• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How long before you become physically addicted to xanax?

Hello All,

I recently kicked a pretty heavy opiate addiction that lasted several years. I'm almost four weeks clean and to help my kick I've used Xanax, but very limited. I've probably taken 2mg on 5 different days. Never back to back days.

Anyhow, the last week I have not been able to sleep whatsoever and really need to so I can start getting stuff done for work. Xanax is the only thing that knocks me out. I'm thinking about purchasing around 50mg to help get me through the next month and would love to hear you alls advice on how to manage my usage without becoming dependent.

Insidious, congrats on the strength to quit your habit brother, as I'm sure your worst days are behind you. You will be better equipped to fight any withdrawals your experiencing now.

Thanks,
KC

Honestly controlling xanax intake can be very difficult. I would leave it at home and only take it when you need to, I know getting off opiates it feels like you need to every day, trust me. I wouldn't get that many personally cause once you know you have allot its hard to stop taking them.

At the very most just take some to help sleep when need be.

Xanax is very effective at dulling my withdrawal symptoms but now I feel like shit again and I have to explain to everyone I care about why I backtracked after feeling good for ten days. It would be smarter just to stick it out and wait for the withdrawals from opiates to cease.

Im not looking for a lecture, that is exactly how many I had though 60mg in 7 days. I know what they do, I know how I react to them, SON. Thanks though. I tapered, I just know i'm going to want more so Id like to know of a drug that helps with the rebound.

yoo first off. I wasn't lecturing u this is an HR forum and we're talking about benzo withdrawals which are potentially deadly. Was hanging out with a kid from NY and a lot of em say "son" wasn't a condescending thing. Second, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. You just made a thread on BL asking how long before you're dependent on the benzos you pop for fun. So you're just an expert recreational benzo user with no understanding of tolerance or what it feels like to come off them, lol...

My boy seized Saturday so I was just sharing the experience hoping it might help some one realize the severity of a benzo problem. You have plenty of dumbasses responding to your questions. I gave you a real life response. I'm not pissed at your arrogance bc I know you're trying to kick hard drugs. I've been there. Just wanted to help people reading your thread out.

Get some help if you can't get off. Go to a detox or see an outpatient clinic. Keep trying tho, I hope you get thru it.

OK. Lol the son thing threw me off, I know what it means it's condesending to say to someone you don't know. Either way, I get where you are coming from now.

Last edited:
And the fact that it's a horror story, which I have plenty of, I was just looking for advice. I guess there was some in your original reply, but going to detox after 10 days seems extreme.

It only gets worse. Learn from this and follow your own advice. Benzos moderation. Plain and simple, yet complex to follow.

I know what to do, I just can't do it lol. It'll get worse? I thought xanax withdrawal was only a week because it has a short half-life? I figured it'll be even shorter because I didn't actually take them that long... now I'm anxious.

Last edited:
Oh no you're on the road to recovery my friend. I just mean the longer you abuse these types of drugs, the more difficult it becomes to recover from. The withdraw becomes more intense, and more dangerous/life-threatening.

Yeah abusing my benzos has lead me to shit. But I'm fine. As long as I am taking benzos. The only thing that is going to help you with rebound anxiety is more benzos. Either deal with the withdraw by yourself, acquire more benzos and try to taper yourself properly (which is what I would do), or put yourself in a detox clinic. I wouldn't recommend that based on my last experience with detox, but I can't really give advice.

I think benzos are rather tricky to quit because it affects the way you think and how spontaneous and comfortable you become with everyone you relate with. When that changes, it makes you feel weird.
It´s hard to explain, but how can we get back to our normal self without a little help from benzodiazepines
once you´re use to it.

It´s quite challenging to quit benzos in comparison with other substances, including opiates IMO/E.

Last edited:
Well I haven't taken any in four days and I feel better but not good. I still feel like i could sleep all day and my head is still foggy. Its just annoying at this point, I'm ready for this to be over.

You´re lucky when you´re able to sleep during the recovery ... the really annoying thing about withdrawals in general (for me at least) is hyper-excitation from the sudden drop in inhibiting GABA levels but continuous high levels of excitatory glutamate and norepinephrine that the body/brain adjusted to achieve equilibrium with the substance intake ...

For this reason, (moderate) amphetamine cessation is much more easy that coming off downers like benzos or opioids ...

It's not really that I can sleep easily, it's more that I just feel like sleeping cause I feel so weak.

So I see you are already going through minor withdrawal symptoms, therefore you already have the answer to your original post. I just wanted to say that I used to have a minor xanax addiction and was taking an average of 5 to 7 bars a day for around 6 months straight. After hitting rock bottom and running out of bars I was forced to quit cold turkey (something no one should ever do because benzodiazepine withdrawal can be extremely dangerous). Anyway, around the second day of detox I was extremely agile and hyper vigilent, with headaches, trouble sleeping, fatigue, anxiety, and the chills. These only lasted around 3 to 4 days if I remember correctly. On the third and fourth day I vomited none stop, and by day 5 the only symptoms remained were anxiety and hyper vigilance which lasted around another 10 days. To get to my point, from personal experience, that whatever you are feeling is normal, and it does go away. You seem to be through the worst part, so chin up!
Also, I don't know if you drink, but it would be wise to avoid any type of alcohol while detoxing because alcohol acts like a barbiturate on the brain, and is a GABA agonist just like benzos. Drinking will only make your detox worse, even if it isn't excessive. Your brain needs time to go back to functioning in its natural way so I would just stay away from barbs/benzos in general, for a decent amount of time. Hope this helps somewhat! Best of luck!

And the fact that it's a horror story, which I have plenty of, I was just looking for advice. I guess there was some in your original reply, but going to detox after 10 days seems extreme.

Yeah that jackass doesn't know what he's talking about. You'll be fine after 10 days of use, especially if you were only using 6 mg a day.

You're wrong. Xanax is an extremely potent and short acting benzo. I stick with the previous statement. Make no mistake Xanax isn't something to play with.

He is NOT wrong. The truth is everyone is different. When I was in college I would go a week straight taking 2 bars a day and when I ran out of them and money I was fine afterwords. It depends on your own body chemistry.

edit: oops looks like somebody brought a thread back from the dead. NVM.

take a Russian Corvalol ( heart preparant) valerian + phenobarb, be on a SHORT act. benzo, switch to inuff like40-50 drops 2-3 times a day + 10mg valium, wake up every 12 hrs to redose, 2 weeks & Happy byrth day!

may also read jewish rebby Nachman from Uman books not something else... ... !