have one or two nights without sleep, but any longer than that becomes uneconomical as I need to use larger and larger quantities to stay awake and fight off the fatigue. I find it better to take a short-acting anti-psychotic (for me, Seroquel works a charm) each night to force myself to sleep, and then have another hit when I wake up the next morning. I find I suffer no psychosis whatsoever as long as I get some sleep, which leads me to think sleep deprivation is the main factor behind meth/stimulant psychosis.

i heard somewhere that after a certain amount of days without sleep it stays as bad as what it is. Like after 10 days without sleep it will be the same as 20 days without sleep.

Not sure if its true just heard it somehwere.

There is a genetic disorder called fatal familial insomnia that makes it impossible to sleep.

It is incurable, and leads to death in 100% of cases. These people hold on without sleep for between 7 and 36 months. What a terrible way to go...

The death is most likely caused by the prions and not for not sleeping per se.
Being sober, you will probably get psychotic after 4~5 days.
The most I went without sleeping was 4 days when I quit benzos cold turkey, after that I passed out for about 3 hours.

I've worn myself out so much during my years that now just 24 hours will make me start to go a little crazy. 48 hours and I'll be completely losing it. I don't think my body will let me go more than a few days.

^I think 48 hours is about right for people without either tolerance to amphetamines or something "abnormal" about their sleep-wake cycle, so your mileage may vary. The first time I took a high dose (and by "high dose" I mean 60mg) of Adderall I ended up staying up for two and a half days and I was starting to see things moving in the corner of my eye and thought people were following me, etc. I was also extremely paranoid about the police following my cell phone around on a computer screen at the end of that.

I've stayed awake for longer and it wasn't as bad but it wasn't due to amphetamines, so I think that dopamine push brings you closer to psychosis when combined with lack of sleep compared to just not sleeping for a while.

It's different for a lot of people though, just like some people can do six hours of sleep a day their whole lives and other people need 10-12 hours a day.

See, that was what used to happen to me but no longer can I stay awake that long. Recently I just went 48 hours and was FUCKED. On an amphetamine binge, about 200mg a day. I'm still currently on that binge but got a few hours of sleep. That is generally what happens now during binges. My body just won't let me go longer than a couple of days but I've gone almost as long as a week years ago. When I used to binge it would be several days.

I am interested to know because I often pull all-nighters on speed, sometimes staying awake for up to four nights. After the second night awake I start feeling dizzy when I stand up and after three nights im often hallucinating. The visuals and disorientation dont really bother me but I do get a bit worried that I am doing myself some lasting physical/mental damage. Obviously I lose my appetite but I always try to drink plenty of fluids. What do you guys think?
It depends on what drug you're doing (if any), how much and how often, etc. A stimulant can add considerably to the madness, IME, wiping out all perspective so you feel trapped in hell.

At some point, forcing yourself into bed whether you feel tired or not is very helpful. Just decide you're gonna lay down and rest, and not get up... even do the drugs in bed if you can't stop doing them. It's likely you'll fall asleep at some point.
The longest I've been up was 5 days and 5 nights. That's around 120 hours.
Nine here (desoxypipradrol)... that one was hospital-grade, fer sure. It can get suicidal if you feel helpless/fucked enough.

Last edited:
At some point, forcing yourself into bed whether you feel tired or not is very helpful. Just decide you're gonna lay down and rest, and not get up... even do the drugs in bed if you can't stop doing them. It's likely you'll fall asleep at some point.

At that point I would just start shoving benzos in my mouth :/

I've been awake on meth for 11 days before, that's the longest I can remember.

However, there was a situation once that involved much LSD, meth, and various other drugs and I may have been awake longer. I went more psycho that time than I ever have been before or since. It endd up with the police coming to get me after I called them on myself. Then I ended up being guarded in a hospital room for an unknown period of time been fed massive doses ofclonazepam. Never knocked me out, but eventually sedated me to some degree...literally after AT LEAST 200mg. I also had a tolerance at the time.

If you get at least a couple hours of sleep a night, you can last weeks. If you don't sleep at all your mind and body will start to break down after 4-7 days depending on the individual.

yeah, when i'm usually on day 3 I start to get paranoid and start hearing things that aren't actually real. I don't really hallucinate, I just hear really fucking freaky things that make me more scared and paranoid. I remember sitting in my bed on day 3 once I was hearing the following things: my dad yelling my name, my friends yelling my name, people breaking into the house and saying "get some cover he's coming out", somebody knocking on my window and then nobody being out there when I looked, and a some kind of ball being thrown at my window in a threatening way. I never go past 3 days due to these little things because it tends to get scary and worse the more i'm up. Things like these are also why I tend to stay away from meth completely as well.

Things like these are also why I tend to stay away from meth completely as well.

The same thing can happen with regular amphetamine, or even caffeine if you push it far enough...

on the other hand, my friend went 11 days with her new boyfriend which was a rather enjoyable experience for her from what I hear. How I would do if I was in her shoes? Probably go insane. Guess it just depends how far a person wants to go with the drug.

Not sleeping for days is like a drug trip. stay awake as long as you can and write down how things are going,what youve seen and heard. Then sleep. Enjoy it

At that point I would just start shoving benzos in my mouth :/
If the sleep dep. is bad enough, at some point you'll just open your eyes and it'll be the next day, and you probably won't even notice having fallen asleep. Have talked to peeps on BL who sleep on stimulants, albeit rather poorly... you just have to at some point.

Indeed, after a certain point you can keep taking stimulants and they're like sugar pills.

The body's drive for sleep is so powerful, there must be a reason for this. That reason is sleep is needed to survive.