• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids How does a short term Suboxone taper work w/Oxycodone withdrawal?

I'm pretty much on the same boat as you, I was on 5mg oxy ir after my acl surgery, my surgeon kept giving me refills, i never knew what a WD felt like i was on them for 4 months straight about 60-80mg a day, I would take two in the am before work and 2 or one after lunch and when i got home i would take 4 at a time (20mg). I decided to quit cold turkey while I was already home from work with covid (why not use that time to WD as well). I did and felt terrible prob due to having covid at the same time I decided to quit and go through WD's from hell. I'm also on 2mg Xanax for anxiety and Vyvanse 40mg for my adhd. I managed to not take any opioid for about 5 months until injured my other knee month ago, hospital sent me to my surgeon and he once again prescribed me oxy. I knew I should've said something and asked for something else, but I was in pain with a partially torn meniscus and decided to fill it in case I "Needed" it. worst mistake.

3 days ago I started tapering down on the oxy and im literally just taking it right when I wake up because im waking up in WD and then i take another 5mg oxy when i start to really feel the wd which starts to happen in 8hr intervals. problem is im down to my last 3 5mg oxy. I Took only one this morning and took 2mg of Xanax and 2 unisom sleep aid and im not feeling terrible.

Yes, that whole back story had a point lol
I was feeling irritable last night and had goose bums and all the mild to moderate WD so I decided to google "Help with opioid withdraws", and "QuickMD" popped up basically offering a almost painless way to get off opioids without having to call off work. "Suboxone: aka "buprenorphine-naloxone", it was a 10 min video chat if that, I told him how I had been tapering off and he just said ok, and prescribed me suboxone 8mg/2mg TWICE a day. After reading a bunch about it I for one feel like he gave me a dosage that's to high and he gave me a 2 week fill. I dont even know if i can break it in half. I'm honestly just thinking of feeling like shit for the next 8 days and get through with vitamins and maybe taking 2.5 of the oxy in the am and then 2.5 in pm with some xanax to help wd symptoms.
SO HONESTLY I MAY NOT TOUCH THE SUB just because i dont want to trade one addiction for another.
doubt you'll like suboxone enough to worry about an addiction. I mean it literally becomes null and void after you've been taking it for about 2 to 3 weeks. And creates a stubborn addiction that's completely without any upside.

oxycodone

Just looked up the half-life:

Following a single, oral dose of oxycodone, the mean ± SD elimination half-life is 3.51 ± 1.43 hours

98% of a drug is excreted from the body after six half-lives or 29.6 hours for oxy unless there's liver damage

buprenorphine has a very long half life and can considerably reduce your suffering. Even just one dose

Last edited:
Cut into quarters you have four potent weapons against addiction
I keep reading online that the tabs shouldn’t be cut at all, only the film is. Is it then safe to take just half of the 8/2mg ? I currently tapered down the oxy even more but cutting it in half so I just took one 5mg oxy yesterday and 2.5mg so far today mixed with a bunch of vitamins and About 2.5mg of Xanax because I had to work and I was starting to feel really sick. The 2.5 oxy combined with the Xanax seemed to alleviate the wd. My stomach is a mess so I’m getting Imodium when I get out of work

I keep reading online that the tabs shouldn’t be cut at all, only the film is. Is it then safe to take just half of the 8/2mg ? I currently tapered down the oxy even more but cutting it in half so I just took one 5mg oxy yesterday and 2.5mg so far today mixed with a bunch of vitamins and About 2.5mg of Xanax because I had to work and I was starting to feel really sick. The 2.5 oxy combined with the Xanax seemed to alleviate the wd. My stomach is a mess so I’m getting Imodium when I get out of work
I have 2 1/2 oxys left. If I take another 2.5 tonight and do the same for the next 2 more days should I be ok without taking the sub? I’m really trying to avoid taking it. I went from 80mg daily to just 10 for the first 2 days of tapering and now I’m done to just one 5mg oxy per day cut in half.

I have 2 1/2 oxys left. If I take another 2.5 tonight and do the same for the next 2 more days should I be ok without taking the sub? I’m really trying to avoid taking it. I went from 80mg daily to just 10 for the first 2 days of tapering and now I’m done to just one 5mg oxy per day cut in half.
Also combined the 2.5 oxy with 2.5mg Xanax and 3000mg of vitamin c, oregano supplement, a b12 supplement and two Tylenols to help with the wd this morning.

