• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos How long before you become physically addicted to xanax?

Does xanax cause permanent damage if you take it as prescribed? I have heard before and I'm not sure if its true.

There is pretty good evidence that benzodiazepine use, to any extent, can cause dementia/Alzheimer's. There was a case study done not too long ago in the BMJ.

I will say that a lot of the "bars" going around on the street seem to be significantly weaker than, say, the pressed Pfizer pills.

When I hear of people taking 5 bars and still being able to walk around and talk and do stuff coherently, I invite the same folks to take ten blue footballs and see if the result is the same.
That is so true some shit they are pumping out of India China is lucky to be 50% potency they are claiming

There is no set amount of time before dependence kicks in. Here's how it usually works for me:

Take Xanax a few times. > Notice anxiety gradually getting worse in the following days. > Pop more Xanax to control the rebound anxiety caused by Xanax. > Rebound anxiety gets worse. > More Xanax. etc.

Benzos are not safe to take frequently regardless of what a doctor tells you. Withdrawal is hellish and lasts for-fucking-ever. I wouldn't use them more than 2x per month...if that.

You're wrong. Xanax is an extremely potent and short acting benzo. I stick with the previous statement. Make no mistake Xanax isn't something to play with.

I go directly to the pharmacy with two different sources and pick up their prescriptions with them (they pay their co pay, or if they have no insurance, I give them my money to pay for it). I know what my tolerance is, no doubt about it. I only question ONE source I have who sells Qualitest 2090 V bars. I noticed online they sell and actual pill press for these pills so I suspect these are from overseas but do contain some type of benzo because they do hold me over when I can't get the ones straight from the pharmacy. Sometimes they feel super strong, and other times very weak. Leading me to believe these pills are pressed and the mixing for this batch (batch of probably thousands) wasn't mixed too well.

Okay. Your post confuses me a bit, I'm not really sure why you quoted me. Insidious hang in there man.

Thanks for the advice. I took my last dose today it was 1.75mg. Any suggestions for drugs that might help with the rebound anxiety tomorrow? Not opiates... I want to stay away from them. Anything else though? I have clonidine but I can get just about anything.

Everyone has a slightly different definition for the term "dependent." The general urge to redose xanax for a lot of people comes from the rebound effects that come with stopping short term use. Redosing builds tolerance fast as with pretty much any GABA agonist.

Case in point. I had a friend get his hands on around 60mg of xanax. He did the entire bottle in a six day period. He stopped cold turkey 48hrs ago.

I called the paramedics this morning after waking up and finding him coming in and out of Multiple seizures. Certainly the tonic clonic kind associated with benzo withdrawal. He must have seized for fifteen minutes. Coupled with the horrible response time for EMS services in our area, he could have easily died.

^^^^ this morning. Be fuckin careful "popping bars" this shit ain't a game son.

Im not looking for a lecture, that is exactly how many I had though 60mg in 7 days. I know what they do, I know how I react to them, SON. Thanks though. I tapered, I just know i'm going to want more so Id like to know of a drug that helps with the rebound.

Normally, after 12 weeks. It depends in what level of addiction you refer to. I suppose it takes few months to be really addicted.
It also depends if you abuse your benzos or use them as prescribed.

Yeah abusing my benzos has lead me to shit. But I'm fine. As long as I am taking benzos. The only thing that is going to help you with rebound anxiety is more benzos. Either deal with the withdraw by yourself, acquire more benzos and try to taper yourself properly (which is what I would do), or put yourself in a detox clinic. I wouldn't recommend that based on my last experience with detox, but I can't really give advice.

Im not looking for a lecture, that is exactly how many I had though 60mg in 7 days. I know what they do, I know how I react to them, SON. Thanks though. I tapered, I just know i'm going to want more so Id like to know of a drug that helps with the rebound.

Seriously haha! There was someone in another part of the forum calling out a poster asking for help about their bad decisions...like we are not here asking for help to get lectured FFS. Anyways try to find some lyrics or gabapentin, they will help with rebound anxiety, insomnia and all the other shitty feels. Sorry you are dealing with this just tell yourself it's not permanent. On the addiction issue l LOVE me some benzos but have never had what l would consider withdrawals from them...however if l ran out of opiates l couldn't function. I have been clean of all opiates for a little over a week and l am feeling pretty good, but l have hadValium, lorazapam and kpins throughout the week. So l am hoping when l run out l am not withdrawing from them uggh...

I actually feel decent jumping from 1.(whatever)mg rather than 8mg. Way better than opiate withdrawal. I never really had to experience benzo withdrawal cause I just went back and forth from opiates, but I can't go that route. Its probably just mental but in case anyone is wondering I feel decent.

Hmmm, I dunno but I think I'm addicted. I started using Gaba drugs with my Subs(the subs were not helping the cravings alone,plus boredom I think) and its been a lil' over a year. I would go two weeks on then two weeks off of klonopin/xanax and some gabapentin. Then I only had to go every 3 months to my doctor so I was taking them pretty freakin often. Now I'm back to once a month, I take too much... But I know this month the past two weeks I've gone through about 45 klonopin(1mg) 14 xanax bars, then and about 40 football then 45 Gabapentin....now its time dry time and the next few weeks are gonna suck. I'm talking to my doctor cuz I can't do this anymore. I'd be happy with just Gabapentin for anxiety, I only took 1200mg today and it worked pretty good for my really bad nerves... so ya, it really sucked when I had to start going once a month again..I didn't eat(really I couldn't make myself eat) deppressed, extreme rebound anxiety, avoiding all friends, just wanting to sleep all day, but not being able to.. FUCK BENZO W/D's...Pops two klonopin and 600mg of Gabapentin. I don't care if it show up in my pee I'm just gonna tell my doctor I've really have been having problems with my nerves and if I didn't take something I was gonna stop my meds and go bang some oxy or morphine.

To each their own man gabapentin lead me to even greater problems then I already had with benzos. The withdraws are far worse in my experience.

Ya, I usually just take them for a little bit after I run outta benzo's to help with the rebound anxiety, but this time, I mean I got the 45 on the 11th and I have 8 left... been a little to fucked up lately, taking alot of klonopin(4-6mg) with a few grams of that and my Subs...I think I've been on too many vacations and my Subs don't work as well or something, just had a brief relaspe and all I wanna do is just use now. I wanna go on done because it's a full-agonist and I never used benzo's or had problems with anxiety on a full-agonist, only problem is the distnace to the clinic then having to pay for the dose...but I think I might make the switch soon, because the whole time I've been on Subs I've cheated..anyway...ya, I'm rambling and starting to catch a nod from the 5 klonopin and couple grams of Gaba staggered today....

Ok so this is my second day off xanax and I am starting to feel the withdrawal symptoms. My head is really foggy and I can't think straight, which is annoying but manageable. Other than the common symptoms, I have this weird numbness feeling all over. Almost like when your leg goes to sleep and it's painful but you can't really feel it. I just took a shower and it was like I couldn't feel the water... Weird, anyone know this feeling?

I will also mention I have a year and two months off of heroin and other opiates, and almost 6 weeks off of suboxone maintenance. So mixed with the PAWS I feel shitty, but it's really not the end of the world. I decided to skip taking gabbys and just deal with it CT since I was only on 8mg for a week and on less for a total of ten days. I haven't seized up yet, so id say im doing pretty well.

Lastly I might take some magnesium, I heard this might help with anxiety naturally. Who knows.