They always say not to cut or crush or whatever stuff and we never listen do we?
my friends plug was busted and he was fuxxked so he took an 8mg sub and cut it up and started with 3mg then 2 then 1 then .5 .25 5 days rapid taper and was done off he said he didn’t have any withdrawals
the next time I decide I am getting clean clean this is the way I’m going to go

edited to add when I went through withdrawals the thing that helped the most was nitrous I can’t say enough positive things about nitrous it took the restless legs and I had bad pain in my lower back and my ass hurt lol it’s funny but it wasn’t and psychogenic tremors that lasted for ever
anyone else get those?
any emotion I had would ripple through my body with a psychogenic tremor I actually had to google to find out what they were it’s not the chills it’s different it’s tied to emotions

Yep, if you really want to get out of it easy do a quick taper, I would typically start with 8-16mg of sub depending on my habit, then cut in half everyday till I’m at about .5, then you can switch to kratom for 2-3 days at 1/2 -1 tbsp a day, by the time your done with the kratom your feeling pretty good without anything
So you can cut the tabs as well not just the film ? I keep reading online to absolutely NOT cut the tabs. Only the field could be cut. But like I said I think 8/2mg is overkill specially when I’ve been already tapering off my 80mg usage per day to 10mg per day and now to 5mg split in half.

Hi,
I'm getting ready to go off my oxycodone once again. Third times a charm? I thought this time I would incorporate Suboxone to help with withdrawals. I don't want to stay on it long term.

I am taking 10mg of oxy/a day plus 5mg of kratom. Is it possible to do a short term Suboxone to get off these drugs while also using the usual withdrawal aids ie gabapentin, loperamide, clonidine, etc.? I didn't do Suboxone the other two times because I didn't want to trade one drug dependency for another. And the last time I used kratom for getting off oxy but then I couldn't get off the kratom. ugh. I'm trying to do something different this time since the definition of insanity is ...well you know.

Can anyone help me figure this out? I am currently trying to find a doctor who will RX suboxone via telehealth. I suffer from chronic migrianes but at this point I know that oxy and kratom isn't helping my pain levels and I'm just physically dependent on them. Also, I have been on opioids for over ten years.

Thank you kind folks!
Sorry for basically high jacking your post lol but it was the only one that had a similar situation to what I’m experiencing and can relate to . Lol

They always say not to cut or crush or whatever stuff and we never listen do we?
my friends plug was busted and he was fuxxked so he took an 8mg sub and cut it up and started with 3mg then 2 then 1 then .5 .25 5 days rapid taper and was done off he said he didn’t have any withdrawals
the next time I decide I am getting clean clean this is the way I’m going to go

edited to add when I went through withdrawals the thing that helped the most was nitrous I can’t say enough positive things about nitrous it took the restless legs and I had bad pain in my lower back and my ass hurt lol it’s funny but is wasn’t and psychogenic tremors that lasted for ever
anyone else get those?
any emotion I had would ripple through my body with a psychogenic tremor I actually had to google to find out what they were it’s not the chills it’s different it’s tied to emotions
Funny that I’m a dental assistant and have n20 readily available to me. And I do know it helps sleep and calm you down but the next day after nitrous I always feel super tired and depressed. So idk lol

So you're cutting the oxycodone pill but not the Suboxone pill? Imodium will address just the GI distress

Funny that I’m a dental assistant and have n20 readily available to me. And I do know it helps sleep and calm you down but the next day after nitrous I always feel super tired and depressed. So idk lol
I'm not even a dental assistant and I can buy whippets at the store and feel like garbage the next day too sorry!

@eggstatic films are preferable to tablets because they can be cut into smaller sizes equally. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to divide the tablet if that's what you have. I don't know what the size is I've never seen them I only took brand name Suboxone back in 2012 and only a few times. I don't recommend starting on 8 mg strips when you're on 30 mg of methadone.
And remember don't believe everything you read online!

Godspeed

So you can cut the tabs as well not just the film ? I keep reading online to absolutely NOT cut the tabs. Only the field could be cut. But like I said I think 8/2mg is overkill specially when I’ve been already tapering off my 80mg usage per day to 10mg per day and now to 5mg split in half.
You have so little to worry about and probably only need to take Suboxone 1 to 4 times PRN you're kicking ass

You could calculate the dosages and dissolve the subuxone tabs in a saline nasal spray bottle if the tabs shouldn't be cut but I don't see why, the bupe should be distributed evenly during the tabs.

You could calculate the dosages and dissolve the subuxone tabs in a saline nasal spray bottle if the tabs shouldn't be cut but I don't see why, the bupe should be distributed evenly during the tabs.
The more moisture you add the less you're going to absorb through your cheek and sublingually

I've been on films for yrs n would love to get off them doing it myself. Does anyone have any suggestions